Ask Ausiello

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey's, Empire, The Walking Dead, Good Fight, The 100, Jane the Virgin, SVU and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Grey’s Anatomy scoop, please! —Allison
Ausiello: The show is admitting the rarest breed of Grey’s Anatomy character this spring: an honest-to-goodness Big Bad. According to sources, Shonda Rhimes & Co. are looking for a Caucasian actor in his mid 40s to play a new doctor who is “appealing, charismatic and charming” — in other words, a total freakin’ catch. The twist? He’s has a “manipulative, scary dark side.” The MD (which in this case stands for maniacal demon) will appear in this season’s final four episodes and could return in Season 14. Now, I’ll just say what everyone is thinking: Could this be Jo’s husband?! BONUS SCOOP: Tonight’s episode ends with a fairly momentous *u*.

The Good Fight Season 1Question: I see you attended the premiere of The Good Fight on Wednesday night. Don’t leave us hanging — what did you think?!
Ausiello: My formal review will arrive in the coming days (after I screen the second episode, which just hit my desk). But here’s what I can tell you in the meantime: It’s good. It’s too soon to say if it’s Good Wife good, but, judged on its own merits, the premiere is a really solid hour of television, boasting expectedly strong performances from franchise vets Christine Baranski and Cush Jumbo as well as newbie Rose Leslie, whose Maia is essentially the Alicia of the story. Now for a few very mild spoilers: Josh Charles’ late Will makes not one but two “cameos” in the opener, at least three F-bombs are dropped (and not all of them by Baranski’s Diane) and the opening title sequence is quite, ahem, smashing.

Question: Any hope of a romantic reunion for Jane the Virgin‘s Jane and Rafael now that Michael is out of the picture? —Alicen
Ausiello: Jesus Christ, his body is barely cold. Are you heartless?

Question: I’m still inconsolable after Michael’s death on Jane the Virgin. Anything you can tell me about next week’s episode to make me feel better? —Samantha
Ausiello: If you’re like me, you’re probably wondering how long it’ll be before Jane starts boning Rafael. Well, based on what I’m hearing about Monday’s episode, you may have to wait a while. Turns out Rafael spent the intervening three years doing time and doing a new lady (who may or may not have a Friday Night Lights connection and who may or may not be featured in this photo here).

635940299080994561-2036258243_get_asset_resize
Question: Are we ever going to meet Max’s parents on 2 Broke Girls? —Jessica

Ausiello: Actually, we almost met Max’s MIA mom this season. In fact, producers quietly began casting the role with an eye toward introducing her this winter, but the idea was scrapped. Actually, it was postponed, likely until next season.

Question: Anything on The Walking Dead? —Doug
Ausiello: In Sunday’s midseason premiere (AMC, 9/8c), Rick and Team Alexandria for the first time in a long time have a goal that goes beyond survival — defeating the Saviors. So it no longer feels to them — and shouldn’t feel to viewers — like they are in an endless tunnel with no light at the end of it, showrunner Scott Gimple tells TVLine. That goal is “where the light comes from. Now they know the way out of the tunnel, and they are fighting for that — and fighting to get ready to fight. That brings life back to them.” BONUS SCOOP: Sunday’s episode features one of show’s coolest zombie sequences ever that could revive a certain dance craze.

Question: I’m very much looking forward to House of Cards Season 5, but there’s been no mention of whether Paul Sparks will be back as Thomas Yates. I love him on the show and I really love him with Robin Wright’s Claire. —Jason
Ausiello: I agree with you on all counts, so you can probably imagine how excited I am to confirm to you right here in Ask Ausiello that Sparks will indeed be back in Season 5. Even better, the supremely underrated actor makes the “announcement” himself via the below Emmy red carpet video that I’ve been keeping in my back pocket until closer to the show’s May 30 return. In the below clip, Sparks also responds to my concerns about House of Cards pressing forward without creator Beau Willimon at the helm.

Question: Got anything on Empire? —Nikki
Ausiello: Jamal is getting a major new love interest before Season 3 wraps. An attorney by day and aspiring musician by night, Lawrence also (naturally!) is hiding a dangerous secret. We’ll first meet him in the show’s two-part finale, and he will definitely be back in Season 4 (perhaps even as a series regular).

Question: Longtime reader, first time writing in. I love Switched At Birth except for one thing. Am I the only one completely over Bay and Emmett? Anyway, got any scoop you can share about this final season? —Karissa
Ausiello: Regina’s hush-hush May-December romance is not going to remain hidden from her daughters for long. “Secrets always get blown, and usually at big events where you don’t want them to get blown,” executive producer Lizzy Weiss teases with a laugh. “[Bay and Daphne] do find out pretty soon. Regina has kept a lot of secrets from the girls, and she knows that that’s never a good idea. But she also is protective of her privacy and worried they’re going to judge her. So she is treading a little delicately in trying to balance being honest with them and [finding] the right time” to tell them about her new guy.

Question: I decided to start the One Day at a Time reboot and became immediately obsessed. Any word from Netflix about a second season? —Eric
Ausiello: It hasn’t been made official yet but, yes, there will be a second season. My guess is it’ll be announced within the next two weeks.

supernatural-season-12-photos-96Question: Any Supernatural spoilers? —Maria
Ausiello: Misha Collins confirms what co-showrunner Andrew Dabb previously told TVLine about there being another big Castiel episode in the pipeline. “Particularly getting close to the end of the season, things heat up dramatically for Cas,” Collins previews. “The pursuit of Kelly and her spawn turns into a transformative experience for Castiel, and that is meant with every possible type of entendre. We’re going to see a new iteration of Cas coming up.”

Question: Big Jaha fan here. Why haven’t we seen much of him on The 100 this season? –Jake
Ausiello: Funny you should ask, Jake, because you’re going to be seeing a lot of your favorite character next Wednesday (Feb. 15). After this week’s explosion, Clarke and the gang are getting pretty desperate to save their people — perhaps even desperate enough to turn to Isaiah Washington’s character for support. The question is: Can he be trusted? (Also, you can’t really blame him for laying low, considering he was basically the cause of last year’s ALIE catastrophe.)

Question: Any scoop on the upcoming Law & Order: SVU episode where the D.A.’s office is hacked? Any hint on what sort of secrets about Barba will be revealed? —LaShawna
Ausiello: Without spilling exactly what it is, I can say that a secret so big and career-threatening is in play that Barba can’t even turn to Benson for support. Instead, he’ll choose a course of action that is, arguably, quite ill-advised.

Question: Congrats on your book! Can’t wait to read it. Now my question: The one thing This Is Us has taught me, besides to hydrate and stock up on tissues before watching, is to dissect every scene for hidden, potentially spoilery details. I couldn’t help but focus on the position of the kids at the memorial service for Jack. Kate was furthest away from Rebecca, and Randall was closest to her, both of which I expected. But I was genuinely surprised to see Kevin holding Randall’s hand. (I thought Kevin and Randall would be on either side of Rebecca). Is there something there or have I just gone too far down the rabbit hole? —Fran
Ausiello: My money’s on the rabbit hole option. What does everyone else think?

This AAnd That…
I’m working on an Emmy story that involves our girl Lauren Graham and a certain gold statue. And I’m telling you this with the hopes that you will pressure me to write the damn thing because, well, I’ve been dragging my feet — and when you see the story, you’ll understand why.
Remind me to tell you the story about the A-list movie actress whose reps are apparently so ashamed their client is “slumming it” on the small screen that they are refusing to make her available to outlets that exclusively cover television.
Word on the street is that Alan Ball’s new untitled HBO drama series now has a title: Here, Now.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman, Dave Nemetz and Andy Swift)

1. webly3 says:

Write the Lauren Graham piece! Also, interested with the A-list movie actress story too… future Ask Ausiello Live story?

2. Paul says:

Always my favorite when there’s a new AA! Haha I remember switching from “The Watch with Wanda!” over a decade ago! Can’t wait to get your book Michael, long time supporter and fellow tv & smurf enthusiast! Keep up the great work!

3. Al says:

“Tonight’s episode ends with a fairly momentous *u*.”

What does that mean ? A big cliffhanger?

4. Superwoman says:

The A-List movie Actress is either Reese Witherspoon or Nicole Kidman

5. Lisa says:

Slumming A List Actress – Annette Bening? Isn’t she doing one of the crime anthology series?

6. Magali says:

Would appreciate if someone can tell me what a momentous *u* is ?

7. Lauren says:

Is GA finally gonna do Jo right and explore her past? She has been treated poorly for long enough and her domestic abuse storyline should’ve never been pushed back for so long. They already revealed it in the last episode of last season, why did it take them a full year to bring in that guy? If he is her husband he’s pretty old though. She is barely 30 and he’s in his 40s?? Let’s just hope that they give her more before he atrives, a mentor and scenes with Alex talking about their relationship would be nice.

8. fiberlicious says:

Michael, is there any chance that this season of Switched could be so successful that it gets uncancelled?

• Hannah says:

It won’t. It’s ratings are lower now that they’ve ever been (this season’s premiere had **a third** of the ratings of last season’s premiere). But it’s clearly not even the delay from Freeform since the season finale of last season was super super super low. Gonna have to let this show go.

9. Maja says:

It’s too obvious that Jane will end up with Rafael and that makes me so angry.. They really should have just killed Michael in season 1 if that was the whole plan because now that we know he was Jane’s soulmate she will just settle for Rafael.. Who has a much more interesting connection with Petra IMO

• Chris says:

I agree. When you have to kill a character off to make your pairing work, why bother? I preferred Rafael with Petra too. Still sad and pissed Michael died on Jane the Virgin.

• dean says:

Completely agree with you both!

• T says:

Me too. I am now officially done with the show. Didn’t have a chance to watch Monday’s that night so when I heard Michael was dead I deleted it and turned off all future recordings of the show. Biggest reason I still watched was Michael (and of course Jane) so now I just freed up 40 minutes of time!

10. Jason says:

I’m surprised anyone is still “ashamed” about television versus movies. I think everyone should realize by now, that’s where the meatiest roles are showing up.

• MMD says:

So am I. You hear so many “film” actors talk about tv or streaming services having the great writing and roles these days. I think the actress needs new reps and soon.

11. Paula says:

The A list actress has to be either Reese Witherspoon or Nicole Kidman for doing Big Little Lies.

12. “a Caucasian actor in his mid 40s to play a new doctor who is “appealing, charismatic and charming” — in other words, a total freakin’ catch. The twist? He’s has a “manipulative, scary dark side.” ”
    Jeffery Dean Morgan!
    Oh, wait…

13. Ally says:

Would read anything you write that has to do with Lauren Graham, especially if it involves Emmys! Fingers crossed she gets nominated!!! PS…I miss Gilmore Girls

14. queerbec says:

Annette Bening as the Governor of Louisiana in American Crime Story: Katrina might make sense, but with the push for Pretty Little Lies heating up, I’ve seen Shailene out and about and see Reese booked, but no Nicole, who hasn’t made the rounds since before Lion opened. But both projects have their own prestige: one on HBO and one a Ryan Murphy follow-up to the Emmy, Golden Globe, TV Critics’ nominated OJ opus.

15. TW says:

A-List actress: Viola Davis?

• Superwoman says:

No way Viola being on HTGAWM could be called “slumming it”…

• SusieT79 says:

Plus she has done tons of interviews so she’s not shy about it. I also believe she would be the type to tell her PR team to shove off if they tried that. She has also won a LOT of awards for HTGAWM.

• Alichat says:

But has she ever done an interview for this site? This site is only TV, not feature films. So it could be a pointed statement about TVLine not being able to get her for an interview because of her PR team. And regardless of how well a TV show is doing or the accolades she receives for that show, there are still agents and PR teams that think TV is “slumming it”.

• Hannah says:

Yeah, but the majority of actors on television haven’t done interviews for this site – there are way too many of them, and TVLine only produces so many interviews.
            I genuinely doubt it’s Viola Davis.

16. johnhelvete says:

If it is Nicole Kidman than her reps must be going crazy. Not only is Kidman in Big Little Lies, she is in the second season of Top of The Lake and just signed on to produce/ potentially star in The Expatriates for TV this week.

Annette Bening would not be doing promotion yet for a series that is months away from airing.

17. FormerCastleAddict says:

Please write the Lauren Graham piece. I’ll reward you sufficiently.

18. V.J. says:

I don´t like the SVU spoiler at all especially since there is the fear going around that Raul Esparza might be leaving the show which would be a damn shame because he is (for me) the one thing that keeps me watching as I am not a huge fan of this season (although I can´t pin down why…)

19. JustMe says:

The A-list actress sounds as if it could be Viola Davis. She’s been doing very little promotion for the show but neither did the rest of the cast. Her profile keeps rising, she’s getting awards for Fences left and right, while the nominations for HTGAWM aren’t as guaranteed as they were up to last season.

• SusieT79 says:

I don’t think so because that would be odd they would be ashamed of her playing a roll where she won multiple awards. I wouldn’t consider working on an award winning show as slumming it, even if they don’t get any awards this year.

• JustMe says:

She won awards, not the show. The show isn’t exactly enjoying much praise for its quality anymore and Viola openly acknowledges that. It’s somewhat of an inconvenient truth that she’s too good for the show. Of course she makes the material work, but again we’re talking about Viola Davis and a show that many watch as camp or a tween soap mainly focusing on the actors they find attractive.
        I just can see why there would be some caution when it comes to her association to the show. It’s not as if ABC would mind though. I don’t think there is a TV lead enjoying as much attention as Viola, even if for other projects, which indirectly still serves as promotion for the show.

• Superwoman says:

Viola made history becoming the first woman of color to win the Emmy for best actress in a drama series….if her team now consider that very same TV role as ‘slumming it’, then she should fire the whole lot!
      In other words…it’s not Viola!

• Jakay says:

Viola has been doing TV forever. Since Without a Trace at least. And she has always been gracious and open with the press for both TV and movies.

• matty says:

Viola Davis was not on Without A Trace. That was Marianne Jean Baptiste. However, Viola did have previous TV roles on the less successful TV shows “City of Angels” and “Traveler”, plus a role on “United States of Tara.”

20. Garbo says:

It’s probably Reese Witherspoon whose reps are being dicks about TV outlets. I’m guessing Kidman is the other A-list movie actress on the top of the list of possibilities, but she has done television in the past (her Emmy-nominated work in Hemingway & Gellhorn) and will do it soon after Big Little Lies again (Top of the Lake), so I’m guessing her reps are cool with the concept.

• ravynrobyn says:

Yeah, I really believe that it’s Reese “DON’T YOU KNOW WHO i AM?!?” Witherspoon, Even though she’s doing tv, I can imagine that she feels like she’s “slumming” and made her feelings known to her reps. I don’t hate RW, it’s just my humble opinion!

21. JJ in NJ says:

Does J.Lo qualify as an A-List actress?

22. Brian says:

It is most likely Reese Witherspoon. Emma sSone for the upcoming Maniac is also coming to mind, but that’s likely too far away to be what this is talking about.

23. Grey says:

Will Neve Campbell be back on House of Cards?

24. Eran says:

Am I the only one thinking Susan Sarandon? ‘Feud’ is weeks away from premiering and I for one have not seen her give so much as an interview clip.

25. Lindsey says:

I have to think the A list actress is Julia Roberts. Based on this article from TVline.

26. Art says:

Ooh, I’m intrigued by the SPN spoiler. If it’s a new iteration of Cas, that rules out anything he’s been before: human, evil, female. I heard a rumor from a con recently that we would see Cas at more than full power, so what if he somehow siphons off energy from the nephilim and becomes an archangel or something?

In any case, Misha always does a fantastic job of playing his different iterations, so I can’t wait to see!

27. Jared says:

I wonder if the A List actress is Uma Thurman ,if I remember correctly is appearing on a show on Bravo?

28. Maretteak says:

I think it’s Emma stone. Her Netflix show is due soon

29. Saabstory says:

I feel like I’ve read interviews with Reese and Nicole in promotion of Big Little Lies. But nothing from Shailene Woodley, who snarked that she wouldn’t be a part of Divergent if it was on TV. So makes sense that her reps wouldn’t be putting her up for interviews for Big Little, which is on….TV!

• Penny says:

Except that shailene has already done interviews for the show, started on TV (for several years) and only said she didn’t want Divergent on TV because she signed up for 4 movies and wanted the original contract honored.

30. Lauren says:

I am also so over Bay and Emmett on Switched@Birth. I really want for her and Travis to end the series together but I know it’s not going to happen.

31. Andrew says:

The bit about the “A-List actress” “slumming it” on TV sounds like a publicity stunt for Susan Sarandon.

Making everybody think she’s being a “diva” on set and creating problems for Jessica Lange just like Bette Davis did to Joan Crawford (and vice versa) when they filmed What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

They’re just trying to drum up interest for the show by making it look like an actual feud is mirroring the one that occurred when the actress filmed that project together.

It has to be a joke. If Sarandon was so unhappy about being involved with the project, she wouldn’t have agreed to do it.

32. Stacy says:

I’m agape. Lauren Graham? Emmy? And you’re making me BEG? Fine. Only for you, Ausiello.

33. Katie says:

So I’m guessing that’s a no on an emmy nom for Lauren Graham…

34. kmw says:

The “A” list actress has to be Reese Witherspoon. I haven’t seen her give an interview ” exclusively ” to a television only outfit She is hardly the sweetheart that some have made her out to be and it wouldn’t be surprising that her agents thinks she is ” slumming”. This just is incredible arrogance whoever it is on the part of the agents because in my opinion television is far ahead in quality over the movies being made

35. matty says:

The blind item about the “A-List Actress” sounds like one of the stars of HBO’s “Big Little Lies”, my guess is Nicole Kidman to be honest.

36. Emily says:

Please, please, please write the Lauren Graham Emmy piece!!

37. Marc says:

So, Mike, This Is Us fans shouldn’t watch every episode several times and in slow motion to look for clues? It’s not the reincarnation of Lost?

38. Rose says:

I really would love it if Pure Genus ! Be brought back …. there are so many dum sitcoms and shows out there ! But when a really good show comes on especially with a hospital that really cares to heal you and the lengths these doctors go to save a patient , have a box of Kleenex with me whether happy or sad this show touches you and love the medical gadgets and all the actors ….. please bring it back

39. Bev says:

Write the darn Emmy story, Mike.

40. Mark says:

I have a question that everybody seems to be avioding on the Big Bang Theory with Season 11 still not confirmed and looking more and more unlikly due to wage demands. With Season 10 winding down quickly have the showrunners got a series end in mind that ties everything up?? Or after a decade are the fans going to be left hanging….

41. ragnar51 says:

I hace a question, what’s up with Kate/Mr.Kaplan on Blacklist?? Is she ever coming back?

42. jk says:

Paget Brewster as Max’s mother. Its CBS, she can do both as it is probably limited episodes.

43. regs says:

Big Jaha fan? are you serious? he is terrible with his over acting all the time

44. Jaimy says:

They need to kill Barba on SVU asap!!! Hate that chipmunky looking squirrel.

45. Virgil says:

Fran….please put the remote down and slowly move away from your TV.

46. Bridget Falk says:

My theory on This is Us is that Kate somehow feels responsible for her father’s death and that maybe her mother blames her a bit too. A couple of episodes back, Jack made a comment about how he could always make Kate feel better (the birthday episode) and in the present day parts of that episode there were references that the kids had about not liking/afraid of flying. So maybe Jack was flying to see Kate and the plane crashed. Alternatively, maybe he died in a car crash going to pick Kate up from somewhere where she was upset – others making fun of her or something – and now she blames herself for his death.

47. South says:

I keep picturing Katey Sagal in her whole “Peg Bundy” get up as Max’s mom on 2BG. She can play trashy but still come across as funny like few others can.

48. taylorrness says:

WRITE THE LAUREN GRAHAM STORY!!!! PLEASE??????

and as for the A list actor, it’s gotta be one of the ladies from Big Little Lies, right?