greys anatomy season 13 episode 9 kevin mckidd interview

Grey's Anatomy Fall Finale Preview: Kevin McKidd Talks Megan's Impact on Owen/Nathan's Reigniting Bromance

Although the promos for the fall finale of Grey’s Anatomy promise “nothin’ but bombshells,” it’s a comparatively quiet development that could end up having the longest-lasting impact on the ABC drama. At last, “Owen and Nathan’s relationship is starting to thaw,” Kevin McKidd tells TVLine. “They’re not fully friends again yet, but after the episode where they were with the baby [Harriet] together and that kinda stuff, they’ve just naturally started to reignite that friendship.”

In Thursday’s episode “You Haven’t Done Nothin'” (8/7c), working side by side after a building collapse further breaks the tension between the once-and-possibly-future besties. Owen even finds himself “confiding in Nathan about his concerns about Amelia and his life,” McKidd previews. “It’s a really great development to see, especially because Owen has had an axe to grind with him for so long. We’re finally beginning to get a sense of what their friendship was.”

And it’s all thanks to last week’s bottle episode, in which Owen conjured up visions of Megan, the beloved sister to whom his pal had been unfaithful. “Her trying to let Owen off the hook and say ‘You can let me go’ was, psychologically, so important for him,” McKidd suggests. “That’s why we’re now starting to see these initial steps in [the guys’ renewed] friendship.”

We’re also starting to see what the actor’s real-life relationship is like with co-star Martin Henderson. “We’ve gotten along great since the first day,” McKidd says, “but we had to play this me-hating-him thing. It was kind of getting to the point where I was like, ‘Why do I always have to be in a bad mood when this guy’s in the room?’ So it’s nice to be getting into an arena that plays more like the dynamic we have off camera.”

As influential as Megan was in just one installment, don’t expect her to reappear to facilitate any more male bonding — not anytime soon, anyway. Though McKidd calls Bridget Regan, who played his sib, “the coolest person,” she won’t be returning “for the time being.

“I’m not saying that that will be forever,” he hastens to add, “but for the time being, no, we will not be seeing her.”

So, Grey’s fans, what are you hoping to see in Season 13’s fall finale? Hit the comments.

1. Wordsmith says:

I’m still betting that Megan pops up again by the end of this season. Lulling us into a false sense of one-and-done, and then springing her on us (alive after all!) in the finale seems like a plausible move for Shonda & Co.

• Wordsmith says:

That being said, they’ll definitely want to develop the Owen/Nathan and Owen/Amelia plotlines significantly in the meantime in order to get the most bang for their buck when they drop this bombshell.

2. She’ll come back exactly when Meredith finally accepts Nathan into her life, decides she’s ready for someone knew and conflict with Maggie is at least partially resolved. That’s as obvious as it gets.

• Larc says:

I think you’re right. They won’t bring her back unless/until her return can throw a monkey wrench into something.

• Jamie says:

Which is sad because that sounds like a rehash of Addie popping in for the first time back in season 1. Obviously, the circumstances are different, but Nathan will undoubtedly want to rekindle his relationship with Megan, which puts Mer back in the pretending not to pine after the guy she just decided to trust but has another woman situation that she was in during season 2 with Derek.

3. Stacy says:

Bridget Regan is filming The Last Ship, not uncoincidentally with ex-Grey’s star Eric Dane. My suspicion is Grey’s will snatch her up when she’s free there. Probably around the time Owen/Riggs & Mer/Riggs are all on better footing. At least I’m hoping they snatch her up!

4. Leo Berry says:

They need to bring her back, I love her already

5. Lynn says:

I want to see Alex get out of trouble.Id like to see him not get back with Jo, she’s not nice. I’d like to see Kepner and old blue eyes get back together.

6. Antwon303 says:

I could careless about Owen. He’s my least favorite character on the show. Just FYI…it’s not the fall finale…its the winter finale.

7. L.Nanud says:

GRAY’S ANATOMY FINALE?? Midseason, Really??….the show just got started.
    This is ridiculous! I love this show, but it seems it is OFF AIR more than it is ON AIR.
    Seems TV Seasons are getting shorter and shorter. Great entertainment but seasons are just too short for us who love of the show. Not like the good ole days. :0(

• Jamie says:

They won’t have a shorter season – they ordered 24 episodes this season. Seems like they’ll just have a longer run/less breaks when they return in 2017.

• E. D. Boddy says:

This isn’t a whole lot different from what networks used to do. Shows would either go into reruns (or get pre-empted for specials) in December. Now they call attention to it with these labels, getting the extra attention associated with “midseason finales” and “winter (or spring) premieres.”

• Anna Karima says:

I have to agree here. The show is boring me to sleep this season. Just not worth the watch anymore.

• LaDonna says:

Honestly, I’m really OK with this right now. I’ve had such a busy fall, my DVR is bursting with shows that I’m behind on! Grey’s Anatomy is just one of my must-watch shows that I always stay caught up with.

8. maria hixon says:

Karev and merith get together

9. Terri Matz says:

Japril!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! back together !!!!!!!!!

10. Teri says:

When will Grey and Scandal return to tv. What happened? Why is it taking so long. Zero interest in current ABC lineup. And I know I am not the only one.