Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Arrow EP on [Spoiler]'s Death, 'Olicity' on Hold and More

Arrow Sara Dies

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Wednesday’s season premiere of Arrow.

Arrow kicked off Season 3 on Wednesday night in the way it usually concludes: with a major death. After sweet heart-to-hearts with Oliver and Laurel, Sara was shot with three arrows by an unseen figure.

RELATED Arrow Scoop on Roy’s Place on Team Arrow

Meanwhile, Oliver and Felicity went on their first date, which was cut short by an explosion. As a result, Oliver concluded that a normal life was not for him — maybe not ever — as Felicity begged him not to dangle “maybes” in front of her.

“Don’t ask me to say, ‘I don’t love you,'” Oliver replied, planting a kiss on her. Still, Felicity — displaying some seriously impressive willpower — walked away.

Below, executive producer Marc Guggenheim previews the “gut-wrenching” aftereffects of Sara’s demise and the “emotional” road still ahead for Oliver and Felicity. He also weighs in on Ray Palmer’s mysterious agenda and Diggle’s status on Team Arrow.

Arrow Sara DiesBYE BYE BIRDIE | Saying goodbye to Sara was “incredibly hard,” especially since actress Caity Lotz “completely fit into [the show’s offscreen] family,” Guggenheim says. But the pain of the brutal plot twist was worth it because “the story implications for this development are so far-reaching for the show and affect all of the characters.” For starters, it launches the mystery of “Who killed Sara?” which “will drive us for at least the first half of the year,” the EP previews. “It will set Laurel on a trajectory that she’s never had before on the show. It will create all these other complications and dynamics that I can’t talk about because it would spoil stuff. It buys us a lot of story, and it speaks to all the things that we wanted to do this year in terms of Laurel’s character, in terms of Oliver’s character, in terms of Felicity’s character.”

RELATED The Flash Brings Time Travel, Super Baddies, Big Arrow Crossover

Not to mention, the crime-fighter’s fall leads into the CW series’ “most emotionally gut-wrenching episode” next Wednesday, simply titled “Sara,” which Guggenheim hints has a double meaning. Unlike with the show’s past deaths, which have been followed by time jumps, the hour delves into the immediate aftermath of the loss.

“There’s the question of, what should be done with Sara’s body?” Guggenheim reveals. “There’s the question of, who do they tell? Do they tell Lance, for example, that his daughter died a second time? There’s emotional repercussions for everybody, but it definitely has repercussions for Oliver and Felicity. And it has repercussions for Felicity and Ray Palmer. And obviously, for Laurel. Laurel’s very much at the center of that episode. We’re also going to turn to a suspect in the killing.”

Given the subject matter, it’s no surprise that Guggenheim describes the installment as “a hard episode to watch” that will likely have crying-prone viewers in tears. “I have to say, I think it’s one of our best episodes,” the EP raves. “I’m really, really happy with it, because everything is laid bare, and it’s all out there. Everyone’s raw and naked. It was a really hard episode for the cast to shoot, particularly Emily [Bett Rickards], Stephen [Amell] and Katie [Cassidy]. And Caity Lotz, who basically has to lie on a slab and not breathe and actually does a very, very compelling Arrow Sara Diesjob of being dead. It’s really, really powerful stuff.”

And it will not be the last viewers see of Lotz, who will appear in an episode beyond next week’s. “One of the beautiful parts of the show is, we do flashbacks,” Guggenheim points out. “We still want to tell the story of what happened when Sara washed up on the shores of Lian Yu, after the events of [Episode] 223, the sinking of The Amazo, and how she met Nyssa and how she joined the League of Assassins. There’s still a lot of story left to be told with Sara.”

RELATED Arrow Recruits Spartacus Star as Captain Boomerang in Season 3

Arrow Sara DiesBROKEN HEARTS | Although it may seem like Oliver and Felicity’s nascent romance came to a halt before it even got started, Guggenheim assures that the show will continue to explore the pairing. “The end of that hospital scene didn’t just take Oliver and Felicity and put them back in a box,” he says. “The repercussions of that scene and that storyline in Episode 1, that’s going to follow them over the course of Season 3. It’s not over. We didn’t just hit pause or reset on their relationship. This is just a development in an ongoing relationship.” To that end, the duo will share “a very emotional scene” in next week’s outing. “This is not the last time we’ll hear the words, ‘I love you,’ in connection with Oliver and Felicity,” Guggenheim hints. As for that hallway “break-up” moment, “they’re both conflicted” about calling it quits, Guggenheim argues. “Our goal in writing that scene was to make it even-handed in terms of who’s ending it… If [viewers are] interested in what that scene in Episode 1 meant, I think there’s a scene in Episode 2 that clarifies it a good deal more.”

RAY PALMER: FRIEND OR FOE? | The soon-to-be new head of Queen Consolidated is a bit of a question mark, seeing as how those in charge of the company “aren’t always the best people,” Guggenheim teases. “So Ray represents either an interesting departure or interesting twist.” Season 2’s Slade Wilson arc “was a much more upfront story about vengeance,” so the producers sought to “reintroduce the concept of mystery to the show” with Brandon Routh’s character. “What Ray is planning and up to, with his whole Star City campaign and what he plans to do with the company, will be one of those mysteries,” the EP reveals.

DADDY DAYCARE | Diggle’s proclamation that his newborn daughter has changed everything “did mean he’s off the team,” Guggenheim confirms. “But in Episode 2, let’s say the circumstances of Sara’s death change up a lot of things for all of our characters.”

Arrow fans, what did you think of “The Calm?” Were you shocked by Sara’s death? Were you satisfied by the “Olicity” turn? Hit the comments with your thoughts, and grade the season opener via the poll below!

1. Alichat says:

Oh damn! I was not expecting that.

2. ANON R says:

NOPEEEEEEEEEEE.

3. hoer says:

Damn. I really liked Sara. 😭

4. Sophie says:

Killing Sara was pretty much the worst decision this show has made after a long series of TERRIBLE decisions last season. It’s too bad I’m so obsesed with the show and an eventual Oliver/Felicity pairing (even though what we got in this episode was too much too soon) and some of its other aspects like finally giving Laurel a great storyline, because that really was not an episode I was able to appreciate in any way.

• StephonJS says:

i see the death opening up the door for Laurel to replace Sara as The Black Canary and get revenge

• redmommy25 says:

Exactly! We always knew Laurel was going to become Black Canary and it only made sense that Sara had to die; her death is the motivation Laurel needs to embrace that character. I am sad, though, as I love Sara and love that the show has strong female characters who embrace one another instead of being bitchy to each other. Thank goodness for flashbacks!

• Tom says:

I was hoping they would change it so Laurel would die and Sara would become the proper BC as I’ve never been a fan of Laurel they have changed several things in the show so they could have changed that as well.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Indeed. Laurel should have died. Terrible character played by an horrible actress. Katie Cassidy is truly awful.

• Sehena says:

Not to mention that in Smallville they made Chloe sort of an alternative version of “Oracle” and hooked her up with Oliver Queen. I really don’t see why they couldn’t take liberties here as well in order to make Sara Lance the true Black Canary.

• Angus says:

Agreed. Cassidy better start eating a few big macs if she’s going to assume the roll.

• Sam says:

Killing a character for motivation is bad writing IMO and if you wanted to go along those lines then she should have been motivated when Tommy died and then maybe Laurel wouldn’t have been insufferable in season 2.

• Zach says:

In the comic world, major deaths are almost always the motivators for a character to become a super hero. Uncle Ben and Peter Parker. Pa Kent and Clark. Martha & Thomas for Bruce Wayne. Martin Jordan and Hal Jordan. I can go on and on. So this makes sense as the next evolution of Laurel.

• Jess says:

Tommy’s death was Oliver’s motivator to stop killing people. Laurel wasn’t in love with Tommy. However, Laurel had a really close relationship with her sister. She grew up with her. She was probably the one person other than her dad who she loves that much.

• kath says:

Laurel was in love with Tommy, she said so in 2×01 as the reason she wasn’t going to get back together with Oliver, that she had realized that it was Tommy she loved. With Sara, she got her grounded and threw a glass in a hissy fit when she saw Sara was still alive. They were sisters but they were often in conflict.

Sara was probably killed by someone associated with her role as an assassin while Tommy was completely a good guy. If Laurel was going to go all vigilante, it made more sense for her to do it because a good guy was killed by a bad guy than because an assassin was killed by someone in her line of work.

• R says:

Of course it is…that was their ‘easy out’ to have Laurel become Black Canary. It’s lazy writing.

• Anne says:

Oh, please. . . why do some people always trot out the “lazy writing” card when they don’t like the way the plot turns. It’s not lazy, it’s just not what you want.

• kath says:

How about, Laurel is upset seeing Tommy was killed and determines to clean up Starling City. She finds that the law isn’t enough, and seeing the path Sara set, she determines to join the vigilante force. With training from Sara and her access to court documents, she joins Team Arrow in hunting down the bad guys who got off.

It justifies Laurel fighting, puts Laurel in the Team Arrow game and keeps Sara alive. Killing Sara to hand her leathers over to Laurel is cheap writing.

• chuck says:

She thrives on the protection from oliver giving her super powers would lessen Oliver’s role and kill the chance of a romance.

• It makes more sense that Nyssa would seek revenge i don’t think Laurel even liked Sarah

• Sehena says:

Of course she liked her. Sarah was her younger sister. No matter how much you argue and fight with your siblings, you’re always going to love them. I should know. My brother and I were often at each other’s throats but that never stopped me from loving him.

• kath says:

I think it was such a bad move to kill off Sara so Laurel could become the Black Canary. Many people were already iffy about Laurel, I think this is really going to solidify the Laurel hate.

And if they could kill off Sara so Laurel could be the Black Canary, who is to say they won’t kill Felicity in another season so Laurel can have Oliver?

• eilowynfic says:

Sing it, friend. Last season, Laurel was fetch in the Mean Girls line “stop trying to make fetch happen!” Well folks, fetch is happening. Unless the writers have the balls to go against pre-2011 comics canon, Felicity’s days are numbered. Those canon-obsessed fanboys will get their way, and the shippers will be left out in the cold.

• G. says:

Woulda been nice if we’d had two Canaries, since they clearly want Laurel to be one.

You’re 100% right that they’re going to shed a lot of viewers this season … hopefully the show will limp along and still provide interest.

I’m … lackluster about Ms. Cassidy as an actress, and the Laurel character as a whole. I’ve got zero interest in watching the “transformation” into Black Canary, because there are far more interesting storylines in the Arrow universe. It’s going to be hard to convince me to tune in when the episodes start to go that way.

This was probably a ‘jump the shark’ moment. Time will tell.

The good news is, there are tons of shows that can spring from the richness of Arrow; I’ll be happy to see what comes down the pipeline.

• Anne says:

I knew it!! As soon as I saw the “lazy writing” above, I knew “jump the shark” would be close behind. You don’t know the meaning of the phrase.

• swanpride says:

It was for me. Mind you, the contrived writing and the constant love triangles made watching the last season already difficult towards the end. There was built-up for it. But when Sara survived, I was hoping that they would regroup, reconsider the typical CW writing and go for something less melodramatic but more grounded. They didn’t. Instead they delivered a first episode which put the worst of CW shows in one unpleasing package.

I might catch up on Arrow during the hiatus…I don’t know yet. But so far I couldn’t bring myself to watch another episode.

• aunni says:

they won’t kill felicity. both head writers (MG&AK) did a bold declearation WE CAN NOT IMAGINE ARROW WITHOUT FELICITY, bt they refused to adress sara as black canary. so it was coming…. deep down u also knw it.

• OlicityFever12 says:

will they ever let Felicity and Oliver have like a really good time? without them breaking up at the end of the episode? just even once?

• Artarita says:

I would stop watching the show if that happens! Felicity is a really big part of the show.

• Ysabel says:

same here! I will definitely stop watching the show if they ‘kill’ Felicity!

• Miranda says:

Ditto!! I feel like she is so part of their team that it would be a bad idea, overall, to get rid of her. I am just worried they are going to prolong the Olicity that I feel is definitely going to happen much later on (which is rather quite annoying). I just hope they don’t create a prolonged love triangle because that is seen in so many TV shows ALL THE TIME and it gets irritating really quickly. I hope they make the Olicity romance one where they, yes okay, can have a love triangle. But once they have created it and somehow Oliver and Felicity get together because of it, they stay in their relationship. It would be awesome where they could show and present a relationship that stays intact but has its struggles and the growth of their relationship from it, rather than an on-again-off-again relationship. I feel TV producers create these relationships too much and it would be so nice to have a fresh new look rather than the average, normal, predictive plot that is a standard for so many TV shows.

• Antoine says:

SO AGREE!!

• Tanny says:

I KNOW, RIGHT?! IT WAS too much too soon for Oliver and Felicity. I was like.. ‘where was the build-up?’ but then i’ve realized they were buidling Olicity up for two years now. Still. I wasn’t ready for whatever happened. :\

And as for Sara’s killing, well.. I’ve survived Tommy’s death. ‘Nuff said.

• Lady Di says:

I agree. I thought this premiere was all over the place. Very hard to keep up with what was going on and the Olicity thing came as a surprise to me. So now the Oliver/Felicity pairing is going to be one of those on-again off-again angst romances. Very boring. I’m very disappointed that Sara was killed, but whoever killed her is someone she knew well. I can see Laurel taking up Sara’s mantel and becoming the next Black Canary. I like both Sara and Laurel and I hope we see more of Laurel’s storyline and see Sara again in flashbacks. Maybe that will make things interesting because in this premiere things were all over the place.

• swanpride says:

They literally killed my last bit of interest in this show with one single episode. I don’t think what is worse, the insistence of the writers (or the network?) to hold onto a character which simply doesn’t work, killing of already the second character I like for her questionable development, or the romance nonsense. I like Felicity. She used to be my favourite character in the show, but I liked her independent from Oliver and would have loved to see them just being team mates. Thus said, I wouldn’t have minded the romance either. But since they have started to write her as a love interest, they reduced her more and more. I have said from the get go, if they go for a romance, they should do it right. But naturally they didn’t and instead went for this insulting ship tease instead.

5. Matthew says:

Great episode but they killed the wrong canary

• Alichat says:

Yes, I have to agree. The scenes with Laurel really do suck the life out of the show. I can’t see them getting any better.

• bearu says:

Kind of like these repetitive comments sucking the fun out of loving this show. Laurel isn’t going anywhere. Let it go.

• Sparky says:

Yes from someone who wasn’t a Laurel fan before I think it’s time for everyone to get on board. I thought she didn’t a good job tonight and I am hopeful after the final scene that she will pick up the mantel with a vengeance and make the storyline work. Just don’t go into depressed mode. Kick ass all the forward. Loved the premiere

• Alichat says:

I too am hopeful that they can turn Laurel around. I was hoping we’d see that in tonight’s ep with her being in the know now, actually talking to Oliver, and being a pleasant person to be around. But the scene between her and Sara was really the scene that was the energy sucker. The scene with Oliver was ok, but there was just something about the chat with Sara that brought the episode pacing to a halt. They have alot to do to pull her character around, and I hope they can pull it off for the sake of the story and the show.

• Liz says:

Agree I went into this season with an open mind with Laurel & it was bare able. She isn’t going anywhere we are stuck with her. And got say she didn’t over do it in the last season & she put on some wait so she looks good. But she isn’t messing with Olicity. They don’t need her just Oliver’s insecurities. But felicity has guts to walk away from that kiss

• Ashley says:

Agreed. Remembering Katie’s turn on Supernatural, she plays a fantastic kick ass character. I enjoyed her in season one, but season two kind of ruined her. It was the only thing about season two that I didn’t enjoy. Hopefully season three puts her on a similar path to what we can assume Thea is going to follow: anger, revenge. Put her into that state of mind and Katie will be awesome.

• Alichat says:

Awww….I’m sorry. Am I not allowed an opinion? Did my whittle comment bring you down so much that you felt you had to comment on it instead of, you know, ignoring it?

• speedy says:

I’m with you. I was never for them killing either of the Lance sisters, but if I had to choose, it would NOT have been Sara.

• kath says:

Okay, Laurel isn’t going anywhere. But did they have to kill Sara for her? Just like they killed Tommy in season 1 so she could have her addiction arc?

Who are they going to kill next? Felicity so Laurel can have Oliver?

I was actually liking Laurel in this episode … until they killed Sara to prop her.

I think it’s a really big mistake that will come back to bite the producers because it’s not just Sara fans who will be upset, it’s a whole bunch of other fans too. Now every character is at risk of dying so Laurel can be the Black Canary/Oliver’s love interest.

• eilowynfic says:

Oh, Felicity will definitely be killed. God forbid Green Arrow end up with the charming character who turned up like lightning in a bottle to give this show it’s heart! Green Arrow/Black Canary, no matter the cost.

• Nick says:

Hopefully Felicity stays alive or I’ll quit watching. Chloe managed to survive all 10 seasons of Smallville and Felicity is basically filling the same purpose. Even though she won’t end up with Ollie she can have a full life (hopefully)!

• Sam says:

Same. I was liking Laurel until they killed Sara and now I just resent her because the writers are working so hard to fit her into a role she doesn’t fit into! She could have made a great member of the team as she was, a lawyer putting the baddies away. Now I don’t care about her arc. I’m so sad about Sara. She was an amazing BC with all the history and training. She made sense. Laurel doesn’t.

And if this show kills Felicity (who sizzles on screen with Oliver) just so they can have their GA/BC pairing, I am so done.

• OlicityFever12 says:

if they kill off Felicity I am so done with this show. She’s the only one who puts light to it. The rest of them are too darkened by their experiences; and Laurel wouldn’t be so healthy for Oliver anymore. Too much baggage in there, they’re past, Tommy, and now Sara… again. That’s just too much, Felicity balances Oliver. He just needs to admit it himself, he needs her.

• Ysabel says:

I don’t know what is (or isn’t) in Laurel’s character that I can’t connect with. And I just find her romance with Oliver so bland. No excitement there. I almost stopped watching the show when I sensed the budding romance of Oliver and Felicity. That’s what got me hooked – the anticipation, the wait. If they are killing off this romance, then I guess it’s time to move on to another series.

• Probably true.

It’s time to start looking past Arrow and to the future of the franchise, I think. Arrow’s already spun off one show; I know more shows are possible.

• Jim says:

Why blame it on the actress? She’s doing the best with the little she’s had to work with. Now they are going to (hopefully) give her better material in her transformation.

• Alichat says:

I’m not blaming the actress solely, but of every scene in the show which brings the momentum to a complete halt, Laurel is the common denominator. It’s her portrayal and what they’ve written for her. Her character has just been terribly done.

• Stefani says:

You can absolutely blame the actress – I’m sure she’s a very nice person in real life, but she (Katie Cassidy) is a terrible actress, and that’s why so much criticism is directed towards her. She has zero range – her idea of showing emotion ends at huffing and puffing and pouting. I’m sorry – it’s the reason no one relates to her character and why so many people write into these areas and comment why they don’t like “Laurel”. She seems to be well-liked by her cast mates, so I’m sure she’s a very nice person – she just needs a whole lot more acting lessons to keep up with the talent on the show.:( I also hope that they go against the comic book storyline and am rooting for Olicity – I’d definitely stop watching if Oliver got back together with Laurel just for the sake of staying true to the comic book instead of the great direction that Marc & Andrew have taken this story in the TV series.

• Tom says:

I agree completely

6. StephonJS says:

WHAT AN AMAZING PREMIERE. I was happy, excited, sad, and upset all in one hour. I’m happy for Diggy, Sad for Olicity, excited about the season, and upset about Sara’s death….. Ra’s or Malcolm will pay for killing Sara.

• Anne says:

I agree. I think they set up this coming season really well. I did not dislike any part of it or any of their decisions. Looking forward to rest of the year.

7. androme3 says:

-Sara’s death was really unexpected.
    -Olicity’s laying it on really thick this year.
    -the action scenes were absolutely awesome!!
    -and the cameo by Brandon Routh was random (maybe the point), but Felicity more than makes up for it by looking smoking hot in those glasses.
    –All in all this was an awesome premiere! I so can’t wait for the rest of the season.

8. darstor says:

Darude – Sandstorm

9. Dj says:

Sara is the best character on the show. So I think Ra’s Al Ghul is going to bring her back with a laziours pit.

10. Mike R. says:

I did not expect it this week, I was assuming it would be next episode, but I think it was much more shocking here. It was inevitable, I knew from the minute she was the Canary, that she would eventually die, and having her die in front of Laurel definitely pushes Laurel’s story ahead, and I’m excited for where her story will be headed this year. Ray Palmer seems great and I can’t wait to see him become the Atom, and Roy as Arsenal was very cool. I just wish we saw some of Thea and Malcolm, but I assume they’ll show up soon enough. Overall solid premiere, and can’t wait for more.

• RicFule says:

I don’t think we’ll get The Atom on Arrow, by some of what I’ve read elsewhere. Now, if he happens to show up on Flash, that’s a different story.

11. Jennifer says:

Can’t say I’m sad she’s dead. Never liked the character.

12. I foresee a lot of people will be mad about Sara dying. But I honestly think is a smart move! The best TV shows out there play on high stakes. Arrow shouldn’t be different.

13. Sparky says:

Loved every second of that episode. Soooo damn good and from someone who wasn’t Laurels biggest fan I think the writers are going in the right direction with her story and she seems more comfortable. Not one weak link in any part of that episode. Can’t wait for next weeks episode but until where’s my remote and the restart button…..Very excited for the season ahead

14. Cameron says:

Thank you, thank you! Sara is finally DEAD!!! Love it! Now if Laurel would follow suit, I’d really be happy.

• BCfanboy says:

F you. Sara was the best female character on this show. Now they just have Laurel, the whiner baby, and Felicity, who is just meh.. I wouldnt be shocked if ratings go down after this episode.

• tamara says:

Once again someone suffering from depression isn’t a whiner baby. The only whiner baby here is YOU.

Can’t wait for Laurel’s story

• Drunk, druggie Laurel Lance (the character) has said more intelligent things than anything you’ve contributed, tamara.

Did you go to college? Let me guess … MRS degree? Or … are you still in junior high? I can’t really tell which is correct.

• Briggs says:

How about we don’t name-call people, real or fictional? That would be great, too.

15. Kubrick says:

I knew sara would die someday I didn’t expect it to be the first ep of the third year. I’m sure someone in the league of assasins or ties to the league killed her, black arrows are a give away. I wouldn’t be surprised if the league’s boss did it himself.

16. grace says:

loved this episode. was a great choice. a lot of the viable storytelling with sara has already been accomplished. what’s left can easily be done in flashbacks. killing her off in such a shocking way opens doors for SO many different characters and keeps the fight very personal for team arrow. i think this was brilliant. the only downside is that it will make laurel more relevant, and she’s a really irritating character. zero chemistry with the rest of the cast.

i like that oliver and felicity are in a weird place. just having it known that they’re into each other is enough for now. i don’t mind the slow dance with them, as long as they get there eventually. their chemistry lights up the screen and makes oliver a way more likeable guy. it’s wonderful.

• Artarita says:

I agree Felicity has great chemistry with Ollie and is NOT afraid to stand up to him or hold him accountable! Luv her

17. Foshi says:

It was so nice to see the trio back in action. Everyone had great moments and equally strong screen time in this episode. Keep it up writers. I think this may have been my favourite episode of the series or at least a close tie. All the highs and lows were there and told beautifully. Arrows strength as a show (not just a comic book based show) is it’s ability to balance emotional character driven storytelling with wicked action. They give us a reason to care about what happens to these characters and this episode was a great example of that. I was laughing, crying, holding my breathe and geeking out over the hour. I’d say if we get more of the same then season 3 will be my favourite hour of tv each week.

• brenna says:

Very well said and I completely agree with you.

• Trish says:

Well said! I feel sort of guilty being a happy Olicity, Diggle & Felicity fan right now with how great this episode was for them and Original Team Arrow overall. Seeing so many so pissed and sad over the black canary mess is not good. Not my fight though. I don’t care about either one. But man, that Oliver & Felicity hospital scene was awesome!!! Diggle taking out that truck pretty much alone, I love it. And finally, my Oliver & Diggle bromance meter ran high!

18. rachelle says:

1) OLICITY! Their scenes were so cute tonight! I’m happy we got that, even though the episode ended in heartache for both of them. Ollie and Felicity’s chemistry is incredible! I’d be crushed if they don’t get a fighting chance.
    2) I wasn’t expecting Sara to die. I was annoyed at her being back again because I hate her, but her death seriously blindsided me. I’d take her over Laurel any day, though. Too bad Laurel’s still around….

• OlicityFever12 says:

I agree! I want Oliver to fight for Felicity, they just make so much sense together… in this show of course… They really should get a chance to be together, oh. scratch that. They should be together. Definitely.

• Joanna says:

They do make sense together. There is just something about the two of them that makes me look forward to the next episode. They SHOULD and MUST be together. It is just right.

19. I’ve been saying since last season that Sara was gong to die. That image of Laurel holding her in her arms is just like how I imagined it.

20. Ioanna says:

I wish they killed off Laurel instead.

21. Tracy Sims says:

I really liked this episode right up until the end. Not buying why they had to kill Sara. They had better come up with something epic.

Still not buying Laurel as Canary…. Dont think I ever will. Maybe if it was somebody other than Katie.

• cmunney says:

That’s what I’m saying. It’s the actress, not the character. She’s not that good of an actress. And Katie looks like she has some kind of eating disorder and we’re supposed to believe that she’s a superhero?

22. Awesome premiere…so much happenned!! I think this season has so much potential, but i’m a little disappointed by the final minutes..the writers could go with another path for Sara, even doing Laurel’s black canary arc, but sadly it was not the case. Oh well. I will miss you Sara Lance! And Go Arrow!! this season will be a roller coaster from beggining to the end..i can already feel!

23. I knew it from the moment that i heard the title ‘Sara’ for the second episode! I saw it coming..but i’m still chocked!

24. Anne says:

I really do not like Sara dying, i hate it! And now the former alcoholic junkie sister is going to be just like her, yeah right, maybe in 10 years time!

25. Sam says:

I was really liking Laurel this episode until the killed a character off just to make her relevant. Well done show.

Other than that I loved everything. Olicity’s chemistry is literally insane and so intense and I love the path they’ve set them on. Diggle was on fire tonight too! And Roy looked awesome in his new suit.

So sad about Sara. I loved her so much.

26. Hodan says:

Amazing start, horrible ending!!!

27. Lawj Aajklw says:

Komodo kills her

28. Gabriel says:

sigh dont put spoilers on the title of the article… >.>

29. Megan says:

Killing Sara Lance was the completely wrong thing to do. I can’t believe they killed her just to open up Laurel’s story. That was by far the worst decision the writers have ever made, and they’ve made a lot.

30. Candice says:

Now, that was a good ending. I liked Sara. She will be missed.

31. Eli says:

I have to admit that when Sara first appeared I didn’t care for her. Something about the actress irritated me. But then she grew on me- both Sara and Caty (more so after seeing her in The Machine). Even as an Olicity fan, I liked Oliver’s story with Sara. I figured she’d die eventually, but I was shocked when it happened in this episode. I was hoping they wouldn’t kill her yet and she’d just show up every now and then (sometimes great characters are more special when you don’t see them often). Her death made for a great episode and storyline, but I’m still sad. I’d rather see the less compelling Laurel die. Sara will always be the Canary to me.

• redmommy25 says:

I feel the same way! I really grew to like her and even like her as Oliver’s girlfriend. She was his equal. I knew she had to die to force Laurel into being Canary, but I didn’t expect it tonight!

32. Call Me Q says:

Should’ve killed off Laurel Lance instead. That would have been the best thing they could have done if someone had to be cut. Bad decision Arrow writers.

• BCfanboy says:

Agreed

• chris says:

There’s no point killing off something if there’s going to be no emotional impact to their death, which there wouldn’t be if Laurel died at this stage.

• kath says:

It would have given episode time to Diggle, Thea, Roy, Sara, Felicity …. everyone else on this show. They spent so much time last season on arcs and scenes to try to make Laurel relevant and none of it worked. I guess now they are going to try to kill off more popular characters instead of fixing Laurel.

Sadly, I was actually liking Laurel until the last few minutes. Now that I know Sara died to make Laurel BC, the gloves are off.

• Patrick says:

When this show started, Katie was the only “name” actress in the cast. Ammell was the “star” of the show, and I am sure his contract is solid. I have a feeling Katie’s is iron-clad, and dipped in gold. In other words, if they fire her, or write her off, she gets a pretty penny. And, given what have to be fairly high production costs anyway, I have a feeling that the PTB behind the show/network/producers are simply unwilling to eat the costs of writing her off. They would probably be paying her only slightly less NOT to work for them. We’re stuck with her, for the long haul.
      And, to all the other Olicity fans (of which I am a proud member), get ready. In the final season they will kill off Felicity to drive Oliver and the new Black Canary together. It will enrage a portion of the base, but, in the last season, it won’t matter.

• kath says:

Stephen Amell’s contract is for 6 years. Everyone else’s is for three. Maybe that’s why they killed Sara, because now they can’t get rid of Laurel at the end of this season because then there would be no Black Canary.

The minute they either kill Felicity or put her with someone else so that Oliver can be with Laurel is the last episode I ever watch of this show.

33. Cideric Rhyes says:

Should have killed off Felicity!!

• Sammy says:

Then you’d kill the show. She’s one of the best things about it. The show came alive when she became a regular.

34. James D says:

More Please! seriously can we get two episodes a week that would be most appreciated :) unfortunatly the ending was completely predictable for me, I blurted out Sara is going to get shot pretty much as soon as she showed up (my girlfriend is still yelling at me for ruining it for her :) oops) whenever you have a calm before the storm with these kind of shows the storm is usually pretty bad. Unfortunatly i don’t think it will stop with Sara I think bodies are going to drop this season one of which will probably be Felicity ( I really hope I’m wrong, but I get the feeling their giving us Olicity just to make it all the more painful when she is murdered) It seems pretty clear that Ra’s Al Ghul killed Sara doesn’t it? Loved Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer he is the perfect choice for Atom more so than he was for Superman. Sweet sassafras Roy has turned into a total badass as Arsenal love his costume too. Can’t Wait to see the next episode. Will Laural get training from Wildcat like she did in the comics, it seems clear loosing Sara like that will be the foundation for her to become the Black Canary.

• redmommy25 says:

They did hire someone to be Wildcat this season and, I might have imagined it, but weren’t some of the fighters in tonight’s episode wearing Wildcat boxing robes?

• James D says:

Yeah that’s why i mention it. the boxing scenes were so fast I couldn’t tell if one of the fighters was Wildcat or maybe one of the trainers was and passed the name down to his fighter. If I remember correctly Wildcat was a bit older in the comics. maybe they’ve decided to go younger? ther reason I’m thinking it is because why else bring in Wildcat if not to train Laural, it sort of a big deal in the characters cannon right?

• sillyemmy says:

Thank you for mentioning Ray Palmer! I LOVED Brandon Routh in this episode. I dig Oliver/Felicity, but I really think that Ray is such a great personality for Felicity to bounce off… both super-smart, both fast-talking. And he is SO handsome (I mean, not Arrow handsome, but a darn close second.)

35. Kate Sullivan says:

Um..ugh…but I don’t know that its a giant mystery who did it…we know who the big bad is right? And he is not pleased with anyone who leaves.

36. jc says:

I am really disappointed with what they did to sara. I really piked her and prefer her being the black canary instead of laurel. This show was my number one show but I will unfortunately stop watching. I love olicity too but i loved sara more and will miss this show oh well hopefully the ratings drop. Will keep watching the flash though awesome show.

• Lea says:

Okay, bye.

• BCfanboy says:

I agree with you that its dumb they killed off sara and not laurel. I prefer sara to laurel as Black Canary. I’m sure the ratings will drop.

• Definitely will drop … just curious to see how much, and if it’s a permanent drop.

• aunni says:

i doubt rating will drop THAT much. ppl loved sara n will miss her. bt she doesn’t has as many die hard fan as felicity. also there’s comic book purist to back up laurel. i think the flash will give arrow some boost on rating segment

• Airea says:

Hate to break it to you but with Sara gone alot of us Comic Book types will come back. We have no interest in rip off characters – including Canaries.I boycotted all of season two to get away from the witch, but if she gone, I’m watching again. I’m not alone.

• brenna says:

I don’t think the ratings will drop. Most of us liked Sara but we knew she wasn’t a permanent character and the show is so awesome that it would be crazy to stop watching it because of one character dying. She’ll be back in flashbacks anyway.

• Brigid says:

Why would the ratings drop after a guest character died? They didn’t drop when main characters Tommy and Maura died. The fact that you are going to stop watching a show you liked because a character who was on like 6 episodes is gone is odd. Why did you watch it in the first place and what did you do when she wasn’t on the other 16 episodes? Also, how childish are you that you wish the ratings drop for the fans who watch this show for what it is, the heros journey of Oliver Queen. I’ll bet money that you’ll tune in next week.

• JC1 says:

6? You haven’t paying attention. Try 22. Sara was in more episodes last season than Laurel was.

• Brigid says:

No she wasn’t. She was in a total of 23 episodes and that is including the pilot episode and the 2 from this year. So I am wrong in saying 6, it was 20, however Katie Cassidy has been in all 69 episodes to date, which is matched by Oliver, Diggle, Thea and Det. Lance. We are both wrong.

• JC1 says:

No, we are not. Laurel was only in 20 episodes last season. She did not appear in 2.06 Keep Your Enemies Closer, 2.08 The Scientist, or 2.15 The Promise (though she may have been credited for them since she’s a regular). Sara appeared in 22 episodes last season (although she was not played by Caity Lotz in her brief appearance in 2.01 City of Heroes). The only episode she did not appear in whether in present time or flashback was 2.02 Identity. If you add the pilot and the two from this season, that makes 25.

• JC1 says:

I think you must be going off IMDb information, which is not reliable because for series regulars it just shows that their name appears in the credits for that episode, not whether they actually appeared in the episode. I know for certain that neither Thea or Quentin have appeared in all 47 (not 69) episodes that have aired to date.

37. Maya says:

Sara :( I also sad that they killed her so quickly into the new season.

38. Kai says:

Wow. First Tommy and now Sara. I really wish that these writers would have realized by now that killing fan-favorites in hopes to create a better story line for Laurel will only make fans dislike her more. So for Pete’s (and Laurel’s) sake please stop.

• speedy says:

What a great point…Tommy’s death was meant to be Laurel’s island and now killing Sara propels her journey. That’s not ballsy. It’s lazy.

• Lexi says:

I’m with you. Everyone loves a good old fridging, it’s just sad it had to be Sara dying so Laurel’s story can advance. They may give Katie Cassidy something so she can show her acting chops (because she’s great), but it won’t make people like her.

• I haven’t seen any evidence of her acting ability in two seasons so far, Lexi.
        I don’t know her from anyone … so I can’t judge her on past / other shows.

Just talking about Arrow … she hasn’t brought it. She’s a cardboard cutout.

• eilowynfic says:

She was wonderful on Supernatural, but I think it’s a combination of bad characterization and bad writing. I don’t know if Meryl Streep could breathe life into Laurel.

• DarkDefender says:

I disagree. Great actors often overcome and can transcend the material that is written. Cassidy falls flat and lacks depth and nuance to her portrayal of Laurel. It will take a lot of rehab of the character to be believable as Canary, becuase well.. It is undeniable that Caity Lotz was just that good in the role.

• swanpride says:

Someone recently pointed out to me that all roles CK played so far on CW were basically the slightly mean, somewhat bitchy girl. Which, yes, I can totally see. I bet the actress is great in those roles. But that’s not what Laurel is supposed to be. She is written as the understanding character who fights for what is right no matter what. That’s what the show is telling us. But not what it is showing us. And yes, it’s partly the writing. But a great part is also the actress, who just comes off as slightly bitchy whenever she tries to convey emotions.

• Not sure fans can dislike Laurel more. LOL.

• WhootiFreakinDo says:

Just like Katie on LOST. There has to be a character on a hit tv show that everyone hates. Every show that has been epic has had the one character that everyone loves to just freaking HATE. Laurel is that character on ARROW.

39. Shelley says:

I’m glad they will continue telling Sara’s story, I liked her. And, I liked how they handled Oliver and Felicity. It makes for good story telling with the 2 mysteries for season 3. Ray and who killed Sara.

40. ? says:

Everyone say it with me: BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

HISSSSS.

. . . well, the League of Assassins does have Lazarus Pits, right? And now that the show is introducing more fantastical elements . . . well, we can hope.

• Sparky says:

From someone who hasn’t read the comics is the Lazarus pit exactly what it says on the tin, it brings people back to life???

• Jon says:

Pretty much, it heals injuries even to the point of bringing the dead back except people rarely come back 100%. They have to be very recently dead for that, the longer the person has been dead the more….wrong they come back. Ra’s has pretty much been driven insane from repeated use. He also once threw Thomas and Martha Wayne’s remains in a Lazurs Pit……it wasn’t pretty. If they Lazarus Pit Sara they chances are good Team Arrow would have to put her down again.

41. wonderwall says:

I liked Laurel in this episode… Until they decided to kill Sara. Now I just plain resent Laurel. Ugh. That’s all I’m going to say.

• speedy says:

THIS FOR ME TOO. Except the part about liking Laurel. I didn’t hate her. I just tend to tune her out or grab food for her scenes. But then they killed Sara and now I just resent the Laurel BC story.

• Probably the closest comment I’ve seen to how I feel.
        I was on the fence about Katie Cassidy, and willing to give her and the writers a chance … but now I’m just over the whole thing.

KC scenes = time to go grab some food. Good call.
        I wonder if I’ll make it through this entire season. It’s 60/40 right now.

• Jessie says:

Word. Sara was one of my favourite female characters on the show and it will be lesser without her. Laurel was like a roy, an eh character but bad move by the writers.

42. Joey Padron says:

Great premiere. Shocked and sad they killed Sara. Gonna miss her on the show. Roy did great fighting out in the city with Oliver. Diggle’s baby is so cute. Not good Captain Lance have not gotten better and is in hospital.

43. robinepowell says:

Killing Sarah was not something anyone could see coming. What a shocker for Sarah fans.

R.I.P. Sarah Lance, you will be missed.

44. kath says:

It was a good episode, interesting, lots of good Diggle and Oliver (great hug at last), Roy and Quentin stuff, until the last few minutes. Ray Palmer seems too sleazy to be a viable interest for Felicity though. Hacking QC does not make me like him.

I was actually liking Laurel, good lawyer, caring daughter until they killed off Sara so she can take over being the Black Canary..

Now I’m waiting for Felicity to die so Laurel can have Oliver too.

I have NO interest in Sara flashbacks now that I know she’s dead.

PRODUCERS, YOU H AVE FAILED THIS SHOW!

45. DarkDefender says:

This episode was so awesome.
    We got it all:
    A Reverse Superman (brilliant)
    A dead Canary (killer: ra’s al ghul?) RIP
    Amell on Amell action (they actually topped the Slade/Arrow real time/flashback fight)
    Ray Palmer (Routh channeling Reeve’s Superman?)
    Olicity literally (and figuratively) blowing up.
    I.Love.This.Show.

46. Gordon Rick says:

I am so mad I cannot see straight. I will not be watching this show any more. If the EP did not listen to the fans who said get rid of Katie Cassidy, he must not want people to watch his show so I will oblige him.

47. CK says:

Maybe they will start utilizing Laurel now, she’s gone from lead love interest to girl who is kinda there and in danger. Don’t get me wrong, I love Felicity and Olicity needs to be end game, but Laurel’s is slowly becoming a side-side character.

• I don’t know why they have not utilized Laurel that much, but I suspect it’s because they hired Ms. Cassidy for looks, and they have come to realize she can’t deliver the breadth they need/want for the Laurel Lance character.

The producers have no one to blame but themselves.

48. JC1 says:

You know, I was so mad after last season’s finale and that stupid jacket handoff scene that I was done with the show. And then they started talking about Sara coming back, and Caity Lotz being around for five or so episodes, and Colton Haynes said something about Sara and Roy getting closer this season (what the hell?), and so I decided to give the show another chance. I was stupid to get my hopes up again about Sara’s survival, but no more. I am done. I am beyond furious. I can’t even stand to look at Laurel now. I don’t care what they do. She will NEVER be Black Canary as far as I’m concerned. That was and always will be only Sara. I don’t care what Laurel’s name is. I’m done with them destroying other good characters to try to fix a character that’s been a failure from day one except they just refuse to admit it. And I think kath has an excellent point that the Olicity fans (of which I am not one) should think about seriously. If they’re so damn determined to keep to the comics canon that they’d destroy an amazing character like Sara to prop a failure of a character like Laurel, how long before Felicity and Olicity is also sacrificed on the altar of Laurel Lance and the holy Green Arrow/Black Canary pairing?

• JC1 says:

And I’m apparently so mad that I forgot to close my italics tag. *sigh*

• JC1 says:

The one good thing? At least they did it up front instead of dragging it out and me having time to get interested in other storylines, which was part of the problem last season – I didn’t care for the last half of the season but I wanted to at least see how it ended. Now I can cheerfully drop the show from my watchlist without feeling like I have to finish the story.

• Totally understand why you’re upset. I sympathize.

It sucks when the people in charge are too stupid to see the oncoming train wreck.

• JC1 says:

Thank you. It sucks because there was a time not so long ago when I was totally in love with this show. But I don’t have the time or energy to waste on a show that’s going to frustrate me this much. I did watch the Flash pilot and enjoyed that. I’m just going to focus on that one and the other shows I’m still watching and enjoying and let this one go. :(

• Sammy says:

I totally agree with you. If they wanted Laurel to be a believable BC they should have started her journey after Tommy died and they never should have bought Caity Lotz on to play Sara because Sara will ALWAYS be BC to me. Right now the only reason Laurel will become BC is because of her name and that is just total crap and really bad writing.

I do, however, think the ship has sailed on the Laurel/Oliver pairing though, even more so now that Laurel will be BC. With Olicity’s popularity I don’t see a logical way they can go back there and I don’t see them killing off Felicity at all.

• Airea says:

You don’t read comics, do you? Those two break up and get back all the freakin’ time.

Welcome to on again/off again hell.

• Sammy says:

No. I don’t have to read the comics to enjoy a TV show and the L/O pairing is tedious. They have no chemistry. The romance side of this show was clearly restructured as a result.

49. bullmike23 says:

Man, this episode seemed very shipper focused. It was all about pairings, with just a little bit of story thrown in. I don’t care who dates who. I don’t need ‘cute’ moments b/t Oliver &Laurel, Sara & Oliver, Felicity & Oliver, Felicity & Palmer, or Diggle and his ex.

They need to figure out something better to do with Roy too. He was basically just a prop in this episode. Use him or lose him.

Hopefully, the death will amp things up. I want it to go the path of team Arrow uniting, and going after the killer. Have Oliver approach Wilson’s level of revenge, but w/o the insanity.

Unfortunately, I think it will just end up as a jumped-the-shark moment. It seems like this season will focus more on melodrama, fake tears, love triangles/squares/pentagons, and shipping. Personally, I don’t want it turning into the typical CW fare.

Its only been one episode though. Hopefully, I am completely off base! I’d love to be wrong. With Palmer, Waller, and al’Ghuls in the mix, it could end up being really bad ass. Fingers crossed.

50. I think Merlyn killed Sara

• Seems likely. But … kinda hoping it’s less obvious than that.

• Sparky says:

But if Merlyn killed her that would bring Ra’s back. We know he’s coming but we also know what Merlyn’s reaction was to Moira getting in touch to tell him that Merlyn was alive and in Starling City. We don’t know why Sara came back. Did she finally decide she was done with the LoA and he couldn’t deal with her leaving again so he had her killed. Will be interesting to see how this drives the story going forward for the first half of the season….So far I’m loving it.

• John NYC says:

When Sara was talking to Oliver she said she had made her choice (to rejoin the LoA) so I don’t see her being killed for leaving, Merlyn now with his signature arrows I can see, which draws in Nyssa and then Ra’s with spillover: or just Ra’s going after Thea and Oliver stepping in the middle so save his sister, to which opposition Ra’s does not respond well.

• Shannon says:

Based on Sara’s reaction, I’m pretty sure it was Ra’s. Especially, since he’s going to show up in ep 4. This kind of character needs a good lead in and this is a good way to start it.