Teen Wolf Recap: Club Dread (Doctors)

Teen Wolf Chimera

Teen Wolf is throwing so many new creatures and concepts our way this season, I’m starting to feel like Scott in that hellish science class. So let’s talk about the latest addition to the Beacon Hills encyclopedia: “chimera.”

That’s apparently the breed of creature — in this case, a mixture of werewolf, eagle and kanima — being cooked up by the Dread Doctors, which Scott and his pals discovered Monday after battling new-chimera Lucas at an underground gay club. (And I stand by my tweet that, even with half of the action literally set at a gay bar, this episode was only marginally gayer than most. It was great.)

Despite all this newfound knowledge, though, we’re still not sure for what purpose these chimera are being produced. In fact, following Malia’s discovery of an apparent science fiction book about the Dread Doctors, can we even be sure they’re real? I know that seems like a crazy question, but let’s be honest, far wackier inquiries have been posed during the past four seasons.

(Side note: I loved Scott’s pep talk from his mom at the end of the hour, and I’ll definitely be using her line about “should-ing all over yourself” in my daily life. I’m so glad she’s in the know.)

Elsewhere in Beacon Hills this week…

NEW THEO-RY | Cody Christian’s character has always been hot a bit of an oddball, doing enough good deeds (saving Lydia!) to balance out his not-so-good deeds (dat hammer scene!) and keep us guessing as to whether or not he can really be trusted. But after this week’s episode, particularly the part when he told Donovan to hurt Stiles in order to make Sheriff Stilinski suffer, I’m willing to just throw him in the garbage pile. Also, is he working with the Dread Doctors? And is this all part of his plan to come between Scott and Stiles, as revealed by showrunner Jeff Davis during Teen Wolf‘s Comic-Con panel? Once a Pretty Little Liar, always a Pretty Little Liar, I guess.

Teen Wolf LydiaFIGHT SONG | During our interview at Comic-Con (which you can see in full below), Holland Roden told me we will see Lydia develop the kick-ass abilities she demonstrated in the season premiere, and this week, a conversation with Parrish laid down the groundwork for that physical education. After getting her tail handed to her — so to speak — by Tracy, our girl Lydia ended up in the hospital, where she begged Jackson 2.o Parrish to teach her a little jiu-jitsu.

Speaking of Lydia and Parrish, it also looks like she’s finally helping him find out what he really is. At the top of the hour, he took her through a recurring dream, one in which he places burning corpses at the base of the nemeton — which you’ll remember as that supernatural stump from Season 3, not the mythical swamp creature from Doug; that’s a neematoad. Only it wasn’t just a dream, because the episode ended with Parrish delivering Lucas’ body to the tree! All this weird feeding… it’s like Little Shop of Hotties up in here.

Your thoughts on this week’s Teen Wolf? Do you think Theo is working with the Doctors? Are they even real?! Watch our Comic-Con interview with the cast below, then  drop a comment with your full review of the hour.

1. Cc says:

Wait, when did the convo we saw at the top of the hour between Lydia and Parrish take place? In the very next scene, she was injured from the attack last night and the episode seemed to go from there. So when did that opening take place?

• Andy Swift says:

This is a *very* good question.

• Kait says:

This show always had a weird timeline with injury recovery, even with the mortals. Braeden came back from being left for dead for shirtless Derek scenes overnight and even Stiles had wounds heal from scene-to-scene.

• 'A' Is Alive says:

This is NOT one of those cases. The scene in question must happen AFTER all of this or it happened before but it’ll be a major thing that comes up. My theory is it was to help explain the ending when Parrish is carrying the corpse of Lucas to the tree. We already knew about his dream thanks to the beginning of the episode but now we ALSO know its real. So it helped.

• The dream sequence happened during the 3 weeks Lydia was trying to figure out what PArrish was. He said hed’ been having them for 6months which indicates a little before the time jump. The lucas thing at the end actually happened in real time.

• marie says:

i know that made no sense but i think parrish was dreaming

2. nate says:

What the hell is up with Kira

3. brian wilson says:

What if Theo is the 3 doctors even though there are 3 their still are just a thing of your imagination cause he’s never around when they pop up even when he was at their lab where were they?

• 'A' Is Alive says:

Didn’t you see them (well one of them) by the entrance of where they were keeping Donovan? It was dark, but it was definitely there. I believe “Theo” is one of their subjects but turned out to be a promising one and that’s how he got his abilities. I just don’t know why he’s trying to buddy up to Scott and get between Scott and Stiles friendship. But we’ll know in due time.

• Jasmine says:

I think he’s trying to earn Scotts trust so he can join Scotts pack, because as Deaton once mentioned, a true alphas powers cannot be taken but a Beta from his own pack can steal it. I think Theo’s trying to steal Scott’s powers.

• shutuprob says:

I don’t think you waste Todd Williams in the role of a random new doctor at the hospital, a seemingly tertiary role at first glance, unless he’s not-so-tertiary a character after all. Thus, he’s almost certainly one of the Dread Doctors. Or a Red Herring. But, yeah, he’s one of the Dread Doctors.

• marie says:

theo is not one of the dread doctors he helps them with the patience they should and fing out things about scotts group of friends

4. Kait says:

Little Shop of Hotties *applause*

Great episode. It is weird that the Dread Doctors seem to be able to apparate. Wonder if someone was controlling them. Maybe missing Aunt Kate sent Theo? I like that they’re using creatures from last season’s that we thought were probably no more after their in-season arc was up.

5. Dwayne says:

I’m under the impression that the little convo between Lydia & Parrish was a flash forward scene

• Valentine says:

I don’t think it’s forward because when she is at the clinic Lydia already knows how to fight, right?

• Dwayne says:

I mean the conversation when they talk about his dream and she burns him with the lighter

• Paula says:

And…..on Wolf Watch episode 1, Holland said that Eichen House is the present day and everything else has already happened, I would think that the convo happened at the end of 4B when they worked together for 3 weeks trying to figure out what he was.

6. lilbat says:

i think parish is a pheonix. with his dream where his eyes and body are in flames. that sounds like a phoenix to me.

• ScottJ says:

Jeff Davies said no to the phoenix theory last year. He could be telling lies I suppose. There’s not a lot of other fire type creatures in the various mythologies, but the show does have a habit of finding very obscure creatures.

• ScottJ says:

Jeff Davis ..not Davies…sigh..I was so busy trying to spell Jeff correctly that I still got his name wrong.

• lilbat says:

omg im so glad someone responded. thats the only thing i have ever heard of that is covered in fire. yes that is true bout obsure creatures. they may just be trying to confuse us. im still searcing online lol

7. tyranthraxus says:

Wow, sometimes I wish Stiles didnt lose all the Nogitsune in him, He could certainly of done with a bit of void by the end of the episode where hes being attacked by Donovan. Im also sensing the show is trying to align Malia away from Stiles. She is getting the independence back she had as as Coyote for all those years and while both Stiles and Malia are in the same ‘pack’ … I dont know I dont get the same vibe I got from them last season.

Thats not to mention the byplay we had between Stiles and Lydia this episode. Im not sure there is anything to it (esp where the show seems to be headed with Parrish and Lydia but Ive also got a feeling Parrish isnt long for this world)

Im also going to put it out there that I think 3B was probably the most character development Stiles has ever had on the show. It literally carried some of the episodes. Now that the Nogitsune storyline is over, Im not sure how I feel about Stiles.

8. Steven says:

Every time they mention the nemeton I call it the neematoad. Glad it’s not just me!

9. Valentine says:

chimera is the mixing of DNA not the name of the creature!

• Andy Swift says:

It’s the type of creature. According to Wikipedia, which they referenced on the show: “The term chimera has come to describe any mythical or fictional animal with parts taken from various animals, or to describe anything composed of very disparate parts, or perceived as wildly imaginative, implausible, or dazzling.”

10. shutuprob says:

Could Jeff Davis puh-leeze stop trying to make Scott and Kira happen. While Kira is interesting enough as a character to belong on the show, there’s just no romantic chemistry whatsoever between her and Scott, which tends to make Scott’s chemistry with Lydia stand out. They’d might as well pull the trigger on the romantic trapezoid of Scott-Lydia-Stiles-Malia while they’re at it. The show’s been on long enough that they’ve earned going there.

• Steven says:

I agree, Scott and Kira have zero chemistry. She always felt like a rebound from Alison who just stuck around.

11. robandco says:

What the hell is Parrish?! I don’t think he is a phoenix though. Too obvious. Could he be a Jinn? An Ifrit? Jinns can be neutral so it could explain why he is unwillingly helping the bad guys. Anyway as long as he is shirtless I am ok with whatever he is.

12. Anne says:

Could Parrish be a Phoenix and be brining the dead bodies of the doctors’ experiments to the nemeton because he wants them to be reborn? Or something to of that kind?

13. brian wilson says:

Were the dread doctors real when lidya was having surgery?

14. KS says:

Remember when this show used to be about werewolves?

15. Mary Kate says:

Loved this episode. LOVED the focus on Stiles seeing Lydia hurt. Jeff please deliver the goods this season!!!

• Monique says:

I feel like I could say the same about the look between Stiles and Derek in the last season finale. I’m sick of Jeff Davis doing nothing but tease the hardcore shippers. Sigh. That said, I like Lydia with Parrish more than Stiles, but don’t like him with Malia, so Lydia would be a major upgrade IMO.

16. Taityana obrien says:

Why do they still have Kira on the show she’s not very much entertaining and Malik as well .im really hoping that Lydia and stiles get together you could tell he still cares about her by the way he was looking at her when she was hurt.

17. True Alpha says:

I think the dread doctors are not real at all. As seen in episode one, apparently Valack can appear to look like someone or something else. He’s the mastermind behind the “dread doctors” which is why they evaporate from scenes.

Deputy Parrish is some sort of Link between the human world and mythical word. Disposing of the bodies of the mythical creatures and giving energy to the nematot (spell check)

Scott looks like he’s fighting his own beta in that first episode as well.. (Food for thought). Maybe a power struggle..

Where is derek?!?!

Lydia finally found her true banshee power.

The kitsune in Kira is starting to really emerge the more she’s around these mythical creatures. I think it gets to a point she can’t control it which is why she appears to leave in episode 1.

Stiles car probably just blew up from all that tape lol… Normal near-death experience for good old stiles

What if dessert wolf was Alison’s mom revived? Talk about plot twist lol…