Shadowhunters Spoilers

Shadowhunters Returns: What You Will (and Won't) See in Revamped Season 2

Change is the name of the game, both in story and style, when Shadowhunters returns for its second season on Monday (Freeform, 8/7c).

Sure, it still spins the tale of a fiery-haired young woman coming to terms with her new life as an angelic demon slayer — the action, more or less, picks up exactly where last season’s finale left off — but with a new behind-the-scenes team at the helm, things will play out a little differently than you might expect.

TVLine spoke with new showrunner Darren Swimmer, executive producer Matt Hastings and star Dominic Sherwood for the scoop on what’s to come, including some of the major changes you’re bound to notice:

* One of the first visual changes fans will notice is the re-vamped portal system: “We imagined something more liquid, almost like a whirlpool you jump through,” Swimmer says. “We took creative license to say, ‘Even if they looked a certain way in Season 1, here’s how they’re going to look now.”

* Simon’s vampire moves have also been given an upgrade: “The physical part of it, the way he moves around, we’ve improved,” Hastings says. “There’s a joy in seeing Simon continue to discover his powers. He’s in the driver’s seat, and you’re the passenger watching his journey unfold.”

* Fans can expect a surprising amount of backlash following Alec and Magnus’ wedding-stopping kiss. “They were forced to bring their relationship to another level, because only because they wanted to prevent Alec from getting married,” Swimmer acknowledges. “In some ways, they were jumpstarted to a place where they might not naturally have gotten. This season is about them knowing they belong together, but not knowing where to take their relationship from here.”

* Those violent trailers don’t lie: “Episodes 1 through 5 is just a cacophony of Jace getting his ass handed to him,” Sherwood says. “Every time you think he’s going to catch a break… he just doesn’t.”

* Jace is “kind of Jack Bauer-ing his way through the first half of the season,” Sherwood reveals about his character’s questionable allegiance to Valentine. “There are things he needs to get done, and he’s willing to make whatever sacrifices he has to.” #JaceBauer

* That said, Jace giving himself to the dark side is “an absolute threat,” Sherwood assures us. “That’s why everyone is so desperate to get him back. We’ve seen throughout history that some of the darkest leaders are often the most charismatic — people want to follow them. That’s sort of the case with Valentine.”

* As for Jace’s relationship with possible-sister Clary, Sherwood admits it’s “always in the forefront of his mind. He’s still feeling feelings he knows he shouldn’t be feeling. It’s not correct for him to be experiencing this. But we just finished Episode 10, and that hasn’t even really been looked at as of yet.”

* Lastly, although we still have some time to kill before Sebastian — a major character in Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments books — arrives in the second half of the season, Swimmer promises he’ll be a “charming character with a dark side. … Any further details about how Sebastian emerges on the show, and what kind of character he is, we want to keep close to the vest for now.”

Your hopes for Shadowhunters‘ second season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Alec says:

Can’t wait!

2. Ian says:

So much handsome!

3. Liam says:

Is this show worth watching? I dropped it halfway through season one, but all these previews are making me consider checking it out again…

4. Jenny says:

I really hope to see Simon and Izzy relationship coming very close and intimate which will lead to their own romance Sizzy

• Paula Burke says:

I suspect that her recent need for vampire blood can play a future role. I would like to see Simon eventually be with Izzy true to books.

5. Carol Sylvester says:

As long as the generically stick to the books I will watch. True blood was great till the totally strayed from books. I don’t mind changes as long as the direction stays same.

6. Carrie says:

This show needs a major overhaul. The first season was terrible. Acting, dialogue, visual effects. All very bad.

• Daisy F. says:

I couldn’t agree more! I stuck with it through season 1, but it was so bad I deleted my season pass and am not planning on watching season 2. The fact that they have new showrunners make me want to tune in, but I think I’m going to stick to my guns and not watch. Too little, too late I think.

7. jpriceless4 says:

As a fan of the books, this series is an incredible disappointment. You have an incredible cast being wasted in inferior and probably irredeemable storylines.

8. Eliza says:

Why do they have to kill Jonathan (sebastian)! He’s my favourite character.

9. mallorie laine mccollough says:

is clary and jace really brother and sister

10. Morguese says:

the season 2 premiere was bad, its was way too predictable and i haven’t even read the book or whatever.
    the whole plot seems to hinge on the characters stupidity, and making mistakes en masse and not learning anything, i mean jesus, they’re not even proper shadowhunters, yet somehow manage to win always when it’s necessary for the plot or they would die.

11. Eli says:

The only thing that attract me to this series is malec… I just love malec and their relationship as a witch and shadowhunter

12. Rhenae Hilliard says:

I LOVE BEING ABLE TO READ AND CATCH UP ON WHAT I HAVE MISSED OF SHADOWHUNTERS AND GET A SEMI GLIMPSE OF WHAT IS TO COME…. CAN’T WAIT FOR MONDAYS ANYMORE LOL

13. T.J says:

Hopefully they don’t kill off Raphael like in the books. His tv character is much more likeable and has more depth than in the books. Please don’t kill him off.

14. I’ve never read the books but i love the show. I could tell that Jace and clary are not really brother and sister. I can’t wait for Mondays.

15. Seantay says:

Omg I so hope clary and jace end up together they belong together if they don’t I’m done with the show and as for Alaric and Magnus I hope they make it work there to cute

16. Qiana Michelle Cloud says:

Please put Jace and Clary back together! Please Please!

• Tammy L. McMullen says:

agree totally!!!!!!

• Paula Burke says:

Jace and Clary are the true partnership that molds the story. Simon is great but he is her best friend and she is going to need both in her life. If you have read the books Jace and Clary have a strong bond. Sebastian will bring this to the forefront. Bring on Sebastian he is a great protagonist for the second half of season two. It is vital his story plays out or the show will lose ratings.

17. Tammy L. McMullen says:

I want more Jace and Clary story development in the positive. Let Jace find out he isn’t Clary’s brother so they can be together. Let them BOTH AND TOGETHER kill Valentine.

18. Sam says:

Too be honest the show is good, not quite like the book but close. It is way better than the movie mortal instruments… confused on how some events are going to happen; ie. Stuff with clarys mom since they killed her off,in the book she doesnt die. (Dont want to spoil what it is just in case some people havent read the book).

19. Jaimie Brown says:

Everyone loves Clace

Put them back together please!!!!

20. Rebecca Dennis says:

Keep surprising us!! Loved the books and now the show as well.

21. Eliana says:

I love the turn this season has taken. I would love to see the seelie queen, and the jace clary kiss on the seelie court. Maybe we’ll get to see idris? I don’t mind that its different from the books it’s sort of like fanfic. Very original. The show always ends with a cliff hanger which just has you begging for Monday to hurry up already.

• Paula Burke says:

The seelie court scene with the queen is the transition that the Clace fans are waiting for. Hang in there and let us hope the writers get this right. Delays … Delays….

22. Coni says:

Love the show, actor are getting really great. I’ve read all of cassandra Clare’s books and I loved them. I’ve watched the one movie really liked it. But I really love this show. Great job being done by everyone involved in the wonder series. Thanks

• gabbyvalentino2015 says:

Yes I agree! I never could get into the books but the story the were telling in season one was so good I was able to over look the not so great acting. They are definitely growing into their acting skills as this season unfolded.

23. Amanda says:

Hurry up and get Clary & Jace back together, not as sister and brother! The teenage angst is getting old. So much better when their hormones are raging.

24. Alexandra says:

I really like the twist turning relationship with clary and jace about them being related but now I realize they have a chance at getting back together plz. Get them back together they have A really good relationship and I love this show but I want them together because valentine was right clary and jace were meant to be together .

25. Alexandra says:

I really like the twist turning relationship with jace and clary about them supposedly being related . But now that I know they are not related they can rebuild there relationship. I really love this show and I loved the relationship that clary had with jace and I want them back together . Valentine was right clary and jace were meant to be together .

26. Ciera says:

In this season I hope Jace and Clary will get back together. I mean I love Simon. But Simon and Clary just don’t belong together. I think Simon should be with Isabelle.

• #clase says:

Exactly I mean I Isabelle and Simon belong together and Jace and Clary is a mission to complete they complete each other

27. #clase says:

I want Jace and Clary together #Clase me and my friend is arguing over is Clary going to be with Jace or Simon even tho she with him now we want to know if she going to stay with him or go to Jace

28. Jiani Olomua says:

Ok so..
    1) they ain’t siblings
    2) jace joined valentine
    3) Clary ends up with Simon
    4)Then here comes jace and maia
    My response:
    What the hell maia. Jace you started it.