Fall TV Preview

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Scandal, Once, Mentalist, Vampire Diaries, Reign, The Flash, Homeland and More

Once Upon a Time Spoilers Emma Flashbacks

Will Once Upon a Time revisit Emma’s wild child days? Is The Mentalist engaging in sibling rivalry? Will it be slow and steady for Vampire Diaries‘ Steroline? Will The Flash pay the Piper? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Everything seems so secretive with The Mentalist this season. If anybody can get us something meaty to go on, it’s you! Do you have something? –Nicki
I’d call this downright meaty: In Episode 7 of the coming season (premiering… at “midseason”), we will meet Lisbon’s two brothers. The younger one (early 30s), Jimmy, is a gambler being sought by the Feds (as a witness to a murder!), while Stan (late 30s) is a mild-mannered family man who miiiight know more about Jimmy’s sitch than he lets on.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop on 42 Returning Favorites

Now that Scandal‘s Sally Langston has lost the presidential election, any intel on what will become of the former veep? –Dan
Good question – and one that might not be answered in full for a while. “I don’t know when I’ll be back,” Kate Burton told us at the #TGIF event. “It’ll probably be the second half of the season — that’s what they’ve told me — but [Shonda Rhimes] might change her mind and say, ‘No, we’re going to do something next season.’ Who knows.” But whenever the time comes, expect juicy stuff. Says Burton with a smile, “I mean, how can Sally Langston not be juicy?”

What’s the status of TONY GOLDWYN, BELLAMY YOUNGMellie and Andrew’s relationship when Scandal returns? –bevoette
It appears their red-hot affair has cooled off considerably, in the wake of the First Family losing a child. “Andrew is not at peace with where things stand with he and Mellie,” Jon Tenney says. “That being said, at the end of last season, Mellie and Fitz just lost their first child, and so I think romance may not be the first thing on her mind.” As Bellamy Young herself tells is, mourning Mellie “is in a whole new place, an uncharted, unprecedented wilderness for her.”

Do you know if The Flash is looking to introduce any more of the Rogues from the comics? – Andy B.
In addition to the likes of Captains Cold and Boomerang, at midseason we will also meet Hartley, a onetime mentee of Dr. Wells’ who lost his hearing in an accident and now is out to wreak havoc with an invention of his own. (Of course, you may know Hartley — who happens to be gay — as the Pied Piper.)

RELATED Once Upon a Time: Dancin’, Romancin’ and More Season Premiere Teasers

Is Once Upon a Time planning any flashbacks to Emma’s life in the foster system? –Marissa
I can’t confirm they cover her time as a foster kid specifically, but we will get a good, long look at a younger Emma (likely played by a different actress). And as Jennifer Morrison teased for me, “There is a bit of a curveball in the flashbacks that I did not see coming, one that definitely adds a layer of suspense to how all of the puzzle pieces fit together.”

I see everyone asking about a lot of relationships on Once Upon a Time, but they never ask about Regina/Snow. Will their relationship continued to be explored? –Ana
You’re in luck. Ginnifer Goodwin told us at the premiere party that fans such as yourself “will be very satisfied, because we do have many more scenes between the two of us. Lana [Parrilla] and I actually call the [producers] on a regular basis thanking them and asking them for more, because I personally find those scenes to be very powerful. The dynamic between them is so rich and we love exploring it.”

The Vampire Diaries‘ Stefan and Caroline make an awesome friendship, so it’s very disappointing that rumors say they will become romantically involved. Is there any hope that they can remain platonic? –Scarlett
For what it’s worth, whatever might be blooming between the two will evolve slowly, given their respective track records. “We’re just seeing layers of it,” says exec producer Caroline Dies. “I think Caroline’s not even realizing how deep her feelings are. She just feels hurt and lied to and ignored [by Stefan, who’s not returning her calls].” Mr. Salvatore meanwhile ” can’t even process or fathom the idea of another heavy, emotional connection. In his brain, he hasn’t even opened up his mind to the notion of dating someone or being with someone, actually having a true romance with someone. So it’s a very slow build for them.”

PHOTOS Vampire Diaries‘ Jeremy Strips Down, Steroline Turns Tense and More

Any chance we’ll see ModernFamily_AndyAdam DeVine again on this season of Modern Family? –Andy
I can confirm that “Andy the manny” resurfaces in the Oct. 8 episode, in which Phil has to creatively edit Mitch and Cam’s wedding video upon realizing that it reveals that he is responsible for a horrible cold that has plagued the family.

Have you got anything on how things are with Mary and Francis when Reign comes back (on Oct. 2)? –Bree
In the season premiere? Distant. Francis is off with Lola, trying to protect them, while Mary is trying to avoid the plague in the castle. But once he returns home, things could be looking up as Mary “spends a lot of the first three episodes naked,” star Adelaide Kane reveals. “We’re sexy this season.” However, the whole Lola/baby situation will make things “awkward” around the castle for everyone involved.

I was so surprised that Lucy Lawless’ character died in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season premiere! Is there a chance to see her in any of the following episodes? Or is there any chance to watch Lucy on other shows, like Parks and Recreation? –Natalie
Sorry, but plan to be Hartley-broken – that was Lawless’ one and only appearance. As for returning to Pawnee, she discussed that in our Q&A.

RELATED S.H.I.E.L.D. Star Weighs In on Heartbreaking Twist, ‘Darker’ Season 2

Got a scoop about the “guy that kills bad guys” aka Peter Quinn on Homeland? What’s going on with him? –Ricky
As made clear in the Season 4 premiere (airing Oct. 5), Quinn would rather you not remind him of that reputation. He’s kinda fried by the events of Season 3 (including but not limited to what he did to that poor kid), and as such will endeavor to pull Carrie out of the all-too-often needlessly deadly spy game. And that concern her may pave the way for a new… closeness. As show boss Alex Gansa said to me, in recounting the important people in Carrie’s life nowadays, “She’s got a burgeoning relationship – although not romantic, yet – with Peter Quinn.”

As much as 2 Broke Girls’ Max has referenced her mom, I’m surprised she hasn’t surfaced yet. Any ideas when we’ll finally meet her? –Johnny
Because Max’s mother is “such a giant, off-camera icon to me,” exec producer Michael Patrick King is in no rush to give her a face. Though it sounds like he’ll stop just short of that. “This season, in the first couple episodes, you will get a little glimpse of her. Not necessarily a visual glimpse — but something abstract. A tease,” he shared with us. “She’ll become a little more real every season.”

Any word on when British songstress Foxes (aka Louisa Allen) will make be making her appearance/acting debut on Doctor Who? –Ryan
That would be in Episode 8 of the new season, airing Oct. 11.

Any timetable update on Saving Hope‘s return in the U.S. via ION? –Anthony
Season 3 might not hit the States until 2015, I am hearing.

Is that the Morgan FreemanCBS Summer Soiree - Arrivals who is a producer for Madam Secretary? What’s the connection there? –Jen
Yep, it’s the Morgan Freeman, who had been working with producer Lori McCreary to find just the right show to develop for CBS. “I do have time — not too much time — to get involved in other things, and I have always wanted to have a hand in telling the American story, so this is how I do that,” he explained at press tour. And before you ask, no, he has no immediate plans to appear on camera on the series.

Will we ever see what becomes of McGee’s dad on NCIS? Last we heard, he had Stage 4 cancer. Will that be addressed? –lwild
Though show boss Gary Glasberg had indicated to me a desire to revisit that thread during Season 12, as of this past Monday, when I spoke to Sean Murray, McGee’s portrayer had “not yet” heard of any concrete plans.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com(With reporting by Vlada Gelman, Michael Slezak and Scott Huver)

1. Kyle says:

Thanks for the OUAT scoop, Matt. I’m very excited to hear the Snow and Regina relationship is getting more focus next season. In many ways this is the heart of the show for me out of which everything else about OUAT and its setup grew over time and it’s easily one of my favorite relationships too. Like Ginnifer Goodwin said, it’s very a very rich dynamic and I enjoy watching her and Lana Parrilla as they’re exploring it at least as much as they must enjoy playing it.

2. Len84 says:

I am looking forward to Emma’s arc, she is my fave but her journey is the one i love ever since season 1. So its great to finally see the past Emma as child/teens and so on. And more of herself, family and romance=Hook.

I think her magic was sparking up or something – Elsa style!

I personally would like to see them also work on the Snow/Emma scenes because that is important too.

3. Megan says:

Thanks for the Mentalist scoop! Much appreciated

• EL says:

Ditto. So little news about the Mentalist out there. Is it true that they are only doing 13 episodes and that they will definitely be the last ones?

• RReg says:

they need to get rid of the female lead on the Mentalist. Because of her, I don’t watch the show. She’s worse than the female lead on the Blacklist- and that’s saying a lot.

• Jeremy B. says:

What you and the pretty low amount of other Lisbon-haters don’t get is that most people actually like her- many of those like her very, very much. That’s, of course, regrettable for you, but it means that they certainly WON’T get rid of her. And with only 13 episodes left? It’s 100% not going to happen. So all you can do is: continue to NOT watch. I think we’ll all get over it.

• Jeremy B. says:

Oh, by the way: did you get that Lisbon and Jane KISSED at the end of season six? Sorry, pal- she’s not going anywhere, and that’s just as it should be.

• JoyAnne says:

Isn’t it strange that after 6 successful seasons someone decides they don’t like the leading lady on the show so they don’t watch. I agree with you. Lisbon is great. Anyone doesn’t like her feel free not to watch. :)

• I haven’t read anything about this being the last season except for Tim Kang’s tweets over the weekend. CBS hasn’t said anything. Maybe they aren’t going to confirm or deny it until they release the season 7 premiere date.

• Jeremy B. says:

Bruno Heller said it, too (in his newest interview about “Gotham”). Jordan Harper (one of the staff writers) confirmed that they’re only doing 13 episodes. Season 8 would mean expensive contract negotiations with Baker and Tunney- I don’t think Warner will go there.

• Tahonia says:

We previously met one of Lisbon’s brother and niece. Will it be the same guy?

4. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see the first episode of the Flash and the Rogue Gallery. I can’t wait to see if any DC heroes/villain appear in the future episode.

5. Posaldon says:

Thanks for the mentalist scoop! Can’t wait!!

6. Tran says:

Really hope Max’s mom on 2 Broke Girls will make an appearance at some point in time and who should be the perfect fit for that role?

• GeoDiva says:

Actually I think she shouldn’t. She is such an exaggeration that no one will fulfill the role. It’s like Nile’s wife from Fraiser. Better left to our imagination.

7. MusicSweetly says:

Thanks for the update on The Mentalist! I love that we’ll get to learn more about Lisbon’s family. Can’t wait to see what else Season 7 has in store for us!

8. Maria says:

Thanks so much for The Mentalist!! So looking forward to it, the wait seems endless!

9. Freddie says:

Im looking forward to Emma’s story and more of her this season and Emma/Hook… .

I do like the Regina and Snow scenes but to be honest i rather think Snow should be more concerned and making strides with her own flesh and blood you know your daughter – Emma Swan and that relationship mostly pls!

• fiona walsh says:

Is there some reason we won’t see both, i mean we have 22 episodes to come who says they can’t explore Regina/Snow relationship and Emma/Snow.

10. Jenn says:

This whole Stefan and Caroline vague will-they or won’t-they thing is just the worst, and I cannot for the life of me understand what wild hair inspired them to push this idea. How is it going to work for Caroline, whose development has been hideously neglected for the past two seasons? I just don’t understand their fixation on it. They were fine as friends. Why does a solid and relatable friendship have to be supplanted in favor of a romance that feels random and unnecessary?

• dude says:

I actually like them together as a couple. Stefan’s exhausted his romantic prospects and Caroline certainly has so why not develop an actual, meaningful romantic relationship between two people who already have fantastic chemistry?

• jss0058 says:

Yeah I actually feel like the slow build on Stefan and Caroline makes it one of the more interesting relationships on the show. I enjoy TVD for the crazy storylines not the ridiculous love triangle between Stefan/Damon/Elana…so I’m in favor of anything that gives us less of that!

• murley says:

I hope they do end up together. I am so sick of the Triangle with Elena and I wasn’t a fan of the way they wrote her relationship with Damon but it would be even worse if they had her switch back to Stefan. So I say leave Damon and Elena together and put Stefan with a character he has great chemistry with, a nice history and is someone I am already invested in. Aka Caroline. Stefan is awesome and he deserves a good romance. Not some random introduced out of nowhere.

11. Drew says:

We need season 2 of Saving Hope before season 3.

12. Moment says:

I’m surprised The Flash doesn’t have a full season order yet, it only has the additional script order(Which is a formality really). You’d think with Arrows success it would get that full season but I suppose the CW just want to wait and see.

• wordsmith says:

Supernatural is incredibly popular and their spinoff didn’t even get picked up to series. Wishful thinking is good, but it never hurts to wait and see how things play out.

• Moment says:

Good point, but I think we all know that if The Flash has a good premiere, the CW will order the back 9-10 episodes regardless of how the rest of the season does.

• Alice says:

Yes but the Flash is a character with a large backstory in comics that is independent of the events on Arrow. The Supernatural spinoff was essentially- white men fight demons 2.0. While the Flash could potentially pull in people who never watched Arrow, if you weren’t already watching Supernatural after 10 seasons, you probably weren’t going to watch Supernatural 2.

• wordsmith says:

And, to be fair, the Supernatural spinoff was “white demons fight other white demons.” The only human character was actually a black guy, as I recall.

13. Diana says:

Thank you for The Mentalist scoop, Matt! It’s been forever since we had one… How long is this hiatus gonna be? Can’t wait for season 7!

14. iiifrogs says:

Thank you for The Mentalist scoop! It is all red meat and delicious!

15. Kim says:

Thank you for the news on The Mentalist!!

16. Thanks for the Mentalist scoop! This will be interesting. Jane will also meet her 2 other brothers

17. Sibi Stella says:

Why do they have to ruin such a perfect friendship like Steroline? This whole thing is just annoying, it’s like they are forcing it. Please, stop. There’s nothing interesting in a potential Steroline romance.

18. Caroline Dries should move on from Steroline. There is Ivy, she could have been the perfect girlfriend for Stefan if they wanted. Steroline are FRIENDS and they should stay in that way.

19. Liz B. says:

Thanks for all the great scoop on AoS (sad that was her only appearance). I’m curious, on a side note, about where Simmons is. She’s actually one of my favorite characters on the show and, though I don’t ship her with Fitz-their friendship is sweet and I’m hoping she’s well and will be back soon-in more than Fitz’s imagination.
    Thanks also for news on “Madam Secretary.” I enjoyed its premiere, and thought Leoni did a great job.
    And last, but not least, thanks for always coming through on “The Mentalist” spoilers. You never let us down. And an interesting spoiler too. I’ve always been curious as to whether we’d meet her other two brothers.
    As always, you are the best, Matt. Stay awesome.

20. I sent a question in. “Will Iris Allen in “The Flash” TV show hail from the 31st Century like she does in “The Flash” comic books?”

21. I hope that the Flash will become a winner.

• RReg says:

Only if they get innovative about what can be done with someone moving fast. Ohhh I dunno, running up buildings or circling the globe in a flash(pun fully intended). If there aren’t any such theatrics, it will be just another yawn.

• Moment says:

It will embarrass Fox to say the least when it beats Utopia.

22. I got a feeling that you must look at the series to see if she is from the 31st Century.

23. Kate says:

Awesome thanks for the Homeland scoop. Soo hoping that Quinn x Carrie happen this season! They better! I love em.

24. U NO HOO says:

Thank you so much for the scoop about The Mentalist :-)

25. Kalee says:

No more romance on the Stefan/Caroline front please. They’re perfect as platonic male/female friends. Those things exist you know, CW.

26. Gerald says:

Surprised you didn’t mention the Morgan Freeman Tea Leoni connection of working together on Deep Impact where he played the President to her nosey reporter. Loved that film. I guess they enjoyed working together back then.

27. Natalie says:

Thanks for answering my Lucy Lawless Question! And yep! I’m completely heartbroken. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe we’ll see Diane again in Parks and Rec

28. Sonja says:

I can’t wait for the seventh season of The Mentalist, but I find Lisbon so annoying.

29. Tom says:

Am I seriously the only person that doesn’t want Haley and Andy to happen?

30. Ben says:

When Lucy Lawless was in NZ recently for our election, I was thinking ‘what are you doing here, shouldn’t you be off filming SHIELD?’ I was already disappointed that this might mean she didn’t have as much of a role as I wanted. But this was just sad :( I really wanted to have her on the show for a good long time.

31. Peggy Walters says:

Thanks for The Mentalist scoop! Any news is like finding gold.

32. christopher bee says:

I started to watch Lucy Lawless in the Aussie Series “The Code”, so thats whats working for her right now i think. And guys, you really wonder of that photo of Thea Leoni and Morgan “the” Freeman? It could be a Deep Impact 2.0.

33. Annie says:

Do we really need to know more about Lisbon? There’s so much mystery in Jane’s past, like his mother for example, or maybe something about his wife and daughter, I wish the writers will focus on those if they only have 13 episodes.

34. Candice says:

It’s time to see Max’s mom.

35. Maryann says:

I am confused about your comment regarding Saving Hope. Only season 1 aired here on NBC. If Season 3 is coming in 2015, when do we get to see Season 2?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I assumed the reader’s question was about the announced Season 3 airing in USA, not catching up on Season 2 somewhere.

36. morgana says:

It’s been worse than the CA drought with news about the Mentalist. So many fans worldwide are devotees of this show. Thanks for helping to quench our thirst.

37. While I am fine if that was Lucy Lawless’s only appearance in Agents of SHIELD, something about her arm being removed made me wonder a bit. The obelisk, after all, was suggested to be the key to immortality and such. Still I’m betting if that is a thing they’ll probably wait until like episode 16 to reveal that she’s back or whatever. I’ve come to accept SHIELD is going to probably be a bit of a slow burn again, but at least this time around we’ve got some stronger footing.

38. I want to see more Regina & Emma scenes, like when Regina was teaching Emma to use her magic. I think that was the first time Regina actually called her “Emma” rather than “Ms. Swan.”

39. J.B. says:

Ah man, I really, really love the Pied Piper character from the comic books. He had such amazing story lines, which I won’t spoil, than most of The Flash’s Rogues. One the one hand I’m glad he’ll pop up but on the other I don’t like, as of right now, him being just a one off villain episode.

40. meni says:

Yay Andy is back and the spoiler pics look good!! I’m glad they are making Haley more mature and serious by this Haley and Andy storyline

41. Ana says:

Very excited for Emma’s storyline this season. Jennifer always seems so intuitive when it comes to Emma and ouat in general. I’ve hardly ever heard her say she’s been surprised by a plot line, so this has me really curious :)
    And I also loved Snow and Regina coming closer in 3×18. Their relationship is absolutely important and at the center of ouat in a similar way that Rumple’s was with Bae. I am very happy to hear we will get to see more of them together . Thank you!!

42. Charlie says:

Thanks for the news on The Mentalist, Matt! What would we do without you, uh? Can’t wait for S7, and now I’m even more excited! Lisbon-centric episodes are some of my very favorites, especially Red Badge (S2), Robin Tunney did a mind-blowing job. You’re the best, Matt!

43. Lauren says:

So, Max’s mom will be like Howard’s mom?

How come no on easks about Grimm? Why is season 4 tightly wrapped?

Izzie Hartley isn’t dea it is just that Lawless is regular on The Code.

44. sarah j says:

I do not want to see a Caroline/Stefan romance either. They are way better as friends.

45. Guest says:

Thank you for the once scoop!! Love Regina and snows complex relationship and I hope even if Regina is a little put out with emma over the Robin Hood situation that she would go to snow for advice! Yes I need more emma backstory like I need air to breathe!! I really want to see her in the foster care system or with the swans who gave her up after they had their own child! Can’t wait for the hook/emma date :D modern rock n roll clothes for hook? This I have to see! And also thanks for TVD spoilers… (Since this is text I will just emphasize how much this part is dripping with sarcasm). That show needed to be canceled seasons ago. I can’t even tell you what all happened last season bc that crap was alllll over the place. Please. For the love of all that is right in this world let somerhalder be right that this is the last season. Since its been deleted from my dvr I will personally go in a record the last 2 episodes and only those so here’s to praying that show will be put out of its misery.

46. Tom Brown says:

Any inside information on how they are coming reselling Longmire?? #LongLiveLongmire

47. Dulce says:

I want a happy ending for Regina/Robin.

48. Helen says:

I just wanted to ask,will Regina and Robin be together after Marion’s return?

49. sophia says:

Dear Matt are the “Italian friend” but really are Sicilian, you should not be a journalist because you are not honest and neutral!

50. ritabug30 says:

So essentially, the stefan/caroline relationship is a go? I hate that. They should be friends