Post Mortems

Nashville Post Mortem: Rayna's Men React to Her Choice, Dish Lowdown on the Deacon-Luke Brawl ('It Hurts!')

Nashville Season 3 Charles Esten Will Chase

Deyna fans — that is, those who want Nashville‘s Deacon and Rayna to get over it already and get together — came one step closer to their goal with Wednesday’s packed midseason premiere.

Among other developments, the hour saw the aftermath of the death of Rayna and Luke’s romance, which came to a definitive end when she called off their wedding in the previous episode.

“I may have overreacted a little,” star Will Chase jokes, in character, about Luke’s response — driving a pickup through the wedding cake, turning the reception into a screw-you concert — to getting jilted.

RELATED Nashville‘s Laura Benanti on How Sadie Will Overcome the ‘Shame, Fear and Shock’ of Domestic Abuse

Meanwhile, Deacon’s joy when Rayna indicated she’d like to pursue something romantic with him was tempered by his (still secret) diagnosis of a very tough to treat terminal illness.

Star Charles Esten says that the pessimist in his character never expected anything different. “There’s a certain part of Deacon that says, ‘What part of my life will make you think this is going to turn out well?,'” he says wryly.

In separate interviews, TVLine chatted with Esten and Chase to get their take on the First Lady of Country Music’s decision. Read on for Chase’s defense of his heartbroken character, Esten’s estimation of Deyna’s romantic future and both of their takes on that front-yard brawl.

RELATED Nashville Adds Broadway Star as Openly Gay Country Singer

TVLINE | How far ahead of time did you know that Rayna and Luke weren’t going to last?
CHASE | I mean, [the show] didn’t pitch it [when they were pitching the character]. I think we all kind of knew, just because it would be too clean and neat… I probably knew in Episode 7 or 8, but I certainly didn’t know at the beginning.
ESTEN | We don’t know as far in advance of anything really as people think we do, obviously. We get a script a couple of days or a week before we start, that’s when we find out what’s really happening… I love that moment where [Deacon finds] out… I love that the writers had Deacon find out that she called the wedding off by the mere fact that Luke is over there looking for her. [Laughs] Deacon gets that moment of, “Oh my God.” I would have been more surprised — or Deacon would have been, I should say — if the wedding had gone through. This is good news for Deacon for sure.

TVLINE | Will, your role is kind of a thankless one, given the reaction of some Rayna-and-Deacon fans.
CHASE | People are very passionate about that, as am I. You want Deacon and Rayna together, our two heroes of the show, our two troubled flawed artists… I like Luke a lot… He may have overreacted, but I think he’s justified. Rayna’s pretty much taken him a little bit for a ride. I like how they wrote the episode, because I do a full arc from going completely ballistic, running through a cake, to a lovely song at the end that actually means that he really is hurting.

TVLINE | I was impressed by how much Luke was able to get done in that day.
CHASE | Well, the magic of TV. You see the magic of being a billionaire country star. He did get a lot done, didn’t he?

RELATED Marcia Gay-Harden on Going Toe-to-Toe With How to Get Away With Murder‘s Fearsome Annalise: ‘Oh, Hell No — They Don’t Get Along!’

TVLINE | Deacon must feel like the cosmos is trying to mess with him, given the timing of Rayna’s declaration to him and his diagnosis.
ESTEN | The first thing [he thinks] is just that flat out, “I dare to dream for a little bit, and I dare to think I can finally find my place in sun, so of course this is what happens.” I think that’s in everybody, that little bit of weakness.

TVLINE | How much interaction do Rayna and Luke have in the back half of the season?
CHASE | We have some interaction, and it’s good interaction. I like where they’re taking both of us.

RELATED Mistresses Scoop: Client List Star Cast as New Playmate for Harry

TVLINE | I assume Rayna and Deacon spend more time together in the episodes ahead?
ESTEN | I think I can say that! [Laughs] Yeah, absolutely, but in different ways… We get to be around each other a little more because I’m not on tour and she’s not with Luke. It’s tenuous steps back to each other. If it’s ever going to happen, we both want it to happen right, and we both want it to happen for the right reasons.

TVLINE | Talk to me about the fight in Deacon’s front yard.
CHASE | Oh, man. It was a lot of fun, but it hurts… Me and Chip rolled around a lot… We had people in the neighborhood come by and watch Luke and Deacon roll around on the ground.
ESTEN | First of all, just like Eric Close when Teddy and I used to go at it, it helps when you get along real good with the guy — and I do. In a sense, it lets you go at it harder! [Laughs] We sort of go, “Let’s do this the best we can…” [Will and I] both went at it not wanting to hurt one another, but you don’t want to see people putting the breaks on, ’cause you know that’s been waiting for awhile. He’s had that coming ever since he punched Deacon up behind the Bluebird.

1. Amy H says:

Best episode of the season.

2. FatherOctavian says:

“Wheels up, asshole.”

This episode served as a badly needed course correction, and it mostly pulled it off smoothly.

It’ll be interesting to see who ends up donating part of their liver. Certainly Scarlett was willing to call her psycho mom on the off chance that she’s a match.

• Elsa says:

I’m betting it will be Maddie.

• FatherOctavian says:

In that case, it’ll be interesting to see if Teddy signs off on a very risky procedure for a guy he doesn’t particularly care for.

• brandydanforth81 says:

I don’t it.Maddies under 18 so at least Deacon & Rayna will need to give permission for that and I don’t see either of them going for it,especially since Deacon didn’t want Scarlett doing it and his sisters coming back.

3. Juan says:

I’m so happy my Nashville is back but more Juliette and Avery please!!! Loved that last song. I really need deacon and rayan to just get together.

• Ryan says:

I imagine Juliette and Avery were, and will continue for a while to be limited because of her real life pregnancy, but yes they were adorable. I love them.

4. Ela says:

To who ever wrote this Deacon doesnt have leukemia and is not incurable, he has liver cancer (probably hepatocarcinoma) and is curable with a liver transplant if it hasnt metastasized.

5. Linda Stevens says:

Yeah Luke definitely had it coming.Deacon let Luke get away with nailing him once and I for one was definetly in Deacon’s corner..Go Deacon

6. Linda Stevens says:

I would Say MAddie may be the Match..But I think because it will be who we least expect..It could be Luke..Wouldn’tbe a a shocker

7. Bill says:

That episode was Nashville at its best. Really enjoyed seeing Deacon kick Luke’s ass. Looking forward to the return of Scarlett’s ten-kinds-of-crazy mom.

8. azu says:

To be frank and sincere I don’t like rayna and deacon. They irritate me. Even their romance is old and tired. For me, Juliet is my reason for watching this. And I just started binge watching this show a couple of days ago

9. abz says:

Great episode. My first thought was that it might be Rayna who’ll give him her liver. But it could be Maddie.
    That scene with Deacon and Scarlett at the end was so heartbreaking.
    I understand the grandma’s side, just wish she wasn’t so mean to Gunnar sometimes. Glad they ended things on good terms between the two of them though.
    Luke really showed his true colours in that scene where he ripped into Rayna about how she was nothing before he came along. I don’t think the show ever did a good job of making his “feelings” for Rayna come across as genuine or real. He’s always given the impression that the relationship’s boosting of his career was the greatest thing. Anyway, never liked him and hope they get rid of him soon.
    Glad Will and Layla are getting divorced. I’d still love for them to patch things up somewhere down the line because I think they’ve shown signs that they can be good friends. And hopefully this means Will’s story can move forward as well.

10. sadie35 says:

I don’t know if I’ve gone nuts. But I swear I’ve been hearing narration through out this episode. I don’t need to be told where the scene is being done and what the characters are doing. It’s the first time I’ve heard that voice in all the ABC shows.

11. Lisa says:

Are they going to do something with Gunnar’s character again since they got rid of Zoey and Micha?

Where do you see Sadie’s story going? Would she be s good match for Teddy?

• Abby says:

I wanted Sadie and Teddy right from her first episode but they gave him an escort instead and keep teasing a bit Sadie with Luke. And I militantly don’t want that. At all. I want Luke to go away like Zoey (I so preferred Zoey on this show more than I’ve ever liked Luke).

12. Isobel says:

“I cleared out three whole shelves in my closet!” Juliette is always hilarious

13. Luli101 says:

Loved this episode!! I loved Everything already mentioned and just wanted to add that I thought Sadie’s story was short but really moving. Laura Benanti was incredible when she was waiting inside with the gun. the fear and anger were just palpable.

14. izzieb says:

Awesome episode! I loved hearing directly from the menfolk in this article, but miss the regular hilarious recap!!

15. izzieb says:

Great song by Luke at the end. I do kind of feel bad for him….. not often though!

16. Becky A says:

Loved this episode! So glad Nashville is finally back and look forward to more episodes. Some really great story lines developing; can’t wait to see where they go from here. ABC please get this show renewed.

17. PFitzDC says:

Kimberly–We want your recap!!!!

18. cg says:

Loved the episode. Hopefully he can get the transplant and he will get back together with Rayna. Even after all they have been through, they belong together. Oh, yeah. ABC please renew it for a fourth season and no more two month long hiatus during the season. It was pointless especially to show reruns of other shows instead. Why not just show reruns of Nashville? (Sorry had to get that off my chest lol)

• brandydanforth81 says:

It would’ve been on hiatueses anyway during part of Feb -March but now well get the last episodes pretty much interrupted instead of the week on two weeks off week on three weeks off.

19. Sp says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I like Luke and hope he sticks around. He may have gone overboard in the asshole department in last night’s episode, but he certainly had reason. I think hurt rather than anger was liky the catalyst for most of his behavior anyway. I feel super bad for the dude. Having said all of that, I love Deacon too.

20. SP says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I like Luke and hope he sticks around. He may have gone overboard in the asshole department in last night’s episode, but he certainly had reason. I think hurt rather than anger was likely the catalyst for most of his behavior anyway. I feel super bad for the dude. Having said all of that, I love Deacon too.

21. Melissa says:

This show is getting better & better!!!!! Love it!!!!

22. Leilyssa says:

I like Luke too. He did anger me last night because of how he acted but heck, who wouldn’t go psycho if they got news like that the day of their wedding. I think all the actors on this show have an interesting role and this show is just the best show ever. I cry every episode. I love Deacon. I just want to hug him. I agree there needs to be more of Scarlett and Avery and I also have to say that I miss Zoey. With that being said I just can’t wait for the upcoming episodes….gotta love Nashville!

23. Normandy says:

What are the odds that Sadie shoots her ex who happens to be an organ donor with Type O blood?

• Linda Stevens says:

The only bennifit for Sadie’s Husband on the show would be to save Deacon’s life..He is a woman Abruser.Sad that Sadie has to be the one to maybe shoot him..But he will deserve it..He is of no bennift to the show, Hopefully Sadie doesn’t get charged because she has great Talent and is an asset to the show..Maybe they can put Luke and Sadie together if Luke has to stay on the show.The both of them are hurting and they couls need one and othe

24. Paige Proxim says:

Rayna and Deacon should get married and have a baby boy!