Designated Survivor Ratings

Ratings: Designated Survivor Opens Strong, Doubles Nashville's Numbers

ABC’s Designated Survivor had the popular vote on Wednesday, debuting to 10 million total viewers and a 2.2 demo rating (per finals) — up sharply from Nashville‘s year-ago opener (4.9 mil/1.2) and doubling the CMT-bound musical-drama’s Season 4 average (4.2 mil/1.0).

All told, Dez gave ABC its best scripted numbers in the time slot in five and four years, respectively. TVLine readers gave the “accidental president” drama an average grade of  “B+.”

The night’s other big launch, Fox’s Lethal Weapon, drew 7.9 mil and a 2.2 (with a “B+” grade), on par with Rosewood‘s year-ago debut (7.5 mil/2.4) and improving on its freshman average (4.8 mil/1.3). Leading out of that, Empire returned to 10.9 mil and a 4.2 (and a “B” grade), down a good third from its previous premiere (16.2 mil/6.7) but up a tick vs. its May finale.

Elsewhere on Wednesday…

CBS | Survivor (9.5 mil/2.3) was down two tenths from its year-ago premiere, while Big Brother (6.3 mil/2.0) was off two tenths from its year-ago finale.

NBC | Blindspot (6 mil/1.3) slipped 14 percent and two tenths from last week’s AGT-boosted premiere, but improved (the demo, at least) on Mysteries of Laura‘s year-ago premiere (7.1 mil/1.2) and sophomore average (7 mil/1.1); it also matched Season 1’s final four Monday outings, where it had a Voice lead-in. SVU (7.7 mil/1.8, “B” grade) matched last year’s premiere and rose two tenths from its May finale. Chicago PD (6.9 mil/1.6, “A-” grade) was up from its finale but fell shy of its previous premiere.

ABC | Opening ABC’s night, The Goldbergs (6.8 mil/2.0) was off just a tenth from The Middle‘s year-ago premiere in the lead-off spot, while Speechless (7.3 mil/2.0, “B+” grade) debuted down 16 percent from The Goldbergs‘ year-ago 8:30 premiere. Modern Family (8.2 mil/2.6) and black-ish (6.4 mil/2.0, “B-” grade) were both down versus their previous premieres (3.2, 2.4), but up from their finales (2.1, 1.5).

1. Ray says:

Still don’t think Nashville should’ve been axed.

2. wrstlgirl says:

I knew Designated Survivor would be big. Keifer is a huge draw.

3. TheloNaGrapso says:

Granted the bar (doing better than Nashville after that many seasons) was not a huge one to get over.

4. TheloNaGrapso says:

I enjoy Blindspot but I can see the writing on the wall after the move to Wednesday at 8:00. Let them at least end this season and give them a heads up so they end the show how they want to.

5. kmw says:

Good start for Designated Survivor. I thought the show was great. Empire still rocks even with lower numbers. Lethal Weapon did what I expected and so did Blindspot. A bad move for that show. I fear their demo will also be near Laura’s numbers before long. SVU still very strong especially for how long its been on. Tonight’s numbers will also be interesting.

6. Kevin K says:

I’m going to be hooked on Designated Survivor.

7. Matt C. says:

Empire was so crazy last night! They really kicked off season 3 with a bang…

Can’t wait to check out Designated Survivor sometime this weekend. I haven’t gotten to watch the pilots of any of this season’s new shows, and it’s starting to irk me!

8. Patricia Thornton says:

Designated Survivor is definitely a 10 out of a 10 anything with Keifer in it is going to be good you don’t get no better I love the program I hope it runs for 10 years

9. Designated Survivor will become a major hit for ABC Great cast and young cast. Get your popcorn ready or Ice Cream and sit back and relax.

10. ReneCat says:

Designated Survivor exceeded my expectations and they were high because of the people involved! I LOVED it! Couldn’t sleep for a while we just kept talking about! Lethal Weapon totally surprised me because I was all set to hate it and instead really liked.

11. Doug Henning says:

a number of people I know who don’t watch much TV were watching Kiefer last night.. I also figured the +3 DVR ratings will be big..

12. CalebFillion says:

Loved the Designated Survivor pilot. Kiefer and Natascha McElhone have really good chemistry.

13. Fjd says:

Lethal weapon wasnt enough to get me to tune in next week. Designated survivor was a decent set up… Not crazy about the olbigatory family stuff to drag out the hour. Decent set up though.

14. James D says:

kind of surprised Lethal Weapon did that well, not the best numbers, but still better than I expected them to be. My suspicions about Blindspot turned out to be right – that time slot isn’t going to do them any favors i think.

15. Leanne says:

great show. A must see. Havent watched Empire yet.

16. Jayson says:

Jack Bauer as President. How can you go wrong?

17. Jared says:

Airing Blindspot at 8pm is gonna be the death of that show. I’m curious to see it’s L+3 ratings because the overnights look a little skimp🤔

18. Teresa says:

Don’t usually watch network TV. This is a good show.

19. Lucky the dog says:

Designated Survivor is a good show. They just need to trim the cliches. The moody teenager, adorable but useless little girl, the inexplicably hawkish general and the quirky assistant. I see potential in that female F.B.I agent but she’s flirting with the generic procedural cop archetype. Jack Bauer should keep doing what she’s doing. Can’t wait to see the first lady character slap him and tell him to man up.

20. Boiler says:

So NBC loses over 1M viewers from last year with Laura. I can’t see how a .1 increase in demo helps that at all. I didn’t watch Designated Survivor as I think the story will run out, just like Quantico. Maybe not here but ABC may wish they gave Nashville a chance with the new writers, probably instead of AOS. The vibe around the “new” Nashville seems great

21. liame says:

Don’t know if I can stick with it but I will give it a try. Not a Kiefer fan, never cared but Natashca from Californication is good and it’s fast paced which is a plus.

22. Amanda says:

I recorded Dez, have not watched it yet. I have not been a big fan of all these D.C. political dramas,usually too much left wing dogma. However, I did watch Lethal Weapon & loved it! I actually lol! I am more of a Grimm girl, but the acting was great, w/ Way and not over doing the comedy, which was what I was worried about.

23. Mom of 2 says:

Lethal Weapon was great! I was pleasantly surprised! No over acting and the characters, although sharing the same name as the originals, have their own identity. I hope this one lasts. I also enjoy Blindspot but we’ll see how the move works. I am also a big fan of Rosewood, and love the dynamics of this show. I guess I have a thing for cop shows…. LoL

24. Clara says:

So glad to hear Designated Survivor did good, I really liked it! Hope it continues to do well, so it won’t get canceled!

25. Laurie says:

Absolutely loved the first episode of Designated Survivor! Sutherland is awesome! Can’t wait for the next episode, and I don’t say that very often about new shows!

26. Gwen Loomis says:

I think it was a mistake for NBC to move “Blindspot” to 8 p.m.