NCIS LA Ratings

Ratings: NCIS: LA Strong in Sunday Debut; ABC Slate Slides vs. Year Ago

CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles christened its new time slot on Sunday with 10.3 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating (per finals), marking its best numbers since Jan. 18 and Feb. 8.

The double-episode premiere was up from both the procedural’s previous (Monday) opener (7.9 mil/1.2) and its May finale (8.1 mil/1.3). For further reference, Madam Secretary did 11.8 mil and a 1.4 in the time slot a year ago, while its May finale scored 10 mil and a 1.0.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Once Upon a Time returned to 4 mil and a 1.3, down 32 and 28 percent versus a year ago but up a tick from its May finale; TVLine readers gave the Season 6 starter an average grade of “B.” Season 2 of Secrets and Lies came off the dusty shelf to 4.1 mil/1.0 (and a “B+” grade), down 40 percent from Blood & Oil’s year-ago launch in the time slot yet improving on The Family’s freshman finale (3.3 mil/0.8) and giving ABC its best scripted numbers in the time slot since Nov. 15. At 10 pm, Quantico (3.6 mil/1.0, “B” grade) did about half of its series debut numbers, while on par with its freshman finale.

FOX | Bob’s Burgers did 2.6 mil/1.1) matched its finale; The Simpsons (3.4 mil/1.4) and Family Guy (2.8 mil/1.3) improved on their finales, Son of Zorn (2.7 mil/1.1) dropped more than half of its post-football preview numbers and Last Man on Earth (2.2 mil/0.9) dropped sharply versus its previous premiere but matched its finale.

NBC | Sunday Night Football (20.6 mil/7.6) dipped from last week’s finals.

1. joe says:

Secrets and lies was good, they need to switch to Thursday at 9 and quantico should have never been renewed ( the story line is pretty limited)

2. GraceM says:

I guess people aren’t watching TV yet. Ratings might improve once colder weather gets here.

3. Iakovos says:

ABC needs some Sunday help. ONCE is done, I think. SECRETS & LIES 2.0 must not be great if it languished on the ABC bench for a year. QUANTICO had such promise and lost its way in the molasses of convoluted stories and over-the-top Shondaland-like twists. Agree with (a smart) Joe that QUANTICO should move to 9 or 10 PM Thursdays ASAP and let NOTORIOUS go. CBS will always be deviled by those damn sports overruns.

• georgee says:

NCIS LA was really good last night, I was happy to see that the show runners in this show had enough talent to write in a kick ass pregnant lead, that was something that Hawley could not do in Castle. I wish they would have left at it 10 pm spot on Monday night, now that ABC has nothing to offer.It is to bad bad ABC fired Katic over budget cuts, they might want to do some cost trimming in Modern Family, lead actress makes 43 mil per season, make Katic 12 mil look small.

• hatecommercials says:

If you’re referring to Modern Family’s Sofia, most of her money comes from endorsement and licensing deals, and not from her role as Gloria.

• Butch says:

People have been saying that about Once since Season 2 and it is still on the air. I guess ABC didn’t hear you. I am surprised that since they have now completed 5 seasons that it has not been syndicated to a cable or local station. Seems ot would be a good fit for mornings on TNT or whatever they call ABC Family these days.

• Nero tTVfiddler says:

Interesting thought about moving Quantico to Thursday at 9pm, or 10pm (slotting HTGAWM) to 9pm. We’ll certainly know more once this Thursday night’s numbers come out on Friday regarding Notorious.

One caveat – that 9pm Thursday slot will eventually go to Scandal once it returns in winter/spring, so a move of Quantico to Thursday (at any time slot) would only be temporary. The Catch will get the HTGAWM hiatus 10pm slot in winter. ABC also has another Shondaland series, Still Star-Crossed, which I assume will get a temporary Thursday slot sometime in Spring.

Quantico should move, but where? ABC’s 10pm Wednesday slot is now solved (Designated Survivor), which leaves 10pm Monday as the only other option, depending upon Conviction’s performance this fall. If Quantico cannot make a go of it at Sunday at 10pm, it could be problematic for both the series and for ABC. New series Time After Time is planned to be in that 9pm Sunday slot once Secrets&Lies completes its episode order (winter season).

4. Baredzo dobry wpis . Zajrzałem Twoją stronę przypadkiem,
    ale teraz wiem , że zacznę tu zaglądać o wiele częściej.

Zapraszam do odwiedzin mojego sklepu internetowego
    tablice nna elewacje

5. Boiler says:

Yet ABC had no place for a retooled Nashville which seems to be getting positive comments from the actors. In general it performed better in viewers than any of the shows last night and demos in the same ballpark as the 2 later shows. The only wildcard in judging is football

6. njartist says:

I am glad that NCIS LA has gotten off to a very good start for season 8. It seems that
    CBS is still interested in the show. They aired lots of promos for the season opener.
    The first two episodes has set up the new season . It will be interesting to see
    where the story goes. First of all, who unleashed the DOD Under Secretary on the team?
    Where and how does director Vance fit into all of this? Why does the DOD official have
    such underlying disrespect for both Hetty & Vance? Who is the mole? Was the mole
    planted there to undermine Hetty? What will become of Kensi? It is apparent that
    due to the extent of her injuries that she has a very long road back. She mentioned to
    Deeks that she has spent her life helping people. So will that change and if so how does
    that impact their relationship? I like the fact that the writers shook things up this season
    with Hetty deciding to sacrifice herself and the fallout from the continuing plot around the
    mole plus the new Kensi/Deeks subplot. There are three NCIS shows and so far NCIS
    LA has been my favorite. I would like to see some more crossovers between the shows.

7. I know Vance is on the parent show but dang last night would have been the perfect excuse to have Rocky Caroll guest star

• Larc says:

Maybe Vance will show up in DC while Hetty is there. I can hardly wait to see what she has cooked up. Her seeming to throw in the towel and subsequently claiming she’s the mole both go along with her talent for putting everybody off balance in the wrong direction and then striking like a rattlesnake.

8. Anthony C says:

I used to love watching television live, especially ABC and CBS, until the endless pop-ups, banners, countdown time clocks, next up or coming up promotions and other distracting graphics started appearing. ABC is the absolute worst violator. I don’t bother watching any of their programs live or even on my DVR. I wait until eight days have passed since the original airing so that I can watch the program in peace (plus without many commercials). Maybe I am in the minority, but with the increased amount of subscriptions to streaming services, I would suggest that all the annoying graphics of broadcast and cable television is having an adverse effect on viewership and ratings. Totally unrelated though is that “Quantico” never answered the major continuity error in its first season as to how Natalie graduated from training in enough time to be on staff at the FBI by the time the first bomb in the series premiere/pilot blew up. Lastly, I have also stopped watching all Shondaland programs, because her characters are all selfish, despicable and repulsive in their words and actions.

9. gm says:

I’m not surprised that even a premiere couldn’t get Once’s ratings up. The show is absolutely dismal. I can only hope this is its last year.

10. Once Upon a Time I Watched Sunday TV says:

Chiming in with a few other viewers, I’m not surprised at “Once”‘s drop in the ratings since season five premiered. I think too many people (like myself) became frustrated with the show’s squandering of potential. This used to be a fun show. I think it would have been better for it to have been a miniseries or have had a negotiated end date like “Lost” eventually had.

11. lsperling says:

NCIS:LA was very good except for the advertising every 7 minutes. What a pain that was.

12. cathy says:

Sunday night is a terrible time because of football games running over. I had it DVR’d and lost the last 15 minutes of it. Ughhhh,

• MMD says:

That’s why I usually watch Sunday shows on demand the next day (and make great use of the little button on my remote that skips commercials) or dvr on a Canadian station because the shows never start late because of football overruns or breaking news.

• Sharon says:

You did not miss much sorry. We have loved the show since it started. Hetty is always wonderful and has things under control. Don’t trust Doogan or his people, seemed liked the women kinda of stood out at the waterfront when waiting for that guy. We knew Daniella just had a baby hid her belly well and now gives her time off. This mole story went on all last season now the writers made this even more boring.

13. N says:

Loved Secrets and Lies

14. Peachy says:

“The Simpsons” was Fox’s highest rated show of the evening! Woo-hoo!

Long live “The Simpsons”!

15. Diane says:

Kudos to ncisla and the premiere. The cliffhangers and premieres were lacking for a while, but not last night. Helicopter crash was well done and so was the drone issue. I was rooting for all of the team.

16. jean says:

I love this show, NCIS Los Angeles, Keep Hetty Lang writers, get rid of this new guy don’t like him or his character. Keep the great shows coming and keep Hetty Lang!

17. Candace says:

Once upon a time was amazing last night

18. Candace says:

Zelena and the evil Queen was epic