Ratings: Gracepoint and A to Z Down, Vampire Ties Low, Bad Judge Steady

Vampire Diaries Ratings Low

NBC’s Bad Judge this Thursday drew 5.2 million total viewers and a 1.3 rating, making it this fall’s first freshman comedy to retain 100 percent of its demo number in Week 2.

The news was not as good for lead-out A to Z, which with 3.6 mil/1.0 was down 25 and 17 percent from its debut.

Bookending the Peacock’s night, The Biggest Loser (4.6 mil/1.2) ticked down a tenth and Parenthood was rock steady with 4.3 mil/1.3.

RELATED Parenthood Recap: Matters of the Heart

Elsewhere….

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy (8.4 mil/2.4) and Scandal (9.5 mil/3.0) each slipped 11 percent, while How to Get Away With Murder (10.7 mil/3.1) dipped 6 percent in the demo. (Year over year, ABC notes, its Thursday line-up is up 20 and 12 percent.)

RELATED Read Our Recaps for Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and Murder

FOX | Bones was steady with 6.3 mil and a 1.5, but Gracepoint (3.9 mil/0.9) dropped 19 and 25 percent in Week 2.

RELATED Gracepoint Recap: Pop Is the Weasel

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries (1.7 mil/0.7) dropped a handful of eyeballs and 22 percent in the demo (tying its series low), while Reign (1.1 mil/0.4) was steady.

RELATED Vampire Diaries Recap: The L Word

CBS | Thursday Night Football (12 mil/3.8) is down 7 and 14 percent from last week’s fast nationals.

1. aunni says:

nothing makes me happy when rating drops for shows of the queen of troll JP

2. Isabel says:

I can’t explain but I’m kind of in love with Bad Judge… It’s just so entertaining IMO. Hope the ratings keep up.

• Moment says:

Bad Judge repeats quite well too, it pulled a .8 with 4 million viewers last Friday, A to Z also pulled a .8 with 3 million, these 2 shows might be better off on Friday.

• Yvonne says:

Me too. And I’m enjoying the weekly dosage of Kate Walsh on my screen.

3. jimbo says:

Netflix should pick up Parenthood and continue to produce some more 13-episode seasons. It still has a enormously loyal following. :)

• Bryce says:

It’s sad because you know NBC’s going to take three years to get those kind of numbers in that time slot with a new show, especially since it doesn’t look like HTGAWM is gonna slow down.

• herman1959 says:

The show’s writers are just out of stories (they have been since last season). The only way they are coming up with 13 episodes to end the series is by hitting us with melodrama each week -divorce, unwed/unplanned pregnancy, health scare/impeding death, etc. Parenthood had a great run…just let it go. Yes, the problem has always been what NBC will replace it with, but they should have planned for this.

4. Moment says:

I’m surprised by The Vampire Diaries, this was once a very popular series that pulled fantastic numbers, now its dropped so much. It seems near enough from the end of last season people started to lose interest. I can see one more season left in it.

• aunni says:

oh i dumped the show after s4 on very bitter terms, bt when rating drops… :D
      seriously, in real life im not this bitter.. guess jp has that kind of effect.

• Moment says:

Apparently the casts contracts are up this year too. The CW may call it a day if it drops lower by May. Or at the very most give it a short final season. There would be no point giving them extended contracts along with a pay rise if the numbers aren’t what they were.

• Zayne says:

I stopped watching last season. The show ceased being fun for me. I thankfully quit right in time too because my least favorite character on the show, Bonnie, came back to life in the very next episode.

• I agree with you on every point except Bonnie… Bonnie was just written terribly… She had potential to be a great character and she had great moments… Its that damn Julie Plec….

• Eric7740 says:

They lost me last season with that whole “Traveler” storyline. I continue to watch only because my cousin explained the “Traveler” storyline to me so that I could understand it somewhat.

• BBussey says:

The quality dropped after Williamson left. The last couple of seasons, the show lived off the reputation it built the first three seasons. But even the loyal watchers have had enough at this point. Unless they have a miraculous turnaround on the storyline and pick up the pacing, I don’t see it getting a seventh season. It may not anyway regardless, as some of the cast members want to move on after their contracts end this season.

• ChrisGa says:

Season 2 was the last time TVD was truly great. It’s been hit-and-miss(more miss) every season since and once the Mikaelsons got spun-off it really started going nowhere fast.

5. ted says:

Bye Bye REIGN!

6. Sarah says:

I’m happy Bones is stable. I hope it adjusts up, though.

7. It’s such a shame to get hooked by a new show just like A to Z, because it’s good and really entertaining but the ratings aren’t what the network was expecting for,and you just feel while watching it that “this could be the last episode”.
    Hope the ratings improve by the next week!

• zac says:

I know what you’re feeling. Still reeling over the cancellation of The Crazy Ones and Enlisted which Fox never really gave a chance

• Will says:

definitely wish Enlisted and Surviving Jack were still on…

• Juice says:

SUrviving Jack was entertaining

• Mark says:

Surviving Jack , Star Crossed, The Tomorrow People, Almost Human and Intelligence there was some great shows shown the axe far to early last year for what only to be replaced by non starters this time round which I’m not bothering with or wont even start with because come January or May they will be gone on a cliff hanger. Its the same broken record every year and yet these stupid network bosses don’t learn, There seemed to be a light when Fox let Fringe end on its own terms but that was a once in damn I don’t know what to call it but damn thankful it happened..

• herman1959 says:

I kept meaning to try Surviving Jack, but I was too slow and it was cancelled before I could. I won’t make that mistake again.

• Jessica says:

I think A to Z might be my favourite new show of the year, which inevitably means it will be cancelled soon.

8. JWB says:

I wonder if FOX will pull Gracepoint or move it to Friday or Saturday night. I enjoyed the original British version. I had no interest in seeing an American version. Especially when the reviews said it was a shot for shot remake.

I must say that How to Get Away With Murder is getting better. Now that the story arc is developing.

• Drewer says:

Sadly I’m not sure Fox has anything to replace it with. Red Band was worse this week with 2.9mil and .9, and Fox’s darling New Gil only had 2.6mil, although a 1.4 demo, Mindy had 2.2 and 1.0, Mulany had a 2.3 and 1.0. My point being that everyday is Friday on Fox (except maybe Gotham and SH on Monday). The Simpsons had a 2.0, Gotham a 2.5-those are the only shows Fox had this week at or above 2.0 demo.

• JWB says:

They have a few sitcoms(THE LAST MAN ON EARTH) and dramas( Backstrom, EMPIRE) on tap. They should have kept Almost Human around.

I think they should show the first season of sleepy hollow. Sleepy Hollow could use a few more viewers.

9. hello says:

Turns out Nielsen has frakked up ratings since March

• Ray says:

I’m not surprised. It’s an antiquated system full of errors and needs to be replaced with something entirely different that more accurately represents how viewers watch TV today.

• Moment says:

It actually isn’t. It’s just a technical glitch which they have since fixed. It has worked well for decades and will continue to do the job intended. The corrected ratings will be very small, in other words marginal adjustments up or down.

10. Erin Claire says:

Looks like Bones has a world of its own. Its fans are really quite loyal because the ratings are pretty consistent, 1.6 – 1.5 – 1.5. They may not be high but they’re pretty decent considering the ratings that Fox been getting.

Enlighten me. Will this be a good enough reason for Season 11 renewal?

• Brooke says:

These days, the fate of Bones probably rests a lot more on the cost of the cast this many years in and the leads’ willingness to return for another year than it does on the ratings. That tends to be the case with aging ensemble shows that still do rather solidly in the ratings.

• Patrick says:

A lot of the cast doesn’t work very much outside the show. Most, esp the supporting cast, would probably be willing to take reasonable pay cuts to continue the show, aka it better to get .75 of what they are now getting vs zero of what they are now getting. I would trim the new FBI agent (nothing personal, just cost cutting, unless he is working for next to nothing, which he might well be doing), and I would trim the rotating intern pool. Let them compete vs each other to be the low cost option, or do another brief time jump and replace the lot of them with one-2 low cost options.
        Or, the cast might want more and get it. Fox has no other options, and it repeats well on cable and syndication. So, its a river of money for everyone, so long as no one party gets greedy.

11. sarah j says:

That is not good about Vampire Diaries.
    However all in all in looked like all the networks had drops in some shows.

12. Emmy says:

I predict Vampire Diaries will get a final season 7

13. Christina says:

I actually really enjoyed A to Z, so I’m sad to hear it’s slipping!

14. Garnet Lees says:

What I find odd is that Vampire Diaries has 23 million likes on Facebook, yet only has 1.7 million viewers. How is that?Guess everyone watches it online or something.

15. Brigid says:

I didn’t watch TVD for the first time ever. I can’t stand Damon and Elena any more and after all the crying and whining last week I just couldn’t take it.

16. Lies says:

The vampire diaries, man i have to atmid that it does hurts me that this show is becoming so bad. But they were so stupid to enounce 1 week before their season premiere that the love triangle is over and that paul wesley is team delena, 50% of their fans are stelena fans, not good to give them that news before you start a new season. Not to mention that season 6 episode 2 was an episode where they totally crushed the stelena fandom (again) by saying that elena fell in love with damon, in an episode that had a HUGE stelena moment in it (+ kevin williamson said it was a stelena episode) The writers need to bring their love triangle back, don’t turn it in the delena diaries!!!

17. itssoowrong says:

I like KW but bad judge is god awful and a total waste of talent. Is a 1.3 demo a hit on a major network?

18. Willow says:

Actually I loved Moonlight, but it just missed the vampire craze. I think TVD was a huge hit when The Twilight movies and True Blood was huge. Now it’s not so large, so goes the TV series. I am clueless if this show can keep going without the vampire craze of the last few years.

19. Nevada Queen says:

Fox can hardly be surprised Gracepoint has tanked so badly so quickly. Pre-screener reviews were scathing and launching it against Football on reflection might have been a reasonable plan as it does protect other shows that might have had some chance of catching on. Wonder if Fox might temporarily shelve it as they could be obliged contractually to show all 10 eps. The kindest thing would be to pull it now before it gets more humiliating for them and the cast.

I read a few gloaters noting the irony of justifying the need for this exact copy of the British original as American viewers couldn’t understand the regional accents of the British cast and Tennant in particular. Of course one of the main criticisms of Gracepoint is that Tennant’s American accent is so bad that it undermines the show. A further irony is that the second reason Fox used to justify the show was that Broadchurch was only seen by 600 000 viewers on BBCA, yet Gracepoint’s viewing figures are in freefall and by about Episode 4, the Broadchurch viewership will be higher.

There appears to be much glee in UK papers about Gracepoint’s poor ratings and awful reviews. People there seemed insulted that an American network didn’t think a British show worthy of screening without Americanization and much needed hubris in relation to Tennant who the UK media seem to think needs a pulling back as he’s too big for his boots. Pretty humiliating failure for him and ends his chances of an American career.

Not going to bother watching further but will be interesting to see the spin Fox put on this and all of their other bombs this season.

• Jodie S says:

Admittedly it’s not great and Tennant’s American accent is completely rubbish but I don’t think Gracepoint is anywhere near the disaster ratings suggest or critics have claimed. It’s competent enough to deserve to be viewed and in Anna Gunn, there is a strong central performance from a femal character which doesn’t involve pouting or bed hopping or neuroses or wearing revealing clothing. Pity it just isn’t grabbing enough viewers. I hope Fox don’t up shelving it as I’d like to see how it plays out. Don’t hold much hope though. If they do pull it, at least I hope they let the rest of the episodes play out at some later stage or release the DVD.

20. DavidSask says:

Thank goodness Gracepoint is limited series! Bad Judge is amusing, I think a lot of people follow Kate Walsh, A to Z is not a good companion show they need something just as silly to follow it, Bad Teacher would have been great.

21. Buck says:

Wow..I bet NBC is glad it didn’t pick up Community. Why is Parks and Rec not on their schedule yet? Idiots!

22. Jamie says:

The CW needs to Swap their Thursday and Wednesday Lineup. Thursday night on the CW has always been for the tentpole show at the CW. TVD is no longer that – Arrow has taken that mantle and is really starting to ramp up creatively and in the ratings (especially with the new flash premiere as well). It has a different fan base than TGIT on ABC where TVD and REIGN are fighting for the same viewers (mostly women). TVD & REIGN have no chance of live ratings on Thursday – which is why their +3 & +7day DVR Ratings jumped so high.