Post Mortems
Unreal Finale

UnREAL Finale: EP Marti Noxon Talks Rachel's 'Walter White' Moment, 'Complicated' Future With Quinn

Warning: This post contains spoilers for the season finale of UnREAL.

Everlasting‘s final key has been distributed — and hoo boy, what a Pandora’s box it unlocked.

UnREAL‘s season finale Monday night found Rachel and Adam preparing to run away together… only to have him back out at the last minute, then propose to Anna in time for Everlasting‘s live wedding special. A heartbroken Rachel — who’d also been publicly dumped by Jeremy — put her inner agony to good (?) use by getting Adam to confess that he didn’t love Anna. The blonde then stood him up at the altar, in the process creating a highly entertaining episode of “reality” TV.

RELATED UnReal Creator Reacts to Bachelor Host Chris Harrison’s ‘Terrible’ Review

But when Rachel learned that Quinn got Adam to renege by telling him that Rachel had been hospitalized for mental illness, the younger producer was livid. In a scene that rang with subtext, Rachel telegraphed that Quinn better watch herself next season.

TVLine chatted with executive producer Marti Noxon to get her take on the Adam-Rachel-Jeremy travesty triangle, Grace’s backstory, Adam’s royal roots and whether or not Anna was working a long con of her own.

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

TVLINE | Freddie’s chemistry with Shiri Appleby is off the charts — I imagine that was a good moment, when you realized how well they paired.
Oh my gosh. I mean, the chemistry of the cast in general is so critical. We felt so lucky to have all of them, particularly Constance and Shiri, because those characters in different hands could be very unlikeable.

UnREAL Season 1 Finale Rachel AdamTVLINE | What can you tell me about Rachel’s mindset as we move into Season 2?
Sarah [Gertrude Shapiro, series co-creator] and I have always joked that when [Rachel] basically is humiliated by Adam and then she has to watch him propose to and go through the motions of marrying somebody else, there’s just a moment where she goes full Walter White, you know? Like, the dragon comes totally out, and she can’t see straight for her raging humiliation. We leave her unbridled, and a little bit out of control, and her dragon powers are at full force. So we think it’s going to be pretty interesting to see what she does with all those feels when she comes back in. We don’t even know if we’re jumping forward in time or what, but yeah, she’s a loaded gun right now.

RELATED Fall TV Grid 2015: What’s on When? And Versus What?

TVLINE | That scene in the confessional, in particular, stands out.
Wasn’t she amazing in that?

UnREAL Season 1 Finale Rachel QuinnTVLINE | Yeah — and also in the scene with Quinn at the end, when they exchange “I love you”s, but there’s a very weird energy there. Can you forecast that relationship as we move ahead?
They have such a stand-in relationship for Rachel’s own mother. Rachel’s own mother is batshit, [Laughs] and obviously has really messed her kid up. So I think the amount of anger that Rachel has towards Quinn for ruining her fantasy destiny is also kind of measured by like, “Maybe I am sick, maybe I do need help, maybe she did rescue me.” Part of her wants to destroy her, but the other part thinks, “Maybe if I destroy he,r am I destroying myself?” She’s deeply confused but deeply angry. So they’re going to have a very complicated time when we come back. We haven’t decided yet whether they’re all-out war or… I just don’t think those women would ever play it that obvious. I think Rachel would play a long game.

VIDEO Unauthorized Full House Story: First Clip Pits ‘Stamos’ Against the Twins

TVLINE | Is Jeremy going to be as much of a player in Season 2 as Season 1?
I don’t know for sure. I feel like he definitely is going to be integral… Half of him is justifying going to Rachel’s mom and thinks it’s probably true that Rachel has gone around the bend again, but another part of him knows how toxic that relationship goes. So you know, I think he’s sort of lying to himself at the end. We’ll see if he gave in, you know, in war mode or if he falls to her charms yet one more time. Like, is he Charlie Brown? Does he fall? I don’t know yet.

TVLINE | We didn’t see Lizzie in the last few episodes. Is she still on set?
She’s around, but I think she’s dodging both Jeremy and Rachel.

TVLINE | As she should.
As she should.

RELATED Devious Maids: Who Killed Blanca and Louie? Susan Lucci Teases Big Reveal

TVLINE | Can you please clear up for me whether or not Adam is actually royalty or whether he’s just played off as royalty?
I think we say at some point he’s like, the heir to the Earl of Jerseyshire. He’s kind of a sub-royal. He’s not inner court royalty, he’s outer court royalty, but that still means money. And tabloids. As long as you have any kind of title, you’re made.

TVLINE | Thoughts on the format of Everlasting‘s next season?
We’re talking, absolutely, about switching the format up. You know what’s really funny? At one point, one of the pitches on the table was two bachelorettes, you know, two suitors. And they’re battling each other, because we love the cat-fight aspects of it. So we were going to call it Everlasting Cat Fight. [Laughs] And then [The Bachelor] did it! Sarah was like, “We have a mole. We have a mole!” [Laughs]

TVLINE | Quinn and Chet: Done for good?
My gut reaction is I never want him to touch her again. [Laughs] However, that said, Chet has gone on a crash diet and is looking really good — meaning [so is] Mr. Bierko, not that he wasn’t before. But [Quinn’s] going to come back next season, whatever the time frame is, and find that her nemesis romance has gotten kind of super hunky. We were so amused when [Bierko] started sending us pictures like, “Look at me now.” Like, oh my God. That could be a good story. Keep going, sir!

RELATED The Unauthorized Melrose Place Story: Judge Lifetime’s First Cast Photo

UnREAL Season 1 Finale Grace

TVLINE | Toward the end of the finale, we watch Anna leave Adam at the altar. Did she actually care for him? She seems too smart for that.
I think, like many of these women, you kind of get Stockholm syndrome. You know? They’re isolated from the real world… they’re apparently not in touch with any outside influence, including no magazines, no books, no newspapers, nothing. And the one way out, your one shining hope is this guy…

I mean, I feel that way watching The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. I start to get weirdly, you know, “Maybe he is attractive. I wonder if he’d pick me…” There’s something primal in every woman that’s like, “If there’s only one, I have to get him.” You know? “Who’s going to fend off the bears? Who’s going to put a baby in me?” All that stuff. And I think that on some very subconscious level, even though they know they’re playing the game, they start to get swoony around the single man that you’re supposed to be attracted to.

1. cc says:

Super, gritty finale… Loved every minute!

2. Ginger Snap says:

Good job,unReal.

3. tallsy says:

Didn’t love it. Wish I did. There was some good stuff with Rachel/Quinn, and of course Shiri Appleby was amazing. Nothing with Adam convinced me though. Did a dummy replace him for the finale? Adam’s whole reason for doing it was to get out from his family and then chooses Anna. Don’t care about Quinn/Chet or the cliffhanger.

4. Evan says:

The heavy focus on the Quinn/Rachel relationship made this finale great. Shiri Appleby came to play and Constance Zimmer is always great. Before tonight’s episode, I couldn’t imagine next season without Adam or some of the contestants (specifically Anna and Faith), but this felt like a good place to end those stories if that happens to be the case. Adam’s fall from grace and Anna’s scathing remarks climbing the church steps felt like the proper place to say goodbye to those characters, if that happens to be the case. I’m thrilled with how things were left because it wasn’t too soap opera-esque with multiple cliffhangers and ridiculous twists, and in fact, it really left me wondering how the show might be set up next season. I’m very happy I decided to check out the first episode and stuck with the show, it’s been the highlight of my summer TV viewing.

• Charissa29 says:

I agree with everything you said! Quinn and Rachel are fascinating to watch! Next season will be eagerly anticipated, certainly by me. I have never watched a Lifetime show but I love Constance Zimmer and Shiri Appleby, so I tried it and I am so glad that I did. Women with agency are rare on TV and while these two are crazy and damaged, and therefore fascinating, at least they are able to control their world if not themselves.

• Dude says:

Agreed. I’d definitely say Anna is done for good since Johanna Braddy is a regular on Quantico for ABC this fall.

5. Bwhit says:

Jeremy is terrible in my opinion. He cheated on his fiancé but acts like he is innocent. I think the door is really open for Adam to return next season and I hope he does. Rachel needs to break free of Quinn and that will solve half her problems. Can’t wait to see what season 2 holds!

6. Rachel says:

Wow this finale was not what I was expecting (in a good way). Surprised Adam believed Quinn. And Jeremy is such a whiny beotch. Dude is seriously the worst!

• Liz says:

It’s Quinn she can sell anything. Oh I do hope he comes back. Him and Rachel are just so perfect for each other. And Rachel might need some saving from her parents & Jeremy

7. S says:

I weirdly like Jeremy as a character and as an off pairing for Rachel. They both lie to themselves, so when they are together and think they are finally being honest…but still lying, I dig that as a story. Great finale, totally called the return of Arielle Kebel after the first episode, because honestly she is awesome (crazy she’s the same girl who was “Lindsey” and married to Dean for five seconds on Gilmore Girls!). Can’t wait for Season 2!

8. pamua says:

Great finale and also at least one quote of the week : “D.C. is Hollywood for ugly people”.

9. Essie says:

I loved the finale, this show turned out to be really good. Can’t wait for next season!

10. Bark Star says:

Excellent season finale, excellent new show.

11. Cate53 says:

Really enjoyed this season. I loved Adam, Faith and it was even good to see mad, bad Brittany back! However, with the format of Everlasting, we surely can’t get all those characters back can we? Very curious to see what Everlasting (or the equivalent) will be.

Loved the Rachel/Quinn stuff. Such a fascinating relationship. Does Quinn actually care about Rachel at all or were all her actions purely for ratings and good drama on the show?
    Does Rachel admire Quinn or hate her with a burning hatred? Is she plotting a murder herself or does she know Quinn is the one on the same wavelength as her?

12. Joey Padron says:

such a good finale. can’t wait for season 2!

13. tvwatcher35 says:

Shiri Appleby deserves an Emmy. She was brilliant and brought Rachel Goldberg to life. Nobody could have played the role any better.

14. Marc says:

Jeremy is such a sanctimonious hypocrite. When he cheated on his fiancee, did he deserve to be set up, publicly humiliated and called all those awful names? So let me get this straight, Rachel cheating on him somehow means that she’s losing her mind? He really a giant arse*&e. I never liked him from the start, I hated how he would make these digs at Rachel for being manipulative, but he didn’t seem to have a problem pointing the camera at whatever trainwreck was happening.

15. jj says:

I dunno, for some reason I wasn’t all that big a fan of the finale. Something felt off for me

16. Sarah says:

Awesome show, awesome finale. I would never want to be on Rachel’s bad side. She’s an evil genius! I want to hate her, but I love her! My favorite part was when Arielle Kebel saw Adam’s grandma drinking during the wedding and she whispered, “Where did you get that?” I don’t know why, but it made me laugh out loud. She’s hysterical.

17. Sabrina says:

Great episode. I can’t wait to see how the second season turns out. This episode made me dislike Adam a bit compared to the previous episodes and I would actually be fine if he was not a big part of the second season. Jeremy’s actions made me dislike him even more.

18. EM says:

They surprised me with the finale which is a good thing. I hope Adam is back next season and his grandmother makes an appearance or two. Jeremy talking to Rachel’s mother is creepy. Watch out Quinn. Rachel is not going to forgive and forget. Well done ladies and see you next season and hope Lifetime gives you a few more episodes!

19. Traci says:

I loved the finale, I just wished that Racheal and Adam could of stayed together after all the bs going on. I hope he comes back for next season. Great job unReal !!!!

20. LynnG says:

You mention learning about Grace’s backstory. I’m interested, as she’s one of the final girls we learned little to nothing about. Was there more to the interview about this?

21. B says:

I know a lot of people don’t like jeremy and although he isn’t my favourite character I think he and rachel deserve each other. They both get burned by a relationship and their first move is to embarrass the other party. Jeremy when he outed rachel and adam to the crew and Rachel when she decided to embarrass adam by having anna leave him at the alter. They are two sides of the same coin

22. tsevca says:

No, he isn´t royalty. He is nobility, there is difference.