iZombie: Did The CW's New Drama Leave You Hungry for More?

iZombie Series Premiere Recap

Being a member of the walking dead can take the life right outta you, as iZombie protagonist Liv learns in the premiere of the CW’s new series.

Aside from the whole barely-alive-albino-skin-wanna-eat-brains-24/7 thing, Liv (played by Once Upon a Time‘s Rose McIver) finds out that one of the biggest bummers of zombification is that you just don’t care about much anymore. Not about your burgeoning career as a heart surgeon. Not about your super hot, super understanding ex-fiancé, Major (Robert Buckley, One Tree Hill). Not about your friend and roomie, Peyton (Aly Michalka, Hellcats).

RELATED iZombie Boss Talks Liv vs. Veronica, Pretty in Pink Baddie, Season 1 Mystery

In fact, all you really do is stock up on self-tanner, lay on your couch and have the munchies for gray matter pretty much all the time. To that end, Liv works at the city morgue, where she can surreptitiously nibble on noggins after the medical examiner Ravi (newcomer Rahul Kohli) has done his thing.

Her friends and family think she has PTSD incurred from being part of a strange attack during a party on a boat five months earlier. She voiceovers that she has “PT-ennui,” and that the attack really was an inexplicable zombie outbreak that left her with a deep scratch on her arm and a rather pallid complexion.

Liv soon realizes that eating a cadaver’s brain imbues her with their thoughts and memories; this makes her very interesting to a new police detective Clive (Malcolm Goodwin, Breakout Kings), who wonders how Liv knows so much about a Jane Doe lying on the slab. Ravi comes up with the quick cover that Liv’s a psychic, and Clive grudgingly accepts Liv’s help — which, by the way, is grudgingly offered.

RELATED iZombie Cast on Extreme Makeovers, Undead David Anders & Brain ‘Flavors’

iZombie Series Premiere RecapA big part of Liv’s general meh-ness stems from thinking her condition is permanent. But Ravi — a former Centers for Disease Control employee who deduces what’s going on and is intrigued, rather than horrified, by his co-worker’s physical state — thinks there may be a cure. (He also thinks there’s a tie between zombie-ism and designer drug called Utopia, which was present at the boat fiasco, but more on that in future episodes.)

Buoyed by his enthusiasm, Liv applies some lip gloss and goes to visit Major. “What if there is hope, even if it’s dim and somewhere in the nebulous future? It’s a hope I need in order to survive,” she voiceovers… moments before spying him playing (zombie-killing, ouch) videogames with another woman. Still, Liv dusts herself off, puts her big-zombie pants on and decides that though she can’t control what happened to her, she “can choose to help find justice for a fellow dead girl.”

So together, she and Clive solve the murder and collar a bad cop in the process. Her partnership with the detective cemented, Liv returns to the morgue on a high. And with a renewed sense of purpose, Liv shows up to her mother’s charity haunted house — dressed as a zombie, of course — and has a good time with her loved ones.

RELATED iZombie: Get Scoop on Undead Sex, Veronica Mars

The series, adapted from the comic book of the same name, comes from Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright, who brought us Veronica Mars. The similarities between that petite powerhouse of a heroine and this one are certainly evident — and that’s not a bad thing at all.

Like Ms. Mars, Liv is quippy, snarky and immediately likable. As the series opens, she’s undergone a very traumatic event that very few people know about. She has a fraught love life. She’s prone to voiceover. And she’s got a black, male partner in crime justice who’s not too bad with the quips, himself. (“Cagney and Pasty.” Heh.)

Bottom line: If you were a fan of the tiny blonde one, you’re likely to enjoy Liv’s undead escapades.

Now we want to hear what you thought about the episode. Grade the premiere via the poll below, then hit the comments to elaborate on your choice!

1. Wee says:

This had the mistake of coming on after that Flash episode. I could not even pay attention to what was happening as my mind was still reeling from that twist. Looked good though

2. Drew says:

I liked it. They may want to tone down the Veronica Mars similarities… The voiceovers are a little distracting since the actresses have similar voices and line delivery. The cop guy, I am not sure about. He dresses like a TV cop from the 90’s and he doesn’t really scream “authority figure” but he might just need time to find the character.
    Overall, I thought it was good.

3. Dean says:

It was okay. And it’s a nice change to how zombies are usually portrayed on tv. Lot of Veronica Mars similarities perspective narration for one thing definitely gonna tune in for more.

4. Tran says:

I give it an A. Fans of Veronica Mars should definitely enjoy iZombie.

5. Joe says:

show was great! She’s cute and it has enough seriousness to keep it from being goofy.

6. Simon Jester says:

I liked it. I think it still has a few rough edges, but given that pilot episodes have to carry a lot of expositional freight, I think it will smooth out nicely in the weeks to come.

7. John NYC says:

Cute show. I’ll be back.

But I do keep half seeing Tinker Belle….

8. Katie says:

I’ve never seen Veronica Mars, and I thought it was fantastic. Very funny Will definitely be tuning in.

9. Cobra says:

Sick to death of shows about vampires, zombies, etc. It’s become so overdone and has been for years now.

• aplwrites says:

It is actually a comic book adaptation. Considering it is a rather fresh take on Zombies (which has been overdone since the Night of the Living Dead), I think your ire should be on comic book properties being overdone the past several years. Monsters on film has been a staple since before sound and is never going away.

• Simon Jester says:

Well unless your remote is broken, I don’t see why it’s an issue. There are plenty of other things to watch if fantasy/supernatural isn’t your preferred genre.

• Cobra says:

Well, unless I missed some big news event about the First Amendment being repealed, I’m still entitled to express my opinion.
        Did I criticize people who like the show? *checks comment* Hmm, nope, I didn’t. Did I criticize the show itself? *checks comment again* Nope, I don’t see that either. All I see is my opinion that the genre/theme is overdone.

• Simon Jester says:

Oh, sweetie, no one’s suggesting you don’t have the right to express an opinion. Just pointing out that you sound like a whiny, petulant child when you do. If that’s what you were going for, then by all means, carry on.

• Jack says:

Shows about zombies are overdone? I only know of two (besides this one). Which ones am I missing?

• Cobra says:

Zombies in media in general are overdone, and in combination with shows about vampires, there are too damn many.

• Meagan says:

I feel the same way about police/medical procedurals. I mean how many versions of CSI’s or NCIS’s or law and orders do we really need? This however was a pretty fresh take on zombies and it was funny, not too many others in this genre have that much humor.

10. Davey Elmer says:

I honestly didn’t think I was going to like the show, but it might end up becoming my new favorite thing on TV. I’m definitely tuning in next week, and can’t wait to see what happens next.

Since I never watched Veronica Mars, this is my first exposure to Rob Thomas’ writing and storytelling style, and the show reminded me of a cross between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Haven.

• HTGR says:

You should definitely check out VM too then. S1 free on Amazon prime. I think the pilot might still be free on iTunes (not sure if the extended director’s cut version is or not).

11. Bwhit says:

I liked it. Liv is really likable and the other characters were great. I recently binged on Veronica Mars (wish I would have found it sooner!) and they are definitely different characters but I like the small similarities. I also loved seeing Robert Buckley on tv again. I will stick around for sure.

12. Ryan says:

“played by Once Upon a Time‘s Rose McIver”

She’ll always be a Power Ranger to me.

• Luli says:

She was a power ranger? which season? I don’t remember her at all.

• Taylor says:

Luli, Rose McIver played Summer Landsdown, the yellow Power Ranger in season 17, Power Rangers RPM. That season aired in 2009. If you ask me, Power Rangers RPM is definitely one of the best, if not the best season in the entire history of the Power Rangers franchise. I’m thrilled that Rose has continued to get roles on successful TV shows, such as Once Upon a Time, since then. I haven’t watched the first episode yet, but iZombie has a great cast and the promos for it all look great, so I really hope it does well. :)

• Diva DIary says:

I’m sorry, but just no. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will always be the best with Time and In Space being up there.

• Cobra says:

Agreed, Diva. Ironically enough, I’ve just started watching the original MMPR on DVD again, and it is an epic flashback to my childhood. The original will always be the best.

• Jose says:

she`ll always be Vivian from Masters of Sex!

13. Sheldon W. says:

I do not see why the pilot for iZombie was so highly regarded. It was adequate enough that I’m curious about what might happen next, but I certainly wasn’t wowed by it.

I found the interactions between Liz and Ravi to be fun, but didn’t care much for Clive – he seemed pretty lame.

Still, I’ll give the show three eps before I decide whether to continue watching or watch something else.

14. Tai says:

It was okay. I admit I was only half paying attention for about the first ten or so minutes because I was kind of bored. It started to pick up after awhile. I don’t think I will be deviating from my Tuesday schedule of Flash/AOS for this but it was okay. Definitely worth a slot on my DVR.

15. Joe says:

Ted Mosby, Medical Examiner.

16. HTGR says:

Very, very promising start. Like it a lot. Def has quite some similarities to VM.

17. bigguy3080 says:

I loved it. She is awesome, plus I love the emo chicks.

18. drhenning says:

Much enjoyed… Good to see Atty Cliff in the fold in Pilot… Will we see more from the Rob Thomas universe involved????

19. aplwrites says:

This is pretty much zombie themed supernatural Veronica Mars… and I aint mad.

20. Christian says:

This is just like medium. A girl working at a morgue knowing stuff about the deceased, helping to solve crimes.
    Lightweight, popcorn with a Castle’ish like humor. Not for me

• Boyer says:

Just like Medium. Except not.

• Simon Jester says:

Um, sure… except in Medium, it was a mother of three who working in the District Attorney’s office who actually *was* psychic and whose cases were not confined to murders. So basically, the only similarity is… a supernatural twist on solving crimes.

21. Sarahl says:

I was wholly underwhelmed. Where was “star” David Anders except for about two seconds? The next Veronica Mars? I think not.

22. Jon says:

If you’re a Veronica Mars fan, I don’t think it’d be possible to not love it based on what we’ve seen thus far.

23. lordgray says:

When I heard about iZombie I thought it was a joke, then when I heard that Rob Thomas was involved I decided to give it a try because I watched a few episodes of Veronica Mars and loved it and I don’t regret it at all. iZombie is funny and original and it has similarities with VM which makes me want to watch it a lot more. Hope this show becomes really succesful

24. Fosho says:

It was a bit of a slow start for me but it was interesting enough for me to give it a couple of episodes. It definitely had a VM tone to it but I hope being a zombie and adult show as aposed to set in high school it will have a slightly darker humor to it. I loved seeing Robert Buckley back on my screen. Can I have more?! My only real negative was the cop, he didn’t convince me at all and I started to feel he was grating toward the end of the episode.

• gdv says:

I liked it (and I only tuned in b/c a huge VM fan), but I agree that the detective actor didn’t seem believable or really mesh with the other actors. I’m hoping it was just pilot jitters and he gets better in the next episode. I also hope it keeps a darker tone. My husband got excited after watching the first few minutes with me and likened it to ‘Dexter’, but was disappointed when he noticed it was a CW show (“the high school channel” as he calls it). I have high hopes for it overall, though.

25. Angelstorm says:

I’m in !

26. HBH says:

I didn’t like it. I tried watching it and watched the whole episode to give it a fair shot, but it was super boring for me. I felt like the cop and the medical examiner were both over acting and the chemistry between the characters seemed forced. I won’t be watching any more episodes.

27. Matt C. says:

Big Veronica Mars fan here, and I just watched the pilot of iZombie and LOVED it! It definitely has a similar vibe to VM. Rob Thomas has such a distinct storytelling style that I adore. I must admit, I was sorta hoping this show would flop, only so Rob would have free time to work on a new VM project of some kind, but now I want this show to stick around for a while.

28. Amanda Cox says:

Was I the only VM fan who heard the call out to the Veronica Mars pilot? “Life’s short and then you die” from iZombie is a lot like Veronica’s “Life’s a bitch until you die.” It made me smile.

29. Rich Abey says:

I’ll have more of that “Cagney & Patsy” thank you!

30. Scott Hedrick says:

The comic book went off on some really weird tangents. I just don’t see how those elements are going to be woven into the TV show. Had this been an original premise, I would have found it much more promising than I do. I’d like to see the comic book, which ended too early, made live-action. I’m tired of adaptations being compromised to the point where there is little in common but names. I will watch the next episode, and that will determine whether or not I watch the following episode. It is a nice take on the overdone zombie genre. I’d like to see her keep all those abilities, instead of them being ignored from now on or even slowly fading.

31. Essie says:

I like it! Going to keep watching, I already like Liv.

32. Kay says:

They should’ve hired Percy Daggs III to play the detective

33. lame says:

I liked the fact that they didn’t seem to take themselves too seriously. I liked the fact that she lives at home and nobody there has a clue, Ahww family unity. Should be fun to see where they go with this storyline. Hopefully they don’t screw it up.

34. jax says:

Super fun! Can’t wait for more!

35. wrstlgirl says:

I’ll give it another episode or two but I was not impressed with the pilot. I was bored.

36. dfhjk says:

I hate the cop character

37. HTGR says:

I think it got even better with the second episode…. and the first one was great!

38. Melvina johnson says:

Wondering if the detective is related to Cuba Gooding jr. Looks & sounds like him.

39. acurat says:

I have watched the first two episodes. Probably will keep watching but it is kind of depressing. To me it is one of those shows where you want the underdog to overcome their obstacles, but is not really given the tools to ever overcome them. Sure Ravi — a former Centers for Disease Control employee – thinks he can solve the problem but will that happen ever? No, the show will be canceled before that happens. It will continue to be a proverbial “mystery of the week” until it wears out its welcome.