Ratings: Vampire Diaries and Reign Premieres Down, ABC Dramas Dip But Dominate, NBC Sitcoms Debut OK

Bad Judge Premiere Ratings

As The CW began its own premiere week, The Vampire Diaries returned to 1.8 million total viewers and a 0.9 rating (per finals), up 13 percent from its May finale but down 30 and 25 percent from its previous premiere. TVLine readers gave the episode an average grade of “B.”

Similarly, Reign (with 1 mil and a 0.4, average grade “A-“) was down 50 percent from its year-ago debut while on par with its freshman finale.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy (9.4 mil/2.7) slipped 7 and 18 percent from premiere week, Scandal (10.7 mil/3.4) was down 12 percent and How to Get Away With Murder (12.2 mil/3.3) fell 15 percent. (Year over year, ABC’s Thursday lineup remains up — 21 and 7 percent.)

FOX | Bones (6.4 mil/1.5) ticked down a tenth from its opener. The Gracepoint premiere (4.8 mil/1.2, average grade “B+”) was up in audience but down in the demo versus Glee‘s average (4.6 mil/1.7) in the time slot last fall.

NBC | Leading out of a steady Biggest Loser (4.7 mil/1.3), Bad Judge debuted to 5.9 mil and a 1.3 (and average grade “C+”), while A to Z‘s launch drew 4.8 mil/1.2 (average grade “B+”). On average, the sitcombo was up in viewers but down in the demo versus last fall’s first Sean Saves the World/Michael J. Fox Show pairing. Parenthood (4.4 mil/1.3) ticked down a tenth.

CBS | Thursday Night Football (13.2 mil/4.3) matched last week’s finals.

1. Moment says:

ABC had a great night, TVD and Bones had a good night. It looks like the CW were a bit hasty renewing Reign, a .4 is bad for a season premiere. NBC didn’t do that great.

• Jericho says:

Honestly, I did not even realize that the CW was starting to premiere stuff this week. I have been waiting for next Flash & Arrow next Tues/Wednesday and just assumed that TVD and Reign would premiere then as well. I would call this a flaw in the CWs PR department as well as their scheduling choices more than the two show’s failure to launch their seasons.

2. ted says:

REIGN IS FACING CANCELLATION!

• Brandy says:

No.CW has never cancelled a show with two full seasons plus Reign has critical acclaim & has network support

• Moment says:

I agree, if they can renew Beauty and the Beast anything is possible.

• XtremeCota says:

Veronica Mars says hello…And Reign’s only had never full season. I’m not sure where you’re informationfrom.

• Brandy says:

Veronica Mars had three seasons and had the misfortune of being on during the of the network merger plus syndication was 100 episodes then not 88 like today.Reign will have two full seasons at the end of this season which is why I’m saying it’ll have two full seasons and that Czw ( since the CW itself) started they’ve never cancelled a show with 44 episodes

• ggny000 says:

eh a 0.4 isnt bad for the CW. If it stays around 0.4 all year it will be fine. For the CW it really depends on how is does online

• Moment says:

Actually a .4 is bad for the CW and quite a lot of shows have been canceled on the network during their first seasons with it.

• Drewer says:

The CW rarely cancels things mid season, plus the numbers are on par with much of the Spring viewing, they renewed it knowing that the numbers would be that low.

• Moment says:

I doubt the CW expected a .4 for the Reign premiere.

• Brandy says:

I’m sure they did since that’s what it got last spring

• Moment says:

Last spring is a bit vague. It did pull a few .5s-7s. The finale got a .4 I’ll give you that. The potential was there to get higher than a .4 for the premiere of Season 2, and I’m sure the CW would have expected a bit better.

• Jenn says:

The fall is not the spring. A season premiere is typically one of the highest points for most shows during a season, as depreciation kicks in throughout the season. So starting this badly is not a good sign that the show will weather the spring very well.

• Brandy says:

@Moment by spring I mean March-May.Reign got 0.4-0.5 then.VDgot 0.7-0.9

• Jamie says:

Reign is now facing Scandal on ABC in it’s timeslot. Being on par with the previous finale is not surprising. The CW most likely expected this.

3. aunni says:

there is justice after all…!!! tvd deserve it. im praying to tv god, arrow deserve better rating than last yr. cant wait for october 8 (9 in my country)

4. Boiler says:

CW needs to do a huge promotion blitz for Hart of Dixie and get it back on the air

5. justtobesane says:

I really liked Gracepoint, even though most reviewers did not. But Fox put it up against Scandal and that was not a good move.

6. Ash says:

I just really like this photo of Ka- I mean Rebecca. Ha.

7. hipster says:

Never seize to surprise me how many people watch a regular season game even if it’s a complete blowout by halftime. No shock CBS will keep winning Thursday night until it’s done with football.

8. Kar says:

Vampire Diaries ratings is disaster. The writers ruined the show

• Moment says:

Er a .9 is good for the CW. Far from a disaster like you’re claiming.

• aunni says:

demo is important bt look at number of viewers…!!! tvd is stuck at. 9 forever, it does not matter if they have only 90000 ppl watching.

• Moment says:

The CW doesn’t get a lot of viewers these days, if you can hit over 2 million viewers great, but you can still be renewed with less. I don’t even watch TVD so I’m neutral with my opinion.

• Jenn says:

As with Reign, the problem isn’t the number itself, it’s where the show is at the beginning of the season. TVD will likely depreciate throughout the year, so a 0.9 is probably a high point. If we follow the exact percentage fall that TVD had from last fall to last spring, you’re talking around a 30% loss in viewership. Translated in demo numbers, that’s about a .06 by the middle of spring.

9. BrittBrat says:

I definitely don’t want Reign to get cancelled! I love that show and the beautiful costumes. Hopefully people just forgot that it was on last night.

• tp says:

I think a lot of the problem with Reign was the way it was promoted. They did more tv press in Canada, much more than they did here. Most of the press for here (the states) pushed the hell out of the Frola baby which wasn’t going over in the fandom well. It’s just a little bit too much angst for the Frary shippers especially since Francis doesn’t have much longer. I love Reign but I haven’t even watched it yet. Honestly I haven’t watched ANY of my Thursday shows.

• Amanda says:

I refused to watch the premiere because of the Frola business. I think until they end this Frola nonsense, most Frary fans are not going to be interested in watching. Why end one triangle just to swap it for another one, a worse one? Not interested in watching Mary be humiliated and Francis grow close to Lola. They ought to make this baby be someone else’s, say Lola slept with someone off screen and didn’t think it could be that guy’s baby so she thought it was Francis’s, and give Lola her own love. I have no desire to see Francis torn between Mary and Lola and see Mary all upset, and I doubt any Frary fan does. And all the interviews give no hope to Frary fans. Hard to believe the producer says she’s a Frary fan because I’d never know it from the writing.

10. Robert Dinca says:

NBC’s sitcoms did awful, 1.3/1.4 for a premiere is terrible

11. Sarah says:

Bones :( Its HH rating gave me hope that it did better than that. Hopefully it will adjust up, though.

12. Ritz says:

Bones is the one of the Best Shows on TV!

13. Party stamps says:

I wonder how many people watched the digital premiere of A to Z and skipped it when it was on last night. I DVRd it and had my husband rewarch with me to get him into it.

• tp says:

I just watched it and it was so cute. Totally unrealistic but cute as all get out. HIMYM really missed out on having Cristin Milioti in the last season more. She is great. Ben Feldman was just as good. They make a believable couple.

14. Well, there is a question if the new shows on CW will be succesful or not, bc if they would be succesful bye bye Reign, and when you see the list of the new shows on CW there is some potencial in that,. Of course I am not talking about Jane the Virgin, I am definitely sure that this show will not even survive to the spring part of this season.

15. jj says:

Gracepoint was ok, I will give it one more episode. Bad Judge was beyond bad. There is nothing funny about an unprofessional judge. Just dreadful.

16. Cas says:

For a show in it’s 6th season, and being on the CW and up from the finale I would say TVD rating is just fine. Who cares if it isn’t the CWs number one show anymore, all shows age sometimes. Odds are it won’t be around much longer anyway as I bet the cast is ready to move on.

17. So Happy says:

I love Reign and hope more people watch it! ♡♡

18. Tabby says:

I am not surprised TVD went down in ratings! That’s what happens when you kill off a beloved and favorite character like Damon! If they don’t bring him back, I foresee the ratings continue to drop…so many shows have made this mistake…look at the 2004 show The O.C. they were going to have a 5th season but the ratings were so bad after the 4th Season because they killed off main character Marissa in the end of season 3 and everyone got mad and stopped watching the show…bring back Damon and watch the ratings get back to normal :)

• Jessica says:

Last time I checked, the low ratings have nothing to do with Damon. The ratings were low even when Damon was alive. Don’t get ahead of yourself. People are getting sick of the Delena show.

19. taytay says:

I love reign too and I hope they never cancel it. its competing with Scandal, and its still getting pretty good viewership