Ratings: Big Bang's Biggest Finale Ever, Idol Rises, Big Grey's Goodbye Gets Tiny Bump

Big Bang Theory Most Watched FinaleCBS’ The Big Bang Theory this Thursday night drew 16.7 million total viewers and a 4.9 demo rating, rising 13 and 29 percent week-to-week to deliver its most watched season finale ever.

Versus its previous closer (15.5 mil/4.8), Big Bang was up a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | The Big Bang Theory Season Finale Recap: Geek, Out?

The Millers‘ finale went on to deliver 9.9 million viewers and a 2.3 rating, up 10 and 22 percent. Leading out of Men repeat, Bad Teacher (5.5 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth, while Elementary‘s season ender (7.3 mil/1.4) slipped a tenth (and is off 19 and 30 percent from its freshman finale).

Elsewhere….

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy‘s season-ending send-off for Sandra Oh drew 8.9 mil and a 2.6, adding a few eyeballs plus a tenth in the demo; versus its previous finale, it was down 4 and 16 percent. (Season to date, ABC notes that Grey’s is up 10 and 5 percent, drawing its best numbers in four and three years, respectively.) Black Box (4.2 mil/1.1) dipped a tenth.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Season Finale Recap: The Goodbye Girl

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (4.8 mil/1.7) rose two tenths, while American Idol (8.6 mil/2.0) grew 19 and 25 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Top 3 Results Recap: Heeeee’s Running Out the Doo-ooo-ooo-oor!

NBC | The conclusion of Rosemary’s Baby did 3.3 mil and a 1.0, down 11 percent and a tenth from Sunday’s Part 1.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Finale Recap: Break On Through

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries finale (1.61 mil/0.8) was up a tenth versus last week but down 27 percent from its previous closer. Reign‘s finale (1.24 mil/0.4) slipped a tenth.

RELATED | Reign Season Finale Recap: Born To Die

1. Venkman007 says:

Not bad as far as finales go. Be interesting to see where this new arc takes Sheldon.
    Poor Amy. Not sure I’m diggin’ engaged Leonard and Penny; smells like a “Moonlighting” issue, but time will tell.

• David4 says:

It’s a sitcom, Sheldon will change very lithe when it comes back in the fall. But at this point any change will be welcome.

2. A says:

Okay let the Hate begin….

3. Coal says:

The juggernaut that is TBBT continues grow and to be seven seasons in and continue to produce those numbers is brilliant work. There was a time when Grey’s use to be one of the funniest shows on TV even with its seriousness, the humor is gone from that show. That’s the only things I watch from Thursday.

4. greysfan says:

Greys was great last night and i have a bad feeling about the move to 8pm next season. If it gets a 2.5 against practically nothing for Cristina’s goodbye episode then how is it going to fare in the 8pm death slot next season. I really hope it does above 2 because that would be bad if it didn’t and ABC you will pay. Grey’s is still a very strong drama and to be on the air so long proves that. Personally because of how bad Revenge was doing on Sundays i would have put it at 8pm Thursday as it would probably be its final season anyway. Its also going to suck to have Big Bang and Grey’s in the one slot while The Blacklist and Scandal in the next. Why do tv networks do this to us!!!

• Marianne says:

The only reason that slot for ABC has been the death slot is because nothing was able to gain an audience. Ugly Betty was there for 3 seasons before it got moved to Wednesday nights. Grey’s has an audience, which is probably why they put it there. if nobody was really watching the 8pnm shows to begin with, it has been able to keep up without a strong lead in.

5. tstephen51 says:

I like TBBT but am I the only one who found the finale boring?

• Carm says:

I didn’t find a lot of the Sheldon or Raj stuff funny. But did laugh at the Howard’s mom stuff. Especially the end with Stuart.

• Coal says:

Personally I find a lot of the Raj and Sheldon funny while I don’t find any of the Howard’s mom stuff funny.

6. DavidSask says:

Did ANYONE think that Black Box was not going to be DOA?

• Apples says:

Black Box is a summer show that got moved up a few weeks thanks to Scandal’s shortened season (Washington’s pregnancy). I bet not even ABC had any expectations for it.
      I think it’s terrible but the numbers are essentially meaningless.

7. Gerald says:

Lots of death on the CW last night. Crazy. Shame the ratings are not better. I enjoyed TVD and Reign a lot. BBT was really good. Rosemary’s Baby was a real let down. (But still love Mike Ross.)

8. Pat says:

TBBT season finale, was good. I thought Howard and Bernadette were funny as ever. Now to Sheldon, one big question that is on my mind and that is “WHAT THE HECK DID SHELDON’S MOTHER DO TO HIM?” The way he acts as an adult and I use the word adult very carefully, must have something to do with his childhood. Also, Leonard’s Mother is a piece of work. Yes, this is a comedy but since her character has been introduced, she seems so critical of her son and the way she spoke and treated him about his engagement was terrible. So she speaks to Sheldon all the time, but rarely speaks to her son. Amy needs to walk away from Sheldon before he hurts her anymore then he has. When will she wake up? Yes it is funny to see some of the things that have gone on between them and I thought there was a slow breakthrough with them back in February but after last night and what he was saying to her, she needs to move on. Poor Stuart, losing his shop to a fire. Talk about someone with bad luck, when will this guy catch a break with some good luck? I do not count taking care of Howard’s Mother as good luck. I hope next season they will resolve some of these characters and their problems.

• Stormy says:

I agree Amy should leave Sheldon, but only because I want her gone for any and all reasons. IMO she’d agree to a relationship with a leper, she’s that needy.

• Dee says:

Yeah, I really dislike her character as well. She is pathetically needy and just weird. At least they toned down that bizarre fixation she had on Penny.

• John NYC says:

Not his mother so much as the circumstances of his life as a genius child prodigy. “Sheldon entered college at the age of eleven,[15][16] and at age fourteen he graduated from college summa cum laude. From then he worked on his doctorate, was a visiting professor at the University of Heidelberg in Germany, and was the youngest person at the time to receive the Stevenson Award.[2] Sheldon is now a theoretical physicist doing research at Caltech.” From TBBT wiki

9. Ron says:

As much as I dislike TBBT and think it doesn’t even begin to represent true geek culture (if that’s what you want in a sitcom, look to The I.T. Crowd or Spaced or Community), and as much as I also think it’s mindless drivel, I have to commend them on those numbers. Not many shows can pull in those numbers in viewers and demo so far into their run. So, even though I don’t get the people who watch it, I congratulate them on the success. And I generally like the actors on that show as people, so good on them for being on such a successful show and having a job for at least a few more years.