Game of Thrones

Is Jon Snow Invincible? Were Dreadful Opportunities Missed? Bachelorette Similarities a Bit UnREAL? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Penny Dreadful, Veep, Pretty Little Liars and Person of Interest!

1 | For Outlander book readers: Were you happy that Hugh Munro, who [spoiler alert!] dies at this point in the books, survived the visit to the duke’s estate?

Penny Dreadful2 | Why on earth didn’t Penny Dreadful kill Dracula in its series finale? And reveal to Ethan that Victor had reanimated Brona? And at least once turn Dr. Jekyll into Mr. — sorry, Lord Hyde?

3 | Does the Westworld trailer make any sense if you’re not familiar with the source material?

4 | As much fun as Veep‘s docu-style episode was, did it make any sense that Selina — who all season long has barked at Catherine every time she showed up with her video camera — would agree to such a lengthy sit-down interview?

5 | Did you think Game of Thrones Ramsay was dead after Jon finished punching him? After that insane battle sequence, can we agree that Jon is pretty much unkillable? (Speaking of the melee, why didn’t the giant just step on everyone?) Lastly, Tyrion’s mention of the Mad King’s wildfire caches under King’s Landing had to have been foreshadowing for the finale, right?

6 | Has there been a cooler end-credit sequence in recent memory than Silicon Valley‘s extended wide shot of that massive click-farm operation?

BrainDead7 | Does BrainDead really expect us to believe that Danny Pino and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are siblings and the children of The Good Wife‘s Zach Grenier? Why not lean into Pino’s Cuban background instead of making him part of yet another rich, white family? On a different note, isn’t the show’s musical opening recap delightful?

8 | How do we think the men on The Bachelorette actually found the conveniently placed In Touch Magazine with a tell-all story about JoJo and her ex-boyfriend Chad? (Did UnREAL‘s Rachel place it there? Speaking of….)

9 | Does UnREAL have a crystal ball into what’s going to happen on The Bachelorette? Weren’t the parallels between the anger/violence stories on both shows uncanny?

10 | How many episodes before Mistresses‘ Harry is deeply regretting going into business with Jonathan? And bonus wager: Does Marc know more about the almost-certain-to-be-sketchy hotel financier than he’s letting on?

11 | Who wore it best: The Fosters‘ Mariana, Supergirl‘s Kara or Scream‘s Brooke?

The Fosters Supergirl Scream12 | Were you shocked to learn 12 Monkeys‘ Cassie and Deacon had already done the deed?

13 | Pairing an umbrella with his impaired shuffle Person of Interest(and working alongside a bit of a Batman), has Person of Interest‘s Harold ever had more in common with Gotham‘s Penguin? And how different would the show’s final episodes have been if Fran Drescher voiced The Machine?

14 | Was Rizzoli & Isles‘ karaoke scene extra-adorable because Sasha Alexander (seemingly) cannot carry a tune? (Idara Victor, meanwhile…. Wow!)

15 | Did anyone else think Pretty Little Liars‘ Hanna looked like she was modeling for a magazine spread in the “threatening” picture A.D. sent the girls? (#YesFilter)

American Gothic16 | What’s American Gothic‘s biggest mystery: A nearly dialogue-free role for Orphan Black grad Dylan Bruce (as in-law Tom) or the unspeakably tortured hairstyle of Justin Chatwin’s Cam?

17 | If Big Brother was going to bring back past houseguests anyway, why didn’t they just make this season All-Stars?

18 | Is Wayward Pines spending too much time on the icky underage procreation subplot? And in Rebecca’s flashbacks to first meeting Pilcher and his team, shouldn’t Nurse Pam have been present?

19 | If you watched the entirety of Arrow star Stephen Amell’s Facebook Live session, were you astonished to learn he lost 20 lbs. of muscle in recent months? And can we agree that we each burned about 200 calories just watching his treadmill Q&A?

20 | Isn’t it weird to think Bones‘ Booth and Cam once dated? (Thanks for the reminder this week, show!)Beauty and the Beast

21 | Yeah, we knew these Beauty and the Beast episodes were filmed over a year ago, but still: No budget to reshoot the screen shot/adjust the year?

22 | Last Man on Earth fans, were you disappointed that Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis’ Tonight Show performance wasn’t another duet of Once’s “Falling Slowly”?

23 | Does James Corden realize there’s a finite number of singers out there? And that he’s burning through them a bit quickly with weekly, sometimes twice-weekly Carpool Karaoke? “Absence makes the heart grow fonder” is still a saying, yes?

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Tom says:

~
    Maybe she hoped that would be most of what was used?
    ~
    ~
    Not off the top of my head. Maybe BSG revealing Earth?
    ~
    ~
    Ratings grab? I don’t know.

2. Tim says:

No matter what they say, it seems they decided to end Penny Dreadful as they were filming the last couple episodes.

3. Amy says:

#2 – There were so many unresolved plot lines that a 4th season could have tied up. The “explanation” from the show runners was extremely underwhelming.

4. Luis says:

I get tired watching Stephen Amell breathe

5. Liz985 says:

#2 — Dracula (as well as Victor Frankenstein, the Monster, Ethan Talbot (Wolfman), etc.) is an iconic character that existed before Penny Dreadful and will exist after (I don’t think Buffy even really killed off Dracula!). The intersection of all of these characters was Vanessa Ives. She existed solely in the world of PD and was the hub to all of their spokes. Penny Dreadful was a wonderful mash-up world of great horror characters/stories that didn’t need to give resolution, really, to anyone but Vanessa.

• Temperance says:

Frankly, they could have easily done the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen route and gone on for as long as they wanted. As much as I adore Eva Green and the Miss Ives storyline, it took over the whole show instead of being a powerful chapter and it shouldn’t have. I’m sad and more than a bit angry that it’s over.

• Liz985 says:

Yeah, but then it would have just been a rehash of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and not the (more) original Penny Dreadful. John Logan found his muse and it took him in a creative direction. I have to respect that.

I’ll definitely miss Penny Dreadful, too, but I don’t think it would have been the same without Eva Green or Miss Ives. I’m willing to give it up for the long-term for that brief flash extraordinary.

• Temperance says:

I guess it seems too much like he started the show, and then lost his way. The distraction was quite worthwhile, but it feels very, very messy and totally incomplete. As a writer, ending the show there is a total disaster, and you’d get crucified by your readers for that (and quite deservedly so).

• LABete says:

Great analysis! Logan told us over and over that PD was the story of Vanessa Ives. I guess many either weren’t listening or didn’t want to hear it.

6. Temperance says:

#23 – Fickle. The public and success is fickle, and Cordon knows that. Strike while the iron is hot. Well, that and CK is the best thing on the Internet right now.

7. maregolden says:

#5. I did not think Ramsey was dead. He looked up at Sansa and you could see that he thought she was the one that had the right to finish him off.

8. Steven says:

23. I’d like to see more Drop the Mic. Those were hilarious!

9. AAJ says:

Justin is also an Orphan Black alum!!!

10. Bwhit says:

7) Everything about Braindead is unique and I think that is why it has been so polarizing. I really like it but I’ve noticed you either really like it or want to write a strongly worded letter to CBS asking them to please remove it from the air…. There is no in between.

16) Didn’t watch American Gothic but just by that picture, Justin Chatwin looks just like I remember him looking when he was on Shameless, hair and all.

11. Hollie says:

7. Yeah, the siblings thing is quite a stretch. However the musical recaps are one of the most creative things I’ve seen on a CBS show in a while. And I love Jonathan Coulton but I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the cast members do a musical recap too… (Looking at you, Aaron)

11. Do the other two even compare to Kara?

• Bwhit says:

Would love to see Aaron sing but I think he has said he never would on one of his TV shows or movies unless it was a musical… Maybe they will change his mind because that man has a beautiful voice! I always held out hope he would have a scene on Graceland where he was singing in the shower or in the car :).

12. Big Mike says:

#7 – Wait, what? They are Zach’s children?

13. LAwoman says:

#6 The click farm shot was very cool! And unsettling.

14. PatriciaLee says:

3. Who doesn’t know the word Westword with Yul in the black hat, and the word “drive” should hook the younger crowd. 7. Budget matters, then you would have to hire more actors. 21. That’s right, no budget. You know they would prefer to spend and pay nothing. 23. Maybe that’s the point, since a lot of viewers might be bored with the karaoke thing. The husband turns the show off, at that point. Me, I don’t care, but the husband keeps griping that Corden is great with comedy and he should just stick with that.

15. T H says:

#7 Considering they cast Mary Elizabeth Winstead FIRST, the fact that Pino was then cast as her brother would seem to indicate they cast the person they liked best for the role REGARDLESS of his ethnicity, which should not be criticized IMO. But yes, the musical recap is all kinds of delightful.

16. skrable2 says:

13. I was left with two questions about the POI finale: How could Fusco be accepted back with the NYPD after being led out in handcuffs the last time anyone saw him there? And, how did Bear survive the tunnel blast and invasion of the Samaritan minions?

17. NQ says:

7-I can buy Pino and Winstead as sibs on BrainDead…besides, who knows what their mom looks like? She could be Latina, and Pino’s “Luke” just favors her side of the family.
    14-I loved the fact that Maura couldn’t carry a tune. That makes it a bit more realistic. Nina, however, totally killed it on that Aretha song. Bravo!
    15-No, Hanna didn’t look like a model in that snapshot sent to her friends…she looked bruised and frightened, not glamorous, which fit her captivity scene.
    16-I have a feeling we’ll be seeing and hearing more from OB’s Dylan Bruce’s character, since he’s married to the daughter who’s running for mayoral office. The show wouldn’t waste talent like his with some nothing role. Or at least I’d hope so.

18. kmw says:

#20 Not really. It actually was a funny reminder and nice that these show runners care about Bones history. Of course I never liked Cam and Booth together but that episode where they were pretending to still date was fun

19. Lori says:

#1. Yes. Really glad Hugh survived. Lots of us fans are hoping that (spoiler alert) Murtagh also lives past Culloden.

20. Temperance says:

#3 – I’m not sure it made sense if you are familiar with the movie (I’ve seen it twice, including once since the New Year). But it does look very, very interesting, and now that Penny Dreadful is (very, very unhappily for me, gone), I’m ready for some more innovative sci-fi/fantasy with actors that are ridiculously great.

21. Debbie says:

I’ve had plenty of time to think about this and while I loved Penny Dreadful, having it be the series ending instead of a season ending, has left a sour after taste. You don’t send Mr. Lyle off to Egypt, introduce Miss Hartegan as someone who studies the dead and Dr. Jekyll without giving us Lord Hyde or the Mummy’s Curse. And why reveal Sir Malcom’s life path as being to battle the forces of darkness to just leave it where it did? This was certainly the end of Vanessa’s story, but hers is just one of so many that could have been. There is more here than meets the eye and I suppose we’ll never really know what went down behind the scenes, but this show left enough dangling storylines to rival Lost.

22. Carolyn Thurman says:

How dare they take the series
    I love so much off the air, what am I to do , They did us fans wrong so wrong on this one. It’s not going to think of it with gratitude, we are truly
    going to hate them for it.

23. kirads09 says:

My burning questions now re Wayward Pines: Ok, they knew that Theo and Rebecca were together when Pilcher hired her. Why did they pair her with Xander then when they woke her up (or whatever they do). Did they NEVER intend to waken Theo initially? I mean someone had to think “Hey at some point, we’re gonna need a skilled doctor & sugeon”. I mean Pam was a nurse and did a lot of things medically but… Or was the vision of “utopia” that no one would need much medical care – everyone always healthy and happy?

24. cej says:

18. I was wondering if Rebecca has been awake in Wayward Pines all along, but we just didn’t see her in season 1? Would they really have her asleep until the 3rd round of unfrozens? I try not to over think plot points, but it’s really difficult not to with this show. And, to answer the question – yes! Too much time spent on the adolescent baby factory topic.

25. Nan says:

Why did hell did they have to cancel Penny Dreadful…one of the best out there along with POI…wow I hate tears during both…phenomenal TV.

26. Guest says:

1) heck yes! Sooo happy he didn’t get hanged!
    5) I’m starting to wonder if Jon might be a Lannister lion due to the fact the man has 9 lives! Oh and totally think ew’s game of theories is correct on Cerci blowing kings landing to ashes and that is the scene we see in when Dany is in the tower of the undead and has that vision of her walking through a destroyed throne room, shes going to have to rebuild kings landing from the ashes instead of turning it to ashes with her dragons as well expect

27. jaclyn says:

The Fosters – Why on earth did Lena et al go back in to the school when they realised nick was there with a gun?

28. kath says:

I was exhausted watching Stephen Amell do his post-running treadmill Q&A. The guy really works for that body.

29. patrickmaloney33 says:

11. Kara… She always wears it better!
    12. I thought it was a well placed twist!
    13. Michael Emerson would make a great Mad Hatter!
    19. Stephen Amell is possibly a real life superhuman!