Ratings: Grey's and Scandal Return Up, Crazy Swap Pays Off, Parenthood and Rake Hit Lows

Ratings Grey's Anatomy Scandal PremieresAbsence made the heart grow fonder for fans of both ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal.

Coming out of its winter hibernation, Grey’s returned to 9.4 million total viewers and a 3.1 demo rating (per finals), up from both its midseason finale (8.4 mil/2.7) and its Season 10A average (8.7 mil/2.8), while scoring its second-largest audience of the season.

RELATED | Grey’s Post Mortem: April and [Spoiler]‘s Shocking Decision Has Made Them ‘Villains Now’
RELATED | Scandal Post Mortem: Bellamy Young on Mellie’s Sexy ‘Game Changer,’ Matchmaking for Olivia

Scandal in turn drew 9.3 mil and a 3.4, up in the demo from both its midseason finale (9.4 mil/3.2) and its Season 3A average (9.1 mil/3.1) and netting the show’s second-best demo rating ever.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and Once Upon a Time: Is the Split-Season Plan Working Thus Far?

In other words, with two out of ABC’s three “non-stop”/split-season shows accounted for: So far, so good. Updated charts for you ratings addicts:
Grey's Scandal Ratings 2014Elsewhere on the night….

CBS | Big Bang (17.5 mil/5.0) was down two tenths the demo, while The Millers (11.2 mil/2.7) rose a tenth. Two and a Half Men, now airing at 9, did 10 mil/2.5 (surging 32 percent in the demo), while The Crazy Ones (7.4 mil/1.9) added two tenths. Elementary (8.5 mil/1.6), with Scandal back in the mix, dipped 10 percent and two tenths.

NBC | Community (2.6 mil/1.0) was down 13 percent and a tenth, while Parks and Rec (2.5 mil/1.1) fell 17 percent and two tenths. Hollywood Game Night (3.4/1.2) was down from its most recent, Monday outing but improved upon Sean Saves the World/Michael J Fox‘s most recent numbers by 42 and 70 percent. Parenthood (3.6 mil/1.1) slipped 16 percent and two tenths, hitting a series-low demo.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: The Kat’s Out of the Bag

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries (1.95 mil/0.9) shed a few eyeballs while steady in the demo. Reign (1.3 mil/0.5) dipped 10 percent and one tenth.

RELATED | American Idol Top 13 Results Recap: Exit Wounds

FOX | American Idol (9.8 mil/2.4) rose in audience while flat in the demo week-to-week. Rake (3.5 mil/0.8) dropped 12 percent and two tenths to series lows.

1. Tom Charles says:

What about Community?

2. N tTVf says:

May be worth watching the numbers now on ‘Crazy Ones’. If 2.5 Men continues to produce better numbers in the 9pm slot, Crazy has just a few weeks to try to keep up with those numbers before CBS tries the next comedy in that 9:30 slot.

I’d figured ‘Crazy’ was a lock for renewal in May – now, perhaps not.

3. Boiler says:

My TV stayed on CBS all night. Guess Elementary will go back to getting a big DVR bump, for whatever that’s worth.

4. HeatherC says:

Glad to see that Grey’s and Scandal both returned to strong ratings! I really enjoyed both of them last night and I’m so happy that I won’t have to endure any reruns of them this spring. The hiatus wasn’t fun at all (and for me, waiting for OUAT to come back has been torture, LOL) but it will be totally worth it to have all new episodes of these shows to watch this spring. Welcome back!! =D

5. N tTVf says:

I like the graphs Matt – keep up the good work. The comparisons are most often the most interesting between series on the same network, not so much series on competing networks. It’s those inter-network graphs (ie. Greys vs Scandal) that will help explain some of the upcoming moves by the networks as we near the May Upfront.

6. sarah says:

Glad Greys and Crazy Ones were up.
    I am a little surprised that Community, Vampire Diaries and Parenthood were done (it is such a fantastic show and I am now worried about the chances of renewal, I need my weekly does of Braverman’s.)
    I am not surprised about HGN. It has too much competition on Thursdays: Grey’s and Idol.
    I watched Grey’s and tapped HGN and will do so. Where as on Mondays I watched it “live”.

• herman1959 says:

I feel the same way about Parenthood (although I am also a Scandal fan), but it has no chance going against Scandal and Elementary. This was a mistake on NBC’s part, it should have been on a different night, but it will be difficult to move it now because there is nothing to replace it with. Also, every time it is moved viewers are lost because they can’t find it – it took me weeks to find it the last time. Too bad, but it looks next season might be it’s last, the writers seem to be running out of story ideas anyway.

• Stacy says:

Between DVRs and internet access, there’s no longer any reason a viewer “can’t find” the show they watch. Also there’s an app or widget called TV Forecast that keeps track of the next upcoming episode of shows you follow.

• Bob says:

Still love Parenthood but am not happy with the Joel moving out story arc. Wondering if that may be whats turning some viewers off. Don’t know why a good family show has to have marital discord in the mix

7. Boiler says:

I have seen a couple articles recently that stated that perhaps networks are, or will, start paying attention to the older crowd. Is this true? The Scandal/Elementary comparison is a perfect example. Only about 7% lower viewers for Elementary but half the demo. I applaud CBS as they seem to stick with the older group but with technology,the economy and aging population fewer people will watch network TV if the older viewer not factored in more.

• N tTVf says:

I hope you are right, everyone, every viewer, should be counted and courted by television networks.

However, it’s not the networks who are making 100% the decisions – it is the ‘check-writers’, the advertisers, who make the ‘dollar decisions’, and that’s what tends to count most. The advertisers are going after the youth market (they probably always have).

For my money, if I were in advertising and I had to choose one demo to pursue, I’d go after the 25-54 women demo. That demo is the one that makes most of the household buying decisions, takes the kids shopping, goes to the supermarket, works in the office and has impact on the mindset of what other office workers are thinking, drives the decision on the family car purchase, maps out the family vacation plans, and so forth. That’s the demo spending the money, and that’s what the advertisers are [or should be] going after – they have to.

That said, I think ABC is following that 25-54 demo, and yet, they are third/fourth (?) in the ratings overall, and in the 18-49 demo, so go figure.

• Ana says:

they are third/fourth because they don’t have football or a big singing competition which is why NBC isn’t dead last. As far as scripted programming, they do okay.

• ... says:

They go after the 18-49 demo because of how elusive they are. They can get 25-54 women (and all other older demos) for much cheaper since they tend to watch more television – why pay more to get an audience you can get for much less?

• Boiler says:

Trouble is the 18 to 49 demo shrinking both because there aren’t as many of them and they watch other ways. I’m just saying that if older crowd keeps getting “ignored” there will be no one left to watch network TV> when 9 to 10 million watch a show and average age in the 50’s, figure out a way to make money as it should be in TV

8. Bianca says:

I really hope you guys are right about Parenthood being a safe bet for renewal.
    It’s such a great show!

9. Fernando says:

Oh Reign no :( I hope we come back strong next week, we achieve season 2 now royals need to work hard for that season 3

10. Liz says:

Parks and Rec was HILARIOUS last night, if you didn’t watch you def missed out.

11. Julie says:

It is so surprising to see how viewership has tanked for TVD…I remember when that show was pulling 5-6 million viewers and the demo was comparable to Grey’s!! Sad…

• Ana says:

TVD’s rating has never been close to Grey’s in any shape or form. It has never pulled 5 million viewers and its ratings has never been more than a 1.5. What are you talking about?

• trainwreck says:

exactl.. TVD is one of CW’s best performing shows even based on current ratings… i have rarely ever seen any CW show hit demo around 2 (even around May Sweeps)

• Christian says:

TVD’s series high is 2.1 and 4.91 million viewers. It regularly got above a 1.5 in its first two seasons so try again b1tch!

• Ana says:

lol, I like the show so why the insult? my point is that it’s number hasn’t been very high for awhile now so expecting it to suddenly rise is silly.

12. digitalred93 says:

I had to manually set up DVR recordings of last night’s NBC shows because AT&T Uverse insisted they were re-runs. I have to wonder if that had anything to do with the drop in numbers.

13. wordsmith says:

Excellent opportunity to work in that picture of Camilla Luddington a second time. Well played, Mitovich.

14. Last night’s episode of Parenthood was spectacular. However I think there was some leftover confusion from the Olympics. I was on their Facebook last night and there was some chatter about people not realizing there was a new episode. I’m interested to see what the adjusted ratings might be.

FWIW, the chatter last night also said that this was one of the best episodes in a long time. By far the best episode of the season, probably on par with seasons 1 & 2.

15. Ron says:

What would you say is the likelihood of a Community renewal? (Hopefully a good chance!) Isn’t Parks & Rec renewed for season 7 already (yay!)? This season, Community seems to be fairly equal in ratings with Parks & Rec, usually very similar in demo (this week matching it), and actually outperforming Parks & Rec in total viewers. I would think at least one more, 13-episode season of Community should be in serious consideration over at NBC.

16. Radha says:

Reign’s numbers have drastically dropped due to them continuing to push this forced and unnecessary love triangle. Mary, Queen of Scots loved her first husband, Francis SO much that she never ever quite got over his early death. The rest of her life was a tragic one. I don’t know why the writers can’t find proper drama in those actual historical events. The current storyline with Mary and Bash is when the numbers have dropped. Before that, the show was holding steady. As my best friend said recently: “It’s amazing how fast the writers started to go all “Vampire Diaries” on us and start to sink the show for a stupid love triangle–all in the first season.”

Learn from Julie Plec’s mistakes everyone. Not every show needs to have a love triangle at its core to be successful. Having just a main couple (like on Castle and Bones) can work too.