Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison Talks Ichabod's 'Stiff Upper Lip,' Hopes for a Chance to 'Be Brilliant' in Season 3

Sleepy Hollow Season 3 Spoilers Tom Mison

After Monday’s time-warp of a Sleepy Hollow season finale, star Tom Mison has a somewhat startling idea for the direction in which he’d like to take Ichabod, should the bubble series return for a third season.

(Keep in mind, [Spoiler Alert!] Capt. Crane watched his son die in the season’s penultimate hour, then was involved in — though not directly responsible for — his witchy wife’s demise in the finale.)

RELATED Exclusive Sleepy Hollow Post Mortem: EP Talks [Spoiler]’s Death, Missing Horsemen and That Crucial Selfie

“I’d like to see him put on a really big grin, have a big smile on his face and carry on, stiff upper lip, keep your chin up, pip pip British, et cetera while underneath, my god, he killed his entire family!,” the actor says, laughing.

He’s joking, kinda. Following our exclusive post mortem chat with Sleepy showrunner Mark Goffman, read on for Mison’s take on the season-ender, Katia Winter and John Noble’s exits (for now, at least) and just what that cell-phone passcode might really mean.

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | Ichabod kills Katrina, in part to save Abbie. That’s got to be a hard choice.
He wants to stop her and he wants to defend Abbie. It’s just in the tussle, her knife goes into her heart. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

TVLINE | I can’t imagine that Ichabod will let himself off the hook for that very easily.
No. That’s why I was keen on it being partly accidental. I think it would be too much of a turn on a sixpence if he suddenly grabbed a knife and stabbed his wife. If he intentionally killed her, no matter what she was doing, I’d find that difficult to believe. I don’t think that would be particularly realistic. So the fact that it was accidental but he was doing the right thing because he had to protect Abbie and [Katrina] had tried to kill him a lot, it’s very delicate. It’s a delicate line to walk… If we go into a third season, of course there’s going to be the guilt. There’s also, I suspect, the fact that Abbie was the one who shot Henry… Abbie killed his son, and then he killed his wife. That could open up lots of doors… or they could best be left shut.

TVLINE | Ichabod could go down a dark path in Season 3. Is that something you’d want to explore with him?
I don’t think he’s the kind to do that, actually. I don’t think he would want anyone to see how much he’s hurting. He would want to get on with it. They made a choice. Henry and Katrina made their decision to turn dark. Abbie and Ichabod made their decision to fight against it, and that’s the decision and we’re going to go with, and I’m going to be strong and we’ve got other battles to fight. This is what I’d like to see: him put a lid on it and let those emotions just bubble underneath. Much like we saw in Season 1 when he was so eager to hide his emotions and then there’d just be outbursts, like when he went completely nuts against the scarecrow root monster. And, I guess, the built-up tension that let him go nuts on Solomon Kent in this season. Little bursts of uncontrollable violence, because he’s trying to keep everything under wraps.

RELATED Where Is Sleepy Hollow‘s Kindred? Tom Mison Has a Marvel-ous Theory

TVLINE | What were Katia Winter and John Noble’s last days on set like — given that they won’t be back, at least not for the foreseeable future?
Oh man, I was so bummed. “For the foreseeable future.” Who knows what’s going to happen? But when it was their last day, for all intents and purposes, that’s it. God, I’m going to miss both of them a lot if we don’t work together again. John is so incredibly classy and such a brilliant actor. What a treat to get to play with him for two years. And Katia, these last few episodes, you give her something really meaty to do, and I think she’s cracking. I think she’s a really great actress, and it’s a shame that it took so long to take her away from the damsel-in-distress trope and give her something juicy. Because she relished it and went with it, and I thought it was very exciting to watch. I’ll miss her, as well. We’ve become very good friends in the past two years.

TVLINE | These episodes seem like a reboot or a re-centering of the series. Is that an accurate assessment?
Yeah, if we do get a third season, it would definitely be a reboot. It certainly felt, after watching [“Awakening”], particularly the last 20 minutes of it, it certainly felt like we’ve acknowledged the show that everyone loved, and we can still do it… If there is no third season, then it certainly feels like ending it on a high and rounding it off nicely.

TVLINE | You say that very casually — “If there is no third season” — but I can’t imagine it’s an easy thing to think about.
No, it’s not. I’m certainly not bored. I think there are still lots of exciting stories to tell. I think rounding off this season with the core group — with me, Nicole [Beharie], Lyndie [Greenwood] and Orlando [Jones] — all together, that’s a pretty exciting foursome to send off and be brilliant. I think there’s lots of potential there. I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of watching Lyndie run around and kick people. [Laughs] Lyndie has been our secret weapon. Jenny is such an amazing character… I hope if there was a third season, that she’d have an awful lot more kicking people. [Laughs] She does more than just kick people. I can’t say “kick ass,” because it doesn’t suit an English accent.

PHOTOS Quotes of the Week: Zingers From Scandal, Jane the Virgin, Sleepy Hollow and More

TVLINE | What was it like to go back and play an Ichabod who has never seen something like a smartphone?
It was nice to approach that in a new way this time. [Abbie] sends him to her iPhone, and he doesn’t believe that something like that can exist. Whereas when he comes forward to the modern day, he knows that everything around him is tangible and it’s there right in front of him. It obviously exists, but my God, it’s weird. Whereas when it’s on his home turf, when you’re bringing this weird little iPhone, this weird thing that he’s never seen before, and you’re taking that into his manner, he’s not going to believe it’s anything other than, well, witchcraft, probably.

TVLINE | Her passcode is his birthday.
‘Shippers of the world, unite. [Laughs]

TVLINE | All I’m saying is, there’s only one other person whose birthday was ever my password to anything, and —
— is that your husband? Right. Right. Well, finally, finally it’s Abbie who can be accused of ‘shipping and not just me!

TVLINE | That’s because, in interviews, Nicole Beharie isn’t saying in things like, “They’re drawn to each other.”
But it’s true, isn’t it? And Nicole, you only need to look at her, she thinks it. Of course she does. [Laughs] She’s just better at this than I am.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. TVPeong says:

Awww… I hope they get a third season

• jean says:

If. You. Bring back the son at least him younger. And bring back good Katrina ichabb son should at least look as young as him not retirement age.

2. Taylor says:

His interviews are always a delight! He is very honest and thoughtful with his answers. I love the bit about the ichabbie shipping as well. So hoping for a third season. I am not ready to be done with this wonderful show.

3. TaMara says:

So charmed by him. And he brings all that to Ichabod, which makes him so irresistible.

4. Tvmama says:

I’m also hoping for a third season. I didn’t like most of season 2, so the reboot seems like a good thing.

5. herman1959 says:

Fox really should renew the show for a third season. I’ll bet they don’t anything nearly as good to replace it with.

6. sladewilson says:

They NEED a third season. WE NEED a third season. FOX – WE WANT A THIRD SEASON!!!!!

7. Donna says:

I will never tire of reading about the care and thought that Tom Mison puts into portraying Ichabod Crane. If this is the end for SLEEPY HOLLOW (and I sincerely hope it is not!), we can all be thankful that it brought this wonderful actor and charming man to our attention.

8. sam says:

God no, no more outbursts from Ichabod. Hasn’t it been established that the Crane drama is boring? No more manpain, just turn over a new leaf and make this show fun again.

• Heck No says:

Really. You want a guy who just basically killed his family for the cause, who is still out-of-sorts 250 years out of time to NOT feel anything? Really? No thank you. I don’t want to watch automatons battling demons with no effect on the psyches. Boooring. These are *people* doing this. It’s going to have an effect on them. It *should* have an effect on them–and this goes for Abbie, too. Watching them make these sacrifices, BE AFFECTED BY THEM, and still soldier on is a large part of what makes this show a cut above.

• Angela says:

This. Drama and “manpain” are what you’re gonna get when characters die, especially if said characters who die are your wife and child, and you were involved in the events that lead to their deaths. And like you said, the same thing will apply to Abbie, too. Corbin’s death had an impact on her, and even though Irving is (hopefully) back to normal, I imagine she’ll still deal with some lingering issues over that, too, with learning to trust him again.
        I’m all for bringing back the humor and fun again as well, but to ask for there to be no fallout or drama from these deaths would be ridiculous.

• sam says:

I didn’t say I don’t want him to feel anything. He teared up in the finale and he moved on. S3 should begin one or two months after this event and Ichabod should be his normal self. Abbie has made sacrifices as well, but not once has the show allowed her moments of grief beyond those key episodes. Let the Crane drama die with this finale. No more Crane drama. He’s had these entire 2 seasons. Enough!

• Lisa says:

I don’t think someone can “tear up” and then move on from killing his wife. And watching his son be killed. And no Crane family drama does not mean no Crane emotional response. And the reality is, Crane’s life since he came into the 21st c has essentially been completely broken. So yeah, he’s got a lot to deal with. Whereas Abbie’s has actually been slowly put back together. And frankly, I’d like to see more emotion from her. As she’s written, she’s too stoic. It’s boring.

9. Fell in love with Sleepy Hollow all over again during the Season finale. So many interesting things set up for the future – I so hope we get to see it unfold!

10. Pattie Kaiser says:

My hubby and I have been “Sleepyheads” since the very first episode. I hope they don’t cancel this show. There’s SO much left to explore in it! Can’t wait till next season!

11. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Saw the finale last night going flipping btw Scorpion and thought it was alright. As for Crane killing Katrina it had to happen at some point I liked her @ first in S1 but after that she became a bit of a drag the season overall was blah. But I was very happy to John Noble again after seeing him on Fringe! I hope S3 (if it goes through) will be better like S1!

12. Janet ortiz says:

I sincerely am keeping my fingers crossed that this is not the end,of the best show I’ve seen in a long time, Slee Hollow deserves a comeback! GOOD LUCK SLEEPY HOLLOW!!!!

13. Janet ortiz says:

ILoved last night’s episode. Although, I loved Katrina, I love Ichabod more! Sleepy Hollow has to come back!

14. Tamra says:

I absolutely love this show, very few shows have me so captivated that I cannot do anything else while they are on but this show delivers so much!! Truly hoping for a third season and more!!

15. Matt C. says:

Tom Mison is such a fun, insightful guy. I can’t imagine FOX letting the show go. Season 3 could/should rise significantly in ratings after the way the finale ended. It was amazing!

16. I’ve been avoiding interviews with Mison mainly because I was steadfast in my desire to not reward this show for the bad decisions it made this season and I knew if anybody could weaken my resolve it would be this guy.

17. Temmere says:

I’m done with this show because I hated what they did with Katrina so much. She was poorly handled all season, and then that complete 180 to being a murderous psychopath… I don’t care if there’s a third season, because I won’t be watching.

18. pamela says:

Fox has nothing to lose and nothing better to put on to at least give sleepy a third (final?) season.

19. Car says:

Tom is always so delightful and seems to have no end to great answers when interviewed.
    Sleepy Hollow proved it has what ppl want when writers came through with some pretty awesome stuff in the last two epi’s.
    Fox needs to renew Sleepy! There is so much more story to tell!

20. Hera says:

Love his interviews! I really hope FOX renews Sleepy Hollow for season 3, especially since they rebooted this season towards the end. I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to replace it with something better. So give us another season!!

21. Dunehirl says:

This finale brought everything that was missing this season. I hope FOX will see its way clear to giving Sleepy Hollow a third season. I just love it.

22. Love this show! If they don’t renew it on FOX I really hope they will at least consider FX. This last episode was the best TV I’ve seen in a long time! Tom and Nicole are brilliant!

23. Gail says:

I am glad they wrapped the current story lines and did not leave anything hanging. The final episode could serve as a series finale if the show doesn’t get renewed.

24. Christine says:

I’m so excited for a season 3! I got my friends who had quit the show earlier this season to watch the last 2 episodes and they are hooked again! Please renew Fox! Its got the season 1 feeling again! Soo looking forward to how they handle Orion, headless, etc etc. Also, I gotta admit that though I was disappointed with much of season 2, it was still wayyy better than most of the shows on Fox and the other networks.

25. Pat says:

I finally had a chance to watch this finale and I thought it was great. I loved when Abbie was able to see Grace but was unable to spend hardly any time with her because Grace had to hurry up and cast that reverse spell. My fingers and toes are crossed that we will be seeing a renewal for the third season. As Grace said to Abbie that she has to fill in the blank pages in that book because of what she will be encountering as a witness in the future, we the viewers would like to see the stories that she will be writing about.

26. AW says:

This is a wonderful interview with Tom Mison! He’s such an amazing actor. I look forward to seeing him in Season 3, which I hope it will happen.

27. katedfw says:

FOX NETWORK: We want S3!!!!!! Tom and Nicole are simply fantastic together and I love the show!

28. Sabrina says:

I don’t know about everyone else, but I really did like season 2. I guess there were a few episodes that slowed the season down, but I liked every episode. I am a little bummed that Abraham wasn’t in it as mush. To me, you can’t have Sleepy Hollow without a Headless Horseman. And I wished the Kindred came back. Not sure how I feel about Katrina’s death. All I know Is that Abraham is going to be peeved at them both when he finds out Katrina is dead. I loved that Abby went back in time and that her’s and Ichabod’s roles were reversed. I hope that the go for a season 3. I’m already waiting for season 2 to come out on DVD. I just don’t think that this is a good place to end the series. I mean, they still have the Horseman of Death to deal with. Please please please come back for season 3.

29. Ali says:

I hope FOX gives the show another chance. I didn’t hate this season the way a lot of people did, but it definitely wasn’t as good as season 1. However, the finale was really good — Katrina’s death aside — and if they shift the focus back to the core 4, I can see season 3 being really strong. As long as the show-runners realize that the heart of this show is the Ichabod, Abbie, Jenny, Frank team-up and they focus on developing those characters and their relationships with one another, I can see it returning to season 1 quality. I hope the show — and this talented cast — gets a chance to prove itself again.

30. Rinat says:

I absolutely love SLEEPY HOLLOW. This is the first TV show that I have totally fallen in love with. Great characters great story line. Absolutely best show on TV.

31. Janis Miller says:

Please don’t cancel Sleepy hollow . It is so nice to have something that hits many areas. History, bible,sci-fi and pulls from a arenas without going into like Soooooo many shows, like all of the current days crime , FBI,CSI and so many more shows of Evil or gross graphic yet predictable many shows today are pretty much the same. Lets face it there could be others that had spells on them and need Ichabods and Abbies help. There has got to be other prophecies to deal with.

32. prish says:

This was the best show of the season! Thanks, and holding our breaths for #3.

33. susant says:

i am from india & love sleepy hollow. yes i want 3rd season.

34. Robin says:

I can’t believe there is a possibility they won’t bring it back!

35. bryen says:

C’mon…season three this September sweeps. Really love this show and now want to to reenact rev.war because of this show.

36. Laura A. Harris says:

Tom Mison is so great playing this character because he came from The British Shakespeare Theater. He carry’s himself so well. There is nothing phony about him. Please we earned season Three.

37. There has to be a third season! Our family watches this show faithfully!

38. Claire says:

Let’s have a third season please. I’m not ready to let this show go!

39. Cheryl says:

Abbie likes Ichabod. She shows it in so many ways! She says it when that when she sees him in purgatory she was going to drink the water because it was him..She says he is her biggest weaken! Ichabods weakness is his family. You see Abbie make him rest when he is wanting to work. She depends on him from the very first show! He is there for her all the time! When she went to the Sandman he was there for her! Him being her password was more for him to believe what was happening. I love this show. The two of them are perfect for each other and not as a boyfriend and Girl friend. Oh yeah, remember to make people have English accents when necessary!;) I love this show!

40. sailingsam says:

Fox will be so stupid to cancel this show…great cast and story set up and still so much possibilities for amazing story telling..

41. Sleepy Hollow has great leading characters! Please keep this show, and ditch the extra stuff that dragged down the story lines. The writers need not concern themselves with the “McGuffins” or monsters of the week. Sleepy Heads just want a steady storyline that involves Ichabod and Abbie solving mysteries for truth, justice, and the American way!!
    Also, bring back the continuous story lines, ie what ever happened to Abbie’s old boyfriend? And be sure to include her sister. The Mills sisters are the best, and Ichabod keeps US thinking in great language. The chemistry with the actors is incredible.

42. Joey says:

The writers have left the show with amazing potential for season 3…if they get it right. It’s essentially set up for a time travel drama in the past. It will be interesting to see how ichabod, his wife and Abbie interact in the past. Abbie will need to convince ichabod she knew h in the future. Ichabods wife knows the truth. Then there’s the headless horseman (with the afdditipn of a head). They’ll need to find some new enimies to keep the show from becoming a soap opera. Evil witches maybe. You have George Washington to add, as well as Benjamin franklin. So much potential. So you got time travel, witches, warlocks, founding fathers, inventors and so much more. You have back to the future meets x – files meets supernatural, Put your heads together and produce a ripping yarn FOX!!!

• Laura A. Harris says:

I would like to see Tom Mison get lost in Williamsburg, VA, Maybe get in abate with Thomas Jefferson? Get the idea?