Nashville

Was Nashville Gesture Meaningless? Is World of Dance Judge to Blame? TV's Best Wardrobe? And Many More Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including American Ninja Warrior, Animal Kingdom, The Carmichael Show and Nashville!

1 | Is Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later‘s nuclear-themed subplot hitting a little too close to home?Orphan Black Helena

2 | On Orphan Black, why didn’t little Helena’s bleached/damaged hair eventually grow out in its natural color?

3 | After the way Insecure’s Lawrence treated Tasha, we’re all now officially done rooting for him to get back together with Issa, right? Also, did Molly really just blow off Sterling K. Brown’s Lionel? Really?!? On that note…

4 | Best surprise guest star of the week: Sterling K. Brown on Insecure, or Michael Emerson as Claws‘ hippy-dippy crime boss? (Since it was not televised, we cannot allow write-in votes for Brown performing a “For Good” duet with TCA Awards host Kristin Chenoweth.)

5 | How much longer do we think Power will give Proctor — Ghost and Tommy’s former lawyer/current accomplice — before killing him off? (The man knows too much to live, right?)

6 | On Game of Thrones, didn’t that body of water at the battle look far more shallow at first than it did when Jaime sunk to its depths in the final shot? And since it’s obvious Jaime didn’t really die, riddle is this: How will he survive his deep-sea plunge?

7 | Between last week’s Everwood reunion and this week’s return of Hallmark Channel’s Chesapeake Shores, are you feeling a strong urge to move to a picturesque small town?

8 | Was American Ninja Warrior attempt to connect a contestant’s backstory to This Is Us kind of clunky? And does anyone know which song Drew Drechsel was listening to during his run?

9 | How must The Bachelorette‘s “winner” Bryan have felt after he watched his fiancée Rachel tell Peter she loves him and then sob as she walked away from him?World Dance Finale Les Twins

10 | While we agree with the World of Dance judges that Eva Igo’s first performance was lacking, wasn’t Ne-Yo’s song choice, which totally did not fit the dancer’s style, partly to blame?

11 | Is it possible Difficult People crammed too many bits into its overstuffed, manic and disappointingly laugh-free season premiere?

12 | When did Animal Kingdom‘s Deran go from not wanting underage Nicky so much as in his bar to openly doing shots with her? And has anyone ever stopped longer to chitchat after catching his uncle getting a BJ than J? Speaking of that BJ, doesn’t the bar’s back room have a lock?Younger

13 | Which Younger kiss was a bigger miss?

14 | Most coveted wardrobe currently on TV: Suits, Younger or The Bold Type?

15 | If you’re unfamiliar with Mr. Mercedes‘ source material, did the ice cream truck jingle nonetheless seem a bit ominous the very first time you heard it? And who needed a minute to recognize UnREAL‘s Breeda Wool as Brady’s coworker Lou?

16 | Carmichael Show fans, would you have been more satisfied if the penultimate episode — in which Jerrod and Maxine married — had served as the series finale?

17 | Was this week’s Blood Drive the first major misstep, a “dreamscape” storyline with snoozy stakes?

18 | When Zoo‘s Abigail was beating on Clementine, were you like, “Hey, be a little nicer to the only pregnant woman on Earth!”?

19 | Does NBC think we don’t remember that they just tried (and failed) to reboot The Munsters a mere five years ago, in the form of Bryan Fuller’s Mockingbird Lane? Meanwhile, TVLine reader Shar asks: “Can the networks just go back to what they used to do — steal from British television?”

20 | Did anyone else in the Night Shift/The Flash Venn diagram overlap have flashbacks to the Man in the Iron Mask when Shannon used the POW tap code?

21 | Who made for a better Mooch: President Show frequenter Mario Cantone or Saturday Night Live alum Bill Hader?

22 | On Nashville, wouldn’t the American Music Award votes have already been tabulated by the time Juliette withdrew herself from the competition, making her gesture to Maddie kind… but meaningless? Also, can Kacey Musgraves be a regular visitor to Highway 65? That singalong was fun.

23 | If Netflix drops a Naomi Watts show in the middle of the summer, and no one’s seen it, did it ever really exist?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. ellajasper says:

It did seem as if Eva should have won the competition. Love all the judges, but didn’t always agree with Ne-Yo’s scores.

2. Daisy says:

1. Close to home? Yes. But who could’ve possibly predicted that we’d be one tweet away from actual nuclear war.

3. Sarah says:

6 – Yes and Bron does not wear armor so he won’t be weighed down like Jaime.

• luvprue2 says:

Good catch! Born and Jamie had a conversation about Bron refusal to wear armor. So I believe that Bron is going to save Jamie.

4. mmh1019 says:

14. Super close between Suits & The Bold Type, on TBT even the outfits I initially think are misses have some cute pieces in the ensemble.
    Additional to 20. The Night Shift had such a great opportunity for a Pitch reunion between Mark Consuelos & Dan Lauria! I wanted to see them at least have a small moment on screen! Otherwise what an amazing episode.

• LolaHaze says:

Re #20: It was an amazing episode! It would have been nice if any of the entertainment sites had picked up on it and run an article. With less than one percent of the U.S. population serving in the military most people in the U.S. don’t even know someone who has served or is currently serving. The Night Shift does such an excellent job of giving a glimpse into what that life is like for both service members and their families. And to have a whole show that was crafted by veterans is just brilliant.

5. T.W.S.S. says:

16. Nekeisha was (noticeably) not in the wedding episodes, so it was nice to see them all together in the finale.

• Gena says:

Agreed. She and Bobby were my favorites anyway, so I’m kinda glad that if the series had to end, it did so on a largely Bobby-centric episode (though his plot also ended up being the catalyst for Jerrod and Maxine’s talk about money and power dynamics in relationships…); and I thought it was extra-sweet that the very end of the show happened to involve a Prince reference (Jerrod had bought that life-size statue). :’)

• Carm says:

I liked the first episode better. I think they missed an opportunity. I could just imagine Nekeisha’s comments when the family was figuring out the three way. It would have been hilarious. I will miss this show.

6. Nick Juhacz says:

Zoo:
    Glad this was here. Forgot it came on last night as my DVR did not record it. Found out today though, it did record at 2:07 AM. Guess my local affiliate delayed it.

World of Dance:
    Why are the judges mentoring the contestants anyway? The show should hire mentors instead. SYTYCD judges do not mentor the contestants. And while The Voice judges do mentor the contestants, they are not the ones who ultimately decides who wins.

Blood Drive:
    Yes, I thought this episode was the worst of the season so far, and by the looks of the preview for next week, this continues. Not looking forward to it.

7. Lisa says:

It’s certainly not a given that Jamie survives. But if he does, I’d assume it’s because he pulls off the armor and golden hand, or Bronn swims down to him to help.

8. Libkat says:

6. Bronn also went into the suddenly very deep water. Bronn doesn’t wear heavy armor. Jaime owes Bronn money and a castle. Ergo Bronn will save Jaime’s pretty tuchas.

9. Jim says:

#22….Yes, but if Juliette had won but dropped out, it would open the door for Maddie to win if she had the second-highest number of votes. I don’t think the gesture was about votes. Juliette felt she didn’t deserve the nomination after stealing the song from Maddie; it was more about doing the right thing and publicly atoning for her mistake.

• Gena says:

Bingo. :) (Also, I’ve pretty much had it with Scarlett-Gunnar relationship drama. They were my favorites when the series first began, but by now I’m ready for them to completely take a break from each other, and she can make some music with Will or something…)

10. Kat says:

2. Why didn’t the actress who plays Charlotte (aka the young clone) not play a young Helena?

• Lola says:

This. So much this. Why does young Helena look different from Charlotte (and thus all the other clones?)

• Alichat says:

YES!! This stood out to me more than Helena’s blond hair. I assumed she chose to bleach her hair from then on as it became part of her identity…..especially after she was taken in by the crazy pants Tomas. But why didn’t Cynthia Galant portray young Helena as she did for young Rachel?

• LOL says:

I feel like it was a problem with the accent but tbh, the girl they hired wasn’t that much better.

• tigersmurfette says:

the producers answered this question on another site. they felt that the charlotte actress was great but was good and the more reserved rachel type character and needed someone a little more wild and such.

• Lola says:

Thanks for sharing that explanation, but they are CLONES. They are identical. Having a character played by someone who looks completely different makes absolutely no sense. It’s like having an adult clone NOT played by Tatiana Maslany because *reasons*.

11. V.J. says:

Because I´m a sceptic and a pessimist I´m actually not sure if Jaime is going to survive (I hope he does, otherwise I´m going to lose the betting poole I have going about who dies when and who kills who). I mean it would be a disappointment to see a main character die in such a boring, meaningless fashion but on the other hand… wouldn´t that be great and really suprising? Not every person gets a meaningful, impressive death…. this show taught me not to trust these writers and creators…
    either way: yeah, the water seemed far to deep and I actually thought: “Well, that´s a weirdly deep lake…” But hey ^^

• Jim says:

If they were going to kill him in such a meaningless way, they would have just let the dragon barbecue Jaime.

But here’s another burning question (no pun intended)…how do you get a wounded dragon back to Dragonstone? If you’ve ever tried to get a cat in it’s carrier for a trip to the vet, you know what I mean…

• matraupach says:

Dragons actually heal pretty fast…
        And the wound was actually quite minor ( a hit in the shoulder) …
        So long the arrow wasn’t poisoned (we speak of a weapon Qyburn built) there should be no problem and even if it was poisoned, there is no telling if the poison actually works on a dragon.
        Drogon mostly went down because of the impact, the shock and the irritation, if the wound would have been more severe he would have been unable to stop the fall and hover before landing safely.
        Drogon might be quite smart (as are all dragons) but technically he is only about 6 years old so this new experience might have done more mental damage than physical damage…
        But we could see that he actually recovered quite fast….

• MLO says:

LMAO… dragons actually heal pretty fast. Like they’re real and we have scientific knowledge of these things.

• matraupach says:

No, we don’t have scientific knowledge, we have only the evidence based knowledge the books and the tv show are giving to us:
            That means that when we see Drogon heal from the spear wounds he received in the fighting pits we realize that this was a really fast recovery (less than a day! It most likely took only hours!)

12. Richard says:

16. Yes, the Carmichael show should have ended with the marriage. It’s really too bad it’s ending, I would have liked to have seen how they handled Maxine’s unplanned pregnancy, which would have happened at some point.

On another note: I have a question about SYTYCD: Why did they bother having the All Stars include both boys and girls on their respective teams when it was blatantly obvious that they had to pick the final team member of the opposite sex? There was not one All Star who picked a partner of the same sex.

13. N.Kyl says:

3. Uhm what did Lawrence do that was so bad….yall seem to forget that Issa SLEPT with another man when she was in a fully committed rship….Lawrence & Tisha are in a “sorta rship” and Tisha knows that. Yes Lawrence “cheated” on Tasha but it was with Issa…. I love ma girl Iss but she’s no angel…and trying to make it seem like she’s too good for Lawrence is a gross double standard.
    Tisha knew what the deal was with Lawrence….she even said it when she was talking to Lawrence on the phone…question is, if she knew it was just hooking up why would she invite him to her family gathering……I’m #teamLawrenceandIssa, they are both messed up right now but they should find a way to each other.

14. Dude says:

2. I think the bigger question is, why didn’t they use the same actress that plays Charlotte/Young Rachel?

15. Spence says:

11: Agree, Difficult People premiere was a bit all over the place and didn’t land many laughs. The other two episodes, though, were great!

16. Sarah says:

Bold Type for me has the most envious wardrobe.
    Yes I agree we need more Kacey on Nashville

17. Dina says:

#2 isn’t the bigger question why are they not using the same actress who plays little Rachel to play little Helena?

18. Jay says:

I love Animal Kingdom, great stories & cast.

Nashville needs to send Maddie on a tour & forget about her!!!

Shame on NBC for canceling the Carmichael Show… well written, topical stories, fun cast. Maybe a more progressive network should pick it up. Then again, maybe NBC should try adding Sat as a comedy night, like when golden Girls, etc. were big hits!

19. Jamey says:

!4 – Suits!

20. TV Gord says:

I actually liked that The Carmichael Show didn’t end with Jerrod and Maxine’s wedding. It wasn’t that major an event in their lives, and it was nice to have one full episode where they could refer to themselves as actually being married. What I am more focused on is the fact that this special series ended with two of its strongest episodes. I look forward to the future, when everyone will claim they watched this show (the way people lie now about watching shows such as The Wire and Treme).

21. kirads09 says:

#7 – in the context of those shows, maybe. But I have seen too many Stephen King shows and read the books to know how messed up “quaint little towns” can be and know how the story goes. That kinda kills it for me.

22. chiguy79 says:

#6 – I had the same question about the sudden depth (actually posted it in the episode recap thread) but after speaking to a friend who watches the show, he said it was a fjord Bronn pushed him into which actually do have sudden severe drops like that which makes sense given the area they typically film the show in.

23. Marci says:

I love this show and wish it were coming back. The last two episodes, which aired on Tuesday, were the only ones in the entire series that I didn’t like. A very disappointing end for me.

24. Marie says:

7. I am a native Arizonan & would move to Flagstaff right now if I could physically & financially make it on my own.

25. arial2 says:

21 – Mario Cantone because the first time the mooch appeared on tv, my first thought was “OMG, this guy could be Mario Cantone’s brother if this were a comedy instead of our sad, sad reality!”

26. Jamie says:

3. Molly and I are no longer on speaking terms. Can’t believe she turned down Sterling K Brown’s sexy self! Especially since he was coming at her with SZA concert tickets! Something’s wrong with her.

27. TV Gord says:

Hader versus Cantone? They BOTH made me laugh, so I can’t choose. They both bring something to the ridiculous persona, so let them both have at it!

I may change my mind after seeing him on This Week with George Snuffleupagus today or on Colbert on Monday, but for now, Hader/Cantone, potayto/potahto.

28. Shar says:

Re # 19 – I am honoured and a tad verklempt to see you quote me re stealing from British t.v. As a Canadian I’ve seen more than my share of Britcoms and dramas, the excellent, the good, the bad and the sophomoric and there is content that could be re-imaged for this side of the pond. Take a look at New Tricks for example.