Castle Ratings High

Castle Bosses Address Final Season Talk: 'The Show Has a Lot of Life In It'

ABC’s Castle has stories to tell beyond this season. But just in case, the showrunners — like those before them — are prepared to hedge their bets and work toward a season finale that doubles as a capper to the series as a whole.

When TVLine spoke to co-showrunners Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter about the fall finale, we pointed out that the series had been hovering — though quite steadily — around ratings lows since returning down in September. As such, the conversation turned to: Is there an end game in mind in the event that ABC doesn’t order Season 9?

“The reality,” Hawley answered, “is that [the network execs] won’t make that decision until very late. So our plan is just to tell a satisfying story and try to wrap up the season in an exciting way.”

And perhaps wrap up the series, as well. Which is precisely what series creator Andrew W. Marlowe and writer/wife Terri Edda Miller aimed to accomplish with last season’s finale. (With series leads Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic’s contracts expiring, Marlowe told TVLine in April, “We were trying to craft a finale where we had a satisfying conclusion if it is indeed the conclusion, but also some really interesting, compelling springboards into next season’s storyteliing — if the gods shine upon us and we’re allowed to continue.”)

“Andrew and Terri wrote it as if it was the series finale,” Winter reminded, “and there’s a very good chance that we’ll most likely be doing that here. We hope to come back for Season 9, but we have to act as if [we might not].”

“We think the show has a lot of life in it,” Hawley chimed in, “as do these characters” — especially in the wake of the Sturm und Drang that Rick and Kate endured during the first stretch of Season 8, as the latter mysteriously forced a marital separation.

“That’s the great thing from our side about the storytelling this year, that we do feel energized by the shake-up and what it has allowed us to do,” Hawley said. “We’ve tried to have a lot of fun in and around an obviously emotional subject…. ‘The Nose’ came out great, and both ‘The Last Seduction’ and [the fall finale] ‘Mr. & Mrs. Castle’ had some really delightful stuff in them. We’re really happy with the results.”

Want more scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. I Give Up says:

They’re kidding right ?? Words fail me LOL!!

• Annie says:

Y’know, I really think they believe what they’re saying at this point. Which is … yeah.

• Just one thing says:

More power to them for thinking and feeling the way they do, but yeah… They are clearly out of touch. Whether they willfully wrote the series in this direction or found their hands tied, I suppose it’s reasonable to assume they’ll do the wise showrunner positive spiel until the show winds down.
        That said, anything they might think is “exciting” and can wrap the story up is likely to do more harm than good.
        They said happily married couples are boring, pretty much guaranteed no Caskett spawn, and they had one main character tell another that she “likes to be broken,” without any sort of rebuttal on the “broken girl’s” part.
        That hateful little dig will likely never be revisited again with any real depth, but we can look forward to a cross-country road trip with the P.I. Trio sans Beckett, The Broken – plus a variety of other scenarios and ensemble players who can prevent Castle and Beckett from sharing too many scenes an episode.
        A shame, really.

• Pey says:

I would like to know, but probably never will, what Hawley’s problem is with one of the main ‘characters’.

• Just one thing says:

If he has a problem, either it’s a fairly new development or he did a great job of suppressing it for years. Either way, it’s not a good look for the show.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

You can definitely tell by the way Beckett is disrespected and made the butt of jokes now that he has some kind of issue.

• sam says:

I couldn’t understand the reason for the change in how Beckett is written this season, nor the necessity of it.
            But since I am convinced that there is a reason for everything, I was left wondering what was that reason.
            But I am now reflecting back to Stana’s tweet when she confirmed on twitter that she was returning. She announced that she had spoken to the new show runners and was satisfied (paraphrasing) with how Beckett would be written.
            Now rather than trying to understand the reason for the Beckett change I am now asking why did Stana feel the need to discuss how Beckett would be written especially since she has a history with the two.
            Did Stana suspect something?

• lindag413 says:

She probably was trying to warn us changes were on the way.I think all knew a change was going to go down I am not convinced they knew the severity.Stana always has bts things on Instagram and seems to get along with the crew,etc.I think…..I could be totally wrong….they were blindsided and are trying to make the best of it and are stung(Nathan anyway) by the fans reaction.I am one of the angry fans so I am not throwing stones here.
            Let’s put it this way…something odd is going on they are not the same people anymore.

• Maryann says:

The people I blame most for this debacle is whoever hired show runners who think happily married couples are boring. That’s like hiring a sportscaster who thinks sports are boring

• Dan Henderson says:

You’re right..of course I wouldn’t know anything about that, having been happily married to the same woman for almost 50

• James R. says:

That’s a terrible analogy. That analogy would only work if the job they were trying to fill dealt with only married couples like a marriage counselor.

• Joey says:

Could this whole mess that is season 8 go back to a problem that Hawley and Marlowe had when Hawley walked away. Marlowe wanted Rick and Kate to be together and Hawley wanted them split up. When Marlowe left at the end of season 7 Hawley took over as a show runner and finally put his plan in place for the split. But he never asked the fans what they wanted and made a mess of the whole thing and now maybe even cancelled. Hawley failed on his first two shows ( The Following and State of Affairs) and now he is going to take Castle down to. All this mess to prove a point, arrogant might be too kind. All the fans want is for this split separation to stop now. Do you think Mr. Hawley you could do that?

• MissEllys says:

I think they’ve lost the trust of fans…that and the fact that the leads no longer like working together….I’m not sure they can salvage it.

• Jerri says:

Where did you get the idea that the leads no longer like working together? The Daily Mail?

• Mary says:

I can only speak for myself, but I still love the show so they have not lost all the fans:)
        As for the 2nd part of your post…have you talked to the leads to state it as being the absolute truth?! Because if not, you should stop believeing eveything you hear or read:):)

• shirley says:

I too am a fan and still love the show.
          I don’t understand where the talk come from either.

• Night Owl says:

Agreed, I’m still a fan of the show as well. I guess to me, it’s not all about “shipping”. I’m probably one of the few, that would just like to see the stories, instead of the focus on their marriage. The characters being married is NOT the only thing that makes the show good or bad. The original story was writer and muse working together to solve crimes. Less focus on the shipping, might actually bring more focus on the stories. I guess, I’m of the belief that Castle & Beckett don’t HAVE to be married for the show to be worthwhile. Just my opinion. Let the hate begin (as I know it will).

• Emma says:

I’m also still in the fan column. I watch for the stories, which have definitely gotten better this season. The only two things that annoy me are the incessant whining of the shippers and the fact that the original premise of Rick being a writer has been totally thrown out. They can ditch the P.I. nonsense asap.

• donna says:

I agree, I like the fact they aren’t in each others pockets all the time

• Mary says:

I agree with you:) I was dragged to this show since the beginning and they weren´t married by then, they weren´t even in a relationship! I like them together, that is not the point, but I don´t see why it has to be the focus, particulary because I think the stories (in its majority) were better before…

• NDFan says:

Geez I’m so glad to read this. I was seriously thinking I was the only one. I like Castle and Beckett together but I never cared if they were married or not. I like the cases and the secondary characters too. So many people want to get rid of everyone else on the show (or at least barely show them) just to make it all about Castle and Beckett and their relationship. I never got that. Martha, Alexis, Javier, Ryan, Lanie… They’ve all been there since the beginning and helped to make the show what it is. If anything I wish we’d get more fleshing out of those characters but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Oh well. This season hasn’t been my favorite BC I do think the writing has been questionable, but I don’t hate what they’ve done to shake things up.

• maddy says:

I don’t care about the shipping — I care about the quality. And the stories, characters, acting, and most of all writing have been really off. I don’t care if they are together — I care if I can get into the stories, which I can’t — and haven’t been for quite some time.

• Rosemary Caney says:

I will be a dedicated fan till the end, that being said I do feel that Stana has not been herself since the beginning of Season 8 (I hope I’m wrong) As far as I’m concern Stana made the show what it was thru 7 seasons. I don’t want Stana to leave the show or TV, but she has to do what’s best for her, please take into consideration all of your dedicated fans who love you and give Castle another season if its possible.

• CaskettCrazy (or once was) says:

I’m with you on that. Speechless! All I can say is that attaching strings to a rotting corpse and making it dance does not constitute “a lot of life in it.”

• Barry says:

What a pair of assclowns. The hell with what the fans want, our fun/creativity is all that matters — let’s just do it our way, even if we are about to get flushed down the drain because of low ratings and a lack of fan support. Pathetic!!!!!

2. Night Owl says:

IMO, it’s a shame that longer running shows have to write their season finales as though they could be a series finale. That’s not a great way to have to write. Personally, I think it stifles the creativity. It’s my belief that if they are going to cancel it, they should at least give an X amount of episode final season to longer running shows, so they can wrap things up, and take a little time to do it in a satisfying way. I’m happy we got the wrap up episode of CSI, however, I would think something like a 5 or 7 episode wrap up season would have made more sense. It would give the writers an opportunity to handle things in a more satisfying way.

• anon says:

I agree that long-running shows should definitely be given notice sooner than other shows if they’re going to be canceled. You have a show like Ugly Betty where the cast/crew found out when they were in the middle of shooting the third or second episode before the finale. So the finale ended up feeling really rushed. I do think there are some shows that know for sure though- you can’t tell me that Shonda Rhimes doesn’t know exactly when Grey’s will end no matter how much she says otherwise.

• johnhelvete says:

Most of the time though, the decision is purely a financial decision to continue or cancel a series, the decision is rarely a creative decision. I agree in a perfect world, the network would tell the writers a show is ending with enough time at the end of a season (5-6 episodes). However, I dont agree that it stifles creativity to have to write an open ended conclusion to the season that will work as a series finale just in case the show is cancelled.

• Night Owl says:

I know it’s a financial decision, but also a lot of people, when they know a show is ending (in advance) that they watch or even had watched in the past, they will usually watch the final episodes, which usually raises the ratings for those episodes. In a sense, it does stifle the creativity, because rather than telling the story like they would, they have to do a stop/wrap up, just in case. I just think it’s a sucky way to have to write.

• maddy says:

I do wish shows would have the integrity, though, to go ‘our actors only want to do this 5 years. We have enough ideas for 5 years, tops. We will do MAX 5 years. No more. We have a 3 year plan to wrap it up of it goes early, but end game is 5 years which will end here. I don’t care how much money you throw at us. We’re done at 5.’

AND THEN DO IT.

• prish says:

It worked out OK for CSI-NY. For three years, the final episode of the season was a wrap-up, since they did not know about renewal. Those were fantastic episodes.

3. David4 says:

Wow… They are even more out of touch with reality than I thought.

The ratings are down, the actors clearly don’t care about the show anymore, and it’s just going to cost more and more as the seasons continue.

That said ABC is in trouble with their dramas so maybe they do want it, but I still see the actors wanting out.

• Joey says:

Our show runners are so out of touch with the fans, and too arrogant to make the needed changes. They need to go look at the survey on Cartermatt castle, how long will this break up twist last. 1. a few episodes 42.56% 2. one episode and that is it 26.72% 3. a good chunk of season 8 19.85% 4. it’ll be resolved in the finale episode 8.21% 5. Beyond this season 2.66%. Number 1 & 2 are 69.28% , with episode 9 already written the separation will not end there, but a large percent of the fans want it over by the end of the next two. This is what the fans want so the show writers can not have that. In episode 11 every one in Castle family goes to LA but Kate, she must not be part of Castle family anymore, or it is just a preview of season 9 . Lots of luck with that, go look it what is going to be canceled in May on Zap2it website. And to top it all off one of these show runners is going to write episode 14 all by himself WOW. In this finale season to would be nice to give the fans what they want, no more separation, and maybe even a baby castle. I forgot one of our show runners thinks that a pregnant can not be kick ass enough. It is sad that a cooking show got a pretty rating in the 18-49 age group than the finale fall episode. Thank You show runners

4. Sam says:

Delusional. Energized? Naaa. There’re no stories left to tell. It’s been a disappointing season and ratings speak the words clearly. End this with the little dignity it has left.

5. kmw says:

There is that word again ” fun”. Maybe they have had fun but Castles fans haven’t. Seriously these two need to stop talking and move on to second half with hopefully better stories

6. CM says:

I think this season proves that there are NO stories left to tell.

• Just one thing says:

No stories left for Castle and Beckett.
      Perhaps there are stories left for Castle, Alexis, Martha, Hayley, Ryan, Espo, Perlmutter, Lanie and random lawyers.

• grys03 says:

I agree. I’ve been watching the last season specifically for the Castle, Ryan, Espo etc other characters – have enjoyed the over-the-top storylines. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a Beckett hater in any way, it’s just that the Nathan-centric episodes are a lot more fun.

• Just one thing says:

A Beckett-free episode is the path to the Dark Side.

• Pey says:

A Beckett-free episode is like a room without oxygen.

• The show might be called Castle, but at this point Beckett and Castle are co-leads one can’t go with the other

To people saying that the show would be great if were just about the cases and secondary characters, i’m sorry but that show would be over 5 seasons ago

What makes this show unique is the relationship between two unique persons like Castle and Beckett, the show is a LOVE STORY

deal with it

the biggest season ratings was the one were they were together, all started to go downhill when they invented the Castle disappearing so they wouldn’t get married STRIKE ONE

then they did the same again in Season 8, even didn’t work out the first time in season 6, so they try to fix something by doing the same.

• lurker says:

What stories were left to tell? Well, here where I live FOX International has started with the promotion of season 8 which starts to air on Jan 5th. First promo (20 or so seconds) has some scenes from season 7 with Castle saying “welcome to Richard Castle investigations”. One short scene with Beckett and her “what’re you doing here?”. No police buddies, no nothing. Their trailer for season 7 was presenting all the characters. However, if you remember the sell saga from the first three seasons, season 7 trailer was completely unrecognizable. My comment was like “what?!” Second season 8 promo were scenes from the first two episodes of season 8 with the voice over “forget everything you knew before”. And isn’t that true? So, there is logic in their direction of thinking and writing, and promoting the show.

• Beckstle says:

No, it proven these showrunners don’t know the show and its characters – which is perhaps why they’ve had to bring in so many new ones that few viewers care about. They took a wrecking ball to the entire series. It’s sad.

• Annie says:

Agreed! Plenty of Castle-Beckett stories to tell. The current show runners just don’t know or understand the characters or their history.

• kath says:

There are stories left to tell. Look at Hart to Hart or Macmillan and Wife.
      The problem is that these showrunners aren’t smart enough or creative enough to think of them.

• Rudy says:

I always looked forward to this TV series. Loved all the characters. We see plenty of horrific crime stories, but this one was funny, entertaining, and a pleasure to watch. Why can’t Kate and Castle stay together? The decision not to renew it blew my mind as I was looking forward to relaxing, laughing, and just enjoying the show.

7. Pey says:

What’s that word for showrunners who wear rose-colored glasses, starts with D- and ends with -eluded?

8. TvLover says:

So I thought last season would have been a pretty good ending. And I’m not sure how well the writers could wrap up this season that would feel right and not rushed at the end.
    Because how I see it is, they have two major lose ends plot wise, Loksat and Castle’s disappearance, and if the two are interconnected as the writers presumably say they are then I don’t feel that this show will have a good ending that I’d hoped for. But I hope that I’m wrong and hope that the writers have a ‘clear’, logical and satisfying wrap up of this show that I’ve watched from the start.

9. Mike says:

My own personal belief is that any show beginning around season 5 needs to tell me where its going. Any time around season 8-9 in needs to justify its storytelling. Castle began weezing around season 4. It ran out of gas in season 5.

• Just one thing says:

Season 5 definitely seemed to be the beginning of the show’s creative decline, though it wasn’t as randomly silly as parts of Season 6 were, or as embarrassing as parts of Season 7 were.

10. brad says:

sorry but i hope its the last season

11. TvLover says:

I get the feeling that Castle will end like How I Met your Mother. A lot of build up and then really no pay off in the end.

12. Boiler says:

All of you just need to go away. If you feel the way you d you aren’t watching and what you say irrelevant

• Jerry says:

I would agree with you if this was a new show. But some fans have invested the past 7 years in it, so they are quite able to grumble about the current situation, even if they have given up watching because of it.

13. ndixit says:

Honestly, at this point, this is a show that needs to be put out of its misery. The new show runners obviously seem very disconnected from reality which is never a good sign. But at least they are wise to the fact that this may be the end. On a different note, I do wish network execs gave long running shows the courtesy of letting them know whether they are being renewed or not so they can wrap things up conclusively.

14. Allie says:

The only way this show has more life is if the two leads want to work together. If a season 9 is the same to whatever they agreed to for 8, no thanks. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for them to understand people watch for Castle and Beckett.

• annek says:

Well said. We watch for them and for a smart show with banter and wit, not school boy humor and low brow laughs, so far from what this show once was. Pack it in, give this once great couple a worthy send off (together, more than 5 min shared screen time) never hire AH or his cohorts again.

• smartysenior says:

Yep, banter and wit and a wacky crime or criminal of the week along with humor and loving looks between them. What’s so tough about that? Hire new writers if you’ve run out of those types of episodes but don’t wrench the two apart for a really unbelievably stupid reason. And then when it crashes down on your head don’t give interviews saying you’re having fun, lies are for politicians.

• Disappointed says:

Castle the series ended with the S7 finale as S8 has forever destroyed the core premise of a writer and his muse solving crimes TOGETHER by promoting Beckett and elevating Castle P.I. to a permanent situation. And instead of utilising the existing cast better, I don’t consider the emergence of supersleuth Alexis as making better use of her character, we have the addition of the totally pointless Hayley. The showrunners have admitted in previous inteviews that they find a happily married couple boring and that they have exhausted their ideas for COTW after just 150 episodes (L&O SVU has managed over 300), so I just wonder what riveting stories they believe they can still tell. Although as several episodes in S8 have just rehashed ideas from earlier seasons perhaps they will continue to regurgitate older episodes (8×14 seems to have a TLADILA feel about it with Castle off to LA again but with Alexis and Hayley instead of Beckett this time.)

15. Max says:

Producers can save money by just giving Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic’s salary. The show can continue on without her very well. Might even boost the energy of the series.

• Disappointed says:

I consider he’s overpaid already. He’d be better off accepting one of the numerous offers he’s supposedly received as I don’t think he can carry Castle without his co-star, although the current showrunners seem to be trying to manage.

• bob says:

prob she dosent care for the show anymore like she use to

• Gaby says:

lol As if she hasn’t carried this show on her back for 6 seasons (you know, the 6 seasons of this show that were actually good), and as if he wasn’t overpaid already, all to play himself and not give half a crap about the show, the character and its fans.

• sam says:

I don’t know if Stana is bored, tired, both or neither.
        But seasons 7 & 8 brought to the light that SK carried this show for 6 years. She made it watchable. Now that her character has basically been sidelined the show has lost its focus and good acting.
        But it is not just the handling of Beckett, the writing is just weak. (We have been reduced to hoochie momma, butt and fart jokes).
        LokSat has potential and Marlowe & Co. could have written intriguing stories around LokSat. The talented writing is gone.
        To the person who described the show as a sitcom, I will agree and include bad sitcom.
        Fillion needs a strong actor. He cannot carry this show.
        It is not necessary to discuss Castle PI. That is just too boring and useless.

Hawley please stop saying fun. This season is a messy mess and that’s not fun or funny.

• Voyager_III says:

Isn’t it amazing how people watch the same show and see different things? I actually feel it’s Nathan Fillion that carries the show. I agree that he probably spends most of the show playing himself, but when it’s required, that man can ACT. I don’t know any actor (and I include A listers here) that can convey an emotion as successfully as Nathan without saying a word; he has the most expressive face. And then his little speech in “Always”, he coveys 4 years of longing and emotion that makes me catch my breath every time I hear it; just standing there talking. To quote from Laura Prepon in “Nikki Heat” – Less is more.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Stana Katic, I think she’s gorgeous and would kill for her legs, but I think she’s limiting as an actress. She’s really good at the big scenes, and being the aggressive cop, but is lacking in the subtle scenes. Also, I really dislike her accent, when she says “I got the joooooob” in “Valkyrie” I cringe (amongst other words she utters). Maybe it’s because I’m English?

I appreciate we are all different, but I would definitely continue to watch the show without Stana, but not without Nathan

• maddy says:

Voyager_III – I’m with you all the way (Irish — but hey! we can agree!)

Also, I’m Deaf and Stana moves her mouth strangely (lip reader) and so I just assumed she had a unique accent? But her mannerisms and hand gestures bother me — they’re a little too… I don’t know. I don’t like them.

I don’t hate Stana — there’s a big difference in her acting ability between series 1 and 2, a nice improvement. But I don’t feel like there was ever more to her. But dead on for her — she hits the big scenes surprisingly well — but she lacks a subtlety that sells the more somber scenes…

I could continue to watch if the show improved and Stana left, but there is no way I’d go back to it if Stana stayed and Nathan left. I don’t think she’s strong enough to carry the show. I think he’s been carrying the show since the beginning — it was never an amazingly genius show– but it was fun and occasionally clever and silly, so it was worth watching. But now….

I stopped watching the show a while ago — I just stopped caring. I clicked on here to see if they were predicting a cancellation. But I can’t see how it deserves a renewal — I don’t understand how it’s been on as long as it has. And it’s hard for me to stop watching shows, I’m a completist. But I just reached the point where I couldn’t take it anymore.

I wonder if people think Stana carries the show because, at least to me, Fillion seems SUPER burnt out. I feel like he’s secretly rolling his eyes when he’s off camera to everything. He’s the kind of actor who really has to love every minute of what he’s doing.

I think one of the reasons I loved Firefly is because every single second of that show, I feel like Nathan is secretly screaming inside his head ‘THIS IS THE BEST JOB EVER!!!!!!’ But when I’m watching Castle, I feel like Nathan really wishes he were somewhere else. You can tell when he cares or not. I think he’s super burnt out. When the scripts are solid, he shows up and gives everything — but when it’s clear they’re treading water and just a filler, it’s like he’s a cardboard cut out of himself.

I feel like it’s what happens with Gillian Anderson in the later X Files episodes: they know the episode isn’t that good, they know they have to make it work, but they just cannot bring themselves to care that much so they don’t really bring it as much as when they’re really excited about a story. When he’s on, he’s FANTASTIC. When he’s bored or bothered, he’s still good, but you can tell when a particular episode is really important to him.

He’s practically radioactive on ‘Target’/’Hunt’ because you can just tell, he’s stepped up to the plate and is REALLY excited about what’s happening. ‘Hong Kong Hustle’ he just seems like he’d rather be doing ANYTHING else. Like… ANYTHING.

I tried watching the latest episode with Adam Baldwin. I was cringing at 1) How STUPID Castle has become — seriously, he’s a cartoonish buffoon, 2) How BAD the writing was — unbelievably bad, and 3) How much the chemistry between Fillion and Baldwin had evaporated into basically nothing, 4) how useless and cartoonish the other characters had become. Alexis is just … I can’t stand her — I used to really like her. And Ryan and Espo were pretty over the top as well. I feel like a lot of that chemistry was lost.

But really, when did Alexis turn into such a nasty character? She’s always treated him like a child — and that worked when he was still an intelligent character. But when he’s the cartoonish buffoon that chemistry changes and she turns into a rather cringy character.

TL;DR from all my ramblings, I agree with everything you’ve said and I think the writers and actors are super burnt out and don’t actually care enough to make it work.

• sam says:

You are right regarding people seeing things differently.
            I see Nathan as a one-note actor.
            His emotions are portrayed by widening his eyes and I really get annoyed by how he talks out the side of hs mouth.
            For me, Nathan was acceptable because Stana’s acting was strong and it had a way of allowing the viewers to be drawn into the scene. Stana became Beckett. Nathan remained Nathan.
            With Nathan, I find that I am just watching TV and sometimes I get distracted when he is playing a scene.
            I take the reverse position, if Stana had not returned for this season I would not have watched.
            While you see where Nathan uses an expressive face, I find that this is one of Stana’s talents.

• John Z says:

+1, agree, Fillon cant carry this show. Need Katic to balance.

• Rose says:

You are correct and Stana did carry show for 6 or 7 years its time to bring her character back to the forefront it this show is to survive, I want this show with Stana leading the cast to be on longer. Go Stana

• Beckstle says:

No, it proves these showrunners don’t know the show and its characters – which is perhaps why they’ve had to bring in so many new ones that few viewers care about. They took a wrecking ball to the entire series. It’s sad.

• suzyku says:

Max, I totally agree with you! Beckett character (and the actress) totally lack warmth! I watch for Nathan Fillion not her!

• Just one thing says:

I’m not gonna touch the latter half of your statement.
      However, I would be QUITE curious to know what type of fantasy math can explain how the show would save money by giving one actor another actor’s salary. In addition to his own.
      Will I need some sort of alien calculator or something for this equation? Just wondering.

16. lame says:

I’m shocked that Andrew and Terri were more than willing to end the series without taking the time to tie up loose ends.
    Winter/ Hawley seem to be more than willing never to redress the fact that Castle said Beckett was sick which was ok with her, even though it bothered him. And Im waiting for the explanation of his missing months, I can only hope against hope it doesn’t disappoint.
    Unless the remaining episodes are exceptional maybe it’s time to end this before the ratings crash through the floor.

• dandan222a says:

I don’t think they (AWM/TEM) had a choice..I don’t believe they left on their own accord..After the 623 fiasco, AWM dissing the fans, and the drop in fans between S6 and S7, and then the 30% drop between S7 and S8, ABC had to do something. Exhorbant salaries for both stars didn’t help..Just speeds up the end..I predict the season finale for S8 IS the series finale. All the discussion here by Alexi to me just speeds up the inevitable.

17. Mari says:

This show really hurt the character development of the characters. It saddens me they turned castle a hero to a zero. Beckett a respected cop to a broken down image of herself and Alexis a super sleuth with so much storyline that nobody wants to hear or see .plus all these extra characters nobody cares about. The funny thing thing is these people use to write good stories what happened to that??

18. TvLover says:

Granted Nathan is Castle and basically makes the show what it is, well, was. But, I gotta say, I personally think he’s been hamming it up too much, even for him. Unless the writers have been catering to him and yes I’ll include Ms. Katic, then they’re just doing it to get to the end. Make the actors happy. Shame.
    I could see how ABC could continue Castle without Beckett, the writers have done a pretty decent job of alienating a lot of people from her character, and she could be written off if necessary. Anyway, I’m not the actors so I can’t speak for anyone on the show but after 8 seasons and this being sub par at best, I’d like to move on to other projects of I were them.

• ndixit says:

To me, this season it’s been clear that both main leads are not performing up to their usual standards and I think it’s clear its due to the material. Nathan is trying to overcompensate for the poor writing which results in an often hammy performance while Stana looks just plain bored. The evidence of that is in their reconciliation scene where she didn’t show an ounce of emotion. That’s usually Stana’s bread and butter, so it’s clear to me that both actors are suffering due to the writing.

• kath says:

Good analysis.
        I agree completely.

• mike says:

You nailed it.
        But I’d like to reiterate that the core problem is the writing. There’s no cleverness, no zip, no creativity. No mention of Nikki Heat movies, comics, or Castle books in a long time. No poker games either, and the core cast is shrinking. It’s like the way a human body goes into emergency mode when it’s dying and focuses all the blood in the key organs. all the extremities are ignored in the panic to survive.

• lindag413 says:

I agree,I have said it everywhere that the writing books and his writer friends and poker games have vanished with the wind.His smart insight gone….he was not this clown he is now.She acts tired with no life infused in her scenes,I love the characters and the actors that portray them but it’s like the Zombie Appocalypse has really arrived and has taken hold of my favorite show ever.
          Can it turn around? I know you have to move forward but is this progress?No.

• maddy says:

I agree completely. They just all seem so burnt out and just miserable. I get depressed putting on the show — feels like their stress just radiates from the TV to the viewers.

19. Shar says:

The show lost it when the writers took away Castle’s b**** and turned him into a 90’s sitcom character.. schlup of a man married to a hot wife. Rick lost his edge; he no longer had any valuable input into a case, didn’t do any cool things and would rather play video games than make love to his hot girlfriend. He became one big goof and I’m surprised Fiion let himself become that kind of a joke. ( Yes, I know, money talks and is a huge motivator.)

20. Kelly says:

Ugh! If the writers are so “energized” by the story, why do I feel like I have Castle fatigue after being a super fan of the show for seven seasons? I used to look forward to watching but now it’s become almost a chore based out of loyalty and a hope that they can bring it back to what I once loved. Interviews like this make me think that’s not going to happen.

21. prish says:

So, they are writing for each other and not the fans?

• Kelly says:

That’s certainly the way it feels. They seem to be having fun while most fans are either tuning out or simply enduring the season and hoping it gets better.

• dandan222a says:

Kelly–totally agree..apparently the show runners want to have ‘fun’ rather than extend a rd good story of crime solving by the stars. If I see the word “fun” again in an article…..

22. Gaby says:

What about the contracts, tho? I know Katic and Fillion (as well as most of the cast) renewed theirs last season, but it was never said anything about the duration of those new contracts – actually, it was even speculated that it was just for one more season.
    So are all of them in for another season if ABC choses to renew the show, or is there any chance for more negotiations drama?

• Just one thing says:

It was confirmed that each signed on for a year with Castle last spring.
      Now, does that mean Fillion couldn’t have signed a development/holding deal for a series post-Castle? Nope.
      If Castle ended this May, I wouldn’t be surprised if ABC had a single-camera comedy pilot ready to shoot for mid-season next year. Featuring all the Friends of Fillion the Mouse House can afford. (Which is… all of them.)

• dandan222a says:

If I remember correctly, Stana was a one year contract, and Nathan was 2 year..yeah..I know what that says..

• Beckstle says:

No, they both only signed for a year. I honestly thought the point was to do a great job wrapping up the series, not adding new nonsensical mythology and characters while trying to rewrite the past seasons stories and mold the original characters into something else entirely. I think had many realized these things were going to happen the cry for the actors to renew for season 8 would have been muted.

23. Charlie Taraboletti says:

JAG ran ten seasons and I love Castle as much as I do JAG (still want a JAG followup movie ). Go for 10!

24. Diane says:

It’s time for it to end. I feel that about Bones too. I felt that way about Revenge too.

25. Kira says:

What ever happened to a Writer and His Muse solving crimes? That’s the show I want to watch. Not this. The writers are “energized” while I’m just depressed that my favorite show has become unrecognizable. :(

• Linda Giza says:

I started watching a Writer and His Muse,I loved their journey,sometimes it was tough going but they had love and they fought the bad guys and faults and all they came together and then….BAM.They could have ended the series with Hollander’s Woods on a high note,instead they break them up in a way that would never had happened before,they would have found a way to bring down Loksat blah blah together.What we got this year is a big disappointment,they cannot work with a happily married couple….where is the fun and drama in that… lets rip the show up and add three new people that I could care less about.
      A just want my awesome Castle and Beckett and company back.
      Castle and Beckett,a Writer and His Muse.

• robin says:

26. TvLover says:

Also as a side note, I think it’s easy for me and maybe other viewers who overlook the fact that like any show, Castle involves hundreds of people in front and behind the scenes. Not just the ‘main cast’ and writers. So when this show does eventually come to its inevitable end, I hope everyone involved can find future successes afterwords.

27. ndixit says:

I think what makes it clear for me that the show is past its due date is that the acting is not its usual high standard. Castle hasn’t really been the greatest written show but this season the acting has suffered as a result of the writing. Nathan clearly seemed to be trying to overcompensate for the goofball writing for his character while Stana has never looked more bored. Usually Nathan has enough charisma and wit to be funny even when the writing isn’t top class, but there have been moments where he clearly has been lost at what to do. Stana on the other hand usually nails the emotional aspects of her character with ease, even when they are ridiculous, but this season I haven’t seen much emotion from her. That reconciliation scene in 8×08 was like the most emotionless reconciliation I have ever seen. It seemed Stana was not even there in that scene and usually she is so good at that sort of scene.

28. Maria says:

This show should have ended last season.

29. kath says:

How nice that the show-runners feel “energized by the shake-up”.
    Did they happen to also notice how much the fans hated it? Really, really hated it?

30. Mandy says:

Should just put the show on Netflix like other drama series are going. I love the show i would hate to see it end :'( :'(

31. LindaG says:

I have no words….they are obviously on something.
    They like what they did?They liked alienating millions of fans? There is a lot of of life left in the characters?That broken comment will hang over this show,I am sad that they think they have done good by the show.

32. Ready to go OFF-Castle ……whenever that maybe.
    And anxiously awaiting STANA’S films/other projects, hopefully ASAP!!!

33. JImN says:

Lots of the problems Castle has this season have a root cause in ABC’s very late decision making. They were late deciding to renew which made them late picking new show runners which didn’t give them enough time to think through this idiotic story line. They delayed so long that Stana and her management team made contractual plans that conflicted with the show’s production schedule and her personal plans.

Very, very soon I’d bet everyone involved will start making plans for themselves that do not include a 9th season of Castle. If ABC is as late in 2016 as they were in 2015 there won’t be anyone significant around to do the work. Everything ends and you really do have to look out for number 1.

34. Nancy says:

Stop messing with this show. Put Kate and Rick back together. You have lost a ton of viewers because of this that’s why your rating have dropped.

35. “We think the show has a lot of life in it,”
    the show might
    but do the fans?, do the cast?
    i love the show but there’s a reason why it’s very rare for a show to go 9+ years
    especially with the original cast

36. Ginger Snap says:

Castle just represents one growing problem with ABC – a schedule filled with aging series that are approaching retirement. They have issues with OUaT and Nashville and they need to think about the end game with Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy. Castle is their number one priority, but I think the real problem is that the executives at ABC lack creativity and are afraid to take risks, 2015 is being called The Golden Age of TV because there are great scripted dramas that were produced – but none of them are on ABC. They’re on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO, AMC, and USA network.
    So yes, let’s say Goodbye to Castle, and encourage ABC go out there and find great shows like Mr. Robot, Better Call Saul, Halt and Catch Fire, Fargo, The Knick, Casual, Game of Thrones and even The Leftovers.
    Otherwise, we’ll be having this same conversation next year.

37. Howard Ulikdeez says:

This story should’ve ended right at the 3rd paragraph where its stated network execs don’t make the decision until very late. Scripting a season with a finale that ties up loose ends doesn’t seem to bode well for your thoughts on coming back. If the show runners had anything original to provide to the fans, we wouldn’t still be watching episodes on who really (no REALLY) ordered Beckett’s mother. It’s tired, it’s dead and unfortunately, so is this show.

38. Jennifer Stephens says:

Maybe if the people in charge hadn’t dragged on so long with the “separation” of Rick and Kate, more people would have stayed watching the show. I, myself, was very frustrated with the whole thing. Kate’s reasoning for getting back together should have been realized many episodes before. She is much wiser than that. Dragging it on and on and on made her appear dumber than she is.

39. JImN says:

It’s interesting that Hawley thinks they got three good episodes out of the first 8 – – 37.5% decent. Lot’s of viewers wouldn’t go that high. Considering the costs of production and overhead that’s a crumby return.

40. suzyku says:

These guys are deluded if they think the separation was in any way a good idea that the fans would embrace! Castle turned into a complete and utter pathetic wimp, Beckett was a cold, unlikable jerk! Still have the last episode, haven’t cared about watching it! They need to fire these new guys and start over if they hope to revamp this show!

• dandan222a says:

How about using the last 2-3 episodes to (1) get rid of Vikram, (2) bring back Rita and Hunt for a reprise ending, (3) Explain the head of LOCKSAT, with the series ending with Kate holding a pregnancy test (+) indication–fade to black….

• annek says:

Remember, according to these ‘brilliant’ showrunners, happily married and pregnant cant be done. Beyond their capability Im guessing. Feel sorry for their spouses.

41. Sally O'Malley says:

Hawley and Winter are living in their own little bubble of delusion. This season isn’t telling a ‘satisfying story’. It’s a trainwreck. I would rather the show end now and pretend like Season 8 never existed than watch another season of their idea of ‘trying to have fun.’

42. No cancellation! There is so much we would all miss! I love the detective as it goes along!!

43. TvLover says:

Oh there is so much wrong with this show.

As others have mentioned before, ABC drags its feet with renewing their shows while other networks are quick to jump on a good show when they see it.
    The whole long summer with Stana not having signed up until very late.
    Marlowe and Miller stepping away from the show. I wished they’d at least finished the stupid Castle abduction debacle before they left though.
    The characters’ characters are now pathetically written to where I can’t even root for a single one on the show.
    The holy unnecessary addition of Vikram, and Hayley. And I like Toks Olagundoye but seriously her character on Castle, and Vikram. Have. Got. To. Go!
    These convoluted storylines.
    The actors are either overacting (Nathan) or barely acting at all (Stana).
    And last but definitely not least. Poor TAMALA JONES will never get her own episode. After eight seasons everyone else, even Martha to an extent has had her own ish episode (the bank, season 4).
    It’s a damn shame.

44. Holly says:

I cannot believe they might take this show off the air. If anything change it to another day. It’s funny and clever and the other characters are great.

45. hmmanley says:

I love this show. When I started to watch it, I just thought it was ok, but it is very clever. If it is not making its ratings because of football, change the day. I have seen too many shows go by the way side because of late night football. The chemistry between Kate and Castle, not to mention the two detectives: Javier and Kevin is fantastic. It would be very much missed.

46. i think they should bring down the LockSat storyline because its crap, by the end of this season, and end it with a pregnancy announcement. That would be an excellent send-off for 2 characters we have been with for so long, that they will continue to be together after the series ends, in the childs life and together. If a season comes after that, they can explore the wacky antics of what castle would be like with a young child rather than a teenager.

47. Linda says:

Please don’t cancel Castle! Maybe they could be private eye’s together.

48. Ethel Mertz says:

Glad they think this season has been wonderful. Most of us have abandoned ship. I would except for Ryan and Espo bromance

49. Karen Sorensen says:

Castle is my absolute favorite show! Was a bit disturbed by the first few episodes when Castle and Beckett were apart, but the last two episodes were great! Can’t wait to see what’s next!