Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, Walking Dead, The Mentalist, B99, Beast, Resurrection and More!

The Walking Dead Season 5 Spoilers

Is Once Upon a Time putting a twist on a triangle? Who on The Mentalist earned a promotion? Has The Walking Dead found sanctuary? Beast gains a brother? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

Can you give us any scoop on Once Upon a Time’s Regina, please? We need something to cheer us up! –Ana
Well, when I asked The Boys about the Regina/Robin Hood/Marian love triangle presumably on tap for Season 4, Adam Horowitz was quick to retort, “Who says we’re doing a love triangle?” He then explained, “Hopefully it becomes less about the relationship itself and more about Regina [and] open[s] the door to who she is and what she’s going to become.” (Anything further on the topic will have to wait for TVLine’s Fall Preview Spectacular, coming soon.)

Do you have any info on Belle’s mom on Once Upon a Time? –Natalie
Debuting in an Episode 6 flashback, Ma Belle Belle’s ma is described as “a strong-willed, spirited woman” who carries herself with grace and aplomb – even under the most trying circumstances. She’ll also boast a natural European accent, if casting has their druthers.

RELATED Once Upon a Time‘s Two Most Burning Frozen Qs Answered

Do you know if there will be a time jump in The Mentalist‘s Season 7 premiere? –aelisjane19th Annual Race To Erase MS -"Glam Rock To Erase MS" - Arrivals
Barely. I am hearing that Season 7 (premiering at “midseason”) picks up about two weeks after Jane smooched Lisbon all forrealz-like.

Do you have any scoop on The Mentalist? Anything at all? –Shena
When it rains, it pours. Hot off the presses, TVLine can report that Make It or Break It’s Josie Loren (pictured) has already been bumped up to series regular status, in the new Season 7 role of FBI rookie Michelle Vega.

What have you got on the next season of The Walking Dead? —Derek
I can exclusively reveal that the Season 5 premiere, airing Sunday, Oct. 12, is titled — drumroll, please — “No Sanctuary.”

RELATED Walking Dead Showrunner Addresses Daryl’s Sexuality, Confirms Gay Male Character Is On the Way

Do you have any new scoops for Beauty and the Beast fans? Maybe a return date? –zavier
For Season 3 – which has a premiere date of Sometime in 2015 – the resilient CW drama is casting the role of Tess’ older brother Jamie, an overbearing lawman on track to become his kin’s commanding officer. Big bro will bust JT’s chops some, bringing out an impressive new side to Tess’ beau.

Since you had such a wonderful time in Cincinnati, would you give me, a Cincinnatian, a Brooklyn Nine-Nine spoiler? – Lindsey
Prepare to meet the parents! Episode 6 of the sophomore comedy – now airing on Sunday nights, remember! – will introduce us to not only Gina’s “eccentric” and “offbeat” mother, Darlene, but also Boyle’s “very New York Italian” father, who is named… Lynn? (And yes, Cincinnati was awesome.)

Will we see Paige Turco on NCIS: New Orleans, or is she too busy with The 100? –Daniel
Thus far, the latter. Scott Bakula’s TV wife is discussed/alluded to in the very early episodes, but thus far has yet to put in a physical appearance. And if you know how I famously feel about TV’s erstwhile Melanie Cortlandt, so much is about the physical.

This may be outside of your wheelhouse, but I saw your Facebook comment about it: Do you think Jennifer Aniston was genuinely pissed about Jimmy Kimmel’s “surprise” Friends reunion? –Des
Oh, my wheelhouse is a fluid beast. We made a point to ask around, and an insider told TVLine that Aniston was very much “in on the joke and totally on board with it.” That said, I still question her “acting choices,” at least once Friends “Phoebe” and “Mon” walked in.

Any news on Resurrection‘s new season? –Sherryl
Asked to compare Season 2 to the show’s freshman run, series creator Aaron Zelman told me, “In Season 1, so much happens so quickly – it was eight or nine days – so it was very reactive. Whereas Season 2 is a bit more, ‘OK, this is the new reality — now how do we live with this? What does it mean that people can come back? And what does it mean that people who came back can disappear?’ What does it mean for doctors like Maggie to treat people who are terminal knowing maybe they’re not terminal? It throws everything on its head. You’re going to see a lot more characters dealing with that new reality.”

Now that NBC has shown Parenthood promos confirming that Amber is pregnant, do we know if Matt Lauria is returning as part of this storyline? – Ann
As previously scooped, Ryan will resurface in Episode 3– undoubtedly pleasing his portrayer. “I would absolutely love to return,” Lauria had told me while out promoting his DirecTV drama Kingdom (premiering Oct. 8). After all, he noted, the Amber/Ryan storyline “ended in an open way.” (I’ll say!) But maybe there’s a third party to worry about? Lauria’s Kingdom costar/fellow P’hood alum Jonathan Tucker playfully interjected with his theory that “Mayor Bob Little, now that a few years have passed, will be able to take back Amber” — and without a fight! Silly lad.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com

1. Thank you so much for The Mentalist news <3

• JoyAnne says:

Can’t wait to see how season 7 works out. Great cast. Sorry Emily is gone. Happy they kept Wylie He is fun. Interesting to see how they work the Jane/Lisbon romance into the stories. Sorry I’m not a fan of TV nicknames. e.g. jibson.

• JoyAnne says:

Did this comment go through. Sorry. Fingers did too much walking.

2. Lisa says:

I really hope OUAT Will avoid another love triangle.
    Marian is back, RH has a family again, they should move on and focuse on how Regina will deal with it.

• Zelda says:

Ever been in love? Coz in my experience it’s kinda hard to unfall in love with someone. R&R looked very much in love on Once Upon a Time to me. Not that simple. Thankfully.

• Jess says:

They were together for like a week. They’re not in love yet.

• Zelda says:

I’m not sure bout you, but I usually only begin romantic relationships with people I happen to have fallen in love with.

• Guest says:

Interesting considering biologically lust and relationships come WAY before love. I’d hate to be the person vying for your attentions.

• Kyle says:

Falling in love and loving someone are two different stages for many people, Guest. As far as I can tell Zelda was arguing that Robin Hood and Regina were in the earlier stage, the falling in love one. Which doesn’t make the situation any less difficult though since regardless of what you want to call it they obviously had feelings for one another that won’t just disappear.

• This is exactly how we fell in love, suddenly, is the Regina she never be with someone like Robin happy like a teenager if she not had totally and madly in love

• Bianca says:

ABC says different, as do both of the actors. ABC’s press release worded it as “falling madly in love”.

• Fi says:

Actually they are confirmed by Lana and Sean and abc itself

• Jennifer says:

Well, the same could be said for Robin and Marian.

• Lily says:

No, it cannot…. Robin Hood had put Marian’s memory to rest. She was his first love, but she is a remnant of his past.

• Regina and Robin are soulmates, it said in the show, she entrusted her heart to him and were/are so in love, it happened, Marian was dead, it will not be easy, the feelings of Robin and Regina will not simply disappear, what Robin feels for Marian he loved her but he changed, moved on and fell in love with another, besides I really think that when you find your soul mate this should be unique

• Fi says:

If only it were that simple though because Regina and robin have strong feelings for each other and that doesn’t just disappear so easily should be interestinv

• Fi says:

Can’t wait for the Regina and robin stuff

• prish says:

RH and Marian have a kid who is getting his mother back. What a mess if they keep RH in the show and tinker with all that.

• Neal and Emma had a son together, Milah and Rumple.
        Father and Mother is not the same as husband and wife, two persons who love each other should be together in any situation just so everyone is truly happy.
        It is very heavy for a child to be the reason that their parents are together she feels guilty (I lived it)
        Regina and Robin are soulmates it must be important

• Fi says:

So they should stay together just cos of Roland even tho robin is in love with someone else, doesn’t seem fair Marian or robin himself

• Fi says:

So they should stay together just cos of Roland even though robin is in love with someone else, not sure that’s fair on any of the parties involved

• Lily says:

The worst thing to do to Marian or Roland, would be for Robin to stay…. especially, if his heart belongs to another woman.

• Ceci says:

If they do, I’m out. Can’t stand those anymore.

3. Carly says:

Thanks for asking Adam and Eddy about the Regina and Robin story on OUAT, Matt. It’s odd how quiet they’ve been about that one compared to other upcoming stories. I like the idea of them not doing a triangle though and focus on Regina’s development sounds great too. But I hope we’ll get some of Robin’s POV in this messy new situation too.

4. Jo says:

Will Regina make better choices then what she did in the past is the question and understand what has happened then going off on one and playing victim.
    Basically Regina just had her EVIL act wiped away from the timeline, she was going to murder or had murdered his wife, i think its good thing its wiped then going oh no poor regina…. even Regina should be glad

• Cideric Rhyes says:

That is an assumption. It is possible that Marian was always supposed to be saved, that is was fate/Destiny. What was not suppose to happen was her traveling in time to Storybrooke.

5. As long as Regina and Robin are together in the end, I’m fine with this. But please there’s gonna be a triangle. That was the set up in the finale.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK, Mikey!

• Jo says:

I dont think so. Why coz its two gals and a guy. I think from build up its gonna be Robin and Regina, well thats what its been set up. I mean Robin is not the same man and moved on imo.
      ( Also i didnt think Emma had a love triangle (it was more about her issues and moving past that), when the set up was always Emma/Hook since the beanstalk, season 2 finale and the whole of season 3)

• Dark Defender says:

well.. if you take into consideration that in FTL Regina was responsible for Marian being absent from Robin (and presumed dead).. I think that would be a game changer.. I suspect no triagle at all and it’s all about Robin and Marian and their son. Regina will just now have no reason left to not be her awesome (and pure) evil self.

• Zelda says:

Doubt that’s the case, but even if it were true you’re forgetting about Henry. Who’s always been Regina’s main motivation to redeem herself.

• But Regina is no longer the woman who killed mercilessly and she changed Robin knows this new Regina, I think so she has to regret what you do and somehow pay, but Regina and Robin fell in love they are soulmates and hope this means they together

• Cas says:

Personally I would rather they not use this as an excuse to make Regina turn evil again either. I like her like this and we can have new villains every season.

• Fi says:

Oh gosh no ok more evil Regina the only time I want to see that is in flashback rather not have all her development flushed down the toilet

6. Zelda says:

Thanks for the OuaT and Walking Dead scoop. Excited for the new seasons.

7. Natalie says:

Thank you for answering the question about Belle’s mom! A European accent? Hmmmm….I wonder why when Belle and Maurice have an Australian accent. I would have loved Lucy Lawless for the role as I think she’s the right fit for the role! But an European accent…Maybe Belle’s mom is Morgan Le Fay of the Arthurian legends? It would be an interesting twist with the original Beauty and the Beast Story that says Belle’s mom was a fairy. “Le Fay” means Fairy…

8. ISecondThat says:

thank you for belle’s scoop. her ma is just like I imagined her. interesting.

9. Jared says:

Thanks for the BATB scoop. Excited to see how Tess’s brother fits in with the crew.

10. Aelis says:

Thanks a lot for the answer Matt:)

11. Et al says:

The creator of Resurrection can’t seriously think the first season moved too quickly. That show featured roughly 30 minutes of story across its first 8 hours.

12. angrylittleprincess69 says:

Thankyou for The Mentalist news!!

Please keep it coming this is a long hiatus and were desperate to know anything. Especially about the jisbon relationship.

13. sam says:

Poor Tess.

14. I NEED OUTLAWQUEEN TOGETHER SO MUCH

15. Ryan says:

I don’t think the words “so much happens

• Ryan says:

so quickly” can be applied to the show.

• Igluna says:

lol, I hope this doesn’t mean s2 will feel even slower. I know it isn’t fair to compare it to The Returned, but they should use more that shows style for inspiration, while still having their own unique view and story for the show, to set the two apart

16. K says:

Thank you so much for the new info on Belle’s mom. She sounds very much like her daughter. The “natural” European accent is interesting, considering that a) Belle and Moe have Australian accents; b) European accents vary a lot; c) it seems to rule out most of the people fans have been guessing (Lucy Lawless, Miranda Otto, Michelle Fairley).

17. Larry says:

Glad regina will not be tied to a simple love triangle for a basic storyline this season, and that her arc of redemption is really being kept and embraced, and this time emma and the others are gonna prob help her though. And I’m curios bout belle’s past, perhaps her mother is tied with maleficent?

• Halle says:

Its the media that labels it as a love triangle not the writers!!! Adam &Eddy did the same with Emma’s too (when really it was about her journey/issues to get past it. Also clearly the structure groundwork was laid for Emma and Hook to become more) Romance is a part of it but not overall.

• Kyle says:

And the only ones who seem to insist that the writers wanted CS all along and it was never a triangle situation are their fans. As someone who had no horse in the race as far as Emma goes I saw just as many signs for Emma and Neal build-up and could have seen them being the couple the writers worked towards until it became clear that Neal was about to get killed off too.

• K says:

I honestly don’t see how anyone could look at the VAST difference between how Emma/Neal/Hook was handled in SS2 and 3A and Emma/Hook in 3B and not see the sharp swerve the storytelling took. It’s pretty clear that the decision to ditch the triangle was literally made between one episode and the next.

• Jo says:

Again i ask what love triangle? I am pretty sure i saw a build of Emma/Hook moments, and more so Emma and her arc, mostly trying to come to terms with her feelings and issues concerning her past. On the whole it was about Emma. Just like here it will be about Regina…. only her romance is just a part of it like someone else just said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Annie says:

Thanks for the question about Belle’s mom! I can’t wait to get to know more of her!

19. Lena says:

Thanks for The Walking Dead spoiler. Love that show!

20. III Frogs says:

Thanks for the news about The Mentalist. We need everything you can give us!

21. Josh says:

Am I the only one who finds the Aniston comments a bit sexist? If this was Matthew Perry doing the same thing, would anyone have even brought that up? I’m guessing no.

22. El says:

Quick question please. Matt Webb Mitovich, when I looked you up on facebook, it looks as if you have a private profile, not one that can be followed by your general public. Do you have more then one account, or are you okay with people who want to follow you, requesting to be your friend? Thank you!

23. Barbara says:

Melanie Courtlandt, love it!

24. lorna says:

Resurrection was absolutely dreadful. I wish black box had been renewed instead.

25. Kirstylou says:

Thanks for the ouat scoop!!
    I’ve got a feeling that Marian will die, just because Hook said to Emma when she let her out of Regina’s prison something about if Marion was supposed to die then she pretty much has to. (In the scene when he’s breaking her out of prison)

26. Liz. B. says:

Sweet! Thanks for the spoilers on “The Mentalist,” Matt. I’ve been curious for a hit now as to when they would pick up again after that memorable (in a good way) moment. You always get the relevant stuff. Thanks again, Matt. :)

27. Cz says:

Cant stand Regina. And ppl overlooking her crap and going oh poor regina. More so cant stand Belle and her love for Rumplestilskin and her overlooking his crap!

28. Bonnie Maynes says:

I’m so glad for fresh information about the Mentalist. I can’t wait for season 7.

29. Broadwayfan says:

Once they gave in to the obvious, run of the mill, storyline that Jane and Lisbon ‘crossed the line’ to love I knew things are going downhill. I didn’t like last season at all.
    Truth be told, I was hoping it would be cancelled. I wanted to remember the show when it was exciting and fun.
    It’s not coming on until mid season….big clue right there. I love Kendall Cho, but I’m not sure I can even slog through episodes for him. This might be ‘good bye’ for me.

30. I can’t wait for Season 5 of The Walking Dead!! Thanks so much for the title finally.

31. Maryann says:

If this whole thing of Marian returning causes Regina to fall into another evil funk, that would be the one thing that could actually get me to stop watching the show. Let the poor woman move on in her character development already.

32. Ceci says:

Can’t wait for the return of BatB. Completely in love with this show, great action and the romance melts my screen

33. Sasha says:

Can’t wait the return of BatB, I am in love with this show and Vincat. Great action and the romance melts my screen

34. Patricia Korth says:

Thank you for the info on The Mentalist.
    Is it still your opinion that the show’s 7th season will just be used as filler? Is it certain that there will only be 13 episodes and that this is the final season of the show?
    We appreciate your efforts.