Ratings: Mulaney Opens Low, Football- Free Fox 'Toons Fall, ABC Dramas Slip

Mulaney Premiere Ratings

Fox’s Mulaney premiered on Sunday night to 2.3 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating, down 47 and 52 percent from what American Dad! did in the time slot a year ago and netting the lowest demo number of any fresh broadcast fare.

TVLine readers gave the new comedy an average grade of “C-.”

Opening Fox’s primetime line-up — which this week enjoyed no football lead-in — Bob’s Burgers returned to 3.2 mil and a 1.4 (up from its finale but down 25 percent from its previous premiere), The Simpsons (4.3 mil/2.0) fell 49 percent, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.3 mil/1.6) slipped 38 percent (but is still up versus its Season 1 average) and Family Guy (3.7 mil/1.9) dropped 57 percent.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Recap: Icebreaker

Over on ABC, Once Upon a Time (8.6 mil/3.1) easily led all non-sports programming in the demo yet slipped 15 percent from its premiere, while Resurrection (6.2 mil/1.8) fell 27 percent and Revenge (4.9 mil/1.3) was down 13 percent.

RELATED Revenge Recap: Old Flames

CBS’ numbers, which are tentative due to some football overrun, currently stand as follows: Madam Secretary (12.2 mil/1.7, up 21 percent); The Good Wife (10.5 mil/1.4, ticking up a tenth); and CSI (7.8 mil/1.3, down 17 percent in audience but steady in the demo).

RELATED The Good Wife Recap: Good Christian Pitches

NBC Sunday Night Football (18.1 mil/6.9) dipped 9 percent from last week’s preliminary numbers.

1. TVSERIESADDICT says:

this NEEDS to be the last season of Revenge. The show’s title is irrelevant to the story line right now. Victoria’s revenge plan on Emily does not count because it was never the main point of the show.
    not at all worried for Once Upon a Time, Season 5 is definitely confirmed.
    very extremely sad about Family Guy’s HUGE drop after hitting a 4 year high. Though the episode was a bit off actually a lot off presumably one of the worst.. looks like you people dodged a bullet right there!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

READER ADVISORY: I had a typo for FAMILY GUY originally — it did a 1.9 (not a 1.0). TVLine regrets the inconvenience.

• george says:

I gave up on revenge this season, boring.

• TVSERIESADDICT says:

well you can’t really denounce a season after only a couple of episodes.. I agree the show went on more than it should have but boring is never a word to describe it. Still remains the fashionably classy drama/thriller we all bound to love!

• Nate says:

You do know this season of revenge just started last week. Just because you don’t care for it doesn’t mean others don’t

2. Coal says:

Its a blessing and probably a curse too that The Good Wife is on CBS I think based on perception of the procedural nature of the channel it won’t get as high demo ratings as your more serialized Scandals and Greys of this world, but CBS is loyal to their shows and 10m viewers is great even if apparently they are old.

• herman1959 says:

Um, I’m sure that you meant to say they are OLDER.

• Boiler says:

Yup one nice thing about CBS especially. You would think someone could figure out ways to advertise to us “older” folks.

• Moment says:

TGW probably doesn’t have that much longer left on the network, the 18-49 is weak even for Sundays. Just about the only thing keeping it alive is the critical acclaim it receives. I honestly believe next season Sundays will look a bit different on CBS, I think at some point Elementary will be moved there.

3. Suddenly says:

So sad for Mulaney as I’ve always liked the guy’s comedy but what a hot mess of a show. I knew the premise included “a show within a show” and honestly thought the first few minutes were of that “show within” being a bad parody of a sitcom – it was but turn out it is the actual show. Were professionals actually involved with this? The Beveryly Hillbillies called and would like their laugh track back. Love REVENGE and wished it’d go back to Wed or at least at 9 on Sun.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And, I believe, what aired last night was actually the fourth epsiode MULANEY shot.

• Suddenly says:

Wow! How does this happen? I mean we all are good at Monday morning quarterbacking but honestly how does this make it to air?

• S. says:

The fourth episode? Yikes. How bad were 1-3? It’s so disappointing. I was really looking forward to his show originally because of course you think it’ll be great. It’s John Mulaney. The question is, do they try to fix it (is that even possible?) or do they try to come up with something different? I wish they hadn’t named this one after him. It works if your show becomes Seinfeld. Ray Romano had to be convinced to put his name in the show in part because it’s embarrassing if the media goes “Well looks like everybody DOESN’T love Raymond, har har…”

4. BrittBrat says:

I knew Mulaney was doomed from looking at the preview. Fox needs to get it together!

5. CountryQueen says:

Mulaney was pretty bad. His acting was horrible! Bearded guy seemed pointless. I liked Family Guy. I know some people who have become running addicts and can relate. LOL Stopped watching Revenge last season, sounds like I made the right choice.

6. RichCD says:

That’s still a great number for OUAT. After last season, and especially the way they killed Neal, I was ready to give up on it. But this season has been a big improvement over S3.

7. Joe says:

Revenge has to end , and I’m a fan since day one, this season has nothing to do with the original premise, I’m sticking around,( don’t know how much longer)

• Suddenly says:

I’m glad they’re trying to evolve the show and not stretch it like say UNDER THE DOME. I’d watch Emily and Victoria go at it regardless of the premise. I do get tired of the “Emily in dire danger” thing as who honestly thinks she’s not going to survive gunshot wound; exploding boat; fire; etc.?

8. Lupe says:

I’m really enjoying ” Madam Secretary”

• Uh uh says:

Me too. Despite the fact that the hubby/grades subplot was beyond stupid last night, I find myself enjoying Madame Secretary a great deal. Gives me a little bit of “West Wing” feels.

• Moment says:

That’s what CBS calls it, there’s no “e” on the end in the show title.

• Megan says:

I’m liking it too. I just hope they’ll start doing some original procedural stories instead of pulling stuff from the headlines. It’s starting to feel a bit lazy. But the show has a lot of potential!

9. Kimmie says:

I’m usually generous when it comes to new shows – very few do I dislike from the get-go. But Mulaney was awful. The jokes were not all bad, but the set up and delivery was so awkward and almost painful to watch. He just cannot act, the crazy girl was over-the-top annoying, and the drug dealer – what is the trend lately with red headed/fully bearded guys being doofy/stupid/annoying sidekicks on shows lately? This was by far the worst new comedy so far this season – much worse than the stupid ones on ABC and amazingly worse than Bad Judge (which was awful). Makes me long for Trophy Wife and The Neighbors (both silly but really quite funny!).

• Boiler says:

Kimmie, didn’t watch Mulaney but I agree with Trophy Wife and Neighbors. Were very funny and some now just don’t cut it

10. herman1959 says:

Well Fox, it just got real – this is what life will look like after football. Bye-bye Mulaney.

11. willhowcoop says:

Those Mulaney numbers….wow. That has to be some kind of record low for a fall premiere.

• Patrick says:

I bet they miss American Dad right about now.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As a matter of fact, yes — lowest-rated comedy launch ever for a Big 4 network.

• S. says:

On the plus side (if there is one), he’ll be able to riff on that in his stand up. It’d probably be pretty funny. Is “Do No Harm” still the lowest-rated network drama? I thought it was at the time. Might’ve been eclipsed.

12. great for ouat dropped but had a great rating

13. John NYC says:

Good for Madame Secretary.

14. Pat says:

Those Mulaney numbers are horrible. Fox better just wise up and order more 24. Heck, bet if the aired the 7 minute Tony Almeida extra it get higher ratings.

15. Jenna says:

I enjoy Madame Secretary, and The Good Wife is such a gem for CBS. CSI sticks out like a sore thumb now. Sad, but it’s past time to retire the show. Stalker may not be my cup of tea, but it’s got potential…and Maggie Q.

16. Sean Nixon says:

No more American Dad after Family Guy=dislike. Probably why the ratings fell.

17. Moment says:

Even with the Football inflating the CBS shows, the network is doing worse than what it did last year in the 18-49 without TAR in the 8pm slot. That said, neither TAR or Madam Secretary do that much for the TGWs 18-49. TAR boosted it a few tenths here and there.

18. Art says:

Mulaney. Terrible,amateur production with no real humor. Second episode would be a waste of sponsors money.