Ratings: NCIS: New Orleans Opens Big, Chicago Fire Returns Strong, Forever Rises, NCIS and Fox Sitcoms Slip

NCIS New Orleans Ratings

CBS may have a big, easy hit on its hands, as NCIS: New Orleans this Tuesday night premiered to 17.2 million total viewers (per finals), up 5 percent from what NCIS: LA did a year ago.

In the demo, however, New Orleans (with a 2.5 rating) was down 17 percent from LA‘s most recent premiere. TVLine readers gave it an average grade of “B-.”

RELATED Read Our Recaps for NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans and Person of Interest

Opening the Eye’s night, NCIS (average grade: “A-“) returned to 18.2 mil and a 2.9, up from its finale but down 10 and 19 percent from its Season 11 premiere and delivering its lowest-rated opener since 2003. Person of Interest (average grade: “A-“) at 10 pm drew 10.6 mil/1.7, falling 15 and 26 percent from last year’s opener, to a premiere low.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Voice (13.2 mil/4.1) ticked up two tenths from Monday’s opener (to its best Tuesday rating since October), while an incendiary Chicago Fire (9.1 mil/2.6 per finals, average grade “B+”) was off a tenth from its previous premiere yet drew its second-best numbers ever.

RELATED Read Our Recaps for The Voice and Chicago Fire

ABC | Leading out of Dancing With the Stars (10 mil/1.7) and christening its later time slot, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (6 mil/2.1, average grade “A-“) returned up a bit from its freshman finale but down 50 and 55 percent from its boffo series launch. Forever‘s time slot premiere (6.9 mil/1.8) shed a few eyeballs versus Monday’s sneak peek but ticked up in the demo, and with a softer lead-in. Up sharply from Lucky 7‘s year-ago launch (4.4 mil/1.3), Forever also marks ABC’s best Tuesdays-at-10 fall premiere since Detroit 1-8-7 circa 2010.

RELATED Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2 Premiere Recap: A Lot to Absorb

FOX | Utopia (1.9 mil/0.8) dropped 20 percent week-to-week. Facing much stiffer competition in Week 2, New Girl (2.3 mil/1.3) and The Mindy Project (2.1 mil/1.0) each slipped 23 percent.

RELATED The Mindy Project Recap: The Ma, the Myth, the Legend

1. HeatherC says:

Nice ratings for Chicago Fire! Hope they stay strong this season!! =)

• Moment says:

Chicago Fires ratings are irrelevant this season when it comes to renewal. It will get a Season 4 purely because of syndication, 88 episodes is the target. You can pretty much not worry at all about the show.

• Jack Strawb says:

I thought the target was 100 episodes?
        That way stations can “stripe” a show for 20+ weeks on its board when it buys a show’s package.

2. enri says:

Fox needs to movie Utopia from the Tuesday leadoff spot. New Girl & Mindy were low enough without it making it worse.

3. kd83954 says:

Can FOX PLEASE put something else in front of New Girl and The Mindy Project?! How about Red Band Society? SOMETHING!

• Boiler says:

For sure. Both comedies have gotten off to great starts in my opinion. Plus how many NCIS’s do we need??

• Moment says:

How about an NCIS for every day of the week? :)

• erik says:

Why not make an NCIS channel?? 24/7 NCIS? They can develop NCIS:Boston, NCIS: Hawaii, NCIS: Guam, NCIS: Iraq…

• ninamags says:

Isn’t the USA channel already that?

• cdhaskell says:

I believe that NCIS is showing on USA channel,channel 55,and some other channel.

• they already have one, USA, if you missed an esp check there, there are two other channels that carry it too……sorry i don’t like that show, just wasn’t my cup of tea.

• Alli says:

Please, don’t encourage that. Life is meant to have variety; that said, you do raise an unasked question of how many spinoffs does one creator need under their belt to be happy.

• cdhaskell says:

NCIS Channel sound like it would be a little too much of a good thing.

• susan0426 says:

Sounds great to me and if someone does not like it, that is why you have a remote control, to be able to change channels when you want. And if you do not have a remote control then you can always get up (a good way to get some exercise in) and change the channel.

• cdhaskell says:

I love your statement about remote control. You just change the channel. Most new TV that you will need the remote control to change the channel. I know that the tv have button but it will take forever to get the right channel that you wanted.

• about as many as we have CSI ‘s there is a New York, Maimi and another one so where out there. Or used to be.

• mary says:

I don’t know why people complain about there being more than one NCIS. There were several CSI, several L&O. If you don’t like them, don’t watch. And only USA & CLOO run NCIS. It’s called syndication. Just like Friends, House, the game shows, etc. are all shown a lot. This is how the they make the money.
        Yes, I know you have the right to complain. It’s just every time NCIS is brought up, people either complain about how many there are or how old it skews. There are a lot worse things in the world than these things.
        Now that you have taken the time to read this, you can go on with your lives(sorry had to rant)

• KC says:

RBS is just as bad.

4. TDXI says:

I really cannot see NCIS: New Orleans having igh ratings for long it is truely awful

• Robbee67 says:

Thank you. How long are people going to keep watching clones?

• Jenny says:

Can’t wait for…

NCIS: 90210
        NCIS: Fargo
        NCIS: CSI

• that’s funny…..I have to open up my calender now…..let’s see that what when? (joking).
          I didn’t like the original so I have never seen LA tried last night cause I thought it might have chance but was-sorry to say crap! just because it did good the 1st night or week doesn’t mean numbers will stay. I’ll give a show a few esp, but not this one.

• John NYC says:

Might ask the people over at Law & Order, or CSI…. Though at least to my eye the original, L.A. and NOLA all have different structures. Though NOLA with it’s medical examiner component is a bit closer to the original than L.A.

Time will tell how it develops I expect.

• herman1959 says:

FYI, there is a Law & Order: UK version and it is exactly like the original NYC version even down to the voice-over at the beginning of each episode. Evidently, some things never get old.

• J Winters says:

I agree. It was boring. They had no chemistry at all.

• This will be the end of the spinoffs. The NCIS franchise is going the way of the CSI franchise(a little more slowly but surely nonetheless). NCIS used to put up very strong demographic numbers but has fallen quite a bit since it’s height. NCIS LA is slowly flagging and NCIS: NO is about a point below the NCIS LA premiere a couple years ago. I love Scott Bakula but I don’t even like the flagship series, so you couldn’t pay me to watch this new one.

• I thought so too. I watched it but it wasn’t great.

5. Charissa says:

So, is there hope for Forever? Because I’m enjoying it so far, but was a little concerned about those Monday night ratings. Tuesday doesn’t look much better, but if it’s a decent premiere for that timeslot on ABC maybe it’ll at least last the season?

6. Babybop says:

Ahhh! I’d like to blame Utopia for being a sucky lead-in and ruining Mindy Project’s ratings. Why are people not watching MP? It’s so good!

7. Rae says:

I know it’s factual but the header reads like NCIS took a huge dip in the ratings. All it slipped was a tenth or so in the demo. 18 million…go NCIS! I am so happy for NOLA…17 million!

Well I would have been one of those viewers if it weren’t for Time Warner Cable. TWC ruined my Tuesday night (I say this lightly, I know there are bigger problems in the world)! At 7:20, central time, the picture got scrambled and kept pausing the speaking. This went on for 25 minutes then the scrambling went away to the dialogue being behind. I gave up and it did not repair itself in time for NOLA. At 10pm, when the news began, there was a scroll on the screen saying that TWC was trying to fix the signal issue with CBS.

I checked on demand this morning and CBS already has the program available to view. Thank you CBS! I am watching tonight!

8. kiks says:

Another fantastic episode of The Mindy Project. Seriously, Fox should take care of this show. It is such a gem. More people should start watching it!

9. Eric says:

I am really enjoying Forever, a show which surprised me by being better than I expected. It’ll have to stay where it’s at ratings-wise, though, can’t afford much of a drop. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still as enjoyable as ever, and New Girl and TMP, while fun shows shouldn’t be stuck with the suckfest which they call Utopia. I’d much rather they place it alongside something like Red Band Society. That would be a truly great lineup.

• Abby says:

I enjoy Forever, too, and I agree with you–it can’t afford a ratings drop. Hopefully, it’ll deliver, so the ratings will hold steady or go up. :)

10. Rae says:

Touche…sorry Matt! I love my NCIS and am protective over it ;)! The demo may go up and down but the viewership always holds close to steady.

11. KC says:

Ouch FOX. Hopfully this is the last season for NG and MP

NCIS: NO was great. I enjoyed Forever, hope it hangs on!

12. Coal says:

The Voice continues to be NBC’s MVP with a nice assist for Chi Fire. POI and The Good Wife demo ratings continue to confound me, but at least they are on CBS meaning there survivals are guaranteed.

13. dioxinblues says:

I really like Forever and hope ABC gives it a chance to grow. It hasn’t gotten the same kind of press as a lot of other shows but I’ve found the first two episodes quite enjoyable.

14. Moment says:

I did predict the collapse of New Girl and Mindy on here last week, I do hate being right but Fox Tuesdays has collapsed thanks to Utopia.

15. JAN says:

IT WAS WORTH THE LONG WAIT

16. Zorkel says:

Glad to see NCIS: NO opened so well. Ended up liking it even more than I thought I would. Fun chemistry there

17. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that NCIS: New Orleans was winner. I still hope that Shield will also be a winner. I got a feeling that it will be the battle of the dvr that will save our show.

18. N says:

I loved Forever!

19. TDXI says:

Matt doesn’t seem to like people saying bad things about NCIS: New Orleans. Post seem to just vanish, hopefully this show will too.

20. JG says:

Forever is actually a lot better than I originally had thought. Hope ABC lets the series grow and play out over the season because it does have potential.

21. Miriam Maurer says:

I liked NCIS New Orleans! And Forever ..which is good because the spoilers are soo bad for Castle that I AM not going to watch it!

• I know someone who saw Castle s7 esp 1 and let’s just say it could go either way! some will like it some will not, let’s leave it at that. That friend said if you like the emotion drama type then you will love it. if you are looking for a light esp than skip and turn in a few esp later.

i didn’t like NCIS NO sorry, i tried to hang on but i don’t think that i can…..
      and for “forever” I didn’t think that i was going to like it but it was really good.

22. herman1959 says:

I’m liking Forever even more with the role-out of the complete cast (esp. Lorraine Toussaint -have loved her since her Law and Order public defender days), but do we really need to have Dr. Morgan die in every episode? Ok we get it, he’s immortal, it’s just not necessary to prove it every week. Please ABC, this can be a great show; you don’t have to try so hard.

23. Kathy says:

I loved NCIS: New Orleans. It is far better than NCIS: Los Angeles. It has better actors. NCIS: NO will have beautiful outdoor scenery. It is going to have netter and different story lines. NCIS:LA has been bring for the last three years to me. I live in the South and I understand the dialect, maybe that is one of the ten reasons I like the show.

• i’m from the south and yes it was a “southern” thing to it. My uncle lives there and I have walked those streets many times. That was really the only reason why i wanted to give the show a chance. I could n’t really get into the show, but hope that it does well,

24. mark says:

Its time to cancel New Girl, the show isn’t funny any more and hasn’t been funny since season 2.

• Boiler says:

I’m assuming you don’t watch anymore because I think the first 2 episodes have been very funny

• S. says:

Hey last season may’ve been a hot mess, and I was convinced it was gonna just be downhill from here, but they’re bringing it back around. I don’t think Jess/Nick getting together is what did it. I think it was ruining Nick with that whole box of bills episode. Why anybody would date or be friends with a man who handled his life and relationships like that, I dunno. Don’t get me started on Winston and the badger. That said, it’s coming back around.

25. Brooke says:

What the hell? How come fox doesn’t have a better lead-in for New Girl & Mindy Project? Fox needs to pull Utopia. That is the worst show ever!!

• Moment says:

If I was Fox I would put MasterChef Junior there to stabilize the night. It doesn’t pull a lot of viewers but something that managed to pull 3-4 million, mid 1s last season is better than Utopia.

26. RhondaB says:

Really cheeses me that networks run so many high profile and good shows against each other Tuesday night and then leave other nights basically devoid of such great material. Always results in one or more good shows eventually being cancelled while outright dreck shows that run on “off” nights remain on the schedule. I am NCIS/ NCIS NOLA all the way, but will also watch Chi Fire, Forever and The Voice on Comcast the next day.

27. Tvtime says:

NCIS slipped touch because there was no cliffhanger or arc at the end of last season. Plus so many people watch TV shows off DVR that day after ratings r not accurate. I have 40 shows on my season pass n haven’t watched a show live, other than sports, since the DVR came to directv. Day after ratings is so 1999.

• cdhaskell says:

DVR and on demand will help any show now. Good luck.

• John NYC says:

While the persistence of the end of season cliffhanger certainly seems to imply TPTB agree they’re a ratings driver I’m more skeptical. For a show I’ve loyally watched NOT having the lead be last seen in a plunging elevator car as the finale fades to black doesn’t deter me from tuning in next season one tiny bit.

And I actually found that tired cliché so irksome it might take most of my summer for the annoyance to fade so I DO tune in!

Probably no way to have real comparison numbers but is there any supporting data? Post Perils of Pauline would be appreciated.

28. Moment says:

Forever adjusted up to a 1.8 in the finals. Person of Interest got a 1.7. Agents of Shield a 2.1. I don’t care much about the rest. Forever fans should be happy with this.

29. Sherri says:

love Forever, hope it keeps rising!

30. Jenna says:

Another vote here for Forever. The premise needs some getting use to, but the cast is excellent, as is the production. Looking forward to more!

31. Eric says:

isn’t it funny that Marvel fantards are talking crap about Gotham’s numbers and yet they can’t even match this with a second season premier of Agents of Shield which was promised to pull in more numbers than previous season.

32. John NYC says:

Forever’s close? The timber of the voice on the phone had me thinking of Hector Elizondo.

33. James says:

Chicago Fire was great as always. But NCIS New Orleans was a let down. I watched it but near the end I turned it off. It is not something I will watch again. I think NCIS and NCIS LA are super they are big time hit shows. Sorry New Orleans

34. James says:

NCIS is great and so is the LA version. But New Orleans NCIS is pitiful. I watched it just because I wanted to give it a fair try but near the end I turned it off.

35. susan0426 says:

Will Cote de Pablo ever be a guess star on NCIS?

36. cdhaskell says:

I hope that Cote de Pablo will appear in NCIS again. I hope that she will appear in all of the NCIS series.