Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Once, Grey's, Walking Dead, Supernatural, Legends, Suits, TVD, Blindspot and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Will Once Upon a Time pick up right where they left off in the finale (like, is it the next day after Jekyll and Hyde come to town)? Or will there be a few weeks where the town is normal — the “calm before the storm,” so to speak? — Shannon
Ausiello: The answer is A) not the next day nor B) weeks later but C), Season 6 will open just moments after Hyde arrived in Storybrooke and ominously greeted Regina. From there, says co-creator Adam Horowitz, “What the Untold Stories characters are, what their whole deal is, is something we’ll explore.”

Question: I am really excited for the next season of Once Upon a Time, and my question is: What new characters will we meet besides Hyde? — Iris
Ausiello: In addition to the previously scooped Sinbad and Scheherazade, the ABC series is casting for the premiere the role of Morpheus, as in the Greek god of dreams (versus, you know, Laurence Fishburne in The Matrix). He is described as “an old soul in a young body,” someone who is equally good at reading people as he is at hiding his own agenda.

Question: Hello, longtime follower of yours. I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan and was hoping you might have some new and juicy revival information. At the very least maybe a release date? Thanks a ton. — Amy
Ausiello: Unconfirmed reports put the revival’s release at either the Tuesday before or the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I have no idea if either date is true, but the former makes a lot more sense than the latter. I mean, why would Netflix drop the four movie-lets at the end of a four-day weekend versus at the start? Of course, none of this really impacts me since I’ve already seen them all. I’ve also already read the Game of Thrones Season 7 premiere script and glimpsed the first 14 minutes of Star Wars: Episode VIII: Fall of the Resistance, so I think we can all agree I’ve come a long way since interning at As the World Turns.

Question: I just binge-watched all six seasons of The Walking Dead and now I’m going through withdrawal. Do you have any scoop? Any at all? — Jon
Ausiello: Isn’t asking if I have scoop like asking a walker if you look tasty? The answer is always yes! Episode 6 will introduce two new characters who don’t sound to me like anyone in particular from the comic-book series. (Correct me if I’m wrong — and we both know you will.) Naomi is a grandmotherly type who, having lost so many loved ones, is now willing to do whatever it takes not to have to bury any more. (Maybe she’s being introduced to counsel Carol about the awful necessities of the post-apocalyptic world… ) On the flip side is Jennie, a sunny-side-up kinda teenager — oh, Caaarl! — who sounds a lot like Beth 2.0, “kind, with a world-weary toughness.”

Emily-Bett-Rickards-and-Echo-Kellum-as-Curtis-Holt-in-Arrow-season-4Question: Do you have any scoop about Arrow? —James
Ausiello: If you’re wondering how Curtis will play a larger role in Season 5 — now that Echo Kellum is a series regular — but without duplicating Felicity’s efforts, Wendy Mericle laid out the difference for us. “Essentially, if she’s software, he’s hardware,” the EP explained. “As he evolves into becoming Mr. Terrific in Season 5, one of the things we’re really exploring is differentiating them by having Curtis be more like Cisco on The Flash. We want him to be a bit more hands-on, a little more about building physical tech.”

Question: Any Vampire Diaries scoop? Dying to know what we should be calling that thing that turned Damon and Enzo evil. –Jake
Ausiello:
Wouldn’t we all, Jake? I can’t give you that information right now — it’s locked up in the vault, so to speak — but I can tell you about a new face we’ll be meeting in the first episode of Season 8. The show is currently casting the recurring role of Sybil, “an immortal who uses her immeasurable power and influence to control other people, manipulating them into twisted games and tests for her own amusement and glorification.” Time will tell whether she proves to be a friend or foe, but given this show’s penchant for sympathetic villains, it could also be fair to assume she’ll be a bit of both.

Question: I will take anything you can give me on the Outlander finale. —Vivian
Ausiello: Pretty much every scene of the finale contains a spoiler, but I can tell you that you will meet Roger and Brianna very soon after the extended episode begins, and that Richard Rankin and Sophie Skelton don’t disappoint in the series-crucial roles.

SARAH DREW, JESSE WILLIAMSQuestion: Any chance the baby will bring Grey’s Anatomy’s “Japril” back together next season? —Kimberly
Ausiello: There’s always a chance, Jesse Williams recently told TVLine’s Vlada Gelman. But “it’s day to day with Jackson and April. They can have a very civil, mature conversation one moment, then be at each other’s throats [the next], because real life is like that. We carry frustrations and baggage and grudges.” And at the same time, the underlying attraction isn’t diminished. So the exes “can fight and then have sex in the same scene,” the actor laughs. “It’s a very passionate relationship with a lot of history behind it.” Whether it also has a future in front of it remains a big ol’ question mark.

Question: Do you have any scoop on Supernatural Season 12? —Tyana
Ausiello: You mean this wasn’t enough?! Um… the Oct. 13 Andrew Dabb-penned premiere is titled, “Keep Calm and Carry On.”

Question: Will we see Rick (Luke Macfarlane) on the third season of The Night Shift? I need to see him with Drew, not just hear his name dropped every now and again! —Valentina
Ausiello: Affirmative. Macfarlane reprises his role for several episodes beginning Aug. 3, when Rick and Drew attempt to adopt a 14-year-old patient who has spent much of his young life in and out of foster care.

Question: Is this the season that Suits fans finally get to see some romantic Donna/Harvey action? —Lori
Ausiello: With Mike having just set foot in prison and the firm’s partners working OT to keep the lights on at Pearson Specter Litt in the wake of the mass exodus, “We’re not going to dig too much into emotions between [Donna and Harvey],” Sarah Rafferty told Matt Mitovich at the Season 6 premiere event. “They’re really busy working s—t out, and they’re not going to have their confusing relationship status get in the way of their goals.” Cupid’s arrow might find its way to Louis, however, and when it does…. “I have always said that if I need a wingman, I would pick Donna,” Rafferty smiles. “She’s the superhero of wingmen, so she gets to put on her cape and help him out.”

Penny Dreadful Cancelled Season 4Question: Do you know the name of the song that was sung over the opening credits of Penny Dreadful‘s series (sniff) finale? It was beautiful. —Holly
Ausiello: It was called “A Prayer” and it was written by Tony-winning composer Tom Kitt specifically for that change-of-pace opening title sequence. “I wanted to signal to [viewers] that the episode was going to be a little different,” series creator John Logan explains. “It also foreshadowed [the theme of the] episode, which is ascension to heaven and finding peace with God.” But even more than that, the song was intended as a valentine to the show’s loyal, passionate fans. “I feel a great sense of responsibility to the fans, because I’m a huge genre fan and I’m a huge horror fan,” he notes. “And I think we’ve treated them with affection and respect all the way along.”

Question: Anything on Blindspot? —Monika
Ausiello: In Season 2, we will See. Jane. Shrink. The NBC drama, which wisely just snatched Archie Panjabi off the open market, is looking for an actress age 9 to 11 to play “Young Jane” in a series of flashback sequences to be spread out over the course of the season. Producers are specifically looking for candidates who possess a background in gymnastics or martial arts and can execute a flawless South African accent and look like a miniature Jaimie Alexander. Easy peasy!

Question: I love Preacher (the comic and now TV show), and I remember Elizabeth Perkins and Lucas Neff being cast as members of the Quinncannon family — but I haven’t heard or seen anything with them. Are they still on the show? — Chris
Ausiello: As you have perhaps surmised by now, the AMC series wound up going in a different creative direction with regard to those characters, so no, they are not currently being featured.

Question: Any updates on How to Get Away With Murder? Wondering if they are going to add any new people, or what Frank’s status is. —Cathy
Ausiello: Annalise Keating may soon come under scrutiny for her unorthodox teaching methods: The Shondaland thriller will introduce the “self-assured, friendly and warm” president of a university for a major Season 3 recurring arc.

This AAnd That…
Look for the Legends of Tomorrow crew to cross paths with a circa-1942 Albert Einstein in Season 2, but they’re disillusioned to discover that the legendary scientist is a snarky, brusque skirt-chaser. Needless to say, he proves to be quite a handful when they attempt to save his life.
I’ve never been a big Game of Thrones fan — while I admired the scope and spectacle but felt detached from the characters and emotional stakes — but even I was wowed by Sunday’s sensational, satisfying season finale. I still maintain that Penny Dreadful and Bates Motel are superior series though.
Speaking of Penny Dreadful, anyone else suspect we’re not getting the whole story about the show’s abrupt demise?

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Charlie Mason, Andy Swift, Kim Roots and Vlada Gelman)

1. marydspain says:

What about Steroline? :(

2. Gul says:

Japril reunion for season 13.

3. JCPrime1 says:

Was there going to be a Flash scoop? Thanks. :)

4. Chris says:

Ahhh that was my Preacher question! I can’t believe I got answered! Thank you so much. You’re the best!

5. Wordsmith says:

Completely agree about that last “This AAnd That” bullet point – The official Penny Dreadful wrap-up rationale smells strongly of PR spin, and there’s still just so much story left to tell.

• Annie Sisk says:

Yes. Same here. While the ending was probably the only way the show *could* end, I cannot believe it was planned to end as *soon* as it did. It just feels … weird. Off, somehow.

6. Angela says:

Ooh, Annalise getting scrutinized should be interesting. Especially given the crazy cover ups she’s been a part of or orchestrated thus far. I’d be very interested to see that play out…though if this president is “friendly and warm”, maybe it won’t take much for her to open up to them a little?

7. Lizzie says:

Yay some Felicity scoop. Thank so much!

8. On Once Upon A Time how many characters this season will suffer from unexplained, magically induced memory loss? Has there been a storyline on this show where they haven’t trotted this out? Will this be the 1st season without it?

• Hank Voight says:

All the memory loss on OUAT I’m half expecting a hang over type episode.

• LindseyF says:

I’d love to believe it but the writers love curses and memory loss. Regina as the EQ cast the first curse that caused everyone to lose their memories. The EQ clone will appear this season, so that’s not reassuring. I didn’t think they’d do one for season 5, but then the premiere happened and yep, they went there again. I can totally see them doing it again.

9. Luis says:

Watched all of :Gilmore Girls?” Read GOT’s S7 premiere script? Saw the first 14 minutes of Episode 8? Michael, what are you doing here with the hoi polloi? Why haven’t you taken your seat on the Grand Council of the Illuminati yet?

10. Lynn says:

Detached from the GOT characters? I just started watching this season. I have HBO but was never interested. People kept saying how good it is so I watched the season premiere knowing nothing about it. Even with a lot of characters and storylines going on it was the characters that drew me in and even though I didn’t know most of what was going on I thought that was really good. I have since gone back and watched the previous seasons and to me it’s one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

• Leslee says:

Same. I just binged watch the whole series and the characters are easy to get attached to. One the best tv shows I’ve ever seen imo.

11. Lidia says:

Just what OUAT needs, more guests and testosterone. Hard to believe there was ever a time that show was about women.

• LADY_in_MD says:

I thought the show was about fairytale characters? Plus two out of the four main woman leads were pregnant last year and one of the roles they are currently looking for is a woman…

• LindseyF says:

The show has ALWAYS had guests. It keeps the plot moving. There were more characters in season 1 than any other season. Emma and Regina are the ones that have consistently gotten the most screentime, Ginnifer before she had babies. Do you just hate men or…..?

12. The Kaibosh says:

Regarding Game of Thrones. Wrong. You’re just plainly wrong.

13. "A" says:

TVD info sounds like around about way to not tell us The Armory Monster is actually named Sybil.

14. kath says:

I’m still iffy on the next season of Once Upon A Time. Wasn’t interested with the Hyde character at the end of last season but I guess I’ll see what happens before I decide.

Glad to hear that Einstein will be a brusque skirt-chaser on LoT. I’ve never been able to forgive him since he didn’t give his first wife credit for her work on his relativity theory.

A couple of days ago I was arguing with someone who said that Curtis could now replace Felicity on Arrow and I said no, he’s like Cisco and she’s the expert hacker. I’m pleased to hear Wendy Mericle feels the same.

15. RichCD says:

Man, I am with you about Game of Thrones. Best show on TV? Not even close. But the last two episodes, and especially last night’s, have been truly spectacular.

16. Kenny says:

I’m not sure I get the comparison between GOT on the one hand and Bates Motel and Penny Dreadful on the other. Completely different genres and therefore often completely different approaches to writing. I disagree about PD this season in general, disappointed in it for many reasons, but I can appreciate both Game of Thrones and Bates Motel for what they are respectively and it never occured to me to consider one superior over the other when they’re so very, very different on so many levels.

Thanks for the HTGAWM and Preacher scoop, much appreciated. The more I read about OUAT, the more ready I am to drop it from my VCR. Their last season was already disappointing and nothing about the spoilers so far sounds interesting to me. Too bad.

• Lala says:

I agree about comparing GOT to PD & BM…It’s a very odd comparison.What would the points of comparison even be between these two very diff genres..

17. Ken says:

Yes Michael, its obvious that Showtime cancelled the show but still are working with John Logan on another show so it was political. He wouldn’t bad mouth his current employer and they didn’t want to piss off fans of the show so they concocted this story that it was always supposed to end at season 3. However, their are interviews with JL talking about season 4 and anyone with a brain could see that characters were added and story points were hinted at that would come into fruition in season 4 – Dr Jeykl, Cat, Egypt, the mummy, etc… Which Showtime could still do the right thing and continue Penny Dreadful…just because Vanessa died and JL doesn’t want to do it anymore, doesn’t mean there isn’t another qualified show runner and writer who could continue with these great characters. There is still much life and story left in these characters and in that setting.

• Simon Jester says:

Lyle was “sent off to Egypt” because Simon Russell Beale’s stage schedule necessitated him being written out of the show — not because they were setting up season 4. Sorry if that mars your “it’s obvious!” narrative.

• Nan says:

I so agree…they keep talking about respecting the fans and I don’t how cancelling a great show does that…

18. Joey says:

Your AAnd That has never been more spot-on.

19. LADY_in_MD says:

Love this AAnd that!

20. Georgia says:

Wow, two whole sentences on Supernatural (one of them linking another article). Hope you didn’t strain yourself.

21. Casey says:

What?! I never knew about that Preacher casting, and now I’m sad that it’s not happening. I adore Lucas Neff! I haven’t seen him since Raising Hope! I miss him! And Elizabeth Perkins is great too! Sad! ):

• Chris says:

I know I’m sad too! I love Preacher so much and would have loved to have seen both of them as antagonists to Jesse. Especially Elizabeth Perkins.

22. Albert Einstein in Legends of Tomorrow oh I can’t wait to see how my baby Mic Rory reacts to him.

23. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop about Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. Happy Rick is coming back to The Night Shift in season 3!

24. Jared says:

I like Bates Motel and Penny Dreadful myself, but NO WAY are they better than GOT. Absolutely the best show on television

25. Hallibro says:

We’re definitely NOT getting the whole story about Penny Dreadful’s end… On one hand Logan said he always saw it as a 3 seasons show and on the other hand in your Q&A he said the decision was taken during the writing of season 2… And as far as storytelling goes why introduce Jekyll and tease Hyde for the whole season and not show it… The same goes for Mr Lyle and The Mummy… I’m so pissed by this cancellation. Hopefully the comics will shift from prequel to sequel… Anyone else feel utterly disappointed by the use of Dorian Gray in the whole series by the way ? He was left on his own the whole time…. Sorry for my english I’m a French fan on the site…

• Simon Jester says:

John Logan said at Comic-Con in 2014 that he had a three-season arc planned.

• Hallibro says:

I went back to find what you were talking about and y’oure right ! He said it… Something just seems off though… I don’t know. That same year he said a list of thing that he’d like to do before the series end… It seems like juste a small part of it made it to the screen… But regardless thanks for the reference

26. Valentina says:

Thank you for answering my Night Shift question! So happy to have Rick back soon and in a sl that sounds very interesting!

27. Bwhit says:

Einstein on LOT….. Martin Stein and probably Ray are going to lose it and than be disappointed when he isn’t who they thought he was, can’t wait :).

28. HAP says:

Thank you, Michael. Up until now, I thought I might be the only person in the world who just could not “get into” Game Of Thrones.

• Bwhit says:

Well You’ve found another person because it has just never appealed to me…. The pure love by the fans of the show is admirable to me though…. I respect a loyal fandom.

• Courtney Larson says:

Make that two more! I’ve never been interested in it, nor is my mother, but like you, I do admire the loyal fanbase, but only so long as it doesn’t become a rabid fanbase, as many shows seem to have (even if it’s only a portion of it). They become the only voices heard about show, character, storyline, etc, giving the show and it’s fans a not so nice perception.

29. Yes to the Penny Dreadul question. I do think they got “the call” mid-shooting. And I’m writing this as I’m listening to the finale opening credits song The Prayer :'(

30. Cornelius says:

Still not over Penny Dreadful being done. It was a great season but as a finale to the series it was not how the show should have ended.

31. Betsy says:

Oh Harvey and Donna! When will they face their feelings? The slowburn has been absolutely delicious but their dynamic is starting to become a little repetitive. There’s a big elephant in the room that has been ignored for almost a season and if we look at the big picture; for 12 years. They act like they are married, it wouldn’t make much difference putting these two together (and I bet it would bring the opportunity to add funny/flirty scenes, that are so missed in this show!)

32. Lala says:

The fact that you enjoy PD & BM more than GOT does not make them superior…not by a long shot. I love Bates Motel but it’s mindless to compare it to GOT because they are vastly different. GOT is a show that will stand the test of time & a bar with which other great shows will be measured.

33. mollytanner says:

The way Michael feels about Game of Thrones is the way I feel about The Americans. Game of Thrones is epic of course, but sometimes I feel like my favorite characters are stuck in the same rut for too long. Sansa absolutely made the season for me this year, and the finale was fantastic.

34. JenE says:

Oh come on! Couldn’t give Hook and Emma a couple hours off to “take a nap”?

35. Lexi says:

I so agree that it feels like there is more to the Penny Dreadful ending. Maybe one day we will learn the whole story. Show will he missed.

36. "A" says:

Who should play 66 year old ( his age in 1942 ) Albert Einstein on “Legends of Tomorrow” ?

37. Tvgeek says:

So happy to hear Rick will be back on the night shift!

38. Penny Dreadful could have easily kept going. Mr. Lyle could return from Egypt with the Book of the Dead,and being chased by the “mummy” then the group use the book to resurrect her and that brings it’s own problems. Then Hyde could come in to play and more.

39. Mandy says:

Well, I hope they get someone with an authentic South African accent for Blindspot. Nothing as grating as someone putting it on because it ends up sounding like some wierd made up accent that exists nowhere in Africa…There are loads of Saffas in the US so it should be fine.

• Jane says:

I agree, it’s so difficult for child actors to pull off believable accents. They need time to go to school and train properly before taking on roles that rely heavily on accents. They’ve got quite the search ahead of them with gymnastics and martial arts training as well.

40. partisan says:

I agree about the Penny Dreadful finale. While I believe that this was the ending they had planned I don’t for a second believe they meant for it to happen this suddenly. The meandering first two thirds of the season followed by the rushed last couple of episodes sounds more like they got the news that the (expensive) series was not coming back for season 4 after they had filmed the first 5-6 episodes of the season, then they rushed to finish the story the way they wanted it to end in the last few episodes they had left to film. Sad, I really liked the show and they had set up so many potential story lines. I mean come on, we never even got to see Mr. Hyde!

41. “self assured, friendly, and warm” So, does he/she wind up getting killed or killing someone? Place your bets now.

42. wrstlgirl says:

Awesome!! We finally get to see Luke Macfarlane’s face :-)

43. Lisa says:

SQUEE!! So ready for Supernatural S12!!!!

44. newcrush says:

i think regina should be paired with hyde – that would be interesting :)