Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Drama Series Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

The temperature is rising, school is letting out and second-tier reality shows are clogging the airwaves – you know what this means, right? Emmy season is upon us! As the balloting process gets underway, culminating in the July 19 nomination announcement, TVLine will be taking a close look at all the contenders in the major races and highlighting our dream candidates — the six shows and performers in each category that we think voters should recognize when they fill out their ballots.

More Emmy Races In Review | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

First up: Outstanding Drama Series. Review the slideshow then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Thursday for our preview of the Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series race!

Tags:

Comments (305)

• Man, recently I kept thinking this would be a 3 way race between Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Totally forgot about Homeland. It’s been a really good year for television. Of course, this probably means Mad Men will win by default again, but I’m hoping for change!

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So far, I’m not that impressed by Mad Men. Too much time was spent on Megan, who I have found to be an uninteresting character. I don’t think it should win this year. I would give the Emmy to The Good Wife.

Comment by Lee – May 31, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Megan is the reason this season of Mad Men has been so disappointing. They should not have wasted so much screen time on her character.

Comment by anna – May 31, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad deserves to win this year.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I would have said Game of Thrones but this isn’t their season. Next season will be based on A Storm of Swords and if they even come close to doing that book justice they will win best drama.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 3 will actually be basically 1/2 of A Storm of Swords…but I totally agree. That book has so much good material. If they can pull it off, it will be very compelling television.

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah I was hoping they would split that book into two seasons, but I haven’t seen anything to make that official yet. Did they announce they are definitely splitting it up? Not sure you could fit it all in 10 eps if you tried.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Book 3 was split into two in many countries (including the UK) due to its size. So Season 3 will be most likey follow Steel and Snow.

Comment by Ruth O – May 30, 2012 08:02 AM PDT
          • It’s been reported as official, a quick google search should find the source, I think over at EW.com.

Comment by D'Arcy – May 30, 2012 09:03 AM PDT
          • Official: http://tvline.com/2012/05/21/breaking-bad-season-5-premiere-date-hell-on-wheels/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 30, 2012 10:03 AM PDT
          • Yeah, the producers had mentioned if the show got renewed book 3 would be split up and then James Hibberd (EW.com’s outstanding GoT Recapper) confirmed it when the show was renewed for season 3. Of course, some of book 3 has even bled into this season as well! Pretty much going forward they will be adapting a “Song of Fire and Ice” and not restricting themselves to the book/season structure. Which is great because that can give them a chance to give certain storylines a chance to breathe naturally rather than trying to fit it all into a 10 episode book adaptation.

They’ve done a great job so far, but just seeing how focused Blackwater on a specific story gives me hope for future episodes that may take similar approaches!

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 10:35 AM PDT
      • I don’t know about it not being their year… last episode was the best most entertaining hour of television I’ve watched in a long time.

Comment by gillian – May 30, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah, that one was kind of awesome wasn’t it

Comment by tyrion's helmet – May 30, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • FWIW, if you were referring to AJ saying it wasn’t their year, he was referring to Game of Thrones, not Breaking Bad. :-) I don’t think anyone could argue that BB put together one helluva season!

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Man, I must’ve been smoking something really good yesterday. My comments made no sense! :-) Sorry about the mix-up. lol

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2012 07:46 AM PDT
        • I haven’t watched episode 9 yet. I know Martin wrote it and it had the biggest budget of the season so I have high expectations.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREE.Breaking Bad 4 was so amazing.

Comment by Mark Almighty – May 30, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

But as a runner up, this year’s Doctor Who was extraordinary.

Comment by Rock Golf – May 30, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I thought I read somewhere that Mad Men didn’t qualify for this year’s Emmys because they were not on the air for a full year so they missed the window for this year. Anybody else remember? Was that last year? I’m guessing not since this article says this would be their 5th consecutive win.

Comment by Ava – May 30, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree totally. The past season was the best Breaking Bad yet and that’s saying something for the consistently best show on TV. Show it some love. My second choice would be Homeland.

Comment by TheBeach – May 30, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want something for ONCE UPON A TIME.
    Robert maybe?

Comment by veronic – May 30, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Robert Carlyle is definitely my pick for a supporting actor nod, with a better than decent shot to win.

Comment by Eric – May 30, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunately, he is submitted for best leading actor, so he won`t get nominated .(

Comment by karo – May 30, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know. It’s a very competitive category and as good as he is as Mr. Gold he’s probably an acquired taste as Rumplestilskin. There are a few choices he makes for that character that seem over the top and oddly unnecessary.

Comment by awards troll – May 30, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are you kidding? Do you know how rampant love of Rumpelstiltskin is? He is probably the best part of the show. He is funny, bizarre, and just off the bat enough to keep you guessing, which is his job.
          And honestly, Jared Gilmore deserves a LOT. He was brilliant this season.

Comment by Carla B – May 30, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Their best chance is probably make-up or special effects. Or music, Mark Isham’s music is gorgeous. Best shot for acting is probably Lana but even she is a very long shot.

Comment by xav – May 30, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Lana Parrilla will get nominated. Her performance on the show is amazing.

Comment by Anita – May 30, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU ! SouthLAnd is a dream nominee. This show deserves a nod (and some exposition can bring more viewers).

Comment by Mehdi – May 30, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Southland deserves something, but I don’t think this year was their best season. It might have been the weakest, but so strong overall. It’s a really worthy drama.

Comment by rubytu – May 30, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLEEEEE!

Comment by Anon – May 30, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get lost…

Comment by Eli – May 30, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Castle, but no. And I can’t believe Smash was even included on this list. That’s like a slap in the face to the rest.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, while OUAT and Revenge are insulting as well. I mean, really…
        Nominees should be:
        Breaking Bad
        Game of Thrones
        The Good Wife
        Homeland
        Mad Men
        Sons of Anarchy

Comment by Saint Alicia – May 30, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Great list. Except for one choice, these were the ones I voted for also. I don’t watch The Good Wife so I would substitute either Justified or The Walking Dead (those two were a toss-up for me for #6)

Comment by TheBeach – May 30, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I vote Justified!

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 12:49 PM PDT
          • I hear ya. Actually I used to watch both Justified (gave it up for time constraints) and Walking Dead (show has lost it’s way, imo), so they were out. Haven’t felt compelled to quit The Good Wife for any reason though, hence it’s inclusion. ;)

Comment by Saint Alicia – May 30, 2012 04:02 PM PDT
          • DEFINITELY,BUT I WOULD SUBSTITUTE B.BAD FOR JUSTIFIED& M.MEN FOR THE KILLING!! BOTTOM LINE..IT’S SONS ALL DAY EVERYDAY FOR ME!!!!:-)

Comment by cynsaks – June 6, 2012 11:56 AM PDT
        • How can you say OUAT and Revenge are insulting? They were both among the most-watched and positively reviewed series for ABC. Plus, the acting, writing and set designs were spectacular for OUAT. I hope they get some form of recognition, despite it being a genre show. Stop being judgmental to both shows!

Comment by Cecilia – May 31, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Once Upon A Time is the BEST show on TV in a long, long time, thanks to exemplary writing and the stellar acting abilities of Robert Carlyle (Rumpelstiltskin/Mr.Gold)! There is no other actor or actress currently on TV that can match his range and depth of emotion.

Comment by Nicole – May 31, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ?? Of course there is. Robert Carlyle does a great job, but he is by no means the only, or the best.

Comment by Juliet – June 1, 2012 09:03 AM PDT
    • one of the most entertaining and well written shows.

Comment by sam – May 30, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!!! Where is CASTLE??? Surely, given all the above choices Castle should at least have been on the list!!!

Comment by P Koester – June 5, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand how NCIS never gets nominated for anything. Number one scripted show on tv and yet it never gets the recognition it deserves…ridiculous.

Comment by Steph – May 30, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since when are ratings in direct correlation to a show’s quality?

Why don’t you give a shout-out to Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Jersey Shore, True Blood and Two and a Half Men while you’re at it, then. ;)

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 30, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, way to lump things together.

Comment by wwll – May 30, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Marin’s comment is perfectly valid in response to Steph’s. NCIS gets its kudos in the form of massive viewership. The shows that can’t possibly generate that kind of mass appeal get awards.

Comment by kudos troll – May 30, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Critical darlings and mass appeal tend to be mutually exclusive. I (usually) don’t mind the latter, but it just isn’t appointment TV for me. If I’m going to waste my time watching TV, I’d rather believe I gained some perspective while I’m at it.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with this. I watch reruns of reruns of this show since there is so much garbage on TV.

Comment by Dee – May 30, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Popular does not equal good.

Comment by Ari – May 30, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. NCIS is a top rated show and has lots of followers yet it hasn’t been nominated for an emmy nor any of its actors. What is going on and what can we do about it

Comment by Barbara – July 19, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about some Fringe love! If we don’t get it from you guys, we sure aren’t going to get it from the ones who really count.

Comment by Erin Morris (@EMo1281) – May 30, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because they’re talking about Emmys. Fringe isn’t getting Emmys. Fringe will never get Emmys. Maybe some technical thingy but nothing for acting, writing, directing or the show itself. Ever.
      also p.s. way to ask for something, tell people they don’t count

Comment by reality troll – May 30, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Fringe isn’t even getting TCA…

Comment by Barbie – May 30, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I voted for Fringe in the Other category. I agree with you that there needs to be moe Fringe love. Why was it not even an option? If you can put Revenge and Once Upon a Time in your lineup, well then Fringe should be included also.

Comment by elr – May 30, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, as entertaining as I find Revenge and OUAT, the quality of the acting and writing are not up to the caliber of BB, MM, or Homeland. The only 2 network shows I see deserving to be considered in such an elite field are Fringe and TGW. I know Fringe fans keep saying it, and I’ll just add to the choir, that if nothing else Jon Noble needs to be recognized for the work he has put in on this show. I hope they submit ‘Letters of Transit’ or ‘Worlds Apart’ for consideration, it is undeniable he belongs in the likes of Bryan Cranston(who should win), Hugh Laurie, and Jon Hamm who have become staples in the category.

Comment by CR – May 30, 2012 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they got some nerves, not nominating fringe, right? HAHAHHAHa
      even not with the marlyn streep of tv *sarcasm* on that show aka the very bland, robotic so called actress,

please, the only person on that show who deserves to be nominated is and always will be JOHN NOBLE

even with the bad material on season 4 , john rose above the material, but that chick there only shines when the material is very, very good.

a good actor/actress makes every performance look good even when the script is not so good.

and she, has failed miserably. if she was “THAT any good” like some of her delusional fans claim. than she would have been noticed a long time ago.

but yet, in season 4 the critics only praise JOHN NOBLE.

Comment by reality check – May 31, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Homeland, Southland & Mad Men.

Comment by Tran – May 30, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad all the way!

Comment by Pol Gas – May 30, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can Game of Thrones not be a Dream Nominee? Not one disappointing episode this season. The quality has been outstanding. I agree with Homeland. If Mad Men wins this year it will be a travesty.

Comment by Monica – May 30, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you not see GoT in the poll above? It’s there. lol

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Read Monica’s post again.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 30, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I still interpret it the same way as I did before I commented. But, yeah, I guess I can see how it could be just commenting that GoT “HAD” to be there and it was.

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, Mike. In the slide show, shows that TVLine wants to win have a banner on top that reads ” Dream Nomenee “. There is no such banner on the slide for Game of Thrones. That’s what Monica is saying.

Comment by Jon – May 30, 2012 04:00 PM PDT
          • Thanks Jon…I got it now. I made the same mistake on the Lead Actor post too! lol

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2012 07:48 AM PDT
    • “Not one disappointing episode” isn’t a very strong argument. I would rather give it to a show with a disappointing episode or two and a few truly great episodes than one with “not one disappointing episode.” This season hasn’t been that. It’s been strong, but it hasn’t had a single episode I’ll talk about a year from now, at least not yet. I expect more for a show to earn the Emmy. (I may not always get that from the actual Emmy winner, but I still expect it.) Saying that a show should win an Emmy because it hasn’t been disappointing – that’s setting the bar way too low.

Comment by ChynnaBlue – May 30, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • one question: you didn’t watch Blackwater did you?

Comment by andrew – May 30, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. I believe it should be a combination of both excellent episodes and a high baseline level. While I am convinced that most cable dramas manage to create first-rate episodes each season and even most network ones, consistency in the level is far harder to obtain and thus it should be more valuable. For me, each episode of Game of Thrones this year has been just purely amazing to watch, both for the performances (Tyrion, Cersei and Arya above all) and for thrilling and compelling storytelling. There have been highs (the Blackwater episode is one of the best episodes of television I have ever seen. Craftly written and executed and I will be talking about it for years) but no lows to speak of. The same can be said for Homeland (The Weekend being my favorite episode) and also for Boss (the finale and the penultimate episode were incredible) but I don’t think that it can be said for the clear frontrunner that appears to be Mad Men. An Emmy-winning show should never contain an episode so bad as Episode number 10. It just shouldn’t.

Comment by Monica – May 30, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • IMO Game of Thrones is too esoteric to win. I stopped watching it after the first season because I found it too confusing–and I don’t think I’m the only one who felt this way. Granted, I didn’t read the books. But why should I have to read the books to understand a TV program?! Just based on that I don’t think it should win.

Comment by Lee – May 31, 2012 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I am a huge fan of the book series; however, many of my family and friends are not familar with the world and stories of ASOIAF but are huge fans of the show, which is the case for many fans of the show.

Comment by Olive – June 1, 2012 12:20 AM PDT
  • OUAT can keep dreaming, because the Emmy’s never recognize anything of the fantasy sort. Mad Men was okay this season and why did you put Smash up there?! Feel sorry for people who don’t have HBO or Showtime. And, Castle? No. Just. No.

Comment by Wendy – May 30, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know Game of Thrones is fantasy right?

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah but many academy voters didn’t realize that until the end of the first season and they actually saw the little dragons. And even then a good portion of them were probably staring at the naked blonde and wondering what part of Europe Westeros is in.

Comment by nerd troll – May 30, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol…nice. Of course, the season/series did open with some White Walker action….if that’s not hinting at fantasy I don’t know what is! They can only review one episode when voting on BEST DRAMA…I’m not sure if they submitted the Pilot ep or Baelor. I’m guessing they’ll do Blackwater this year which doesn’t have any fantasy elements outside of maybe the wildfire. lol One more point on GoT – Dany wasn’t techincally IN Westeros when she hatched those dragons! :-)

Now onto OUAT (Which really…we need to call “ONCE”) – LOST was nominated for 5 of its 6 seasons and was techincally sci-fi/fantasy but had good ratings and critical success. OUAT is helmed by 2 of the head writers from LOST, has good ratings and critical success as well. It wouldn’t shock me if it was nominated…but with the cable offerings this year…it’s probably going to be a long shot.

Comment by Mike – May 30, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey…Hey….Castle slander will not be tolerated. It may not stand a chance in this field, especially on a list with The Good Wife and Game of Thrones, but it’s a good show.

Comment by Deion – May 30, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its not really, its a fun fluff show at best.

Comment by Eli – May 30, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Game of Thrones is fantasy. Other fantasy shows like Lost and The X-Files have made the cut before. OUaT can keep dreaming because it is not a very good show.

Comment by xav – May 30, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not castle?! vote castle!

Comment by Bea – May 30, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh come on! Seriously haha

Comment by Josh – May 30, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So all your dream nominees bar The Good Wife airs on Cable. Why am i not surprised. I want NEW nominees instead of the boring old ones. Mind you i would like them to split cable and broadcast up and then have one culminating award for BEST SHOW of the year, BEST ACTOR of the year, BEST ACTRESS of the year regardless of what genre because some of the brilliant performances on broadcast tv get overlooked because the so called voters pick shows on cable. Yes the cable shows are brilliant but there are great broadcast dramas, comedies, actors and actresses missing out because of this. Why not split it up then

Comment by greysfan – May 30, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SMASH is on NBC, but yeah, the over-the-air networks aren’t doing well here.

Comment by Rock Golf – May 30, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s because the networks pander to the least common denominator. Cable shows are actual quality and networks are mindless fluff.

Comment by Ava – May 30, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not just make a different category of every genre?!?! Better yet, everyone has a list of their faves and then one by one goes on stage an announces the winner!!! oooh! wait i know- PARTICIPATION BADGES!!!!!

Comment by sarcastic troll – May 30, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If broadcast tv shows want to be considered during award season, they should start putting out shows that are of the same caliber as the cable network shows.

Comment by Christine – May 30, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think any show that has to produce 22 episodes each season would be able to keep up with those that only have 8-13 episodes. That is damn hard.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Networks don’t have to put out 22 episodes. In recent years they’ve actually been adding a lot of “half season” 13 episode seasons. How many shows got picked up for the fall for 13 or less episodes? A lot. It is hard but if you want the awards you need to work for it.

Comment by Ari – May 30, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s typically for the first season, as midseason replacements or to test the waters on particularly expensive shows. If a small order proves successful, the next season will more than likely be a full one.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 07:43 PM PDT
    • They used to nominate non cable show back when CSI, Grey’s Anatomy and Desperate Housewives were in their pride. Now they are few and far between :(

Comment by Barbie Furtado – May 30, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about touch.that show is way better than any of those other shows.clearly.oh and kiefer sutherland should also be nominated for an emmy too.

Comment by ali – May 30, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, get out.

Comment by Giovanni – May 30, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about The Killing?

Comment by Emma – May 30, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That show will be lucky to be renewed after all the backlash over last season’s finale and the misinformation that came out about this season. I read multiple places the producers had said we would learned who killed Rosie earlier in the season and a new mystery would start, but here we are again. Won’t be revealed to the finale. The acting has been really good this season, but the people that are running that show should be fired for misleading fans. Twice.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re ticked about misinformation from the producers eh? oh the outrage…

Comment by okay i'm done – May 30, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It wasn’t so much that it was misinformation, it’s that the producers/writers blatantly lied to the audience. The first few episodes of the first season were spectacular, and then the writing declined and the storyline dragged on for the rest of the season. I stuck with the show because I was told the story would be resolved by the end of the season. Once the season finale ended last year without a resolution to the murder case, I found myself not really caring who killed Rosie Larsen. And then the producer of the show came off very arrogant to me in interviews, so I really have no interest in supporting this show.

The biggest mistake these people can make is pissing off their audience, and that’s exactly what these people repeatedly did.

Comment by Christine – May 30, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • From what I hear, Ryan Murphy lies to the audience on a regular basis. But what are present lies could just be past truth. I loathe to make my creative process public, and I’m not even at the mercy of millions. I think if I were a showrunner, I’d decline to be interviewed unless actually pertinent. Publicity is a double-edged sword.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 12:15 PM PDT
          • Emily, I don’t watch Glee so I am not familiar with the way Ryan Murphy handles the media. My problem with the Killing is that they said repeatedly that the murder would be solved at the end of the season. They put that information out there. No one forced them to make that statement. If I had known the murder case would not have been solved at the end of the season, I probably would har stopped watching before I did, and I assume as least some other people would have done the same.

Then when the backlash happened, the audience was told that the murder would be solved within the first few episodes of the second season. I was already done with the show by then, but I can imagine that people who tuned in we’re pretty pissed off about being lied to again. They again out this information out there.

If its not true, say nothing!! People would rather that than being lied to repeatedly. It’s just not a great way to run a business.

Comment by Christie – May 30, 2012 12:52 PM PDT
          • That’s my point. It could’ve been the truth at one point, but making it public was the mistake.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 01:07 PM PDT
    • The Killing is soooo much better this season as compared to last season. Linden and Holder have me captivated this season.

Comment by scorpiosue1102 – May 30, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU for recognizing Southland.

However, no Fringe? Even in the top 20? But The Walking Dead is your dream nominee? C’mon.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 30, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Walking Dead is an AMAZING SHOW!!!!!!!

Comment by Nicole – May 30, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto. The Walking Dead has great acting, writing, great production, and it’s pure intensity. I like Fringe, but it has none of that.

Comment by Giovanni – May 30, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Fringe!

Comment by Dana – May 30, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen. its definitely in the top ten of these shows. not even a dream nominee? shaken my head..

Comment by kyle – May 30, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed Smash is up there but Fringe isn’t smh

Comment by Mick – May 30, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly don’t mind if Breaking Bad, Homeland or Mad Men win this year. All of them are brilliant. Would be nice to see Damages get some love too, as well as Game of Thrones.

Comment by Dani – May 30, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Touch and kiefer sutherland

Comment by ali – May 30, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Criminal Minds one of best Dramas on TV this season .
      House for great final 4 episodes !

Comment by Matt Logan – May 30, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Luck on this poll? How many episodes aired before they stopped producing the show…8? I would put it in the Best Miniseries Emmy-battle #confused

Comment by karo – May 30, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!!!!

Comment by Hebb – May 30, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was surprised to see that this wasn’t on the list. Amazing show. I literally cry every episode. Hope it gets some love this year.

Comment by Ashly – May 30, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood FTW! I put in as an “other”, but it’s a shame it isn’t even mentioned here. Best real-life show on television.

Comment by AS – May 30, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best show on TV period… I would be shocked to see it nominated but it SO deserves it.

Comment by JustMy2Cents – June 7, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Understand not only can vote only to the ones named

They do not vote

why not leave my favorite series

no vote no for any i like

Comment by forever – May 30, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife is without a doubt, Simply the best “all around” show on TV. And it’s not even my favorite show, but I know it! The acting, the writing, the production is superb week in and week out.

Comment by Jared – May 30, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with everything in this post (with the exception that, The Good Wife IS my favorite show).

Comment by isabel – May 30, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I salute you for being able to tell the difference between what is your personal favorite and what is the best. Not that this applies to the Good Wife, but enjoyment does not necessarily equal quality. There are just some shows/movies/literature out there that I can recognize as being great, but they just aren’t for me.

Comment by Emily – May 30, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Grimm and Castle ??..

Comment by Belle Vamp – May 30, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly, Castle! but It looks like that nobody here wants vote for it!

Comment by Anon – May 30, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I will vote for Castle, but Ausielo is picking the same as last year

Comment by Nan – May 30, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Homeland is the most deserving of even winning among the shows i watch followed closely by Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones. The Walking Dead is another strong show that i loved this season and deserves some recognition. The rest ofcourse Mad Men, Breaking Bad etc will be there with inclusion of Downton Abbey and maybe The Good Wife. Dexter wasn’t quite strong this season, Once Upon a Time and Fringe deserves some recognition too!!!

Comment by Asif Khan – May 30, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What did the Parenthood people do to you that you are always forgetting to mention the show? I´m not saying they will be nominated for Emmy (sadly) but they still should be on this list. Parenthood is superior to many shows here.

Comment by Jana – May 30, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES, THIS!

Comment by soarin829 – May 30, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Parenthood definitely needs to be on the list. Smash definitely does not! And Fringe is top quality. Can anyone explain this all to me?

Comment by Ally – May 30, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Sons need some love.

Comment by Dawn – May 30, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Treme

Comment by Tahoe Mike – May 30, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have lost entire faith in Emmys when I came to know substandard shows like LOST were nominated. I bet a million bucks that these are awards are rigged.

Comment by KS Winchester (@winchesterks) – May 30, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Says this person who is clearly a fan of the less than stellar Supernatural.

Comment by tripoli – May 30, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re evidence for the Emmys being rigged is LOST’s nomination? It was nominated 3 times out of six seasons, and won once. How about Mad Men winning 4 times?

Comment by Sal – May 30, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of all of the shows listed, Sons Of Anarchy was the only one I couldn’t wait to watch later on the DVR! Every episode of season 4 was like a movie…complete with mamoth cliffhangers! Sons Of Anarchy definitely gets my vote!

And I hope to see several of the cast members on the coming lists…especially Charlie Hunnam and Ryan Hurst!

Comment by LonePalm – May 30, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! This show is soo underappreciated. The acting and writing are great, but I do think there are better shows out there, but that doesn’t mean that this show doesn’t deserves recognition. I think they should be at least nominated, and if they don’t win, all is good, at least they got the recognition they deserve. And Ryan Hurst killed it this season, chills upon chills upon chills. The only show this season that packed an equal emotional punch (and wasn’t melo dramatic) was Shameless. Jeremy Allen White was amazing, as was Emmy Rossum!

Comment by Thari – May 31, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Cable stations are having more & more original series isn’t it time to seperate cable from network???

Comment by Kymberly – May 30, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more.

Comment by soarin829 – May 30, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE should be on this list. That’s the legitimate contender that’s missing.

Comment by Pooquetta – May 30, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Fringe and want John Noble to get a nomination for sure. Sadly Friday shows probably aren’t going to get much love.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question: How do Emmy voters decide who wins what? Do the televison networks send in one episode and the voters decide from that or is it other factors too? I’ve always been curious.

Comment by Kel – May 30, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know what other factors come into play, but for the actors their best episode of the season is submitted on their behalf for consideration. I think the same goes for directing and a few others. Not sure about the categories like best drama series.

Comment by AJ – May 30, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They show directors I think send in a number of episodes I think it is normally around 4, but the Good Wife went for 7 or something this year… and the voters sit and watch all the episodes in a row and from there on decide what to nominate. I think there might also be a little bit about publicity of the show…
      The actors send in one episode each they decide them selves or have people decide on for them.

Comment by Josephine Pettersson (@Ladyjosie22) – May 30, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless is by far one of the best shows on television. Sorry if it cuts a little to deep for the softer audience. Know wonder reality TV is taking over.

Comment by Chris – May 30, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES. It is a great mystery of life how William H. Macy and Emmy Rossum haven’t won any individual awards, but the supporting cast and show as a whole is crazy good.

Comment by taylorrness – May 30, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m in a bit of a quandary over Shameless. First of all, I am a HUGE fan of the show but, for me, it’s as much or more of a comedy as it is a drama…the same way Nurse Jackie gets put in the comedy department when it’s more of a drama.

Comment by TheBeach – May 30, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Four words: Southland, Southland, Southland, and… Southland. Let’s get some love for one of the best dramas on television!

Comment by DL – May 30, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s obvious that everyone will vote for their favorite show! so, I vote for castle :D

Comment by Anon – May 30, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What category is Sherlock eligible for? Miniseries? Which would be weird considering it’s series 2.

Comment by Michelle – May 30, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you need a minimum 8 episodes to be a series by Emmy definition. In two seasons, there’s only been 6 episodes of Sherlock.

Comment by Rock Golf – May 30, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No love for Parenthood? Even if it can’t get a series nod, Monica Potter at least deserves a nomination for the stellar work she’s done for the past three years. She is primetime’s most unsung hero.

Comment by Josh – May 30, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So where is “Sherlock” in this? It is easily an equal to the best in this list, and better than a majority of the shows listed.

Comment by randomduck – May 30, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think its eligible since each season is below the minimum requirement for a full season. I think it qualifies as a mini-series?

Comment by Alexis – May 30, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sherlock is a miniseries

Comment by linda – May 30, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome list! Though I don’t really fancy The Walking Dead all that much. Sure it’s fun and the zombies are amazing, but that is the most annoying, unlikeable bunch of characters I ever did see.
    I’d LOVE to see Breaking Bad break though and win it this year over Mad Men, and Homeland certainly would be deserving as well. We all know Emmy loves a shiny newcomer.

Comment by Alexis – May 30, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons of Anarchy has been way better than Mad Men and Game of Thrones deserves a nod too!

Comment by Erin Lowrie (@erninlow) – May 30, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rooting for Game of Thrones and Shameless till the end of time.

Comment by Petra – May 30, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men
    Game of Thrones
    Breaking Bad
    The Good Wife
    Homeland
    Boardwalk Empire
    Downton Abbey

– I think these are the top 7 for sure. The question is which one would be left out, which is quite hard to choose. I wouldn’t be surprise if TGW (which I love, but Season 3 wasn’t as good as 1 and 2) got snubbed. Would this make the first time all six nominees are cable shows?

Comment by Ethan – May 30, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your prediction and i have the odd feeling too that the Good Wife will be left out. Season3 was not that good as the other 2. but you never know the Emmys is more about buisness than quality, so it might not happen. I can`t remember a year where all six nominated shows were cable dramas

Comment by karo – May 30, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SouthLAnd all the way!!

Comment by Shae – May 30, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can I vote for Game of Thrones six times?

Comment by anna – May 30, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LIKE!!!

Comment by LINDA – May 30, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree! Game of Thrones is in my opinion the most compelling show on television and tvline never gives it enough credit. It’s not just “good for a fantasy show” but truly one of the best shows on TV due to superb acting and storytelling. It’s not easy to condense so many storylines and characters into an understandable TV show but David Benioff and Dan Weiss have managed to do just that. The show is amazing and deserves any recognition it gets. I do think an emmy win would only come for season 3 or 4 but the show without doubt deserves the nomination it will most likely get for a great 2nd season.

Comment by Elena – May 30, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of Thrones is my winner this year, but Fringe definitely deserves a nod. John Noble deserves to win Best Supporting Actor. He’s been cheated the past couple of years.

Comment by Nicole – May 30, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood should get recognition!

Comment by sarah – May 30, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOD IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV. Next is HOMELAND and THE GOOD WIFE.
    WHY ISN’T PARENTHOOD EVEN UP THERE?

Comment by Peggy – May 30, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bitch where´s Parenthood?

Comment by I.C. – May 30, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • here is a guess to all of you compaling abotu Parenthood (I don’t knwo it myself) but I looked it up and it is a Comedy/drama hint it might belogn in the comedy category this is only dramashows… Just like Glee is in the Comedy one…

Comment by Josephine Pettersson (@Ladyjosie22) – May 30, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post