Switched at Birth Finale Preview: Bay and Emmett Take an 'Unexpected Turn'

Switched at Birth Season 4 Spoilers

With their relationship on life support, Bay’s decision to visit Emmett in Los Angeles on Tuesday’s spring finale of Switched at Birth (ABC Family, 9/8c) could be just the thing to save it — if her beau wants to give it another shot.

“This whole episode is about them working it out and whether or not he is willing to make it work,” star Vanessa Marano tells TVLine. “I think he’s going to surprise everyone with his decision of where he’s at mentally.”

RELATED Switched at Birth Boss on ‘Murky’ Bay and Tank Consent Story

But even if Emmett does what to salvage their romance, is there still room for Bay in his Southern California world of film school and new friends?

“Where Emmett thinks his life is going at the beginning of this episode is not where it will end up” at the close of the hour, Marano teases.

In case that ominous-sounding answer wasn’t clear enough, the actress hints at a season-ending twist below that will upend viewers’ expectations.

TVLINE | I’m guessing she hasn’t told Emmett that she’s coming to LA.
Why would she do that? That’s stupid! [Laughs] In typical Bay fashion, she’s like, “I’m going to surprise him. That’s a good idea, and it’ll all work out.” [Laughs] Bay goes into every situation thinking, “What’s the worst that could happen? It’s all going to work out.” And, usually, it always doesn’t go the way she’s expecting.

TVLINE | What’s his reaction when she arrives there?
She actually shows up on his film shoot for his student film. So she shows up on the beach, which is the way you want to show up in Los Angeles. That’s really cool. I’ve never shot on the beach before. It was super awesome. I’ve never really played LA for LA in that way before. She shows up there and is like, “Surprise!” And he’s like, “Ahhh. Surprrise. Wasn’t expecting this to happen.” But at the end of the day, the two of them love each other so much that even if they are going through something, they are happy to see one another.

TVLINE | Is he more willing to talk about what’s happened than he was previously?
He surprises everyone in this episode with his willingness to talk about what happened and the way that he’s willing to talk about what happened. It’s a very unexpected turn that Emmett takes with that whole thing.

Switched at Birth Season 4 SpoilersTVLINE | She’s come to work things out, but he’s been so distant lately. Is this a one-sided fight for their relationship?
It seems that it is that way. I don’t think she’s at a place where she’s expecting that. That’s why she wants to go out to Los Angeles to see him. She feels like, “If he sees me face-to-face, he’s not going to be able to avoid me.” This is the Emmett that was so trying to get back together with her after he cheated on her, who has done everything and been at her beck and call and said that they’re meant to be, they’re written in the stars. In her head, [she thinks], “If he sees me in person, that Emmett will come back,” not this Emmett that’s like, “I can’t understand the situation not being black and white” and the Emmett that’s ignoring her phone calls and being distant, awkward and weird. “If he sees me in person, it’s all going to be better.” Again, that maybe isn’t the most thought-through idea, but she wouldn’t be Bay if she thought it through.

RELATED Awkward Creator, HIMYM EP Land Comedy Pilots at ABC Family

TVLINE | What is Bay’s take on Emmett’s new friend Skye?
Oh, she ain’t happy about that! But from her perspective, how could you be? She has every right to be jealous of this girl. A) This girl clearly has feelings for her boyfriend and has made it known, and B) this is a boyfriend who has cheated on her in the past. … They’ve been able to get over the damage, but it doesn’t make it go away. You can forgive, but I don’t think you ever really forget.

TVLINE | Does Bay have any feelings about the fact that Emmett’s making a movie about their relationship, basically?
She doesn’t know that until she gets there. [Laughs] The thing about this episode is every Bay and Emmett scene takes a turn. It takes a positive turn, it takes a negative turn. It takes a positive turn, it takes a negative turn. All of these layers keep getting added into it. Like she shows up, he’s not expecting her to be there. He’s making a movie about their relationship, she’s not expecting that to happen either. Skye’s there! No one was expecting the two of them to ever talk in the same room. It’s a lot of revelations. Everything comes to a head in this episode.

TVLINE | Do you get a sense of closure one way or the other at the end of the finale about their relationship?
[Pauses] Again, you think that you get closure. That’s the thing. Three-quarters into the episode, you think you know how it’s going to turn out and then it takes a turn in the last scene in a way that it’s like, “Oh, I don’t know what’s going to happen now.” We just had this resolve — whether it be a negative or positive resolve, I’m not revealing — but by the last scene of the episode, it’s like, “Oh, that didn’t even mean anything because this turn just happened.”

“Bemmett” fans, are you nervous for the finale now? Hit the comments with your theories on what’s in store!

1. MJ says:

I’m nervous. I want them together but I fear that will not happen and he will say things have changed for him since he has been in LA and he wants to start something with Skye.

2. kn1231 says:

I could care less if Emmett and Bay stay together or not, but if they do break up please let the show forget about Emmett for a bit. I can’t stand Skye, so I don’t want to see anymore of her than I have to.

• Lizo says:

I like Skye actually. She’s interesting, kind, is learning a new language, pushes herself.

• HayHay says:

Whoa! She is learning a new language just like Bay and every other person in the show did! (Well mostly everyone)

• R says:

If you think about some of the previous episodes- Emmett was pretty much forcing bay to go back to him when she met other people. I liked Emmett a lot I won’t lie but now it’s gone over the top with all his drama. I hope bay can meet someone interesting and loves her with ALL his heart. And means it when he says I love you.

• Jennifer says:

Agreed! Get rid of Emmett!

3. Lizo says:

I’m so nervous!!! I just want them to be happy! I want Emmett to stop being so ridiculous about her assault. But it’s a good story to tell, because a lot of men would respond the way he has. I want all the happy things for Bay! Ug love this show so much.
    Also, can this show stop giving Daphne the most annoying love interests? They’ve all been clones of each other and about as interesting as a sack of potatoes. Please do something different. Plus, the show hasn’t really done a LGBTQ story, so it would be a great way to explore Daphne’s sexuality if she explored a bit; come on, have her be bi.

4. natalia says:

i’m watching episode 17

5. Mari says:

PLESE, please don’t let Bay be pregnant.
    And if she is, which way will they go?
    Have them break up and reunite at the end of the episode because of a baby, or have them break up because Emmett can’t stand not knowing if it’s his or Tank’s?
    And if they do break up, let it be for good.
    I adore them together, but can’t stad this on/off thing anymore.

And I don’t think they’ll make Emmett so cliché that he would dump Bay for Skye ( however great she is for some), it’s just not who the Emmett post cheating is, it would be a regression for him.

Maybe they’ll break up but then Emmett decides to go back to KC for her?
    Can’t seem to find a satisfying solution.

6. brandydanforth81 says:

I hope they don’t break up but I’m afraid they will & suspect they will.

7. Pity program says:

Rodzice wiedzą co jest dla dziecka zawsze.

8. co2bl says:

Initially, I was a fan of Emmett and his relationship with Bay, but after he cheated, I just lost interest. I would rather see them finally end this relationship and find a new story line for Bay. Let her do something with her art, let her meet someone that way.

9. aph1976 says:

I think Bay and Emmett are going to stay together but i’m wondering if Bay begins to wonder if she’s pregnant at the end of the episode.Plus i read somewhere that Tank will come back in the second half of season 4.So if Bay is possibly having his baby that could be why Tank returns.

10. Robin says:

I don’t like Emmett with Bay.

11. Jaylee Hudson says:

They need to stay together or my whole face will be red with tears going down my face every millisecond

12. emma says:

i just saw the episode!!! why did they have to break up?? i was literally yelling at the tv!!!!! they have to get back together. BEMMET FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

13. Mrs.S says:

I just watched the episode!! why why why I love them two together this is dumb the reason I watch the show is for them too!! plz change that they were a great couple and so cute together!!! Really,Really,Really!!! So sad right now!

14. Brandi says:

I literally cried my eyes out!!!
    I want bay and emmett to stay together!!!

15. ranch123 says:

Why can’t they let anything good happen to Bay? Daphne is so annoying and they keep bailing her out and dumping on Bay. Man I don’t even want to watch. What are they doing with Toby? He looks horrible. Come on writers throw a bone to the good characters. Get rid of skye… ugh…

• Nimisha says:

What Emmett did was incredibly stupid. I used to like his character but now I am not so sure. He acted stupid and he is going to regret it. And I suggest that Bay should not take him back after this when he comes begging for forgiveness.
      I like Daphne and Mingo. But yeah, there have been so many guys who are all similar.
      Oh and also, now I like Ty better than Emmett. At least he never cheated on Bay.

• Jillian says:

Yes she has gone through so much and deserves and good guy. Daphne is the one who made they big mistake of vandalizing but Bay still took the fall even though it was her choice she should at least get the benefit of the doubt get Bemmett back together!!

16. Ashkat says:

I want bay and Emmett together but him being mad at her for something her and her ex boyfriend did that she couldn’t control is just plan crazy, then him all the way in la with some girl name Skye! Um no! Not right at all instead of pointing fingers at bay maybe he should come out instead of being a jerk and just tell bay what he has been doing with skye hanging out with her, having feelings for her?! It’s not just me that thinks that wrong! A lot of people can consider that being wrong to bay! She’s out poring her heart out to this guy even though he thinks it was a choice, and he is just sitting there acting like he can care less what bay is trying to say or fix! He needs to step up be a man and actually stop playing with her heart!

17. tom says:

Just watched episode 10, there is no way the writers can put emmet and bay together again, Bay has to meet some one who loves her for all her faults and the nice person she is, Emmet only got one thing on his mind he thinks he will be this great movie director, he is very sort sighted he only got to direct this movie because of him and bay story line could bay thro a spanner in works and stop the movie or sue them for not asking her permission to show a film about her life, tank may also sue Emmet and the college for making accusations that he raped her. It will be interesting what the writers come up with how this pans out. After all its just a story?

• Marie says:

I think Skye is a horrible mistake that will cost the writers in the end. The more Emmett sways away from Bay, the less he matters as a character. As a woman, the writers are in serious need of some sexual assault education.

• thomas oneill says:

Thank you for that statement you are the first one who thinks emmet and bay should not be together again. Lets hope the writers dont let us down.

18. sabrina says:

I think its wrong for Emmett to do that bay gave him another chance after cheating and bay didnt cheat she was rapped . That Skye girl don’t like she in the way. bemmett forever what happened Emmett?

19. toneeye says:

What a misleading interview answer! “You think you know what’s going to happen, and then the final scene happens and you think, oh none of that even mattered because this just happened.” Nothing changed in the final scene. They broke up on the beach. They were still broken up in the final scene. What the hell was she even referring to??

• casi says:

I totally agree! That part of the interview made no sense. Unless they cut something from the episode last minute.

• Chelsie says:

I thought she was referring to the part where Bay couldn’t throw Emmett’s stuff away yet (still have hope or something) but I do admit that isn’t a gamechanger

• toneeye says:

Yeah, I mean ABC Family is notorious for misleading promos, but this is the actress seemingly giving a very misleading interview about something that just didn’t happen. I don’t get it, unless the network told her to give that mislead for some reason.

20. Melissa Howard says:

I really want bay n Emmett together. They make a great couple. I hate seeing the season finale with them breaking up. Can’t wait until the nxt season starts. My daughter and I love this show can’t go through the week without watching the show….it’s so great of a show n hope it continues for a long time dnt ever wanna c it end.

21. BayandTyForever says:

Aww it was sad to see Bay so upset, but I’m glad that she and Emmet broke up. I didn’t want her to move out to L.A. just like that–she needs to explore her own path. Hopefully she’ll be a successful artist and find her way back to Ty…<3 I really hope Bay and Ty end up together…I feel like there's just so much there still…he was her first..and they just look so ADORABLE together! <3

• tom says:

Yes Emmet should have a rest from the series, not so sure about Ty coming back, going over old ground again gets a little boring. Let her meet someone who has had there heart broken, and they fall in love.Then let Emmet back and Ty and see what Smuks they have been

• Lily Williams says:

This is exactly what I want, ty and bae are best together, I hope she does make her way back to him and the baby should totally be his. He is the only one she wanted to have sex with. He was her first. Ty and bae forever 💞👀🎉

22. sharry says:

i hated it, I don’t like Syke and I don’t like tank, when you start bringing in more people it is the beginning of the end-done with Switched, and it was always a must see-Emmett needs to grow up and tell Skye seriously he is not interested-don’t like the new Emmett

23. Rue says:

Emmett should realize that Bay didn’t even know she was hooking up with Tank until the next morning. Emmett cheated on Bay too so he should understand. Bay loves Emmett and Emmett loves her but he can’t find that place right now just like Bay was when Emmett cheated on her. They will get back together this is just a bump along the way. Emmett will find that spot in his heart. BEMMETT FOREVER!!

24. Eliza says:

I’ve seen the ending, but, now, I hope that Bay will move on and be happy. I wouldn’t blame her, if she did (I’d probably start shipping them). But then I want Emmett to come back and be all jealous and Bay to be like, “It’s too late, you made your choice.”

• tom says:

Yes i concur i hope she meets someone who truly loves her not some one who thinks because he is making a movie he want need her any more.She made a mistake getting drunk, bay did not have to tell him not like him who did not tell her. she now knows what sort of person he is, a selfish unfeeling person he truly is. Remember the writng he put on the wall (FOREVER) He is a liar as well.

• bri says:

Omg same but do u think if she’s pregnant with emmetts baby he will want to be with her again still wondering how that would work out

25. destiny! 💗 says:

I HOPE Emmett and Bay stay TIGETHER
    IM UR BIGGEST FAN

26. Crystal says:

When does episode 11, season 4 come on?

27. Laura Donaldson says:

When does it come back on? I just ran across it on Netflix and watched all 3 seasons in about 6 weeks. I didn’t know it was still on the air so I bought the first half of the 4th season on Amazon instant. Kinda hooked now!

28. Syl says:

Does anyone know when season 5 will start showing

29. B vitamins work the best when taken together, but if
    you already get enough of the other B vitamins, you can buy biotin by itself in tablet form.
    There’s one secret that truly successful relationships all share and it isn’t all about love and sex.
    This effect is brought about by chemical compounds in the pill.

30. Ragon says:

I can’t stand Skye. She’s obviously trying to steal Emmett & when Bay came to visit him she just turned away! The bemmett relationship isn’t going to work out…I just know it! They can’t go five minutes without getting into another fight & their relationship just feels different than it was their first time they dated. Emmett’s changed so much! Does he br care that Baw flew all that way JUST FOR HIM?!?! I’m eager for season 5, but a little nervous too!

31. phoebe says:

I really love this show. I wish Emmet will stop acting like a fool and love Bay.

32. phoebe says:

I wish Emmet will love Bay.

• JM says:

Emmet is over confident. He is lucky Bay gave him a toss to begin with. He’s a late bloomer and a spoiled brat. He chased poor Bay forever becausehe always gets what he wants, and when she needed a guy with integrity, he bailed on her. She’s smarter than him anyway. She’ll be fine without him. He’s weak. When Skye finds out he is using her, she’ll get what Bay got, nothing. He’s a fair weather lover.

33. Star says:

I want Bae and Emette to stay together! They have been through a lot, espically Bae’s dad passing away. I wish he would stop this nonsense. I have a feeling that they are going to break up for good. If that happens I’m probably going to stop watching the show. I read some previous comments and if bae’s pregnant then that could go 1 of 2 ways. 1, The baby is Emmett’s and they stay together(which I hope happens). 2, its Tanks and that’s why he comes back. Also, about this Skye girl. She overstepped her boundaries, knowing he had a girlfriend. I don’t like Skye but if Bae and Emmete break up then he is probably going to date Skye😭

34. Star says:

I don’t want Bae and Emmett to break up😭😭😭. They have been through a lot together. I don’t like Skye and I think she definitely overstepped her boundaries with Emmett knowing he had a girlfriend. Who kisses another girls guy😠. Anyways back to the point, I think that they will break up for good this time which im sad to hear. I read some previous comments and I know people think bae’s going to be pregnant. This can either go one of two ways. One, The babies Emmett’s and they get back together or Two, the babies Tank’s and they get together. I don’t like tank and I think they need to keep him for good out of the show. He doesn’t seem like Bae’s type.

• leigh says:

you are so right

• Jillian says:

Yes if bay is going to be pregnant it should be Emmett’s not Tanks I HATE tank and Skye she should stay away! But I have a feeling that it will be tanks since the last time she had sex with someone it was tank and when Bay and Emmett had sex they didn’t use anything but she took the morning after pill. So maybe it’ll be Regina which would be crazy! Or maybe Daphne. I also don’t want Ty back they might as well kill him off or never have him return I want Bay with Emmett. Emmett needs to man up and get bay back I know he loves bay and he will try and get her back
      Bemmett forever!!!

35. leigh says:

i hope bay isn’t pregnant and most likely it is probably daphne that is pregnant hopefully they change their mind and no one is pregnant.i hope bay and emment take a break for a while.and ty should come back and apolygize for lying about cheating and then they stay friends.hopefully after that she finds someone new and emment and ty get jealous and fight over her or something.hopefully it is katherine that is pregnant she is the only onewith a solid relationship. i don’t want it to be reginathat is pregnant because i hate the guy she is with.

36. Margaret says:

I am super excited for the show to start up again. Can’t wait for it to start! I believe Emmett and Bay will work it or at least I hope

37. Allie says:

Look I like this show because bay and Emmett are together I want to know now to continue or to stop watching this show now. They have been through so much and now she follows Emmett to be with him and he dumps her I mean really. Please have them get back together. Long live Bemmett

38. tiffany says:

i rather it be ty and bay. just saying..

39. abdiel says:

U ppl don’t know what your talking about Emmett didn’t do anything wrong so he doesn’t have to forgive anyone. Bay put her self in that situation with tank and now she regrets it. Honestly I would like to see them together they really are a power couple but he doesn’t forgive her he’s not the bad one. She made her choice and every action has it’s consequence bays gonna have to learn to deal with it and move on….

40. Hilary says:

I totally agree on what you are saying and yes I am nervous about this they are going crazy and I have been asked about this I feel that they are more of I’m 16 and I’m in love couple not a I’m 17/18 and I’m in college and across the Country from my boyfriend! So I really hope that this works out personally I think that Emmett should leave the school especially since Skye is there I mean every can see that when Emmett thought bay cheated he rushed to Skye to give up studying to go watch a movie with her and to be honest we all know what he was thinking……

• thomas oneill says:

I hope this is the end of bay and emmett, Bay took the blame for her sister, also forgave emmett for having sex with another girl, He beg her to take him back, then wrote on a wall that they where for ever, she went all the way to see him to be with him for him to be cold and indifferent to her.Bay can not forget how he used her was he getting revenge on bay because she did not forgive him right away. Maybe? I hope Bay gets on with her life and will find some one who loves her know matter what.

41. Brenda says:

Take Emmett out but don’t put tank back in.!

42. Jillian says:

I have watched the last show of season 4 and was heart broken by Emmett and Bay’s break up, I feel in love with their relationship, they were meant to be together! I know that Emmett has cheated on Bay and Bay has sort of cheated on him too, but they still managed to get back together after Emmett cheated and I know they didn’t get back together even when Bay kind of cheated but they still are passionately in love they are just channing in different ways. After I watched the last episode of season 4 I went back and watched episodes were Emmett and Bay’s relationship started to develop and they seemed very much in love despite their differences Emmett is deaf and Bay is hearing, they still managed to,love each other Bay learned sign language to be able to have conversations with Emmett. Maybe the reason why Emmett broke things off was because he need some space to figure things out since everything was changing but Bay didn’t want that and now I think that in season 5 Emmett will finish his movie and since the movie is supposed to have a bad ending in the relationship then he will realize that he doesn’t want his relationship with Bay to end so he will fight to get her back even though Skye will try and make romance with him even though she knows that Emmett is still trying to get over being in love and if Emmett does try to get Bay back she will push him away because she is to heart broken. But I do believe that they could make her sort of move on but the still have feeling for Emmett and they would eventually get back together. I believe this will happen only because Emmett and Bay are main characters and if they choose to write Emmett out the equation for a while they will have to write him back as either Daphne’s friend again which won’t happen because he is still made are her or as Bay’s boyfriend. They really aren’t going to have him hook up with Skye or maybe they will but it won’t work out and he will still won’t Bay. So that’s what hope is for even if Bay and Emmett don’t get back together immediately that will eventually after Datong someone because each person in the cast who are single such as Bay, Daphne, and Toby have been guest stars and are eventually written out of the equation and the only person right now that Bay has dated is Emmett that is not a guest star so the writers can keep them together as long as they want.
    Please get Emmett and Bay back together they are a power couple!!!!!!!

43. Jillian says:

Please get Emmett and Bay back together they are a power couple!!!!!!! Come on people!!!

44. Jordan says:

I hope they stay together! I used to be ADDICTED to playing on my computer but when I found this show I got hooked (mainly because of the bemmett relationship) and it would have been a waste of my time having to go through all of those tissues and all of that time for them! They NEED to be together (p.s. I love Ty’s hair.)

45. Writinggirl says:

I WAS SOOO HEARTBROKEN WHEN I WATCHED THE BEMMETT BREAK UP!!!!! I know that Bay and Emmett will get back together… They have been through so much together and Bay needs someone who has been there for her through everything. There is so much history and chemistry between the two of them, they are bound to be together!! BEMMETT is basically the only reason I watch the show so please don’t make me wait another season and a half for them to get back together and then have them break up a couple episodes later… Let them be happy for once

46. Mercedez says:

Wow ! I’m scared because I could be wrong but I have total faith in bay an Emmett I know they’ll get pass this I mean come on !!! Its them where talking about …emmetts just clearly confused between Skye an bay an his love for bay is way deeper then anything to him he says its because of his school work an he can’t focus if she’s around but that’s not true ! Emmett wouldve quit that school an came back to Kansas with bay in a heart beat !!! But like I said total faith ! An I’m so mad that they left us at the worst possible part everyone is on the edge of there seats here !!!

47. Kadijah coleman says:

I think Emmett is right the spark that him and bay had is fading cause she is pushing him away he doesn’t want to talk about tank cause he feels bad he couldn’t do anything and for yelling at bay and loves her with all his heart and always will he just wants to make a life so that when bay comes back that she will be apart of it all bay is doing is pushing him away.. I think that they should have Skye get with a new boyfriend and have Emmett fight for bay cause she is only thinking about herself they are a power couple he never lied he didn’t want to tell her about the film cause he knew how she would react and he liked it cause its his career
    I’m on team Emmett and bay Skye should just go they just need to work it out cause Emmett’s a great person that bay just walks all over instead of giving him a chance when he is in mad love for her

• Marie says:

Bay said it in the finale, Emmett is weak! He is struggling to see the grey. Either she was raped or cheated. Bay blames herself because she was drunk. Emmett breaking up with her confirms that he blames her too. It’s the classic, she asked for it response. Totally stupid, I know! But the writers have definitely given that impression. Why haven’t the writers mentioned that underage drinking is illegal. It goes as far as to seem to condone it. Why are there no cops arresting these kids? Some of these teenage viewers stem the moral compass from these shows and your teaching them underage drinking is okay!

48. Kadijah coleman says:

I love bemmett but bay isn’t pregnant she already had the test and she’s not worried don’t hate just cause Emmett strud up sometimes but so has bay and at the end of season 4 how Emmett says they don’t like the same things that’s a good thing if your the same you’ll be bored with each other your a power couple cause your both so different that it works
    Good team BEMMETT 💑👏

• Jillian says:

Well I looked at spoilers and it said that someone is going to be pregnant and since bay was raped she could be pregnant and it be tanks which I definitely don’t want!!!! And if it is Daphne I mean she hasn’t really had much sex so yea but I think it would be better if it was bay being pregnant and it being Emmetts so that a chance of them coming back together. They did have unprotected sex when they got back together even tho she to morning after pill research says that that doesn’t all was avoid pregnancy so that could be how they write if they make Bay pregnant

• Marie says:

Guys, do better research please! It’s Toby who becomes a father, neither girl is pregnant. I am very curious to see what Melanie has to say to Bay. The pictures show her signing time. I think she will tell Bay, Emmett just needs time to sort out his feelings.

49. Yazmine says:

it is not bemmett is is Bae and emmet and there nick name is eBae like ever one should know that if they actually watched the show u would know like I am just saying 😑💁🏻❤️👏🏻👻