The Flash Stars Talk Felicity's Arrival — and 'Sweaty,' 'Awkward' Double Date

The Flash Season 1 Spoilers Felicity Crossover

The Flash has super speed and quick reflexes, but does he have the power to juggle two love interests in one evening?

Now that Barry Allen is out of his coma, his Arrow flirt partner Felicity Smoak (played by Emily Bett Rickards) will venture to Central City on this Tuesday’s episode (The CW, 8/7c) to participate in the world’s most uncomfortable double date with Barry’s crush Iris and her boyfriend Eddie.

“It’s pretty awkward,” Grant Gustin previews during a set visit. “For the audience, it’s going to be very funny and enjoyable. It’s not a typical double date. It’s more like [an] awkward game night between friends” at the Jitters coffee house.

But Iris, sensing the chemistry between Barry and the blonde, hopes to push the two into romantic territory. “Immediately, Iris can see that Barry and Felicity are both super nerds and they speak the same nerd language — so for them to be together just makes sense to Iris,” her portrayer Candice Patton explains. “She sees Felicity and thinks, ‘Barry, what is wrong with you? Why wouldn’t you go after this girl?’”

the-flash-felicity-crossover

And thus, Iris “is very adamant that Barry invite Felicity [to their get-together]. It is fun to watch them squirm with each other,” Patton adds.

The outing was even a treat for those who weren’t part of the moment. “Jesse [L. Martin] was actually sitting at Jitters — we have a balcony above — and he was watching the scene,” Rick Cosnett, who plays Eddie, recalls. “Every time we cut, he just burst out laughing. ‘Cause there’s so much going on. From the get-go, it’s just a mess. Some people are sweating, some people are flirting.”

One of the people perspiring might be Barry, because “it’s not necessarily fun” for him to see the woman he loves, Iris, and the woman he could love, Felicity, together. “It’s hard, and Iris can be frustrating,” Gustin admits — particularly in the way that she remains “oblivious to how Barry feels” about her.

RELATED The Flash Stars Tease Firestorm’s Arrival

The Flash Captain ColdAnother reason to sweat, or more accurately, shiver: The introduction of new villain Leonard Snart, aka Captain Cold (played by Prison Break‘s Wentworth Miller). The adversarial relationship between the baddie and the newbie superhero is not a pleasant one for Barry. However, “it’s fun for Snart, and that’s the whole thing that’s driving him,” Gustin says. “It’s like, ‘Oh, what’s this new challenge?’ And it’s reenergizing [for him], trying to take his game to the next level. But for Barry, it’s just a pain in the ass. This guy won’t go away. And there are bigger things that Barry’s trying to focus on, and it’s hard to focus on everything at once.”

Despite all the danger from Cold and the double-date nerves, there’s also an “old friends” vibe that persists between Barry and Felicity, Gustin adds. “They’re comfortable with each other, and they have more fun than you’ve seen them have. But it’s pretty clear by the end of the episode what their relationship is,” the actor concludes before changing his mind. “I guess that’s not true.”

Could there be a smooch to confuse the pair about their feelings for one another, as glimpsed in this trailer? “It looks like we’re about to kiss. You don’t see us kiss though, so I don’t know,” Gustin replies with a coy laugh.

Excited about the Felicity-Barry reunion? Share your thoughts in the comments!

1. amy says:

I think felicity and barry will be a really good friends, they both smart, awkward and in love with their gorgeous best friend. I can see them got drunk while watching doctor who and complaining about their dead end love relationship
    Smoaken will be fun to watch

2. Jared says:

Barry and Felicity are comic gold. Can’t wait to watch this episode.

3. kath says:

It should be really funny to watch. After the depressing thing that is Arrow this season, I’m looking forward to it.

4. Meg says:

Felicity sure is surrounded by awesome sauce men. Too bad she loves another, because I think she and Barry are stinkin’ adorable. On another note, now that I have seen The Flash and the character of Iris, it seems like she and Felicity would get along gingerly. Felicity needs more female friends. For whatever reason I don’t think Caitlin Snow or Laurel mesh well as friendship potentials, but I would love to be wrong on that.

• Isobel says:

Caitlin could as she and felicity are both scientists, and iris and Caitlin I can see gingerish both care about Barry sort of relationship but Laurel outside of her father and Oliver and wildcat in the future doesn’t really do her best to get along with others

5. JC1 says:

I’m really looking forward to this episode. :) I’m really enjoying how much fun this show is, and I’ve missed Felicity since I’m not watching Arrow anymore.

6. Trish says:

I love it! I can’t wait to see Felicity mixing it up with the Flash cast. I’m really looking for to her interactions with Caitlin and Iris. And if I’m lucky, I’ll get one shot of Wentworth and Emily Bett Rickards in a scene together. I am so pumped.

7. Drew says:

This episode should be great. I hope that when they inevitably have to get rid of Felicity on Arrow they allow her to appear on The Flash, rather than using her death as a way of pushing Oliver in whatever direction he will need to be pushed in at that point.
    That’s the curse of Olicity that their fans don’t seem to realize. Green Arrow and Black Canary are like Lois and Clark. You can cheer for Lana as much as you want, and talk about how much they have already deviated from canon, but at the end of the day, the DC overseers will want the show to resemble the comics, at least somewhat. Which means that Ollie and Laurel will be closer by the end of the series, just like Clark and Lois were closer by the end of Smallville. The more they invest in Felicity and Oliver as a romantic pairing, the more the writers will feel they need to completely remove Felicity from he picture at some point, because eventually, the friend zone will be off limits if they go too far. If we’re lucky, that means Felicity leaves town. But if Oliver and Felicity are too big of an item for that to happen, she will die a horrible death.
    There are very few good reasons for them to be a romantic couple in my opinion. I love the Felicity character, and see nothing but bad things for her and for the team in general if they get together.

• BT says:

Canon means nothing to me and I am just sick and tired of people using that excuse for why certain pairings, no matter how distasteful and painful to watch, need to end up together. Fine, if that’s where the writers “must” go, they can do what they have to. And as a viewer, I do what I have to, which is stop watching. There are plenty of other shows out there to watch that don’t have to limit themselves to bad, forced story lines for the sake of “canon.”

But to stay on point, one of my favorite characters is Felicity and I don’t normally watch the Flash, but will for her. The clips of her and Barry look hilarious.

• Trish says:

LOL. My my my don’t you sound cocky and condescending. Felicity Smoak isn’t going anywhere. “Comicbook” fans attempting to tell Felicity Smoak and Olicity fans otherwise seem to be saying the same crap for a while now. Try, Oooo 2 years. Yet, she continues to thrive on Arrow and repeatedly said to be such an asset to the show, they can’t see doing it without her. That has been the impact of Felicity Smoak on Arrow. But by all means, let’s not look at factual statements or overall devotion for a character that came in and basically owned a show in which she was hired to do for one episode. Let’s listen to you continue to wait for the show to become a replica of any one of the countless comic book iterations. That would include the one in which Felicity & Diggle were recently incorporated in. If they have to kill off Felicity Smoak to make the show’s “black canary” work, I would be embarrassed by that.

• Hodan says:

Please, stop comparing that toxic and very short lived marriage of Green Arrow and Black Canary to Lois and Clark’s iconic relationship that lasted decades. GA/BC marriage ended in the comics due to cheating and that whole storyline did nothing for both characters. So, NO. Oliver and Laurel or whatever her name is in the comics now are nothing like Clark and Lois.

Anyways, I can’t wait to watch this episode. I love watching The Flash more than Arrow now days.

• wonderwall says:

I am no comic reader, but didn’t GA and BC spend more time apart than they were together? How does that scream Lois and Clark? They are so on and off that I don’t think Arrow would follow suit with this relationship because it’s just tiring and frustrating to watch. I have also read that Oliver and Dinah’s marriage in the comics happen after the adoption of the Comic Code in 1954 banning any sexual relationships unless the characters were married. And it brings up a huge question mark regarding the legitimacy of this union. I’ve been doing my homework on the comics lol. Please feel free to correct me if I’ve made a mistake.

• Difference being Lois and Clark actually had chemistry great chemistry as opposed to the zero chemistry between Laurel and Oliver

• S says:

It’s really telling that you think Felicity will need to be killed off just to make Laurel and Oliver happen again. Just goes to show how amazing Oliver and Felicity’s connection and chemistry really is. Also when you speak of GA/BC comic canon, what canon do you mean? Because there are many different iterations of those characters and they didn’t end up together in all of them either. Lois and Clark they certainly are not. Anyway, can’t wait for this episode. Bless Emily Bett!

• JC1 says:

I’m not sure how moving Felicity to The Flash fixes anything, unless you think Felicity should just never be with anyone at all. Barry and Iris are as much canon as GA/BC, probably more so.

• Briggs says:

They gave Oliver a sister he never had in canon, did the same to Laurel, gave him at least one villian that wasn’t his to begin with, and introduced us to the awesome that is John Diggle, only now making his appearance in the comics. In fact, it would be easier to list all the things that are canon, since the list would be so much shorter.
      So why do you imagine that they are going to stick to canon on this point, when they do it for almost nothing else? It makes no sense. Especially in light of Stephen Amell’s comment that the only woman Oliver is interested in this season is Felicity. So why are they going to go against that plan, simply to go with a canon that’s been rebooted to the point that the pairing doesn’t even exist, anymore?

• Briggs says:

((Besides, in the new 52, Superman is actually dating Wonder Woman, never having married Lois Lane. So the comparison is rather moot at this point.))

• Isobel says:

Agree given they did Oliver/Sara even now she’s dead I don’t think going back to Laurel and doing both sisters works. She was his girlfriend before the island, and even then we saw him cheat on her. I’d rather they go Laurel/Wildcat and have her training and finding happiness away from Oliver

• Ashbash says:

If Canon relationships on comic book based tv shows meant anything then Lana Lang on Smallville never would have married Lex Luthor and Smallville’s Oliver Queen wouldn’t have married Chloe Sullivan. Smallville is a perfect example of a show not sticking to Canon but still going strong. Besides making Clark into superman canon meant two poops on Smallville. So with that point I will still root for Felicity to wind up with Barry or Oliver. If the creators of these shows wanted me to root for the canon couples then they should have cast actresses with more charisma because both leading ladies are extremely boring even when they try to be interesting. Believe me if Erica Durance wasn’t so dang charismatic playing Lois Lane I would have kept rooting for Clark and Chloe to be together.

• Drew says:

I love Felicity, people. Trust me, I want nothing bad to happen to her. But it is what it is. I liked Shado too. And Slade was really cool until he was evil.

• Briggs says:

No one’s accusing you of hating Felicity, hon. But the problem with arguing ‘it’s canon’ for anything is that in Arrow, precious little from the comics actually makes it to the screen *exactly* the way it was in the canon. Why are you so convinced that this one thing will?

• JC1 says:

Funny you should mention Shado, because in the comics she raped Oliver and had his son. In the new 52 comics, she was his father’s lover and the mother of his half sister Emiko. Here she was killed off to drive Slade’s insane revenge arc. So why exactly must they conform to “canon” in this one area when they’re not in any other area? You could as easily say that to be in line with comics canon that Laurel must leave town and form the Birds of Prey team offscreen somewhere. Because Black Canary being one of the founding members of the Birds of Prey is every bit as canon as the GA/BC romance.

8. Anna says:

I’m super excited for this episode. I’ll probably skip Arrow this week since Felicity is in Central City, but I’m definitely watching The Flash.

9. aura says:

I haven’t been invested in any of the flash relationships yet. Iris/barry are rather cliche and dull and so is iris/Eddie. I do see some potential in Caitlin/Barry but I need to see more.

• Lena says:

Basically any relationship that involves Iris [the one you obviously dislike] is cliche. However, Caitlin and Barry ‘look’ right together, don’t they? Caitlin, who is still in love with her dead [not really] fiance should get with Barry to spare you from witnessing something so unnatural as Iris and Barry. Iris and Barry shouldn’t be more than friends, since Iris knows him better than anyone, loves him, adores him, and supports him. There is no potential in that. After all, why would anyone want to see a healthy relationship?

• Briggs says:

For some reason, people think Iris is the new Laurel, who also has gotten a lot of hate this way. Basically, trying to be the first to really hate on her, get on the ground floor, as it were. This in spite of the fact that most Flash fans seem to at least like iris, which unfortunately can’t be said for Laurel. I don’t understand it, either, but it appears to be a thing.

• Isobel says:

I like Iris/Eddie and Iris herself, right now I’m seeing Iris and Barry as more siblings, probably because of all the flashbacks of them being raised together, but if they do their actual relationship well I’m open to changing my mind

10. Briggs says:

I can’t wait to see the double date, it’s bound to be adorable. And then watch Arrow with it’s focus on Nyssa and Malcolm. I can’t wait to see where these two shows go this year, and am encouraged by the uptick in ratings last week that we’ll be able to continue seeing where they take things.

11. wonderwall says:

Why is it that every time I try to comment, my comment doesn’t show up? What are you trying to tell me TVLine? :p No but siriusly, this is frustrating. Does anyone else have the same problem?

• Briggs says:

I just rewrite my post when that happens. My policy when I lose a first draft of anything is that I clearly needed to put it a different way, so I do, but that’s a personal thing. I feel less stress that way.

12. Sam says:

Watching the Flash purely for Felicity because she’s the best female character on tv in a long time. EBR is a star. Love her. I like her with Oliver best but I’m still looking forward to seeing her be great friends with Barry. Should be fun.

13. scotlore says:

I’ve always preferred Felicity with Barry anyway, so I am looking forward to the episode awkward comedy and all. If friendship is all get with them, well that’s too bad, but I will take what I can get.

• scotlore says:

I’ve always preferred Felicity with Barry anyway, so I am looking forward to the episode ‘awkward comedy’ and all. If friendship is all we may ever get with them, well… that’s too bad, but still, I will take whatever I can get. (correctedpost)

14. Lou says:

I have no interest in Barry and Felicity romantically. I just saw them as friends when he was on Arrow in season 2. But I’m all for a bit of awkward fun for Felicity. She deserves some happiness. I hope they realise they’re good friends but both in love with other people.

15. Ella says:

I think Barry and Felicity are MUCH cuter than Barry and Iris and Oliver and Felicity. Both those relationships are like sibling ones. I just don’t see it. Baricity for the win!

16. Jp says:

Excited to see felicity on the flash.

17. brenna says:

I can’t wait to see this. It’s going to be so fun! I’m really enjoying both Flash and Arrow and I’m glad they have a different tone to them. It would be boring if they were both the same. Arrow will probably always be number one to me, but I like both. I agree with others that EBR has chemistry with everyone. Her scenes with Ray were very funny and the ones with Barry look great. I still love what she brings out in Oliver and I look forward to their continuing journey.

18. GildedRose says:

Haven’t watched The Flash before but Arrow’s Emily Bett Rickards jumping over for a guest stint? Totally there. Felicity Smoak is outstanding. Love her and I’m totally rooting for her and Oliver to get together on Arrow.