Ratings: Parenthood and Scandal Slip, Community Hits Low, Surviving Jack Ticks Down

Parenthood Julia Evan SexAfter scoring a six-month demo high a week ago, NBC’s beloved bubble drama Parenthood this Thursday drew 3.8 million total viewers and a 1.1 rating (per finals), slipping 14 percent and two tenths.

Opening the Peacock’s night, Community (2.5 mil/0.9) fell 24 percent and two tenths (to a series low), Parks and Recreation (2.6 mil/1.1) was down 16 percent and a tenth and Hollywood Game Night (3.1 mil/1.1) rose a tenth.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Community, Parenthood and 26 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

Elsewhere….

CBS | The Big Bang Theory (17.4 mil/4.9) and bubble comedy The Crazy Ones (6.5 mil/1.8) were flat, Elementary (7.8 mil/1.5) dipped two tenths, Two and a Half Men (9.4 mil/2.5) rose a tenth, while The Millers (11.4 mil/2.9) surged 17 percent in the demo.

ABC | Once Upon a Time in Wonderland‘s series finale — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B+” — did 3.2 mil and a 0.9, down a tenth week-to-week. Grey’s Anatomy (8 mil/2.7) inched up a tenth, while Scandal 8.8 mil/(2.9) fell two tenths.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for the Wonderland Finale, Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (4.9 mil/1.8) was down 9 percent and a tenth, American Idol (7.7 mil/1.7) dipped two tenths and Surviving Jack (4.5 mil/1.2) slipped 13 percent and a tenth from its premiere.

RELATED | American Idol Top 8 Results Recap: What Did You Think of Tonight’s Outcome?

1. Adam says:

Both Community & Parks were hysterical last night. They are having their best seasons. So disappointed/sad that they fell.

• gdv says:

That was probably one of Community’s most brilliant episodes. SOOOO funny! Parks was also delightful last nigh, though it always is.

2. Mark says:

I enjoy the TBBT but if I want to watch a half hour advert on gaming counsels I’ll watch the shopping channel, talk about product whoring.

• Boiler says:

Personally I have no problem with this if the companies paid handsomely for it. Pays the higher salaries and hopefully fewer commercials

• MP says:

I liked this episode. One thing I miss about the earlier seasons is the “geek speak” and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way. I like the tech talk and physics talk and astronomy talk and I feel that the show has gotten away from that the past few years. Sheldon’s gaming dilemma made me laugh and I’m with Bernadette, I like the Wii, too.

3. Eric7740 says:

Scandal was amazing!!! Only 2 episodes left!!! Surviving Jack was hilarious!!! Crazy Ones was great, as always, truly this season’s most under-appreciated comedy!!!

4. sarah says:

OMG! Parenthood was good! With these numbers I am afraid it spells doom for renewal, I hope that it was just a fluke and the last 2 episodes will do better.
    It seems like lots of other shows slipped too.
    I am happy that Crazy Ones rose at least! :)

5. Eric says:

Sad for Community and Parenthood, but I’m still holding out hope for their renewals until I hear otherwise. Hopefully The Crazy Ones and Surviving Jack can eke out second seasons as well.

6. Tessa says:

I know where I live in the midwest NBC shows weren’t shown because of the storms coming through and the weathermen needing to be on. I’m going to use that as an excuse for the lower ratings.

• Exactly what I am thinking. Numbers are down all over and I know that the weather must have played a role in this.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, there could be greater-than-usual adjustments when the final numbers trickle in this evening.

• Ugh, I haaaaaaaaaaate overzealous, self-important weather reports that intrude onto network programming. It’s like, they’re so eager to be on TV that they’ll use any excuse to interrupt people’s favorite shows, thinking it’ll lead to bigger things or an award or something. Hello, TV viewers! It’s raining! And it’s gonna keep raining! Be careful when you drive! Repeat x50.

• Um. There were tornado warnings. I’m okay with shows being delayed for severe weather. What may seem self important to you might be life saving to others.

• From where I live, it is just rain. Period. Rain. Watch out for the rain. And anyway, what good is a tornado warning on TV? They often form and strike faster than people are able to react. And that’s what the Emergency Broadcast System is for, not for some meteorologist to show some animated map graphics.

• Angela says:

Well, seeing actual radar images of where the storms are at the moment helps me when it comes to that kind of weather. If we’ve got tornado warnings in the area where I live, I want to know where exactly the storm is, and sometimes visuals help in that regard. Like you said, tornadoes can spin up out of nowhere, yes, but still, it never hurts to have that stuff available just in case.
            And of course, there’s also the fact that not everyone has good hearing, or might be totally deaf. So putting the tornado warnings on TV in visual form would be good for the hearing-impaired, at the very least.
            In your area, it might’ve just been rain. But in other areas, it wasn’t, and considering the spat of particularly deadly tornado outbreaks in the southern U.S. in recent years, people are probably going to be even more alert about that stuff than normal. People’s TV shows can wait in those instances-better safe than sorry.

• Angela, the EBS is capable of interrupting every feed with audio AND visual data. They can overlay a text crawl and graphics on the screen. In fact, the local stations do that here on top of Mr. Weatherman’s 15 minutes. Whenever there’s rain, there’s a big animated map graphic on the screen with info about what areas are being hit. To me, it just looks like a bunch of colored shapes and a list of towns at least 200 miles away. Useless and intrusive. I don’t know if any of this stuff has actually been useful to you, but I feel like this is some kind of News Team Fever that happens across country. I remember about 20 years ago when JFK Jr.’s plane crashed and the KRON 4 news team just happened to have a helicopter near the ocean. So, they switched off the NBC feed and showed footage of black ocean at night for maybe 4 hours. They did nothing but speculate while occasionally spouting off factoid trivia. Makes the OJ “chase” seem riveting. None of the other stations interrupted their programming that night for impromptu investigative journalism (if you can call it that). I’m all for being helpful for people if something is actually effective at helping people, but this News Team Fever needs to die once and for all. There’s a reason why Anchorman takes place in the 70s.

7. GuessWhat says:

Told you not to get too comfortable with Community’s rise in the weeks there was no new BBT and only NCAA basketball. Now things are back to normal. And normal is Community continuing its slide into oblivion. NEW LOW. Put a fork in it, it’s done.

8. tv2day says:

The TV ratings system is outdated. Most working people watch off the dvr at their leisure or after the live sporting event ala spurs/thunder last night. I for one have not watched a TV show live since the advent of the dvr.

9. Elyse says:

I thought it was a great episode of Parenthood. Can’t wait for next week :)

10. leigh says:

Surviving Jack is a funny show. Brought tears to my eyes.

• Kim R says:

My husband and I have watched both episodes and it is quirky and really makes us laugh out loud. I hope they stick with it and give it a chance.

11. Titina says:

Idol seems to be dead. Sads…

12. Babybop says:

Still hoping for a Community renewal… Though I may be kidding myself.

13. Ron says:

So so sad that Community fell, but I know a couple people who couldn’t watch in because it was preempted by local news weather coverage. Maybe that had something to do with it??? Regardless, it was a rather smart episode and I loved it. I’m still holding out hope for a Community renewal. Will it happen? Who the hell knows, but what I do know is that NBC has no good comedy either currently or in the wings to replace Community’s slot. So they might as well give the fans 1 more season and give themselves a little more time to figure out a good replacement. It’s better to have a critical hit and fan fave for one more season than a dud of a comedy that will be cancelled after a few episodes.

14. HAP says:

Just perhaps to its own detriment, Parenthood is probably the richly textured, most complex and adult shows on TV. It would be a shame if they don’t renew it.

I have no actual knowledge, but is it possible that given its large cast of known actors, that it is an expensive show to make?

15. DavidSask says:

NBC needs to get rid of all their under performing shows, which is most of their schedule!!