The Leftovers Final Season

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on The Leftovers, Walking Dead, Grey's, Bates, B99, Arrow, Originals, Quantico, Supergirl and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: I’m already having Walking Dead withdrawal. Got anything on Season 8 yet? — Bud
Ausiello: As a matter of fact, yes. Remember in the finale, when Sasha said she wasn’t giving up on Eugene, even though he’d reverted to his most spineless self? That was “a hint to what the story is,” showrunner Scott Gimple recently told TVLine. “It certainly looked like he was still a Savior. But is that going to haunt him… change him? Or is he forever Negan?” (My guess: Eugene hasn’t bitten his last dick.)

Question: Since we saw Laurie again after she died on The Walking Dead and now Abraham after he died, what do you think are the odds we’ll get to see Glenn again? — Kelly
Ausiello: Pretty good, actually. As Maggie gets closer to giving birth, it’s “certainly possible,” says EP Gimple, that Steven Yeun might reprise his role for some newly created flashbacks or a vision or something. “I’d be silly to say it isn’t.” But, if a Glenn sighting were to be tied to his baby’s arrival, you could have quite a wait ahead of you. “She might not be that close,” Gimple hastened to add. “Things have been moving pretty quickly, but not a lot of time has passed.”

Question: Tell me something about the rest of the season of Quantico. —Tawna
Ausiello: How about a little finale scoop? We hear that the ABC spy drama will “borrow” for the episode an actor who’s currently on another series, and that actor will show up in the last 30 seconds of the finale “in a major way.”

Question: Will we see anymore Arrow flashbacks into Felicity’s past? —Jennifer
Ausiello: I cannot guarantee that Felicity plays into them, but EP Marc Guggenheim said that since all of Stephen Amell’s scenes in the Olicity-centric Episode 20 are with Emily Bett Rickards, the Russia flashbacks will get a week off. Instead, “The flashbacks are to a different time period, as we occasionally do,” he shared. “They take place between Seasons 4 and 5.”

Question: Grey’s Anatomy‘s Maggie is gonna find out about Meredith and Nathan someday, right? Still waiting. — Leah
Ausiello: Yes. As previously reported, this season, even. And when Maggie learns the truth, between that and her mom’s death, “it does change her outlook,” says Kelly McCreary, who plays Dr. Pierce. “It’ll give her a different perspective on the value of having a partner. She’s got her sister now, and she’s looking for another kind of partnership.” We may even have a hunch about with whom she’ll be forming that partnership.

Question: Only three episodes of Bates Motel left! Scoop, please? —Steven
Ausiello: Norman, with a strong assist from “Norma,” will throw someone close to him under the bus in an effort to clear his name. Also, something happens in the first 30 minutes of Monday’s episode that suggests Vera Farmiga will be getting a lot more screen time in these final episodes.

Question: iZombie is finally back and I feel like you’ve been pretty mum on the teaser front. Any scoop our favorite un-dead doctor and her merry band of misfits? —Jess
Ausiello: See if you can crack this Season 3 storyline mystery: “Ravi has his own investigation that takes him out of the group completely,” Rahul Kohli teases. That’s Clue No. 1. Here’s Clue No. 2:  The fact that Ravi isn’t a detective makes him the perfect choice for this mission. “He’s far enough away from everything that he’s anonymous,” Kohli teases. “So he’s able to be a little bit more incognito than the other characters.”

Question: Loving FEUD. Does it count as a spoiler if you tell me something that happens when the plot is already technically history? — Sam
Ausiello: I’m gonna say… kinda? In Sunday’s “Hagsploitation” (FX, 10/9c), Bob teaches Jack that payback is a bitch, only to then be held accountable himself — by a woman, no less. (And not either of the ones you’d expect.)

Question: Have you seen The Leftovers Season 3 premiere? Any intel on it and/or the final season in general? —Roger
Ausiello: Roger that, Roger. The closing scene of the April 16 opener made me spit my Diet Half ‘n Half Snapple all over my MacBook Air. It’s a massive mind frak that launches a new mystery — and one I’m told we will get an answer to by the series finale. Also, if you enjoyed last season’s alt-reality, standalone ep “International Assassin,” then you are going to fall head over heels for its quasi-sequel, Season 3, Episode 7’s “The Most Powerful Man in the World” — aka the series’ second-to-last episode ever. (Take note that I refrained from referring to it as the “penultimate” episode. I know an overexposed word when I repeatedly type see one.) Oh, here’s one more Leftovers tidbit: Amy Brenneman’s Laurie figures prominently in these final eight episodes.

Question: What exactly is Lucious’ mother’s endgame on Empire? —Todd
Ausiello: “We certainly will find out this season,” confirms showrunner Ilene Chaiken, “What is she up to? And how much of a problem is she for Lucious? That’s going to be answered by the end of this season. I would point you to almost the end of this season.”

Question: Anything you Supergirl Alex Maggiecan share about the closing episodes of Supergirl Season 2? —Laura
Ausiello: When Matt Mitovich during his recent set visit asked Chyler Leigh if she had heard anything about the finale, she parted with this provocative morsel: “I don’t know a lot. But I know one thing that could be happening that might be kiiiind of a big deal for Maggie and Alex.” With a smile, she added: “It’s kind of, maybe, sort of a big deal.”

Question: Before this season of NCIS: Los Angeles ends, will we get an update from Hetty about Granger’s fate? —Michelle
Ausiello: Granger (who was played by the late Miguel Ferrer) will be mentioned during an episode that airs later this month.

Question: Will we see a Densi wedding this season on NCIS: LA? —Tim
Ausiello: You will get a proper proposal by the time the May 14 finale rolls around, Daniela Ruah tells us, “But we will not get a wedding [this season].”

Question: I’m so anxious for the return of Brooklyn Nine-Nine! Any information on what happens to Gina? —Lynne
Ausiello: B-99 co-creator Dan Goor recently teased to TVLine that fans should be legitimately concerned about Gina heading into the spring premiere (airing Tuesday, April 11). She did, after all, get hit by a city bus. And even if she does survive, she may not have a job to come back to since, we will learn, the precinct faces potential closure. With crime down, the NYPD is looking to shutter one of Brooklyn’s 20-plus precincts. And would you believe that the fate of the Nine-Nine may very well rest in the hands of Amy’s ex-boyfriend, Teddy (played by returning guest star Kyle Bornheimer)? Well, believe it, because he’s the one tasked with auditing the precinct.

Question: Zach Roerig from The Vampire Diaries has been posting pictures from the set of Behind Enemy Lines. Is he going to be on the show full-time? –Matthew
Ausiello:
Good eye, Matthew. Unfortunately, I’m told that Roerig is only guest-starring in the Fox pilot at this point. Either way, I don’t think you have to worry about Roerig being gone from your TV for too long. Has he ever not been employed? (BTW, those pics you mentioned? They have mysteriously vanished from social media. Twist!)

Younger Thad DeathQuestion: Loved your little Younger script tease this week… but now I need more. What can you tell me? Anything? –Lee
Ausiello:
Don’t worry, Lee, I’ve got your fix — though you might want to be sitting down for this one: Younger is introducing a third potential suitor for Liza in Season 4. It’s a 40-something gentleman named Tucker Stevens, and although he doesn’t initially present himself in a romantic light, we have a feeling she’ll come around. Oh, and did I mention he’s trying to court Liza to a rival publishing house?

Question: I’m going through Vampire Diaries withdrawal over here! What can you tell me about Alaric’s upcoming trip to The Originals? –Alice
Ausiello:
Sorry to hear about your difficult time, Alice. Hopefully this can can help: Charles Michael Davis (aka The Originals’ Marcel) recently teased a scene he has opposite Matt Davis (Alaric) and Daniel Gillies (Elijah). “Matt took it upon himself to ad-lib a lot, so it was tough getting through that scene,” he said. “When they put out the bloopers for the season, I feel like that scene is definitely going to be in there.” (And here’s some bonus scoop for that blooper reel: It may or may not involve Beyoncé.)

Question: So I watched The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and loved it. Amazing. So funny, so smart. When does Amazon make a decision about their pilots and when would they air? —Jill
Ausiello: Soon. Very, very, very, very, very soon.

This AAnd That…
It looks like Lauren Graham has escaped the clusterfrak that will be Emmy’s limited series lead actress race. Sources confirm that as a result of a weird Academy rule that categorizes revivals as regular ongoing series, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life will actually compete as a drama series. That is, unless Netflix petitions Emmy brass to allow the four-episode continuation to enter as a comedy series race (which is probably where it belongs). But as of now, Graham — who is considered A Year in the Life‘s best shot at a nod — will be battling Viola Davis, Claire Danes, Keri Russell, Robin Wright, etc. for one of the six Lead Actress in a Drama series slots.
♦ Blind-ish item: At least two of these items pertain to Grey’s Anatomy. Speaking of Grey’s, no, this is not Matthew Morrison’s mystery man that Mer is shooting daggers at in coach (as some have speculated).
♦ Multiple sources are cautioning me to temper my excitement about a certain unnamed pilot I’ve had high hopes for. In fact, rumors are swirling that the project is essentially DOA – and production hasn’t even wrapped yet. Sigh…

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman, Andy Swift, Ryan Schwartz and Kim Roots)

1. Really excited for the Leftovers! Can’t wait for the premiere. I hope the pilot that is possibly DOA isn’t the Busy Phillips one!

• Leonie1988 says:

I agree! Especially about Busy Philipps!

• Lex says:

Here’s to both of these! I’m getting the same excited butterflies in my stomach for The Leftovers I got going into the final season of Lost (and I may be the only person who *didn’t* see it as a let down). I’m also seriously hoping we get more Busy Phillips, and not just as Michelle Williams’s Oscar date. The Arrow stuff? Don’t really care because it’s so outclassed by The Leftovers.

• dahipoy says:

as Jeff said I’m surprised that anyone can make $9248 in four weeks on the computer . you
      could try here>>>>>>>>>>>paybuzz7….. wiht tech>>>>…..>> com

2. Andrew Hass says:

Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me if we see Glenn’s ghost or as a figment of Maggie’s imagination when she gives birth on The Walking Dead or maybe other characters “see” Glenn too.As for NCIS-LA, i’m sure we’ll learn more about where Granger went because i’m sure Hetty wouldn’t try to find him to make sure he’s okay.

• Tracy says:

Sure hope that Glenn is there even if it is during the birth. ( I can’t even watch the show anymore.) Note to the writers and Gimple, I don’t know what you are thinking, but, this decision forever changed the fan base, and not in a positive way. Sadly, i lost my favorite character and my beloved connection with TWD. :(

• Tracy says:

Sure hope that Glenn is there even if it is during the birth. ( I can’t even watch the show anymore.) Note to the writers and Gimple: I don’t know what you are thinking, but, this decision forever changed the fan base, and not in a positive way. Sadly, i lost my favorite character and my beloved connection with TWD. :(

3. Diz says:

Yay Alex and Maggie! Excited for the finale!

4. Nty says:

Clues for the pilot that is DOA would be very helpful.
    Yep Lauren Graham has no chance in the Drama series category

5. Greta says:

Realllyyyy hoping the DOA pilot isn’t the Busy Philipps/Casey Wilson one! I’m so looking forward to that so my fingers are crossed!

6. Mr.F says:

Ruh-roh. This DOA thing isn’t FOX’s Untitled Marvel pilot I hope? I know they call it Gifted but it’s still considered unnamed and production hasn’t wrapped yet. . Please tell me they’re doing fine, ok?

• T.W.S.S. says:

Don’t think Ausiello’s been excited for that one.

• Raylan says:

Everyone on The Acker show is rather optimistic so I don’t think it’s DOA ;) At least I hope it gets picked up, etc.
      I bet on The Sackett Sisters. Which is sad, because I was looking forward to that show too.

7. So Maggie will just be ok that Meredith lied to her for no good reason for months and also mocked her about her crush behind her back to Nathan? Wow, that story has continued to be a failure and a terrible attempt at drama.

8. Leonie1988 says:

The Leftovers: I am SOOO happy to hear that Laurie (Amy Brenneman) will get a bigger role this season! She is great and the reason I started watching in the first place!

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Yippyyyyyy!

Arrow: YES! More Felicity is always better. Fight me :) But also: I would rather see more of Felicity flashbacks which are not connected to Oliver. Her personal story season 3 episode is one of my favorite episodes ever!

Lauren Graham: I’m crossing my fingers! Please give her a nomination!!! (and win)

9. Isa says:

Excited for the Alex and Maggie thing. Whatever it is.
    My bet is moving in together

10. jr. says:

Are any of the Glee cast going to the ballroom, to support Heather on Dancing With The Stars?

11. Azerty says:

“Things have been moving pretty quickly” on The Walking Dead => LOL

12. tvwatcher472 says:

Really Hope that Pilot Isn’t Linda From HR

13. Gospino says:

If I had to decide what Gilmore Girls is, I’d say more drama than comedy.

Looking forward to seeing Alaric on The Originals!

14. Karen says:

interesting spoilers re supergirl an ncis la i wonder if the team finds out about granger going to be intresting to see and also the densi spoiler cant wait

15. Karen says:

looking forward to the ncis spoilers re densi and its going to be intresting to find out ut the team reacts to granger

16. Kristina says:

They really need to add a “dramedy” category.

17. Jared says:

Lauren Graham should have been nominated when Gilmore Girls originally aired. The revival was good and had its moments don’t get me wrong, but an Emmy nomination, especially as a drama, is kind of pushing it.

18. Ken says:

“Multiple sources are cautioning me to temper my excitement about a certain unnamed pilot I’ve had high hopes for. In fact, rumors are swirling that the project is essentially DOA – and production hasn’t even wrapped yet. Sigh…”

Very interested in more details. Will we be able to find clues in your past posts and videos for any info about this pilot that you were so excited about?

19. T.W.S.S. says:

My goodness! These people have no conscience. We already have worthless Josh and clearly superior-in-every-way Charles. We do not need a third suitor.

• opus says:

EXCUSE ME!!! You have every right to be a Charles fan but to call Josh worthless is inexcusable!!!! He has proven himself to be anything but. I’m not sure who I want Liza to end up with (both have very different qualities that would be good for her) but I am furious that you would malign Josh in this way.

20. hoopsdiva says:

I’m glad they’re going to mention Granger on NCISLA. I really miss that character and everything that Miguel Ferrer brought to the show.

Couldn’t care less about a Densi wedding, and would frankly prefer not to have a proposal. But I’ve resigned myself to the inevitable.

• Ann says:

My thoughts exactly about Granger and the whole Densi bit. By this time, the engagement story’s as boring as the mole. I’m hoping they get married between seasons and when season 9 starts, they’re already hitched, so we don’t have to watch it. XD

• Chloe says:

I’m glad they’re going to mention Granger, too. As for Densi, he’s left me cold since Day 1. He’s way too scruffy looking. In all seriousness, if he showed up at my door, I wouldn’t let him in for fear of fleas or bedbugs. He’s not undercover, so why don’t they make him clean up? He’s a terrible representative for both the LAPD & NCIS.

• hoopsdiva says:

Densi is not a he, not even an individual. “Densi” is the couple, Deeks and Kensi. Yes, Deeks needs a damn haircut, and the actor has said in multiple interviews that TPTB refuse to let him get one. But I still prefer Deeks as a character over Kensi, and I’m sick to death of them as a couple.

• Chloe says:

Yes, I know Densi is a couple. Rather than say “Deeks & Kensi” and then “he’s left me cold”, I shortened it. I like her but really wouldn’t miss her if she left & was replaced by Anna.

21. ceecilex says:

I cackled at Gimple’s “Things have been moving pretty quickly”. He’s saying it sarcastically, right?

22. dq18 says:

I’m really hoping the DOA pilot is TBBT prequel. I love TBBT, but have never been able to wrap my brain around a world where a young Sheldon who doesn’t show any form of growth beyond the original pilot of TBBT could be good at all. I think it would unravel the world of the current series, and I don’t want to see that.

23. Anna says:

Love info on ncis:la,glad it’s renewed
    I’m disappointed that it’s reruns have stopped and believe I scroll alot

24. Angela says:

I love whenever there’s “Bates” scoop. It always makes me that much more excited for the episode in question :D. Regarding the whole “throw somebody he’s close to under the bus” thing, I’m guessing hie might try and pin Sam’s murder on Madeline? I can definitely see “Norma” trying to encourage that.
    Curious about the second part of that scoop, though. Hmm.

25. Michelle says:

Thanks for answering my NCIS:LA Granger related question. I’m glad we’re going to a mention of him in an upcoming episode, i just hope we’re not left wondering what’s happened to him. As for the late Miguel Ferrer i’m really missing him on the show.

26. Alyssa says:

Regarding NCIS: LA, I still have this nagging feeling about the connection between Granger and Sabatino… they were both introduced in the same episode (though with Sabatino undercover), and now they’ve both “disappeared”? I’m assuming something with that was Granger’s “unfinished business” he had to take care of?

• Larc says:

Probably. I interpreted Granger’s “unfinished business” as somebody still breathing who shouldn’t be.

• Ann says:

Odd, that idea never crossed my mind. I figured that since he knew he was dying, he wanted to spend some time doing things–and being with people, like his daughter–he hadn’t had time for when he was working.

27. Jill says:

I hope the DOA pilot isn’t Mae Whitman & Retta’s pilot Good Girls. I I concur on the Busy & Casey pilot, I don’t want that dead either.

28. Ann says:

Sorry, but the whole Kensi-Deeks (“Densi”) engagement thing is incredibly boring. Hasn’t that been going on as long–or longer–than the mole story? Good grief, get up hitched already!

29. tybabb says:

I’m guessing the DOA pilot is NBC’s Good Girls with Mae Whitman, Retta and Kathleen Rose Perkins. Michael was definitely excited for it and I’ve really heard nothing about it so far since the cast announcement, Mae hasn’t talked about it on social media from what I’ve seen

30. EsaLeni271 says:

What makes everyone think its the Busy Philipps pilot? She keeps posting pictures and IG stories from the set (just posted one with Bradley Whitford a few hours ago) on her instagram and she still seems to be excited about it making it. Would think if the project were DOA already she would be more bummed about it and not posting pics. Just a theory, but who knows.

31. Daya says:

I hope Deeks proposes during the April 23 episode! What a fantastic side dish to James Remar’s appearance. <3

32. KLS says:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel got my vote. Loved the pilot. I hope the people who tried HBO’s new pilots voted.

33. Justice says:

Oh god please tell me we arent going to have to suffer through yet another eugene switchero on walking dead. How many times do we have to see this story. You know what would be unexpected… eugene actually staying on team negan and getting killed off. That and gimple getting replaced.

34. Gift says:

Happy I will Glenn again, the writers went too far killing him off. Besides Nick nd his son, he was also the best of walking dead for me. I hope to see him real soon.

35. Baker Girl says:

You’re killing us “Smalls” with your DOA un-named pilot… that is not a “smurfy” thing to do. You should just go ahead and tell us. Now be a better smurf and tell, tell……………

36. Anything about Bellarke from The100!

37. digitalred93 says:

Fingers crossed that the DOA pilot isn’t Boreanaz’s Seals. The photos leaking from the set look exciting.

38. Shelly says:

Based on what I’ve heard, I would be shocked if Linda From HR actually did get picked up. Trouble in paradise on that production…

39. LMK says:

Ugh! What about updates from Scandal, Designated Survivor and the Blacklist??