Emmys

Eye on Emmy: The Good Wife Courts a Multitude of Guest Star Contenders

Get More: Emmys, Lists

Guest stars are of course a fixture on virtually all scripted series, but none seems to do it with quite the gusto of CBS’ The Good Wife. Relying on established stars (or, in the case of two from this past season, the daughters of Oscar winners), The Good Wife offers Emmy voters a multitude of choices for the Guest Performer in a Drama Series categories.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor
Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress

Comments (51)

• Is it just me or does anyone else think Wendi Scott Carr is a horrible character? The way she acts and talks just makes me not want to watch her…Imo she is the worst character on The Good Wife

Comment by ggny – June 5, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not alone, she was so good at being awful it was terrible (if that makes sense). Her sanctimonious yet slimy demeanor made my skin crawl; so glad she’s gone and if I never see Wendi Scott-Carr again it will be too soon.
      Unfortunately, Mike Kresteva (Matthew Perry) is the same breed of villain, which makes me dread his scenes. TGW just seems to love vile characters… :\

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 5, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So you only want shiny happy people on TV shows? How boring would that be? Every show needs its antagonists to keep things interesting…just as real life does! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – June 5, 2012 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There’s villains and then there’s moustache-twirling villains, and both of these two fill that role. I much prefer the more entertaining villainy of Michael J Fox and Martha Plimpton, though sometimes even they get into a little moustache-twirling themselves. As for who should get the Emmy? Carrie Preston! That character is sheer genius.

Comment by KevyB – June 6, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disagree

Comment by ojie king – June 7, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Anika Noni Rose should be nominated more for her role on Private Practice. Her scenes with Taye Diggs’ Sam were heartbreakingly amazing. I liked her performance far more in that role than in this one (and not because you’re supposed to, but because her emotional acting is stellar).

Comment by Ashley – June 5, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In my opinion, she was one of the best guest stars they have had. Wendy Scott Carr is soo bad she is good. The Private Practice one was good but too too…..

Comment by ojie king – June 7, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree; her character was horrible. Anika Noni Rose was better on Private Practice.

Matthew Perry and Martha Plimpton need to submit their names; loved both of them.

Comment by Cathy – June 5, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked anika better on the good wife — on private practice she was really really annoying — but shows what a great actress she is — she literally went from one show airing to a few days later to this other character.

Comment by sam – June 5, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOW I AGREE, SOMEONE IS FEELING ME

Comment by ojie king – June 7, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MARTHA PLIMPTON NEEDS AN EMMY!

Comment by Brad – June 5, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! She rocks everything she does.

Comment by Deena – June 5, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s tough because TGW chooses good guest-stars. Most likely to get nomination would be Matthew Perry and Matthew J. fox but Maybe Dylan Baker & Martha Plimpton. I would love if Carrie Preston got some Emmy Love though.

Comment by qeee – June 5, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carrie Preston gets my vote (if I had one)! I love when she shows up, and she’s even more enjoyable on Good Wife than True Blood!

Comment by Ryan – June 5, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah she is. I LOVE her on this show waaay better than on True Blood and I’m a True Blood fan…

Comment by Jazzyt2u – June 5, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved them all, but the winner for me is Carrie Preston.

Comment by Leah – June 5, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! She is THE BEST.

Comment by audrey – June 6, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, and Celeste Serrano/Lisa Edelstein or Colin Sweeney/Dylan Baker for the nom/win!

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 5, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To have an amazing ensemble cast (Julianna Margulies, Christine Baranski, Archie Panjabi, Matt Czuchry, Josh Charles, Alan Cumming) and to still be able to create such an amazing wide range of characters shows how truly phenomenal the writers of this show are.

LOVE The Good Wife.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – June 5, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! That sums up my thoughts, too! Well put, Marin!

Comment by TV Gord – June 5, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carrie Preston is by far my favourite guest star on TGW. I hope she comes back at some point

Comment by mia – June 5, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew I was missing someone! Love Carrie Preston on TGW; actually not as fond of her on True Blood. It seems like TGW uses her skills better.

Comment by Cathy – June 5, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carrie Preston, Carrie Preston, Carrie Preston. Her performances have been utterly fantastic.

Comment by TMW – June 5, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand Amy Sedaris’ character. She is perhaps the sole exclusion from the list; as others have said TGW has killer guest stars. I love so many of them, but top of my list is Carrie Preston. Elsbeth is so fun & original.

Comment by Stacy – June 5, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They said two daughters of Oscar winners – am I missing something? Mamie Gummer is obviously one, who is the other?

Comment by wordsmith – June 5, 2012 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never mind, it’s Martha Plimpton. You learn something new every day. Thanks IMDB!

Comment by wordsmith – June 5, 2012 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carrie Preston all the way. Elsbeth never fails to make me laugh, and she always seems to have tricks up her sleeve

Comment by airhead – June 6, 2012 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! But I also like Michael J. Fox and Martha Plimpton! The “Dream Team” was one of the best episodes of the season! Every time they appeared on screen I started laughing. They were great together!

Comment by Mimi – June 6, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife needs to start a spin-off with these people, they’re all so great.

Comment by someone – June 6, 2012 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE all these women. can’t choose who I likes the most. maybe Carrie Preston? but they were all amazing. great characters, great performances.

Comment by noa – June 6, 2012 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only does the show have an incredible cast, it also has superb guest stars. Any of them are worthy of getting a nomination.

Comment by isabel – June 6, 2012 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved Lisa Edelstein as Celeste.

Comment by Adele – June 6, 2012 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yess!!! Lisa Edelstein totally deserves an Emmy!!!! She is incredibly talented!!! Loved Celeste! Emmy for Lisa Edelstein!! :D

Comment by Julie – June 8, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa edelstein the best

Comment by ana – June 6, 2012 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Martha Plimpton and Lisa Edelstein. :D

Comment by flor – June 6, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton, Amy Sedaris and Michael J. Fox are my top 3 picks.
    Honorable mention to Matthew Perry.

Comment by Polly – June 6, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton, Carrie Preston and Matthew Perry should get a nom.

Comment by pia – June 6, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh wow, they were all so good. Loved Carrie Preston, Martha Plimpton, Mamie Gummer, and Michael J. Fox the most but really all of them were excellent! TGW gets such great actors/actresses for these type roles! They are all so good in so different ways!

Comment by EveatEden – June 6, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best thing about The Good Wife’s guest spots is that they never feel like the writer’s just wrote someone in for the sake of a viewing boost. Each of those guest stars, love them or hate them, had a distinct well-rounded character to work with.

Comment by abfidy – June 6, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Celeste Serrano/Lisa Edelstein! she is awesome.

Comment by Liss ☮ (@LisandraRuiz) – June 6, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein
    as ‘Celeste Serrano’

Comment by camila – June 6, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein was so funny ! Was good to see her in that kind of character !

Comment by LoveHuddy – June 6, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say, I love this show. Here are just 13 of the reasons why.

Comment by Amy – June 6, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, the Emmys could have a list of guest stars nominess only with good wife’s actors, and no one would be angry. PLEASE!!! MATHEW PERRY NEEDS A WIN. At the exactly same time i could see the last characters he did (like Mr. Sunshine) it didn’t look at all whith them. I mean, this is the ebst part he got in YEARS! And I would just love if he could forget his pilot and just become a regular on the show. He’s much more entertainy in a drama character than in a comedy one. He rocked Alicia’s world!

Comment by Pearl – June 6, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lisa edelstein!!

Comment by Cuddy's lawyer – June 7, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton as Patti Nyholm, very clever

Comment by Marie – June 8, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LISA EDELSTEIN!!!<3
    THE BEST!!! *_______________*

Comment by itzelselene98 – June 8, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein amei Celeste Serrano Best**

Comment by TayMilani – June 8, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton and Michael J. Fox clearly deserve the wins!
    If I had to choose seconds, Mamie Gummer and Matthew Perry would be next for sure.

Comment by Mandy – June 9, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parker Posey deserves some love here!

Comment by Funky – June 13, 2012 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post