Ratings: Selfie and Love Story Gets Few Likes, S.H.I.E.L.D. Ties Low, Mindy Rises

Selfie Episodes on Hulu

ABC’s Selfie didn’t get a huge amount of Instagratification with its Tuesday premiere, drawing 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating (per finals).

Manhattan Love Story had even fewer followers, leading out of that with 4.7 mil and a 1.5.

TVLine readers gave Selfie an average grade of “B”, while Love Story settled for a “C+.”

Continuing ABC’s night, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (5.1 mil/1.8) fell 15 percent (tying its series low), while Forever (5.7 mil/1.4) dropped 17 and 22 percent.

Elsewhere….

CBS | NCIS (18.6 mil/2.6) added a few eyeballs versus its premiere but slipped 10 percent in the demo. NCIS: New Orleans (16.4 mil/2.3) dipped 5 and 8 percent from its debut. Person of Interest (10.8 mil/1.8) ticked up 2 percent and a tenth.

RELATED The Voice Recap: The Curious Case of Un-Pushed Buttons

NBC | The Voice (13.7 mil/4.1) ticked up a tenth week-to-week. Chicago Fire (8.7 mil/2.3) slipped 4 and 11 percent from its shocking season opener.

RELATED The Mindy Project Recap: Evasive Maneuvers

FOX | Utopia (2 mil/0.8) added a few viewers while steady in the demo, New Girl (2.4 mil/1.3) was flat and Mindy Project (2.3 mil/1.1) rose 10 percent and a tenth.

1. Boiler says:

Personally I think New Girl and Mindy are having good years as to quality. Don’t know if its Utopia or people’s fascination with NCIS but these shows deserve better.

• S. says:

I agree. New Girl is getting better again (thank goodness, I was sad that it had turned into a hot mess because I’d enjoyed the show). The Mindy Project’s really good and they’re using the supporting cast more this season so far plus the guest stars are nailing it. Rhea Pearlman’s awesome. I hope things go well enough that they get the full 24 eps this year and a renewal. Given how tragic the new shows are so far for all the networks, they might need it to fill up the time. Any midseason show they might’ve wanted to put in its slot could be pressed into service sooner rather than later.

2. Moment says:

ABC had a terrible night, Selfie and Manhatten Love Story did poorly too. Expected as much for Selfie anyway and most critics predicted it too. Nice to see New Girl and Mindy hanging in there despite the terrible lead in. Chicago Fire and POI both did great.

3. meni says:

Those stupid. Comedies brought down shield and forever like a set of jenga blocks not good at all!

4. this is just terrible. never knew selfie can pull black-ish numbers, but 1.4 in demo ratings is just terrible. still wish for something magical to happen to those new girl and the mindy project views but we are maybe looking at double cancellation. or maybe only tmp is getting axed since new girl had golden globe nods. And I guess ABC did a huge motherf**king mistake by renewing SHIELD

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s the spirit.

• murley says:

Hahaha!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I say we just cancel everything and everybody read a book until midseason. (Is the BookLine.com URL taken…?)

• i was just saying it as I see it. “(Is the BookLine.com URL taken…?)” was that for me or something? :D

• Mr. Sunshine says:

Yep, they can’t cancel book reading. :-)

• herman1959 says:

Wellll…not yet. OK, Selfie and Manhattan Love Story seem to be on deathwatch, but lets apply the 5-episode rule and give them 4 more weeks.

• Moment says:

@herman1959

If Selfie and Manhattan continue to drop with each episode, it’ll be pulled from the schedule by the end of October, guaranteed.

• ec says:

With the publishing industry hurting, maybe eBookLine.com… or better yet, MoviesBasedonaBookLine.com. I dunno, no more summer blockbusters to drive content for a site like that – TVSeriesBasedonaBookLine.com ?
            Dammit, full circle.

• John NYC says:

It’s that old Abbot and Costello bit: Costello says he was just dumped by his sexy girlfriend and he’s only going to date ugly women from now on. Abbot points out they could dump him too. Costello: “Who cares?”

Expecting everything to be canceled sort of pre-innoculates interwebbies from getting disappointed, “who cares, it’s all doomed anyway”. And there’s the up side that when a show doesn’t get canceled: Bonus!

I like the book idea. Maybe something happy and uplifting. Game of Thrones?

• Didn’t the first episode of SHIELD get a huge bump in the ratings when DVRs were accounted for? Same might happen with the second one.

5. RedReddington says:

I don’t understand why people aren’t watching Agents of Shield. It’s good! Admittedly it struggled last season until Winter Soldier premiered, but its been great ever since. It’s a shame no one is watching.
    And Forever is great too. I hope ABC doesn’t jump the gun and cancel it. *sigh*

• Moment says:

ABC won’t unless it drops further. I’m sad by this drop too, I thought Forever would have a miracle type revival, it grew its 18-49 from the premiere too. Now Nielsens just gave up, I can’t imagine why either.

• Misscar says:

It’s not that people are not watching the show, it’s that people don’t watch it live. In my case I love the show but I can never watch it live because I don’t get home to almost 10 on Tuesday nights. I wake up at 5 AM the next morning to stream the episode before going to work.

I know I’m not alone. Take last week for example: the preliminary rating was a 1.9. The final same day a 2.1. The three-day rating was 3.2. The salvation may in that the C+3 is actually what they use and we never see that number.

• Kathy A says:

I don’t watch anything live except Yankee games and horse races. Everything else is DVRd (on two different DVDs hooked up to DirecTV) so I can fast-forward through commercials (especially during election season).

• Carla Krae says:

I think they are, but it’s on DVR.

• It’s also because of what’s on before…the Tuesday night schedule just doesn’t go well together. Freshman sitcoms like Selfie and Manhattan Love Story won’t bode well for SHIELD. :( It’s sad cause I love Agents of SHIELD and hope for it to be renewed!

6. shreya says:

The faster ABC realises the better forever is a great show don’t want it cancelled at all

• Jake Cardigen says:

“Shield did really well in the first week 2.0 was great but this week 1.7 I can only blame it on a bad lead in from selfie”

If anything, it was Manhattan Love Story with 4.3 mil and a 1.3. SHIELD pulled the numbers back up a tiny bit, but the rom-com block hour lead-in made little sense. Selfie’s pilot was chopped up for air. No one had high hopes for MLS. Selfie should be on Wednesday, MLS canned, and something more fitting put in at 8pm (7 Central) to go with SHIELD and Forever

7. I.R.E. says:

In Mindy, that Cliff guest character appearing last night was important, but not only that we want to see him feel more guilty by being misunderstood.

I hope Annette comes back for more recurring guest appearances because Beverly is still interested on meeting her as new good friends!

Yeah I agree with all of you that I don’t understand what happened to ABC last night?

8. DreamRose311 says:

Two poor comedy outings to make me miss Trophy Wife even more

9. Babybop says:

Do you think having the pilots available online before they aired is a reason the ratings were so low? Happy that Mindy gained though.

10. Rose says:

Two weak comedies didn’t help S.H.I.E.L.D., which is getting better with each episode. Last night’s was excellent in terms of plot and character development. I can’t wait for Agent Carter to give it the lead in it deserves.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, AGENT CARTER is replacing SHIELD during winter hiatus. Not leading into it.

• John NYC says:

S.H.I.E.L.D. needs to help S.H.I.E.L.D., it’s not all that hard to change a channel so a less than stellar previous show isn’t the issue: it’s S.H.I.E.L.D. and I bet the holdover for their putting the show on coast while the movie came out.

11. herman1959 says:

I’m still hanging in with Forever despite the ratings, and thank you ABC for not making Henry die last night (killing him every week would be a real turnoff – the show can’t afford it).

12. Angela says:

Really happy that Mindy gained. I almost never watch shows live, (I record with my DVR so I can fast forward through commercials) but I make it a point to park myself in front of the TV at 8:30 on Tuesdays for Mindy. I don’t know why more people aren’t watching this show! Sooo funny.

• S. says:

Yeah Mindy’s awesome and they live tweet so it’s fun to keep up with it while you watch live. There are other benefits. It took about 5 sec after the premiere before someone had a gif up of Danny’s strip tease/lap dance. Phfew! The primary reason for the Internetz, right there.

13. blackconvoy says:

ABC won’t cancel AoS. If it was any other show I would be worried. Disney owns SHIELD and the network it’s on, and Marvel is riding high right now. So I don’t see it going anywhere. I do think it would do better if it was on Wednesday though. Right now it’s going up against another NCIS show. In a few weeks, it will also be going up against The Flash.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

THE FLASH is airing at 8 o’clock.

• Moment says:

Wednesday is ABCs comedy night, and also a night it does extremely well. It won’t be moved there, if anything I think it could be moved back to 8pm. Selfie and Manhatten could end up pulled in the coming months if they don’t improve.

• Dj says:

It would be vs Supernatural. AoS is a decent show and it has gotten better since the Cap movie. But the mistake ABC made is putting it on at the same time as NCIS. This show would get more viewers at 10/9c. There are fewer prime time network options at that time. I dont think it would pull 10 million viewers there, but 7-8 could happen.

• Jane says:

I wish they hadn’t put it against Supernatural. Supernatural will always get my live watch and I don’t always get around to watching the DVR until the weekend.

• sydney says:

I always thought AoS would be a good lead in for Castle and then find something good for the 8 p.m. Mondays and movie DWTS to Tuesday.

14. ankga says:

yes..mindy ..thank you so much people who finally not dumb enough to realize that is good show.. far better that piece of s..t new girl!!

• Jason g says:

Mindy is low rated as they come. The reason it’s still on ? Minority show. I don’t find her funny at all. The show is forced upon its viewers. Gordon Ramsey has higher ratings and he has been doing the same shows for years!!! Go Gordon

15. Eric7740 says:

ABC has nothing to jump start its Tuesday line-up!!! I bet ABC is wishing it had DWTS: Results back on Tuesdays right about now…

16. Holly says:

I can see why Selfie was low. Every ad for it that I saw, you couldn’t tell what it was about. All I saw was a chick that seemed like she enjoyed selfies. Not my cup of tea.

• Jewels says:

Pretty much summed it up…yeah. It’s a shame because Karen Gillan is an amazing actress from England. I also love John Cho. But this “comedy” was more about…being cruel than being funny.

17. kd83954 says:

Wow, The Mindy Project is awfully close to doing better than New Girl…

18. Parks says:

I like Selfie, I didn’t at first but the chemistry is nice between Eliza and Henry. I hope it stays, although it does not look that good right now. Also, proud of The Mindy Project, been a fan since the beginning

19. Jason g says:

I mean seriously who wants to watch a show called selfie ? God if I was an executive i would of cut /cancelled all the above stupid shows. Selfie? Love story ? Shield ? Shield had it chance but it was too boring for too long. Hell I gave it 8 episodes. More stupid shows only watched by those who think they need to watch cuz it maybe the next big thing. Watch real shows like SOA, Vikings etc. real drama. Great acting. Not stupid no thought out shows like bad judge. Really? Really?

20. Brandon says:

Agents of Shield got a huge boost in the Live+3 ratings last week, so the news might not be as dire as it sounds.

21. B says:

Glad to see that Mindy gained at least a little. I actually thought Selfie had a bit of charm once it got into its premise, and thanks to its leads (nearly switched off after the first few minutes of annoying social media focus, yet later appreciated the inherent commentary on it); still, it seems like a limited idea — how long can they stretch out her transformation without it becoming ridiculous? I’ll watch Manhattan Love Story once more to see if it just had pilot problems, but I didn’t care for it.

22. Drew says:

Agents of SHIELD is doing pretty bad. It could have CW numbers by the end of the year. Personally, I blame the writing and poor production quality. This is not a weird fluke of random people not watching a great show.
    However, Agent Carter could still have a good year. They will be forced to think about the style of that series, which AoS has completely failed at.

To be a blunt Whedon follower, Agents of SHIELD might as well have “genuine molded plastic” stamped on its a$$.

23. Sally says:

The Selfie pilot has been all over the Internet for months so it’s not surprising nobody tuned in because they’ve already watched it! Hopefully the ratings will go up for the second episode

• Moment says:

Nice excuse, but as 20,000 households make up the Nielsen system the chance of most of these watching the pilot online are quite low.

24. Mike says:

I’m a little confused. Why is everyone trashing the numbers for the ABC sitcoms when the FOX ones are worse?

• Moment says:

These are season premiere numbers for ABC, while Mindy and New Girl are on their 3rd and 4th seasons respectively, you can’t compare. But if you want too, Mindy premiered to a 2.4, and New Girl a 4.8 during their first seasons.

25. Dani says:

I wish I didn’t start watching Forever. I came to like the show but now its likely to be cancelled. Sad face. :(

26. sarah31733 says:

Isn’t AofS up against Sons in the U.S? If so, I bet that would eat up a lot of ratings as people watch Sons live and DVR AofS. Just a question from Canada . . .

27. Katherine215 says:

So disappointed in ABC’s night! I enjoyed Selfie and MLS, and I adore Forever, so I hope they can rebound…Maybe the baseball playoff game hurt them (Shield and Forever, at least)? I know, I’m reaching. :(

28. Eric says:

Really bummed about ABC’s numbers last night. I enjoy three of the four series they aired last night, but they all got pretty mediocre ratings. As for the Fox comedies, I enjoy them both very much, and even though their numbers are bad, it’s Fox; standards probably aren’t so high there. As long as they remain consistent, there shouldn’t be a problem.

29. Dennis says:

Shield has really improved and people should give it another chance, Skye seems far less annoying this season the new guy is pretty good (for a slime ball merc) and the Fitz storyline is sad but interesting

30. Brigid says:

Wow, people are really into procedurals and singing competitions. I find this extremely disappointing. SHIELD and Forever should do better in the DVR playbacks.

• Misscar says:

SHIELD does ridiculously well with DVR playback. Last week it jumped from a 2.1 a 3.2. My hope is that those Nelson households that watched show on DVR don’t fast-forward through commercials so that the C+3 is decent.
      This sort of thing proves to me that network TV needs to change the way they do business. We live in a DVR/iTunes/on-demand society now. They need to figure out how to make money off the way people watch TV now not the way they did 15 years ago.

31. Joe says:

The days of lead in shows are over since the introduction of the remote control, you don’t have to get up to change the station Tues a tough night , with vets like Ncis And the voice ,with Sunday doing ok and Wednesday and Thursday doing good they ABC may give Forever a chance, The only reason why SHiEld is still on the hyped the hell outta the show last year and being Disney show helped ,Selfie, and Mls won’t last the month,New girl is around for syndication and I’m surprised Mindy is still on

32. M says:

On the title alone, Selfie = the new Cougar Town. Hope people will give it a chance despite the not-so-great title.

33. auntiemm says:

I was going to give Selfie a look based on the summer buzz; but after being bombarded by its ads on just about every site I’d hit yesterday, I passed. I despise ads that open with a site and won’t go away.

34. N says:

I will follow Forever,…Well, you know ;-)

35. Ashbash says:

The pilot episode for Selfie has been free on demand for over a month. I’m pretty sure that has to have something to do with it’s premiere ratings. I honestly don’t see the point in offering shows on demand before the premiere because it always screws with the numbers. Forever, Red Band Society, Mysteries of Laura all had their premieres offered on demand before it aired on TV and the ratings definitely were pretty low for those shows. I watched the Selfie premiere weeks ago and really liked the pilot but I also didn’t see the need to catch the premiere last night due to already watching it.

36. CMG says:

I’m no “retentionista” but I still think that S.H.I.E.L.D. would be best paired with a light action-adventure type show that skews slightly male, rather than female-skewing sitcoms. They need something similar in feel to the now canceled TNT show “Leverage,” or a televsion show equivalent of the “Uncharted” video games. Unfortunately, ABC doesn’t have anything like either on their schedule or their development slate, so I’m not sure what they do for this season.

37. Jess says:

I really hope Mindy can hang on viewer-wise. It deserves another season- and more episodes this season! Mindy and Danny are the best couple on television (in my humble opinion!).

38. Not a TV critic. says:

Since there was nothing else on, I watched the Selfie pilot. It may be the worst show I’ve ever seen in over 50 years of watching TV. Who puts this trash on TV?

39. christiasne says:

As utterly charming as Karen Gillan is nothing can salvage “Selfie”

40. HAP says:

Selfie and Manhattan Love Story have two things in common. They both have a cast of talented and engaging actors, and they both have terrible writing.

I hate the prospect of losing Karen Gillan from my TV, but she has an actual movie career going on.

• Moment says:

She’ll easily get attached to another pilot next year. Let’s just hope she isn’t in one that was doomed to fail from the start.

41. Anna says:

Sooo… I ask again – is it too late to get Trophy Wife back? I cannot believe ABC cancelled that really good comedy and replaced it with Selfie (although the pilot did have potential in the form of John Cho’s character) and that voice-over-romcom-show…

42. Maria says:

Shame, I was pleasantly surprised by these two shows.

43. John NYC says:

S. H. I. E. L. D. pulled fewer eyeballs than Selfie?

My Con friends heads will explode.

44. Moment says:

Do any of the TVLine staff know why so many ABC shows are getting a 2 tenth adjustment in the finals? It’s baffling to me. Last week quite a few shows got adjusted up 2 tenths and no one seems to know why.

45. abby says:

i actually found selfie to be really charming. (maybe whovian loyalty to karen?)

• S. says:

My Whovian and Trek loyalties will only go so far. I adore Karen and John Cho, but I just can’t. Selfie’s awful.

46. Debra says:

Unless it is a show that I really like and have to see it live, I DVR most of my shows and watch them later in the day when I have time. A lot of these shows could get a significant bump after DVR viewing is taken into account.

47. Joanne says:

I honestly don’t understand how AoS could have dropped! The show has come back stronger than ever and is really hitting it’s stride. I actually like Selfie…though wasn’t a huge fan of Manhattan Love Story. Hopefully the next day viewing numbers continue to drive up the AoS overall rating.

48. Gail says:

Direct TV changed the ABC channel and my DVR didn’t record AOS. That could’ve affected ratings

49. Maryann says:

I absolutely love Forever. It is my favorite show of the new season. I really, really hope it does well. As for SHIELD, it is a far better show than last season and I hope it makes the grade for renewal.

50. Alexandra says:

It’s weird that, when the consensus is that it’s bad to get the two leads together too early, they are making all these shows where it seems like the PREMISE is the two leads getting together. I watched both, actually found Manhattan Love Story slightly better than Selfie (though I like John Cho), but found both sort of derivative and predictable. I’d watch either if there’s nothing better, but there probably is.