JERRIKA HINTON Leaves Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy Creator Shonda Rhimes 'Sad to See [Spoiler] Leave'

The following story contains spoilers from Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy finale — proceed at your own peril.

Grey’s Anatomy has had its fair share of rocky exits over the past 13 years. But Jerrika Hinton‘s departure falls into a different, far more amicable category.

The actress — who made her final appearance as a series regular in Thursday’s Season 13 finale (read recap here) — asked to be released from her contract after landing a starring role in Alan Ball’s new HBO drama series Here, Now. And series creator Shonda Rhimes approved the request.

“Actors evolve differently and when an actor like Jerrika comes to me and says she wants to try something new creatively, I like to honor that,” Rhimes says in a statement. “Jerrika has shared so much of herself with Stephanie and I am incredibly proud of the journey we’ve taken together. While I’m sad to see Stephanie leave Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, I am excited to see what’s next for Jerrika.”

Ball’s tragicomic new drama follows the Bishops, a multi-racial family made up of a philosophy professor father (Tim Robbins), his lawyer wife (played by Holly Hunter), their three adopted children from Somalia, Vietnam and Colombia, and their sole biological child.

Hinton will play Ashley, one of the adopted children who is now the powerhouse behind an online fashion shopping site. Ashley was was born in America to Somalian refugees, and was adopted by the Bishops when her mother died and her father was deported. Ashley is beginning to struggle with her cultural identity.

1. Matt C. says:

That was a beautiful send-off for Steph and for Jerrika Hinton. I’m so glad Shonda opted to keep her alive, even after such a crazy disaster that very easily (and predictably) could have ended in her death. I hope she has a long and successful career!

2. Roco says:

Tonight’s episode was really good, Stephanie earned my respect today and for that I will welcome her back anytime. On another note pairing Jackson and Maggie is completely inexcusable. They are the worse pairing in Grey’s history. I will not support this pairing (yes I love Japril) but still Jaggie is boring. And shame on Shonda, Maggie gotten over Nathan in what just one episode. Not really excited for next season.

3. Mike says:

Is there any point to concealing the character’s name with “Spoiler” when literally the very next article on the site, posted two minutes later, spoils it in the headline?

4. A.D. says:

Good Ridden to a boring, waste of space, character.

5. Shahar says:

The new show sounds cool. But people from Somalia are Somali, not somalian.

6. JK says:

I am so glad they kept her alive. It was the best send off any character has received, next to Christina’s.

7. Stacey says:

JH did such a good jobon grey’s, in the last 2 episodes especially. I am sotrying to see such a talented actress leave but wish her all the best.

8. Kate Kobylarz says:

Gotta say, you almost out-trumped my previous post-electoral trump scream sessions. Wasted time and space with empty dialog …. yikes. I know you are paying by the minute, but there is a limit to improper editing – like making audience wait to hear Minnick is fired. Should have been right on the spot – “Get outta my face!” Bailey: “Minnick, You’re fired!” Not taking time for some insane ‘official’ meeting to take place. It was immediate and should have been done immediately. Sorry, but glad she is gone as a role. Hospitalists suck major BIG TIME, create more lapses in the quality of care patients receive.

9. N says:

I thought The end was so nice for Nathan

10. Anna says:

Best of luck to her – she’s a great actress. I will miss Stephanie though – she was the only one of that resident class that was worth keeping (besides the later addition of Ben).

11. Keni k stone says:

If only Jo would have been written off as well.

12. Jackie says:

I will miss Stephanie so much

13. Marcus Mcdonald says:

I’m gonna miss Jerrika Hinton. I wish her and Jackson had stayed together. I don’t get the Jaggie hate though. Japril is toxic, and never works. I’m excited for jaggie.