May Sweeps Scorecard 2017

May Sweeps Scorecard 2017: Deaths, Breakups, Weddings, Firings, Sex, Resurrections, Time Jumps and More!

A lot of people consider it spring as soon as the snow starts to melt and a flower or two blooms. But — and we hardly need to tell you this! — we TV fanatics are a breed apart. To us, it isn’t spring until TVLine has dropped its annual May Sweeps Scorecard. And guess what — today’s the day!

As always, the spoilergasm is overflowing with teasers about who’s getting knocked off, knocked up or just knocked down a peg or two before the end of Sweeps (and, not coincidentally, so many series’ season finales). When you see a [SPOILER] tag, you’ll know you’re circling a secret we’re not at liberty to divulge. But, of course, that shouldn’t and — who are we kidding? — won’t stop you from guessing.

Wait, wait. Not so fast. Before you dive in:
• Keep in mind that most of the entries pertain to series regulars or recurring characters on shows that air on a broadcast network (i.e. ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, The CW). Also, limited series — like Fox’s Shots Fired— are not eligible.
• Also keep in mind that, as the plots twist and information leaks, we’ll be updating the Scorecard (and re-updating it… and RE-re-updating it) with additional entries. And then once Sweeps commences, we’ll be revealing the identities of the individuals behind the [SPOILER] tags (but only after the twists play out on air). In other words, bookmark this page now.
• Lastly, keep in mind that, if it’s on the Scorecard, it occurs during May Sweeps, which this year begins Thursday, April 27 and ends Wednesday, May 24.

OK, now you can start reading. What? You already had? Is it any wonder why we love you people?

Number of characters giving birth: 3
1. AIRED May 7: Erica gave birth to daughter Dawn/The Last Man on Earth
2. AIRED
May 10: Bow gave birth to son DeVonte/black-ish
3. AIRED May 18: Kelly gave birth to Lucifer’s son/Supernatural

Number of couples having sex, kissing or saying “I Love You” for the first time: 32
1. AIRED April 27: Sandra and Jerry kissed/Superstore
2. AIRED April 28: Greer and James kissed/Reign
3. AIRED April 28: Narcisse and Nicole had sex/Reign
4. AIRED April 29: Holly and Frank said “I love you” (in their own way)/Training Day
5. AIRED April 30: Gail and Erica’s relationship revealed/Last Man on Earth

Number of couples reuniting: 10
1. AIRED April 27: Catherine and Richard/Grey’s Anatomy
2. AIRED April 30: Jeanette and Carson/American Crime
3. AIRED May 10: Jane and Weller/Blindspot
4. AIRED May 15: Rafael and Petra/Jane the Virgin
5. AIRED May 15: Alex and Ryan/Quantico
6. AIRED May 16: Mack and Elena/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
7. AIRED

May 14: The Black Fairy/Once Upon a Time
25. AIRED
May 15: President Roarke/Quantico
26. AIRED
May 16: Iris/The Flash
26. AIRED
May 16: Aida/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
27. AIRED
49. AIRED
May 23: H.R./The Flash
50. AIRED May 24: Malcolm/Arrow
51. AIRED May 24: Adrian Chase/Arrow
52. AIRED May 24: Kovar/Arrow
53. AIRED May 24: Captain Boomerang/Arrow

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR LIST OF BREAKUPS, RESURRECTIONS & MORE!

1. Spence says:

It’s HERE!!! *heart eyes emoji*

2. Ryan says:

Calling it now: nuclear disaster is going to be Blindspot.

• Ryan says:

The 100 makes more sense.

• sara says:

I’m not sure, my first thought went to the 100 but t’s not exactly a nuclear disaster and it’s already happening, it’s just not at full letal potencial yet. The giving birth i totally went to the magicians since there’s 2 potentials, but then i remembered it’s on syfy and it ends before the sweeps begin, so it must be on something i’m not watching.

• cuius says:

Wrong – Grey’s Academy have reserved that, only season ending they haven’t used yet

• leo21 says:

Grey’s is supposed to skip the catastrophic event in the finale this time around.

• Erin B says:

HA HA! So true!

• Grey'sFan says:

Grey’s Anatomy has had a big traumatic event season ender since the Super Storm in Season 9 when Meredith gave birth to Baby Bailey.

Season 10: Cristina left for Switzerland and Maggie revealed to Richard that Ellis was her birth mom.

Season 11: Richard and Catherine married and Meredith decided to sell the dream house.

Season 12: Owen and Amelia married and April gave birth.

• Grey'sFan says:

Should have said: “HASN’T HAD.”

Pretty sure Jo/Alex will be one of the couples getting back together, and Jo and Stephanie will leave town (temporarily) for a work/fellowship thing, which Stephanie probably won’t come back from. When Jo returns GSMH she’ll walk in on the surprise of a lifetime when she meets a new surgeon that was hired in her absence… One who will get along very well and be BFFs with Alex and stealing April’s heart.

• Rook says:

I think Jo will leave town because her husband is gonna pop up. Plus in real life the actress is pregnant.

• Alex says:

I agree with all of this except the last part, because unless someone is leaving the show, no one in their right mind would pick Matthew Morrison over Jesse Williams (sorry MM…you be a nice voice)

• spp138 says:

Ha I was thinking Designated Survivor

• MMD says:

Could be Madam Secretary

• david7118 says:

Nope. It’s going to be Leonard on The Big Bang Theory when his lactose intolerance catches up with him in a big way. ;-)

• ummm im calling the nuclear disaster the be on The100 ! The second apocalypse is coming !

3. Mary says:

I have my top 11 and they’re all Mon-El.

4. nuclear disaster – The 100, me thinks! And i’d say its pretty obvious that Once Upon A time will be a time jump haha

5. AlliDone says:

This is my FAVORITE spring tradition!

6. Rob says:

I’d say Once Upon a Time is a lock for a time jump. I’d say that Nuclear Disaster is maybe Quantico although that seems too on the nose. Either way, I’m pumped. I look forward to this scorecard all year! Thanks Team TVLine.

7. Butch says:

Hook and Emma will get back together on Once. Mon-El will leave Kara to be the good Prince of Daxam after over throwing his parents on Supergirl. Iris will seem to die on The Flash but be saved next season.

• Rook says:

For some reason I don’t think Iris is gonna die. I could see then giving us a fake out where someone else is killed in her place, like Joe.

• So I’m not the only one who’s waiting for an anvil to drop on Joe. I love the guy, but there’s been a sense of doom around him — despite, or perhaps because, he’s in such a good place other than the Iris prophecy thing. He has found and connected with his biological son, he’s found new love, his daughter and foster son are getting married (Westallen will ALWAYS feel incestuous to me), etc.

8. Angela says:

I always like the specific items on this list. Like a nuclear disaster. That narrows things down pretty considerably :p.
    Ohhhhhh, boy. It’s here. The nice part is that most of my shows have well wrapped up their seasons/aren’t on a broadcast network by the time this rolls around, so “Criminal Minds” is the main one I need to focus on. And given everything going on this season on “Criminal Minds”, I’m especially nervous about what that show will bring us for sweeps. Still looking forward to how this scorecard fills out, though :).

9. Time jump probably Grimm at the end I guess

Breakups/Divorces is hard to guess but there are 3 couples in The Big Bang Theory, perhaps one of them is not gonna make it.

10. Kaci says:

Just keep Iris West, Bellamy Blake and Raven Reyes safe!

Save my three favs! 🙏🙏🙏

I love this spoiler list. It always raises the stakes. Just tell us Matt! 😬😅

• I bet Matt’s sitting on this info, just wishing he could release it all lol

• Goldenvibefan says:

Can they keep Octavia and Jasper alive while they’re at it? I know Jasper’s been a jerk this year, but I miss his interactions with Octavia like season 1. Gah.

• IknowThings says:

Hate to break it to you like this but Jasper is dying in 4×11. Octavia fate is up in the air same as Clarke by season finale. Raven is safe. She’ll finally get to have another space walk.

• Goldenvibefan says:

Seriously? Welp.. This blows, I was really hoping that they would both make it out and interact more next season.. :( At least Raven is safe. Why can’t Murphy just finally die instead of Jasper? Grr.

11. Wrstlgirl says:

Rosalie has to give birth or at least be seen with the babies in a time jump on Grimm. They can’t end the show without showing us those babies!!

12. Mar says:

One of the kisses better be Bellarke or else.

13. Gem says:

I’m sure someone is dying and/or leaving Grey’s. Completely predictable.

14. Manu says:

Alex and Maggie will definitely say the L word (not lesbian, the other one) for the first time.

15. Isa says:

Alex and Maggie will say ILY for the first time
    Hopefully MonEl is in the fatalities list.

• Goldenvibefan says:

I hope not. I like Mon-El quite a bit!

• Quinn says:

I do too. Mon-El adds some humor (and good looks) to the Supergirl series. Leave the dude alone and go pick on some other crazy television character..like Negan from TWD…or Bill O’Reilly. Take your pick.

16. rain6304 says:

I am very curious to see if any of these apply to Lucifer. The news well for that show has run quite dry as of late.

17. Andrew says:

Nuclear Disaster could be on “Designated Survivor” since they wrapped up the Vice President storyline awful quick.

18. ChicagoDan says:

Reign can always be counted on for a few deaths.

• Neza says:

I haven’t seen Reign since season 2 finale but since it is the series finale, and considering actual historical events, logic would dictate that Mary will lose her head in the final episode. So yeah I’d say you’re right about this one

• LoraElizabeth12 says:

Yep😂😂😂

19. sofia says:

One of the big returns will be Morgan on Criminal Minds. And I just hope none of the deaths are there, especially an off-screen one, because they were filming by the wall of the fallen agents a couple of weeks ago for the season finale, and I’m scared they might kill off Hotch.
    And this is basically all I care about this season.

• Would it be Morgan, though? That’s not a spoiler, since the news on that already came out.

• sofia says:

So? Last season we all knew months ahead that Tony would be leaving NCIS and he was still in one of the items of the May Sweeps, and so was Scratch, who is a very secondary (and also very stupid and unnecessary) character on CM, so I’m guessing Morgan, who is still a fan-favorite, is also here this year.

• Angela says:

I don’t know if Morgan’s return will count on this list since we already know it’s happening. This is mainly supposed to be reserved for things we don’t know for sure will happen and have to guess at, hence the spoiler tags.
      As for your comment about the wall, that does seem rather ominous. I still maintain this show wouldn’t kill Hotch off and leave Jack an orphan, but given the season finale is supposed to involve the team hunting Mr. Scratch and he’s the reason Hotch left the team… I hope they don’t even consider going there.

• sofia says:

Well, if it is like that this year, it’s going to be the first time, because in all the other years things people had known for ages were still included in the May sweeps. Like JJ’s return on CM at the end of season 6, or Prentiss leaving CM at the end of season 7 (this one was known by the audience since, like, January or February of that year), or Tony leaving NCIS last season, and so many, many other things.
        They include all the big events/changes that occur on most shows at the end of the season, whether is has already been reported or not.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

+175 TVLine Power User points (no cash value).

• Angela says:

Yeah, they might’ve known they were leaving/coming back, but they didn’t necessarily always know how that would take place. That’s where the guessing and speculation over what category that would fall under specifically comes in.
          They may well include Morgan’s return in the scorecard, too, sure. But that kind of takes the suspense out of guessing, unless there’s another unknown aspect to his return yet to be revealed.

• sofia says:

Oh, and I want one of the breakups to be Prentiss putting an end to that long-distance relationship of hers.

• sofia says:

It seems that one of the big returns will be Aubrey Plaza as Cat Adams on Criminal Minds, and I take back what I said about not wanting any of the fatalities to happen on CM, I just don’t want any team member, past or present, or any relative of a team member, for example Jane Lynch’s Diana Reid, who will be in some of the final episldes, to die. If Cat or Scratch, hopefully both, are the ones listed in the fatalities section then I’ll be very happy.

• sofia says:

I was right about Cat’s return, and now I’m adding some BAU team members to the possible fatalities list.
        Also, does Garcia’s resignation count it she didn’t leave her job yet? I wouldn’t be too sad if they killed Reid, and even though I think MGG might leave the show soon, I don’t think they’d kill him, and this means Garcia won’t leave, right? Please, not now that I’m shipping her with Luke. I already lost Hotch this season just before Prentiss returned, so no new scenes for my ship (yes there are still some of us, but by now we all know it’ll never be canon, but that doesn’t mean we will stop shipping them), I can’t lose my most recent ship as well this season, it’s too much.

• sofia says:

Me adding BAU team members to the possible fatalities list doesn’t mean I changed my mind and want want them to die, no, it’s because of that big truck in the promo driving straight towards 2 SUVs, which, hopefully, aren’t even the team’s cars. Maybe that’s not even the last scene of the finale, why would they spoil it in a promo. But what if that is the last scene and those really are the team’s cars with team members inside, and then we’re left wondering for weeks/months if someone died because we don’t even know which actors are returning next season.
          (You guys, by any chance, don’t have any contract renewal news you want to share with us? *wink wink*)

• sofia says:

If not in the possible fatalities list (because of the car crash), then in the firings/resignations/major job changes, maybe the whole team resigns, a la NCIS season 10 finale, because Prentiss gets put under investigation/suspended/fired for all the unethical and inappropriate, and some maybe even illegal, things she did this season.
            We’re gonna find out tomorrow what it is, finally, and I can finally stop speculating, until next year.

• sofia says:

Hate seeing so many CM characters in the possible fatalities list, especially Emily, because this was the second time she got hit by a truck.
          No contract renewal news yet for you guys to give us?

20. Misti says:

Nuclear Disaster = The 100, except that seems pretty darn obvious since they told us it was going to happen in LAST year’s finale…

21. kmw says:

Ok I didn’t care about this years list until I saw the nuclear one. That has to be Designated Survivor. otherwise since Bones is gone there is nothing I could even come close to guessing

22. Beverley says:

Couples : Meredith and Nathan, April and Jackson

• Casey says:

I thought the same thing on Meredith and Nathan, but they’ve already kissed and had sex, and it’s probably too soon to say I love you!

23. Karen says:

its that time of the year when fans get nervous of whats going to go down on their fave shows and i am already afraid of it lol

24. Azerty says:

I guess considering the article above Earth 2 Laurel Lance is one of the big return?

25. Jana says:

Couple reuniting: Weller and Jane on Blindspot.

26. This has to be the dumbest thing you guys do!!

• There always has to be one detractor.

If you don’t like it, skip it. Many of us look forward to this all year.

• PatriciaLee says:

And we have so much fun, discovering something that we’ve missed for years! Believe it or not, I just stumbled over what the Questions article was, just last year…haha…now my favorite.

• A fan of TV says:

And yet, they know their site metrics, most certainly. If you were the voice of the majority, it wouldn’t come back every year…Personally, I love it.

• MMD says:

Easy solution – just skip it. There are plenty of articles to read.

27. Chris says:

My only wish is that Jane the Virgin resurrects Michael.

28. Is it wrong that when I saw nuclear disaster at the bottom of the list I immediately thought damn you Shonda?

29. Netty says:

When does Lucifer return, we may get a steamy hook up between Lucifer and the detective.
    Couples reuniting – I have a feeling Liv & Jake on Scandal
    Couples saying ‘I love you’ – Mon EL/Kara
    Leaving town – Mon EL
    Getting Fired/Resign: Abby (Scandal)

30. drb999 says:

Once Upon a Time:

Deaths: Rumple/Mr. Gold and a time jump

31. I hope there’s some Superstore love this sweeps. Amy and Jonah getting together or if they’re feeling brave/stupid, a Dina pregnancy.

32. pocketgal says:

Emma and Killian wedding Once Upon a Time ❤️❤️❤️

33. Romane says:

For OUAT, pretty sure there’s a wedding and a casualty and possibly a time jump.
    Nuclear disaster sounds like the 100 but you never know.

34. Wedding: Toby & Happy Couple: I’m hoping it’s Paige & Walter

35. maregolden says:

On Hawaii Five-O, either or both Chin Ho and Kono will be in danger of being a possible fatality. Because, why should this year be different from any other.

36. Jackie says:

Once Upon a Time is gonna be a lot of them: wedding, character death(s), character(s) leaving town, time warp/jump.

37. Hollie says:

I don’t ask for much, please just spare Fitzsimmons this year- I couldn’t bear if they had a cliffhanger and then the show got cancelled!!!

• Neza says:

Honestly after the last episode and Fitz now being a murderer and all ( and he will probably be torturing Sky/Daisy in the next episode), I’d say they are on some pretty shaky ground. Considering everything a cliffhanger might actually be wishful thinking they may just break up. Not that I want that to happen I love Fitzsimmons and I’d much rather see a proposal than a break up but I am very worried.

38. Kim Barron says:

Do these include “Bones” and “Grimm”?

39. Lysh says:

Aw, it seems like less deaths this year. Someone on The 100, most likely.
    The wedding is obvs Captain Swan.

40. Val M. says:

Number of couples reuniting: I hope one of these couple are Klaus and Caroline on The Originasl

41. leo21 says:

Leaving Town: Stephanie from Grey’s
    Divorce: Ameila and Owen

42. PatriciaLee says:

Nuclear disaster in Lucifer’s hell, with someone having to relive it, over and over.

43. Rachel says:

Oh pls bughead for I love u and sex 🙏🏻😆

44. zackkattackk843 says:

The wedding is Captain Swan!!

45. Goldenvibefan says:

I’m curious to see how many of these Riverdale qualifies for this year. Could have a couple I love you’s in there and resignations and stuff. Idk.

• As noted elsewhere, I think the nuclear disaster is metaphorical: Archie and Betty and Cheryl and Veronica’s mothers will end up trapped in an elevator together, and I’d call that scenario a meltdown!

A time jump wouldn’t necessarily surprise me on Riverdale. They were starting their sophomore year of high school … making them juniors would mean pretty much all of them would be old enough to have a driver’s license.

• The time jump isn’t Riverdale. Season 2 is the same school year. We know one of the deaths is Riverdale. We may get an ‘I love you’ between Jughead and Betty.

I wonder if one of the time jumps isn’t Supergirl. She does have a time travel device about. I don’t see it being Flash again

• Josh says:

Hoping for I love You Between Betty and Jughead! Wouldn’t be surprised if there is another death

46. is it just me, or is the “nuclear disaster” one kind of obvious?

47. A fan of TV says:

Nuclear disaster to either Madam Secretary or Designated Survivor, I would guess.

If this is New Girl’s last season I’d assume they’re represented in quite a few categories (reuniting couple, maybe a wedding, a baby Schmidt)…Though if they haven’t written Nick and Jess’s reunion I hope they get at least the chance to wrap it up next year.

Assuming OUAT is one of the time jumps from all the chatter about a plot reset.

Love this time of year, though more than guessing I get addicted to checking in every day to see what’s newly confirmed, even though I watch but a small portion of the shows involved!

• Kirty says:

Jack Bauer is already used to nuclear disasters, so at least Keifer has experience

• Mike H says:

The current storylines on both Designated Survivor and Madam Secretary have them trying to fend of radical groups with access to deadly weaponry, so either one could lead to a nuclear disaster. Madam Secretary looks like it is Targeting Israel Designated Survivor is a homeland threat.

• Mike H says:

Madam Secretary is chasing a biological weapon not them. Still don’t know what the build a new America Group has their hands on with Designated Survivor.

48. Lex says:

If one of the reunions is Olicity (as is suspected) I will bathe in the tears of the haters.

49. Vanessa says:

can the nuclear desaster be in one of the time travel shows? probably timeless or legends…

50. Mackenzie says:

Hope one of the departures is Reagan on New Girl. I suppose if this is the last season it’ll be too late to enjoy it, but a girl can dream.

Also if they threw a Nick and Jess reunion in there I certainly wouldn’t complain…