Emmys

Emmys 2013: The Lead Drama Actress Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Emmy Best Actress Drama NomineesIf ever a category was primed for a shake-up, it was this one. There are so many potential first-time nominees — from Scandal’s Kerry Washington to House of Cards’ Kelly Capwell… er, Robin Wright — that the question is less who will win than who will manage to win a nod.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series

Review the following slideshow of the major contenders* — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then hit the comments to vote for who you think are the six best. And check back Thursday as we tackle the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama race!

Tags:

Comments (203)

• Whaaat? What about Monica Potter (Parenthood)? She was fantastic!

Comment by jimbo – June 12, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!!!

Comment by Lauren – June 12, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isnt she in supporting actress

Comment by Joel – June 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s supporting.

Comment by Guy – June 12, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Monica Potter has submitted herself for Supporting Actress (I will be filled with white-hot rage if she doesn’t get a nod this year)

Comment by Dizzle – June 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she submitted herself as supporting actress.

Comment by Laura – June 12, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, thanks for clearing it up! I’ll cross my fingers for her in the Supporting category, then. She HAS to win!!

Comment by jimbo – June 12, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • meh, I’d rather see Hayden Panettiere. Her and Tatiana Maslany delivered the performances of the season this year.

Comment by Dude – June 12, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is in the category of supporting actress in a drama.

Comment by L – June 14, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kerry Washington is not one of your dream nominees?!

Comment by marge – June 12, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WAIT!! How could you NOT include Kerry Washington in your Dream Emmy Ballot Choices?!?!?! I mean come on now..this is UN-CALLED FOR!

Comment by Jason Williams – June 12, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Kerry Washington overacts EVERY scene. I used to watch Scandal but it is a show filled with awful character. There is absolutely not one character that has any redeeming qualities.

Comment by Tracey – June 12, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. I had to stop watching, saw the whole first season and the S2 premiere. Couldn’t keep going. You can feel an urge to root for people who do bad things if the characters are written well. The Americans is about Soviet spies–we shouldn’t want to like them because they’re out there killing people, lying, and going up against the FBI, but on some level we’re rooting for them. Olitz is horrible, but it’s clear they’ve been turned into the couple you’re supposed to ship. Nobody is a white hat or a gladiator. Repeating that over and over again doesn’t make it so. As for the show’s style, Shonda’s trying to write like Aaron Sorkin, but his dialogue is a lot more than just fast talking. Saying and doing ridiculous things quickly doesn’t make them better. I feel like S2 of Scandal is the equivalent of Grey’s circa George/Izzie.

Comment by scooby – June 12, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THIS. Spot on, well said. I think the idea of Scandal is good, maybe it’d be better on a cable network. I even like Kerry Washington. I don’t understand this amazing praise she’s been given though concerning her acting abilities (so other posters said..has she been given high reviews? I don’t know..). And Shonda Rhimes… Again I like her, I watch Grey’s Anatomy. Is her writing great? I don’t think so– Not at all. At least greater/better shows are better because they’re written (and usually acted) better.
          And comparing her to Sorkin…..HE IS A GENIUS. At least to me. I love him. I do get your point though. Look at both their scripts, dialogue, transitions…. I’d say nothing alike. Like you said, Sorkin does something amazingly different. I never thought to compare him and Shonda but the talking fast and wordy thing does appear in both of their shows. One does one much better however…. (Sorkin!). The wordiness thing and talking fastness… then I think of Amy Sherman Palladino (Gilmore girls). Also another amazing writer/director!
          But yeah, I’m in total agreement, loved your review. Not sure I’ll be watching Scandal next fall although I’m all caught up.
          Here’s my time to bring up The Newsroom-Sorkin (HBO) and Bunheads-Palladino (ABCfam)… watch them!

Comment by Maddie – June 12, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • DUDE, yes on all counts, especially the Sorkin bit! I’m slogging my way through the first season right now and it keeps beating me in the head (and the presence of Joshua Malina doesn’t help). Shonda and co. really, _really_ want this to sound like Sorkin, who has always added fast-paced verbal sparring with an unyielding fiery wit and several adept swings of the melodramatic-liberal-conscience-bat. These scripts have the fast pace, but the bat they’re swinging is barbed with the hypocrisy of Pope’s actions versus her words and while there may be a number of Janet Evanovichian chuckles here and there, there is very little wit to speak of. Sorkin’s ideological rants have a tendency to irritate me a little when he’s coming on too strong with the sermon, but he’s always been a damned savant with dialogue. There is no such mastery here, and it’s maddening. I think the majority of my frustration is that I’ve heard nothing but praise for this show since its second season. I was honestly expecting a slick political thriller, professionally shot with low-key, subtle performances and dark themes. I mean come ON, look at the cast! Goldwyn, Washington, Malina. These people can pot-boil in their sleep. Instead I find myself watching a show that averages two pop/motown/jazz-fuzed ‘let’s get to work’ montages an episode, transitions scenes using hyper-edits and two dozen camera clicks, and banks on the idea that I’m going to believe Pope is the best at her job just because everyone keeps saying she is, despite all the evidence to the contrary that it keeps throwing at my head. I was unaware that Shonda was the creative force behind this when I picked it up, eager to begin; I wish I’d known otherwise from the get-go. You reach for the Johnny Walker and find out you just drank a Fuzzy Navel, you’re going to do a spit take. Not that Fuzzy Navels are all bad, I mean, I’m still watching the show; I just really wanted this to be Blue Label, that’s all.

Comment by Deatron – December 13, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kerry is listed. Not at all surprised she would be included given the acclaim she’s received all year. The praise in the media and among fans has been consistent.

Comment by Jenny – June 12, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s included in the list, but not as a dream nominee.

Comment by Steven – June 12, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is stana katic ????

Comment by Jinnette – June 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hopefully taking an acting class somewhere.

Comment by Dave – June 12, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I cackled.. ^^

Comment by Lara – June 12, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She acts circles around pretty much every other lead actress on network TV right now…

Comment by John DeMayo – June 12, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL then go watch The Good Wife, Orphan Black, Mad Men, and Homeland and tell me she still “acts circles around every other lead actress LMFAO.

She’s a talented woman, but she can’t compare with the astounding and subtle performances from veterans like Claire Danes, Elizabeth Moss, or even a newcomer like Tatiana Maslany.

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I did say NETWORK television, didn’t I? The only other actress on network TV that competes with Stana Katic is Julianna Marguiles. Both are more than deserving for their work this season no matter how you look at it.

Comment by John DeMayo – June 12, 2013 01:29 PM PDT
        • I can’t reply to your other post but I think it’s funny for you to compare Julianna’s acting on The Good Wife to the actress on Castle. Good one! Now go watch more of The Good Wife. ;)

Comment by Maddie – June 12, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh my gosh! Did ever other lead actress on network tv die!?!

Comment by Naomi – June 13, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s cute. You probably Big Bang Theory or Two & a Half Men is quality acting huh?

Comment by Rachel – June 12, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ***my post was directed towards Dave

Comment by Rachel – June 12, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Whoa there… don’t be lumping The Big Bang Theory in with Two and a Half Men. TBBT has a phenomenal cast — all of whom are deserving of Emmy nods. “Men” has Ashton Kutcher and Jon Cryer.

Comment by John DeMayo – June 12, 2013 12:43 PM PDT
        • Clearly you don’t watch TBBT. This year the supporting cast especially turned in fantastic work. The episode revolving around the letter from Howard’s father was stunning and should land at least two nominations.

Comment by Trip – June 12, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol thanks for that, Dave. Agreed.

Comment by CJ – June 12, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dave, you’re my hero. You said what I’ve been thinking for years.

Comment by Lindsey – June 13, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keri Russell for The Americans (Killer performance!!)

or

Ellen Pompeo for Grey’s (About time, the leading lady gets appreciated for her awesome portrayal from Dark and Twisted intern to a happily married Surgeon!)

Comment by Rivera – June 12, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My choices would be :
    Julianna Marguiles
    Claire Danes
    Ellen Pompeo
    Michelle Dockery
    Lauren Graham ( why isn’t she even mentioned?! )

Comment by alwayshappy – June 12, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forgot to mention Emily Deschannel!

Comment by ingmarhappy – June 12, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My choices:
      Juliana Marguiles
      Lucy Lui
      Claire Danes
      Tatiana Maslany
      Elizabeth Moss
      Emmy Rossum

With the Emmy going to either Claire Danes for that stellar performance in Q&A ( I honestly can’t stop gushing about it) or Tatiana Maslany in a MASSIVE upset (wishful thinking I know; I’ll be over the moon if she just manages to score a nod)

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m such an idiot!! Replace Emmy Rossum with Keri Russell. How could I forget that astounding performance??? If anyone if going to cause an upset and snatch the trophy away from Claire Danes, it’ll be Keri Russell.

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lauren Graham is in supporting. If anyone wants to see who submitted and in what categories for acting, go to the link I’m putting in at the bottom. So far the funniest one I have discovered is that Amy Schumer oddly submitted herself in supporting for her show, Inside Amy Schumer. Who are you exactly supporting, Amy?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 12, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that someone else thinks “Kelly Capwell” when seeing Robin Wright…#SantaBarbara

Comment by Dawn – June 12, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not the only one. Despite doing film and TV work for over two decades, I still think of her as Santa Barbara’s original Kelly.

Comment by ChrisGa – June 12, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She will ALWAYS be Kelly Capwell! “If ever you’re in my arms again…”

Comment by MrMank – June 12, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is always Kelly for me too. I can’t help it.

Comment by Shy – June 13, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn between Kerry Washington and Tatiana Maslany.

Comment by nich – June 12, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about Emily VanCamp (Revenge)?

Comment by bob smith – June 12, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^This

Comment by Sarah – June 12, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emily VanCamp had an AMAZING 2nd season on REVENGE!!!! Good call!!

Comment by Dave – June 14, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keri Russell
    Ellen Pompeo
    Claire Danes
    Mary McDonnell (Major Crimes)
    Lucy Lui

Comment by Eric7740 – June 12, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If McDonnell didn’t get an Emmy for Battlestar Galactica, she ain’t gettin’ an Emmy for anything!!

Comment by MrMank – June 12, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why no emily deschenel

Comment by jim smith – June 12, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mi voto es Ellen Pompeo

Comment by mar – June 12, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TATIANA

Comment by brycealexander – June 12, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll be happy if she scores a nod. I’m not sure she nor Orphan Black are well known enough for her to pull a win :(

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way should Connie Briton score a nod over Hayden! Hayden is the only reason I keep watching…she was awesome all season long and she can actually sing! On another note, Kerry Washington to should definitely be in there for Scandal!

Comment by GS – June 12, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Connie Britton, but I have to agree with you on Hayden Panettiere. She had some pretty juicy material this season. That scene by her mother’s casket and where she freaks out before the CMAs? Impressive.

Comment by Aprilcot – June 12, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hayden Panettiere was submitted to support….so she won’t even be in this category.

Comment by Sina (@vodka_n_caviar) – June 12, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why was she submitted as supporting? Both Hayden and Connie are the leads in Nashville. Neither had less scenes than the other.

Comment by Ally Oop – June 12, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So Hayden has actually a shot to get nominated?

Comment by Jean – June 12, 2013 03:03 PM PDT
    • I just finished posting the same thing before I read the comments. Hayden was AMAZING this year and definitely should get the nod over Connie. Connie was good but Hayden just knocked it all out of the park.

Comment by Ally Oop – June 12, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe she will get nominated in her category (support). Chances are slim but she deserves it.

Comment by Jean – June 12, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they are in 2 different categories so that they both have a chance and I do agree that Hayden had an amazing season and she deserves a nomination, though if she is nominated I would still go for Monica Potter ftw in that category. I do hope that Connie gets the nomination even though its a very crowded field and she is very good.

Comment by juan – June 12, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Hayden is gonna be submitted for the supporting category and Connie is being submitted for the lead category.

Comment by Caelin Cripps – June 18, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana could fill all 6 slots for me. She is amazing and I really want to see her get a nod here.

Comment by Gabe – June 12, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she’s a shoo in for a nomination, I think the only thing blocking her from a win might be Claire Danes, critics just love her. The fact that not only does Tatiana play each character distinctively is impressive. The fact that you can tell when she is playing a character impersonating one of the others is amazing. Love love love the episode with Allison’s potluck party; I hope that’s the one she submitted for consideration.

Comment by Cassie – June 12, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana for the win.

Comment by Linderella – June 12, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vera Farmiga and Hayden Panettiere are the only two that I really feel strongly about. Bates Motel may have been up and down this season, but Vera was on point in every episode. The way she zips from cheery to vengeful and back again is scary good.

Comment by Aprilcot – June 12, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I care about is from the only one of these shows that I watch. Michelle Dockery on Downton Abbey.

Comment by lyn – June 12, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen Pompeo for an Emmy! Long overdue, well deserved.

Comment by BP – June 12, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If someone like Ellen Pompeo wins over actresses like Robin Wright or Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black it proves 100% that the voters do not watch the shows.

Comment by Jenny – June 12, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO. I love Ellen Pompeo and its a shame that she keeps getting overlooked, but I’d like to see her be able to act and create 6 different personalities of what if essentially just herself, and pull it off successfully and realistically. Tatiana has managed to do all this and more especially when a large number of her scenes simply involve herself. It’s an incredibly difficult feat and Tatiana pulled it off with flying colors, and it was much more challenging than anything that Ellen was faced with this season of Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Pompeo was ever going to be nominated (I forget if she ever was) it would be in the first few seasons of the show. That show’s star has long faded. The only Emmy nods it ever gets anymore are for Guest Actors.

Comment by MrMank – June 12, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed but no way will Ellen Pompeo score a nom. She’s not even the best actress on Grey’s nevermind in comparison to these other ladies.

Comment by Ana – June 12, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHERE IS JENNIFER CARPENTER????

As she (as Debra) would have said: JESUS FU*KING CHRIST!

Comment by Sara – June 12, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never mind, realized that she is a supporting actress..

Comment by Sara – June 12, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Connie Britton and Tatiana Maslany!

Comment by Sina (@vodka_n_caviar) – June 12, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of good choices – I’d like to see a few more ‘broadcast’ television nominees, rather than all cable nominees – just to keep things interesting. Connie or Hayden or Kerry? Julianna perhaps? The Parenthood ladies I guess would be in the supporting category? If Ms. Potter does not get a nomination, I’m not going to be very happy.
    All that said, I have to give the nod to Claire Danes (again) in the lead category. Last year when she won for Homeland, I rolled my eyes. But then I started to watch the show. That Carrie scene (THAT scene) last December, where ‘she is turning it around’ w/Brody, and her colleagues are listening in. That scene is hard not to like and laugh; maybe Claire for best comedy actress? If you all get a chance, check out that scene/video online – very funny – the look on her colleagues faces as they listen in – priceless! ;)

Comment by I have to admit - I laughed – June 12, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Mama Taylor, but I don’t think Connie’s work on Nashville (a ok written show at best) deserves a nomination for her work this season. I’ll never agree with the notion that someone should be discounted solely because they’ve worked on a cable show. They should be nominated if they’re deserving and unfortunately I don’t think there are many network actress worthy of nominations in comparison to some of the cable performances that have been submitted.

I mean Elizabeth Moss and Keri Russell have turned in stronger performances than the woman you’ve mentioned IMO. So has Tatiana Maslany. If any network actress deserves a nomination (besides the always stellar Juliana Marguiles) it should be Lucy Lui for some of the fantastic character work she’s done with Joan Watson this season.

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So disappointed that you left out Anna Torv. She deserves to be a dream emmy ballot. Also love Emily Van Camp in Revenge.

Comment by Stephen S. – June 12, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha! Oops. Didn’t read the * part where Anna Torv apparently did not submit herself. That’s too bad. I mean, I know her chances were nil, but still. It’s still too bad.

Comment by Stephen S. – June 12, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Danes, Kerry Washington, Keri Russell, Vera Farmiga, Julianna Margulies and Connie Britton

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 12, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany all the way!!! I had heard so many amazing things about her performance before I had even seen the first episode. Though I had those enormously high expectations she completely blew me away and was so much more better than I expected. And I am not one to say something like that lightly!

Comment by S. from E. now – June 12, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Claire Danes, 2. Tatiana Maslany, 3. Vera Farmiga, 4. Julianna Margulies,5. Elisabeth Moss, 6. Connie Britton

Comment by Sina (@vodka_n_caviar) – June 12, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously you don’t watch the Americans, otherwise Keri Russell would be on your ballot. I mean she’s the only actress who realistically has any chance of taking the Emmy from Claire Danes

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bonus points for including Tatiana though ;)

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Danes, Keri Russell, Vera Farmiga, Tatiana Maslany, Julianna Marguiles

Comment by TL – June 12, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Tatiana Maslany & Keri Russell nominated!

Comment by Eliza – June 12, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My nominees would be:

1. Kerry Washington – Scandal
    2. Connie Britton – Nashville
    3. Emily Van Camp – Revenge
    4. Julianna Margulies – The Good wife
    5. Hayden Panettiere – Nashville
    6. Ellen Pompeo – Grey’s Anatomy

**Really Wish Anna Torv submitted herself for Emmy consideration – she is just so freaking amazing – she deserves an Emmy!

Comment by Corinne (@Cory0706) – June 12, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She didn’t?!?!?!?! What?!?!?!

Comment by John DeMayo – June 12, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remove Connie Britton, Hayden Panettiere and Ellen Pompeo and replace them with Tatiana Maslany, Emmy Rossum, and Elizabeth Moss (How could not include her?!?!?! Even if you don’t like Mad Men, you can’t honestly think the other actresses turned in more nuanced, subtle, great performances can you?? )

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vera Farmiga should get one nomination and Tatiana the rest. They are the true stars of this season.

Comment by Et al. – June 12, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy as long as Maslany, Danes, Britton and Farmiga get nominated.

Comment by Jean – June 12, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey Sagal
    Keri Russell
    Connie Britton

Comment by Dinna Burns – June 12, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Danes, Keri Russell, Robin Wright.

Comment by JKR – June 12, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Julianna Margulies – The Good Wife
    2. Emmy Rossum – Shameless (Should win)
    3. Emily Van Camp – Revenge
    4. Tatiana Maslany – Orphan Black
    5. Madeleine Stowe – Revenge
    6. Kerry Washington -Scandal

Comment by Steven – June 12, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Steven: While I think that madeline stowe was killer in the first season of Revenge… I felt season 2 really didnt have much juicy stuff to off her. I def agree with Emily VanCamp though, she has amazing range this season!

Comment by Dave – June 14, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very true Dave, and it seems she submitted herself as supporting.

Comment by Steven – June 17, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished watching the last 8 episodes of Nashville in a marathon run and I have to say that Hayden Panetierre did a supremely good job in her role of Juliette Barnes. I was never a fan of Hayden before but boy she killed it. I think she outshone Connie Britton.

Comment by Ally Oop – June 12, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • claire danes
    katey sagal
    connie britton
    Julianna Margulies

Comment by shanise – June 12, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Capshaw should be nominated too. She was terrific this season even if AZ storyline sucked! :-D

Comment by Géraldine – June 12, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just nominate Tatiana 6 times – outstanding!

Comment by Luis – June 12, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any list without Tatiana Maslany is immediately disqualified for not having a damn clue ;p

She literally plays 80% of the characters on that show.

Comment by Warren – June 12, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kerry Washington!!

Comment by mj – June 12, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Tatiana Maslany is nominated, I’ll be happy!

Comment by Sam – June 12, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “*Before you ask, Anna Torv of Fringe did not submit herself for Emmy consideration.” WHY???????

Anyway, I like Orphan Black and I think Tatiana Maslany does a very good job performing her clones, but I’m really gonna be pissed off if she wins, considering that Anna Torv was amazing playing different versions of Olivia since season 3 of Fringe and she didn’t win an Emmy and wasn’t even nominated.

Comment by Nerdbot – June 12, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh so nobody else is allowed to be nominated cause that overrated wench didn’t get nominated? Frankly, Titana should win an Emmy so I can shove it in your “nobody else matters but Anna” face.

Comment by Missmurray – June 12, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Anna Torv, but the majority of Tatiana’s scenes are literally with herself. At least Anna Torv could play off John Noble and Joshua Jackson. Tatiana’s role has been much more difficult. While I think it’s unfair that the Emmy’s have shown such a strong bias towards Sci-Fi/genre shows which unfortunately resulted in no nods for the stellar Fringe, it’s actually kinda rude that you wouldn’t want another actress to be nominated. In fact, having experienced those frustrations, why would you wish that on another actress or other fans. Shows the kind of person you are TBH.

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, maybe I shouldn’t have said (or meant) that if Anna didn’t win an Emmy, no other actress playing multiple roles deserves the award. It was just that Tatiana has received so much attention for her work that I thought it’d have been nice if Torv had got some recognition, I mean, from the people in charge of these awards. As I said in my first comment, I like Orphan Black AND Tatiana Maslany and, anyway, it’d be great if a sci-fi show and an actress on it wins an Emmy.

Comment by Nerdbot – June 12, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she didn’t submit herself, cuz she was in doubt if she was the protagonist or supporting. due to her role in S5

Comment by chevalierv – June 12, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anna is just selfish wench who thinks josh and John are not worthy of any type of storyline.
        Sorry Anna, the world is not in love with you.

Comment by Missmurray – June 12, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You really need to get a life, it seems like you are way too much into Anna’s head to know what she’s thinking about her former co-stars. All that hate could be put toward something more productive.

Comment by Pati D – June 12, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • the third season was the best season of fringe and fifth season was the worst season, that answers the question:” who was truly the heart and soul of show?” Anna Torv truly was the heart and soul of show …without she, as lead, the show became too boring and it lost ratings and credibility

Comment by Bete – June 12, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well that’s your opinion. I really enjoyed season 5, because it was different and we got to see another side of Olivia and to see her complete her journey. There are a lot of other people who enjoyed season 5 and don’t think it’s the worst season. We got to see all three complete their journeys and with it being the end of the show, that was what was important.

Comment by Joanne – June 13, 2013 02:10 AM PDT
  • 1. Tatiana Maslany
    2. Emmy Rossum
    3. Claire Danes
    4. Julianna Margulies

Comment by ddutchie88 – June 12, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum!!!! She was amazing this season on Shameless.

Comment by Sue – June 12, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look last year was definitely Claire Danes’ year, and she was great again this year. She hands down deserved the Emmy. The fact of the matter is though, that Glenn Close deserves the win for the Damages finale. I made die hard Homeland fans who, like most people, do not watch Damages watch Glenn Close’s performance and I found that many of them agreed with me.

It’s unfortunate that the academy will likely overlook her because Damages has no popularity anymore. I urge you all to watch the series if you haven’t, or at least watch the series finale before making up your mind on this category.

Comment by Swift – June 12, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to go with Tatiana Maslany as my favorite. I know she’s a dark horse candidate, but for me she’s Gillian Anderson 2.0. Gillian was also from a cult classic, genre show, but she managed to snare an Emmy win by the show’s fourth or fifth season, I believe.
    What Tatiana has done in a single inaugural season far surpasses impressive acting. She is leagues better than anyone else on television right now.
    As for who else should be nominated in this category, I’d go with Keri Russell, Katey Sagal, Glenn Close, and Mary McDonnell.

Comment by Angie – June 12, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Ellen Pompeo even included on this list? Every other actress on that show is far more deserving than she is.

Comment by John DeMayo – June 12, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more….

Comment by Sue – June 13, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Elisabeth Moss not a dream nominee for TvLine?! She has (almost) singlehandedly made this season of Mad Men. She rules every scene she is in, and I would actually prefer her to win over Claire Danes, even though she too is quite the awesome leading lady

Comment by Karen – June 12, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It baffles me as well, although I personally think Claire still deserves the win for the strength of Q&A alone. It’s clear she’s the frontrunner at this point. TBH I think, with all it’s buzz, Keri Russell is more likely to score an upset than Elizabeth Moss.

Comment by Jamie – June 12, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elisabeth Moss IS included. go back through the list again

Comment by Ellie – June 13, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany for the win definitely… My other choices are:
    Claire Danes, Julianna Margulies, Elisabeth Moss and Kerry Washington.

Comment by Magali – June 12, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post