Critics' Choice Awards: Big Bang Theory, Orphan Black Star and Breaking Bad Win Big -- Plus: Kudos for Southland, Parenthood Faves

Critics Choice Award WinnersThe Broadcast Television Journalists Association’s third annual Critics’ Choice Awards were held Monday night in Beverly Hills, and The Big Bang Theory made the biggest bang, winning in three categories — including Best Comedy.

RELATED | Emmys 2013: The Drama Series Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Also among the multiple winners were FX’s American Horror Story: Asylum, AMC’s Breaking Bad and HBO’s Behind the Candelabra, each of which topped two categories.

And then you have the downright crowd-pleasers, as Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany was named Best Actress in a Drama, while Southland‘s Michael Cudlitz and Parenthood‘s Monica Potter won in the supporting races.

Here’s the complete list of winners, as they were announced:

Best Talk Show | The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy | Kaley Cuoco (Big Bang Theory), Eden Sher (The Middle) — TIE

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series | Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory)

Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series | Patton Oswalt (Parks and Recreation)

Best Comedy Series | The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

RELATED | Emmys 2013: The Comedy Actress Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Best Reality Series | Duck Dynasty (A&E), Push Girls (Sundance) — TIE

Best Reality Series – Competition | The Voice (NBC)

Best Reality Show Host | Tom Bergeron (Dancing With the Stars)

Best Animated Series | Archer (FX)

Best Supporting Actor in a Movie/Miniseries | Zachary Quinto (American Horror Story: Asylum)

Best Supporting Actress in a Movie/Miniseries | Sarah Paulson (American Horror Story: Asylum)

Best Movie/Miniseries Behind the Candelabra (HBO)

RELATED | Emmys 2013: The Comedy Series Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series | Michael Cudlitz (Southland)

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series | Monica Potter (Parenthood)

Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series | Jane Fonda (The Newsroom)

Best Drama Series | Game of Thrones (HBO), Breaking Bad (AMC)

Best Actress in a Movie/Miniseries | Elisabeth Moss (Top of the Lake)

Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries | Michael Douglas (Behind the Candelabra)

RELATED | Emmys 2013: The Comedy Actor Race in Review, Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

Best Actress in a Comedy Series | Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)

Best Actor in a Comedy Series | Louis CK (Louie)

Best Actress in a Drama Series | Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black)

Best Actor in a Drama Series | Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)

Icon Award | Bob Newhart

Best TV Moment (voted by fans) | Michael Scott’s return to The Office

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association also released its list of “Most Exciting New Series”: FX’s The Bridge, Showtime’s Masters of Sex, ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., NBC’s The Michael J. Fox Show, Showtime’s Ray Donovan and CBS’ Under the Dome.

1. Jenna says:

Omg. Eden Sher! So happy for her! The awesomeness of Sue.

• Ivet says:

As soon as I saw her win (well tie for a win) I was so excited, I’m glad she got recognized, she is awesome as Sue.

• Kiwi says:

Also, it does seem somewhat character appropriate that Sue Heck achieved a tie, rather than an outright win… ;)

• OMED-Josh says:

Got a little hasty with the “Post” button there…

I was going to say that I could see this as a plot from The Middle. Sue wins an award, but then it turns out she actually tied… with the pretty blonde girl who everyone pays attention to. Frankie tries to console her, but Sue is over the moon with excitement, and doesn’t realize she’s been slighted. Meanwhile Mike thinks the concept of tying is stupid.

• tara17 says:

Thrilled to see Eden Sher recognized for her work as Sue Heck.

• Mikael says:

It’s nice to see Eden Sher finally get some recognition. The Middle is a great show that is sadly overlooked. I also like Big Bang and think people hate on it way too much.

2. John says:

why is Kaley supporting actress when she’s the lead actress on the show?

• wordsmith says:

With some ensemble shows, everybody submits as supporting. Modern Family has been doing it that way for years.

• Lauren says:

It could be basic strategy. I think Kaley is great on that show but can you see her getting a nod in a lead actress field that is crowded with heavy-hitters and veterans (Tina Fey, Amy Poheler, Julie Louis-Dryfus, etc.)? She’s probably encouraged to enter the supporting actress category because it’s a little less crowded.

• Snsetblaze says:

Also, if you think about it, her time has been reduced on the series. When she was the only female, she was the lead. But the addition of Bernadette and Amy (and Lucy/Stewart) has reduced her time. Simon Helberg’s scenes have increased.

3. King says:

Kaley!!! Congrats!

4. forwarddad says:

Yay Sue

5. forwarddad says:

Enough with the popups.

• Bob says:

Get Firefox or Chrome and download Adblock Plus. You’ll never see a pop-up unless you want to see them. Or advertising, for that matter. I don’t know what a Facebook ad looks like because I had the plug-in before joining. It’s wonderful.

6. a says:

But since when do critics like The Big Bang Theory?

• Exactly what I was thinking. Simon Helberg isnt a surprise as I see everywhere critics raving about him and how he is always overlooked, but the shows TBBT beat out are ones critics rave about so this is very confusing! Or are critics now bending the awards to please the masses?

7. Erin says:

While I definitely think TBBT cops more flack than it deserves (the show IS genuinely funny), how on earth is it winning these awards over the far superior competition?

• Eli says:

Because its one of the best comedies on TV

• Hugh says:

If you like obvious, formulaic humour sure. Seems a bit outrageous to me that critics have voted it better than Parks and Rec for example. I don’t understand, I thought the point of the critics choice was to reward comedies that don’t get their due plaudits from the mass audience.

• jj says:

no, the point is to reward the shows that the critics like regardless of how well the shows are received by the audiences and other award shows. Would be pretty odd if they limited themselves to shows nobody watches or doesn’t win any awards elsewhere.

• lyn says:

Obvious and formulaic? Sure, but on Thursday evening, much of America is tired and looks forward to something comfortable and effortless to just make them feel good. To quote Raj quoting Martha “It’s a good thing”.

8. harry says:

Im rooting for Tatiana Maslany! She’s amazing in Oprhan Black!

• Saint Alicia says:

So happy she won! She deserves it and hopefully this improves her chances at an Emmy nom.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, her performance is really on a completely different scale than anyone else in the biz these days. A lot of really great actresses deliver a moving, nuanced performance on their respective shows, but week after week, Tatiana gives us FOUR of them.

• Deb Brown says:

Exciting. It is like the little show that could and Ms Maslany is the reason it keeps chugging along. Great performance all season long.

• Maggie says:

If Orphan Black had cast a less talented actress, the show would be a disaster. Ms. Maslany is what makes the show work.

9. Dave says:

Sorry, but anyone who thinks Big Bang Theory is higher quality than Parks and Recreation has absolute garbage taste. What a joke.

• culture kid says:

Gee, Dave, take a cold shower!

• Jerri says:

Parks and Recreation? Really? Well to each his own opinion I guess…

• Mazz says:

Yes. Parks and Recreation is smart, funny, and oftentimes heartfelt, anchored by fantastic performances by its entire cast, especially Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman. IMO it has consistently been the best comedy on TV since its second season.

• lydiakj says:

Totally agree! Very well said.

• Kira says:

I absolutely agree!!! I watched the first 4 seasons in about a week lol I was hooked by the season 2 finale

• cas says:

Funny it took you until season 2 to get hooked. I was hooked on TBBT from season 1. I tried to watch a few episodes of Parks and Rec because I have heard it is great, but I was a little bored. People must agree since the ratings aren’t that great.

• Ann says:

I agree with Cas. While I love Parks and Rec, it took a while for me to get onboard with the show. I only stuck with it as long as I did because of Amy Poehler. Meanwhile, Big Bang Theory had me after the first episode I watched. These are two different types of comedies. Both equally good for their target audiences. BBT just has a wider audience. Parks and Rec is narrow, but just as great. BBT is a more traditional comedy, along the lines of Friends. From the snappy intro theme song to a show about a group of friends… It’s nice for the Critics to finally recognize BBT though, because I remember critics really hated it when it began, but it has gotten better creatively over the years and has been steadily gaining viewers as well. They deserve some recognition. Afterall, it is the number one rated comedy series now.

• lyn says:

I tried watching P&R, but couldn’t warm up to the cast. I had the same experience with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Megan Mullally. I don’t disparage their talent, I just don’t like them.

• Eli says:

Parks and rec is overrated

• Ruby says:

I got through half of the pilot before I got irritated and turned it off and never went back.

• Pam says:

So is the importance of your opinion.

• rmcepp says:

To bad about Walton Goggins, he is a revelation on Justified, but I am so glad about Michael Cudlitz. He is wonderful on Southland, one of my favorite TV shows ever. What about Longmire, will that show ever get any recognition? Although my favorite show currently is Fashion Police, I love Joan Rivers. Scandal is my favorite network show. But cable is really rocking these days.

• LOL says:

American critics award mediocrity. Shocker.

• TV Gord says:

Parks and Recreation is just like The Office was for me: great casts, but painfully unfunny. I just can’t sit through an entire episode. I can see what’s supposed to be funny, but it just isn’t for me. People have different tastes, and I understand that you may like it, but that doesn’t mean everyone does.

10. Jared says:

Cat Deely and SYTYCD the show are continually robbed from every award show. It’s ridiculous.

• Reba says:

Agreed!! Cat deserves the hosting awards far more than any of the others that always win! She’s amazing! And SYTYCD deserves to win as well. There’s so much talent on that show and it never gets the recognition it deserves.

I’m so glad to see Monica Potter win for Parenthood! She was absolutely amazing this last season, made me cry at every episode!

11. Eliza says:

I loved Patton Oswalt on Parks & Rec. I also loved his appearance on Burn Notice. He is awesome.

• Mark says:

He’s great in “Justified”, as well.

• Cassie says:

Agreed, he should have gotten a reward for that over Parks and Rec and certainly over Jane Fonda who won in the guest star in a drama. He was so great in the Decoy episode, taking a beating and never giving out Raylan’s location.

• The Beach says:

I agree. Patton has been terrific on Justified and that beat-down scene alone should have sealed the deal. Jane Fonda is hardly ever on Newsroom and when she is it’s nothing extraordinary.

• Snsetblaze says:

I thought his Burn Notice appearance blew his Parks appearance out of the water but I did not see the other one.

12. Babybop says:

Happy for BBT and Eden Sher!! I’m glad BBT is getting some recognition, it’s one of my favorites! (but of course, I always root for Parks and Rec).

13. Mike R. says:

BBT shouldn’t be best anything, but congrats anyway.

14. JakeK says:

Finally some, any, recognition for The Middle (Eden Sher) and wins other than best lead actor for The Big Bang Theory. Middle robbed all the time. Big Bang gets too much hate. Both comedies are funny and genuine.

• JBC says:

These are two really funny shows. The only two sitcoms that I watch. The Cast on both of these shows really work.

• Ellen says:

I love both The Middle and The Big Bang Theory and am glad they each got some love, though I think Cuono is weakest actress on the show, with both Bialik and Rauch being better than her, but Helberg has gotten better throughout the show’s run. I’m so glad that Sue Heck got some recognition finally, that show has always been overlooked and it’s the best show on TV.

15. brycealexander says:

Guys that may have looked like Retta but tumblr confirms that it was actually Tatiana Maslany so you need to edit the story. I know, it surprised me too! She’s just really good!

16. Elizabeth says:

SOOOOO happy for Monica Potter! Finally some recognition for the underrated Parenthood

• Maggie says:

Love Parenthood and Monica was amazing this season. More people should be watching this well written, well acted, quality show.

• Sasha says:

I agree with both of you! This season was hands down the best! So glad she is starting to get recognition and the show, too. And thrilled it will be back for a full season!

• Jasmine says:

YES, YES, YES! The entire cast of PARENTHOOD deserves recognition, but Monica Potter was GREAT last season and the seasons before. This show is so good, they really click!!!! In good times and in bad, there is always something to cheer about and cry about in the same episode. I totally love this family. When fans love the stories so much they want to be a member of the Braverman family, the writers are doing a good job! Congrats to Monica, everyone at Parenthood, and to the loyal fans who see this victory for Monica like a win for a family member.

17. Rachel says:

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series | Michael Cudlitz (Southland) = sooooooo happy.

18. schu says:

Monica FREAKING Potter FINALLY wins something and the second she gets on stage my live stream cuts to an ad! Ahhhh! Anyways, hope these are posted on youtube or something, but super crazy congrats to Monica for her portrayal of Kristina Braverman! Best cast on television!

19. Raver says:

Woohoo for GoT!!

Also happy for Zachary Quinto and Sara Paulson from AHS:Assylum! Very deserving win!

20. Mike R. says:

OMG, if there was ever going to be a tie, this is the most perfect tie ever!!!!!! I’m fangirling over the fact that both GOT and BB won best drama series, both of them deserved it.

21. DavidSask says:

This show is so painful to watch and so unprofessional, no way would it ever make it on network TV, as for the nominees and winners its a mixed bag!

22. Em says:

Tatiana Maslany….and all is now right with the world!

23. Sara says:

Tatiana Maslany won for Orphan Black?! That is AMAZING!!!! I am so excited! She is absolutely brilliant on that show!

24. Leah says:

Wow. I think I just pulled my sarcasm muscle with all my nasty comments about BBT winning.

25. courtland says:

Holy f tatiana maslany won! Wooo! Best new show on tv is orphan black..soo deserved…

26. Edith says:

Well, The Americans was robbed. But its day will come.

27. cjeffery7 says:

i KNEW tatiana was gonna win, and i KNEW i was gonna miss it on the live stream cause i had to go pick up my dad from the airport. WHY IS LIFE SO UNFAIR lol. so many things to celebrate – this is my kind of award show.

kaley cuoco, eden sher, simon helberg, TBBT, monica potter, jane fonda, and of course tatiana maslany. WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!? all the good things!!

28. Sam says:

Ok people you realize this is one group’s opinion no reason to get upset if your show doesn’t win.

29. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m having a hard time getting excited about most of the winners. It’s not as much fun as it was last year. I think the only ones here I can get excited about are Louie C.K., Eden Sher (who I was really rooting for), Michael Cudlitz (I was rooting for Walton Goggins, but I’ll take Cudlitz!), and I’m a little excited for Breaking Bad winning, but kinda bummed for Homeland losing. I suppose Cranston probably also deserves it, but I have to admit I was rooting for Damian Lewis or Timothy Olyphant there. Julia-Louis Dreyfus is an okay win. Not my first choice, but I’ll take it. I know I’m going to take crap for saying this, but I was really hoping for a Lena Dunham win.
    TBBT beating out Louie for best comedy made me ill. Louie is much better written and a lot more daring in the rules it’s willing to break. I know this is becoming cliche to say, but Louie really truly is groundbreaking comedy. And while I love Patton Oswalt dearly and find him hilarious, I think there were a few more deserving winners there; namely, David Lynch, Melissa Leo, and Bob Newhart. I also thought Jane Fonda was fine on The Newsroom, but I was really hoping Jim Beaver would get that one.
    As for acceptance speeches, I think Monica Potter and Bryan Cranston had the best ones.
    I’m still way confused about Small Town Security being in the reality series category. No way that show is real. Have I been duped on that? Are those seriously real people?
    I watched you present, Ausiello, and I was waving like mad at you through my computer monitor. But…you probably didn’t see me.

• Anna says:

Breaking Bad never wins Best Series, despite deserving it, and it’s been on the air since 2007. Homeland is brand new and it’s already won twice. Be happy for Breaking Bad.

30. Candice says:

I’m so happy for Tatiana Maslany. She gave the best performance of the season. I kept forgetting that the clones were played by the same person. Brilliant performance.

31. Mark says:

Tatiana Maslany definitely deserved that win. She’s amazing in “Orphan Black”.

32. Mindy says:

Really thrilled for Michael Cudlitz. He gave such an amazing performance on “Southland”. Nice to see him recognized like this.

33. ABC says:

LMFAO. Big Bang Theory? What an overrate piece of crap. Good thing this awards don’t influence the Emmys.

34. lesley says:

Why never any love for Justified? It’s starting to get ridiculous. It’s one of the most well-written and acted shows on TV but the only award I can recall is Margo Martindale’s guest spot.

• amycorvus says:

Agreed! Walt Goggins for all the awards!

• Fran says:

I agree that Timothy Oliphant and Walt Goggins should have won by now. Margo deserved her win though and Jeremy Davies actually won for Dickie as well (also deserved).

• amycorvus says:

I always forget Davies win (I think everybody else did too, more’s the pity). Goggins’ delivery floors me every time, he just chews through those scripts- absolutely flawless!

35. Cory says:

I agree with a few of the choices but damn most of the winners were awful choices IMO particularly TBBT it’s okay but best comedy? Come on. Did CBS sponsor these awards??

36. Adam says:

I’m really happy to see Archer get the win! I normally can’t find myself getting into animated television shows, but for me that show is one of my all-time favorites and would be at the top of my best comedies list including live-action.

It’s Arrested Development meets The Office meets James Bond parodies meets raunchy animated comedy stylings. What’s not to love?

37. Alex says:

Is there somewhere we can see videos of the speeches? I wasn’t home and was unable to watch live… Monica Potter’s and Tatiana Maslany’s in particular. Any links would be much appreciated!

38. mark says:

Yay Tatiana! So talented and nice!

39. Miranda says:

What a fantastic list of winners! Yay critics, showing the Emmys what’s what.

40. Daniel Morrison says:

Reblogged this on MADE STATIC.

41. Babygate says:

Eden Sher and Tatiana Maslany won!!! Beyond happy!! I normally don’t care about award shows but Dang it! these two deserve to be recognized for their outstanding work.

42. Parker says:

no love for Parks and Rec again?

43. Arien says:

Who are these so called critics? On what basis can they give Kaley Cuoco an award for acting? She doin an ok job with her character, but she is not an outstanding actress and this season of TBBT is soo overrated.

Love that Monica Potter got some recognition. Parenthood is not faultfree either, but she played her part very well.

On another note: why is Girls still considered a comedy?

44. Susanna says:

After reviewing the awards, it is obviously a very biased or slanted “critics” award and not what the American people prefer watching. Oh well!

• Miranda says:

Shocking! An awards show called the Critics’ Choice Awards that awards… the critics’ choice! The American people have been robbed.

• jj says:

haha best comment! Susanna seems to have mistaken the critics’ choice awards with the people’s choice awards.

45. I wouldn’t be to worried and too happy about this critics television choice awards,remember what won best comedy series last year?”Community!”

46. Emily says:

And of course J Carpenter is overlooked again. Boo!

47. CW says:

Monica Potter and Eden Sher, both so deserving. This recognition was a time coming for both. Congratulations!

48. Gregory says:

I forced myself to watch “Top of the Lake” because I love “The Piano”, and it proved to be an act of endurance. Elizabeth Moss was the weakest nominee in that category. I hope Laura Linney rightfully beats her at the Emmys. Also disappointed that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau didn’t win, but snubbing the cast of GOT is apparently a universal theme with awards.

49. Doctor Who says:

Orphan Black gets a win, but nothing for Doctor Who?