Game of Thrones Jon Snow Season

Game of Thrones: 8 (Mostly) Plausible Ways Jon Snow Can Be in Season 6

Like Ned Stark’s bastard himself, when it comes to whether Jon Snow will be in Game of Thrones‘ sixth season, we know nothing.

Of course, that doesn’t stop us from having a few theories.

And we’re not talking about the “Kit Harington hasn’t cut his hair!” and “Kit Harington spotted in Belfast airport!” conjecture that has made the rounds in the past few weeks.

RELATED Game of Thrones @ Comic-Con: Arya’s Blind Ambition, Stannis’ Fate and More

Instead, we’ve reviewed both George R. R. Martin’s books and the HBO series and come up with eight mostly plausible ways that Jon Snow could be a part of Season 6.

Yes, we’re aware that Harington repeatedly has said that his character is definitely a goner. But the night is long and full of terrors, and we refuse to believe that we’ll have to experience it without the Lord Commander by our side.

RELATED Game of Thrones‘ Isaac Hempstead Wright Confirms Bran’s Season 6 Return

Also: A Dance With Dragons, Martin’s most recent novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series, ends Snow’s storyline with his stabbing by mutinous members of the Night’s Watch… but doesn’t make clear what happens afterward.

Jon fell to his knees. He found the dagger’s hilt and wrenched it free. In the cold night air the wound was smoking. “Ghost,” he whispered. Pain washed over him. Stick them with the pointy end. When the third dagger took him between the shoulder blades, he gave a grunt and fell face-first into the snow. He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold…

Someone could totally bounce back from that, right? Right?

PHOTOS Fall TV Death-Watch: 18 Characters We Fear Won’t Survive Past 2015

From red resurrection to animal re-animation, here are some possibilities for Harington’s involvement in the forthcoming season. Because what’s a long winter — it’s coming, you know — without a little Snow?

Check out our theories in the gallery below — or go directly to it here — then hit the comments with your own thoughts about Jon Snow’s ultimate fate.

1. Nick says:

Yeah, I think if he doesn’t come back there is no plausible way for us to find out about his parentage, unless it’s entirely through flashbacks. The character is too important to the story to be completely gone.

2. m3rcnate says:

I believe with my entire heart and mind that 4, 6 & 7 are the truth. No way he dies for real and is done. Both in the books and TV show he is basically one of two, eh maybe three main characters that get an insane amount of plot and meaty story (Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion). Given everything that’s been setup, how R+L=J makes so much sense, the timing of the Red Priestess having taken so much interest in Jon, now showing up right in time at the Wall having lost the man she THOUGHT was the Prince who was promised, now in search of the real Prince who was Promised (which the prophesy lines up perfectly with Jon Snow assuming R+L=J is true).
    So yeah, Jon gets resurrected by Melisandre, his oath to the black is done (only way to leave the Black is death loophole), Jon and Melisandre go on a journey that leads them to finding out the truth (R+J=L) and that he is the Prince who was promised, he gets Lightbringer and the end game is he goes to war with the White Walkers with Daeny’s help (with her dragons).
    The books are “A song of Ice and Fire”….Jon Snow is the ice, Daeny is the fire. That’s my theory.

• Drew says:

I agree with your last line. I’m not deeply into the show, but I thought that the fire and ice implication was fairly obvious from the beginning.

• Kalyan says:

Remember Brandon was promised that though he wouldnt walk, he surely would fly! so the ice may be Bran, one of the last two remaing Stark boys

• Avril says:

Love the idea of Jon being Ice to Daeny’s Fire!
      I didn’t see my personal theory of Jon’s ‘death’ in the article – my first thought (after I screamed in disbelief) was that he would come back as a White Walker. He still has his injuries from the epic village battle, where the dead were risen, would that be enough to resurrect him? And would the belated nature of his death somehow make him a hybrid of some kind?

• DL says:

Hell, technically if R+L=J is true (which pretty much everyone believes at this point), then Jon is ice and fire all by himself. You could even call R+L’s love the veritable “song” of ice and fire. ;-)

• m3rcnate says:

Yeah but i think Daenerys (like Jon) is waaaaay too meaty of a character (in the books and show) for Jon to be the Ice & Fire by himself. I think with w/e happens, Daenerys is just too key a character to not be a huge part of the stories end game, same with Jon. Him being up in the north (snow, ice) fighting ice demons and her being down in the south (hot, fire) with dragons…to me they are Ice & Fire.
        But yeah you are right, him being a targaryen kinda makes him a fire too, but she is the mother of dragons, she is FIRE.

• Phulen says:

Well thought theory my freind, i also think jon will be resurrected by the red priestess, well still cant believe jon character gt stab at the end -_- cant get attached to any characters, hp atleast they will keep the mother of dragons out of all this killings. Aggrrr cant wait for s6))

3. Drew says:

Obviously, he is alive. I don’t know about the books, but the show doesn’t exactly do “are they or aren’t they?” deaths… My guess is that it will come back to King’s blood. His death will release him from his oath and he will magically not die because of the whole “power of King’s blood” thing (which of course means that he is a king). There really is no other reason to have the Red Woman show up there. And then, once Jon is back and the Red Woman is of no more use, Davos will find out what she did to Shireen and he will kill her for it.
    The book is called “A Song of Fire and Ice”… It’s going to come down to Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen in the end.

4. kate says:

I have been of the Azor camp just because it ties into the R+L theory and Melisandre showing up at Castle Black when she did and also having Davos still be there. I’m not a book reader so I didn’t think of the warging until discussions immediately after but it still works. I figure we see his body being ushered out of Castle Black and then maybe see him in the season finale but not back truly until season seven so that no one is lying. And while he is mostly Jon he isn’t just Jon anymore. My picture has been that Bran and company set out because they have heard that Azor walks the earth and it’s up to them to find him and it might take them most of the season but they get somewhere like Craster Keep and get cornered by white walkers who probably were bringing up the rear guard by that point and a sword lit by fire saves them we focus in on Bran’s face as he says Jon? And we are waiting a year for season seven. I have a sad real end for Jon though which would come just before the end of the series.

• Chol H Yoon says:

I agree with the Azor comment, but Bran has a different storyline (if you read the book). Not spoiling it for you, but he may be important for the flashback & perhaps John’s resurrection. Either way, we won’t find out until the next book or episode airs next year.

5. fuzzyginger says:

The character of “Jon Snow” is definitively dead. This is not a lie. The character of Jon Targaryen will rise with the assistance of The Red Queen.

6. Ralph says:

The challenge for George Martin is that he spent so many books spreading the field and now he has two books to bring it all back together. The show’s writers don’t have the time or the attention to wait Martin out for what may be an impossible task. This is why they are moving the pieces together. Jon Snow will be placed on the funeral pyre, just as Dany, If he is a true Targarean, will the fire heal him? Or will be become something else? The red lady saw something in the fire that caused her to return to the wall, just saying

• Annie Ansible says:

There’s no reason for him to be placed in a funeral pyre. Fire doesn’t heal Targaryens. Fire kills Targaryens. Dany’s egg hatching was a one-off and it was due to blood magic. That’s why she had to kill Mirri Maz Duur. “Only death may pay for life”. Unless Melisandre sacrifices someone in the fire with Jon… maybe, which I guess is possible. But, seems unnecessary. Maybe in the books she’ll burn Shireen with him. I dunno.

To be clear, Targaryens are NOT immune to fire. Fire does not heal them. Many of them died in fires or as a result of fire.

7. ScottJ says:

“Kill the boy and let the man be born”. Jon SNOW is the boy…the question is who the man will be.

8. PATRICIA RAMIREZ says:

I’M NOT WATCHING SEASON 6 BECAUSE JON SNOW IS DEAD

9. TinLV says:

My theory is that Jon may not show up in season 6, but the show will be renewed for a final season 7 to wrap up the story and Jon will turn up alive, revived by the Melisandre the year before. He will be united with Dani and Tyrion and they will fight and win the war against the Walkers. Only ‘death” can release Jon from his vows as a night’s watchman and allow him to fulfill his destiny. I am one of those who belleves Jon to really be a Targaryen. So I have no doubt he will be back, I just don’t expect it to happen quickly.

10. anonymous347 says:

Lady melisandre will probably bring him, if the Lord of light allows it..

11. Jim says:

I think Jon snow is rob baratheins son and cersais is his mother. In the first season cersais had a miss cartridge when she was just weds to rob. When she seen the child’s black hair she ordered it to be killed. But whoever was to kill the baby didn’t and left the child in honorable Ned Starks hand to raise as his basterd.
    If Jon snow is robs eldest son he is true heir to the throne. Also being half lannister as a unlikely twist.
    Now I don’t know how Jon will come back . But stannis also seen something in Jon and if you remember when Ned was lookin through the linages of the baratheins They were all black of hair and all Ned’s kids are brown excluding Sansa which is red like her mother.
    I have to much time to think. God dam game of thrones

12. My Jon Snow death theory: I think that Jon Snow is well and truly still alive his death was nothing but a vision of what’s going to happen (The Future) that’s been seen by his half brother-Bran… or cousin?
    With Bran not in entire season, what the hell has he been up to? Obviously he would be learning more about his gifts and abilities, and we all know that he’s been able to see bits and bobs from the past and future- Therefor with actual training and learning more about his gifts and what he’s able to do, he would now knows more, sees more, and be more involved. As Bran is beyond the wall I think he gets visions of the white walkers coming and attacking so he’s warned of what’s going to happen, and the same with Jon Snows death- It’s a vision to warn Bran that’s his brother is going to die! There’s not much evidence for this theory but I believe that Bran is to much of an important character and story line to miss a whole season, so why does he? But that doesn’t mean some scenes in season 5 wasn’t to do with Brans story line, does it? I mean in the latest HBO tease for season 6 Bran says “They have no idea of what’s going to happen” Could this mean he does, he’s seen it? Could this be about Jon that he doesn’t know he could die?
    This is just my theory…