Ratings: Stalker Matches CSI Numbers, Criminal Minds Returns Strong, Red Band Stabilizes, black-ish Drops

Stalker Premiere Ratings

CBS’ Stalker on Wednesday night found 9.1 million people following it, paired with a 2.0 demo rating (per finals) — the exact same numbers that CSI returned to a year ago in the time slot.

Versus CSI’s May finale, Stalker (which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B”) was down 10 percent in audience but up a tenth in the demo.

RELATED Criminal Minds‘ Season 10 Premiere: Do You Like the Addition of ‘Love’?

Opening the Eye’s night, Survivor (9.5 mil/2.4) dipped 3 and 11 percent from its premiere. Criminal Minds opened Season 10 with 11.7 mil and a 2.7, up a bit in viewers but off a tenth from its previous premiere. (TVLine readers gave the episode a “B+,” with nearly 80 percent liking.loving the addition of Jennifer Love Hewitt.)

Elsewhere….

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (9 mil/1.5) dipped 10 percent in audience while steady in the demo, SVU (7.8 mil/1.8) fell 23 and 18 percent and Chicago P.D. (6.6 mil/1.5) dropped 22 and 21 percent.

ABC | The Middle (7.4 mil/2.0) slipped 3 and 9 percent, The Goldbergs (7.1 mil/2.3) again built on its lead in but ticked down 3 percent week-to-week, Modern Family (10.6 mil/3.7) dipped 7 and 5 percent and black-ish (8.3 mil/2.6) dropped 25 and 21 percent from its debut. Nashville closed the night with 5.3 mil/1.6, up a tenth from its premiere.

RELATED Kim Roots’ Nashville Recap: Juliette’s Baby Daddy Revealed?

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (3.9 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth, while Red Band Society (3.3 mil/1/1) was flat.

1. Kubrick says:

If I’ve learned anything from CBS its never get excited for the premiere episode of any show. *cough* Intelligence *cough*. Also anyone think its weird NBC and CBS always seem to have similar programs on the same night?

2. Whatevah says:

I love blackish

3. Robbee67 says:

I found Stalker qiute boring. Will not be watching!

• BrittBrat says:

I still don’t get why people give a show one episode and then bolt. Some shows take a few episodes to get better!

• John NYC says:

Indeed, especially since most pilots are a rough draft of what the show hopes to be, IMHO, but execution of the intention can take a while.

That said, show’s creepier than I prefer so I’m doubtful I’ll stay longterm.

4. herman1959 says:

Funny thing about Blackish – last night’s episode was better than the premiere, it was HILARIOUS! I haven’t laughed that much a quite a while. I be watching next week.

5. Dee Litner says:

I wouldn’t say CM returned strong. It was down a tenth in the demo and up only slightly in viewers year-over-year. I think more was expected with the addition of JLH.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Steady” is the new “up.” Fact.

• Angela says:

LOL, I like that line of thinking.
        I consider it impressive when a show that’s been on ten years gets good ratings of any sort, period, so I’m just happy that “Criminal Minds” had a decent viewership in general. And looking online it seems others out there tended to be in agreement with most viewers here about Hewitt, too, so yay. All in all, this news is good to me.

• Moment says:

Why? Nashville will get a Season 4 purely for syndication. These ratings don’t matter much at all.

• ggny000 says:

Hour Long Drama dont sell in Syndication. I doubt it will see another season for that reason

• Moment says:

Actually Lionsgate have a vested interest in getting it to syndication and were the ones to get Nashville a full season order. ABC wanted a shorter season, thus Nashvilles third season renewal was held up. It will get a Season 4.

• herman1959 says:

The good ones sell – how about Law & Order and The West Wing?

• Moment says:

The point really though is for studios to get their shows to at least 88 episodes and sell them into syndication. It’s a gamble for some as they may not get a buyer even after the show has finished, but if they are successful that’s when they make quite a lot of money, thus Nashville’s renewal being an absolute certainty at this point.

• BlueBelle says:

Ahh…Law & Order (the Mothership). In the future, If we have an apocalypse, there are three things that are guaranteed: 1)cockroaches, 2)Cher will be still on her farewell tour and 3)Reruns of Law & Order will be playing on television.

• Brandy says:

Wrong.Nashville has a deal with CMT I’ve heard and ABC produces it so they will get it to syndication & syndication.Youre also wrong that hour long dramas don’t sell in syndication:Ghost Whisperer,Law & Order,Law & Order:SVV,Good Wife ( though these are procedurals ), Veronica Mars,Charmed,Angel,Buffy,Smallville,Supernatrual,Gilmore Girls,Gossip Girl,BH 90210,One Tree Hill,The OC,7th Heaven,Walton,Touched by an Angel,Highway to Heaven,Little House on the Praire,NCIS/NCIS( though again,they’re procedurals),Dawson’s Creek,Greys Anatomy,Scandal,Desperate Housewives,Nikita(CW version)-these are just some hour long dramas that are in or have been in syndication

• Boiler says:

Gee TNT, TBS, etc have all kinds of them

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I know you love your “syndication” arguments, but syndication isn’t the “given” for dramas that it is for comedies. Sitcoms strip much more easily and are snatched up much more readily, because they are more timeless, less serialized. Same goes for DVD sales — comedies easily get full-season DVDs, while dramas are a harder sell (and on some occasions don’t ever get one).

• Moment says:

For the most part though, most shows with 65/66 episodes will be renewed by any of the major networks to get them to 88 episodes. That is a given.

• John NYC says:

Certainly true for me, when I get the mood I’ll randomly set my DVRs to record “repeats” of, say, TBBT on the syndication channels and happily watch whatever I “catch”, doing that with a serialized show where I know the “ending? Harder prospect since I’m not generally into rereading books either.

• Kathy A says:

We’re the opposite. We’ll happily rewatch shows like House, NCIS, or SVU on USA or Cloo (I can’t stand to type that ridiculous spelling) even though we own the DVDs. And we also like to reread our favorite books (not that it stops me from spending an average of $150 on new paperbacks each month).

• Dina says:

At least it didn’t drop (that’s what I’m telling myself). It was pretty consistant at 1.5 last season too.

• Dina says:

At least it didn’t fall (that’s what I’m telling myself). It was 1.5 pretty much all S2 as well.

• Dina says:

At least it didn’t fall (that’s what I’m telling myself). It was 1.5 pretty much all last season as well.

6. cdhaskell says:

CBS knew what show will be a hit. too bad that the CBS show Intelligence didn’t have a chance to become a hit. I can’t wait to see what happened in the second week.

7. Katherine215 says:

That Mysteries of Laura demo isn’t far off from Revolution’s ratings last season. Yes, I am still (somewhat irrationally) bitter that that show was canceled for this dreck.

• Moment says:

Revolution was canceled because it was an expensive Scifi series that hit as low as a 1.1 before NBC pulled the plug. I don’t think you can blame them for that. And yep I followed the show too and was sad to see it go. People simply lost interest.

• Katherine215 says:

Yes, I know what it hit last season. MoL is likely to get there halfway through its first season. I can’t comment on cost, because I don’t know what either show cost to make. I can still be annoyed with NBC for canceling a show I liked due to ratings and putting another low-rated show in its place.

• Moment says:

I don’t believe Revolution was canceled for MOL though, it was more a case of the show being placed in the schedule after the cancelation had occurred. It’s a very weak slot for the network and they likely didn’t want to risk something more important there.

• Maryann says:

Revolution was put in a very bad timeslot. It belonged at nine or ten PM. It just wasn’t an 8 PM type show. I blame the network for not trying it in a different timeslot to give it a chance to get back its season one mojo before just canceling it, especially since season two was so much better in every way than season one.

• Moment says:

In fairness the writing had a lot to do with it as well. They changed the overall tone of Season 2, it was no longer that swashbuckling adventure show of Season 1. Be it budget or otherwise they also spent far too long in the same place, where as in Season 1 they had lots of new environments.

• mari johnson says:

Me too! I think revolution was really coming around

8. Moment says:

ABC and CBS had a good night mostly, NBC did okay, Fox did expectedly poor.

9. Laura says:

Mot surprised Mysteries of Laura is doing poorly. It’s been expected. SVU is going to continue to tank as well. NBC needs to try something new. Or not. Get rid of it all.

10. Gerry Haines says:

I like Mysteries ofLaura, Debra is really good in it. all the other shows have not done much for me. Chicago PD is good

11. Coal says:

The premise of Blackish was very polarising, but yesterday’s episode was a very hilarious family comedy which any race can related to. ABC shot themselves in the foot with how they marketed this show. Sidebar. Rand Band Society numbers hurt me.

12. Chris gray says:

What’s up with the Middle. In my opinion the funniest comedy on. Very underrated. Where’s the Emmy nods for the show and the cast.

• Boiler says:

I like The Middle but it was not funny at all last night

• MiaB says:

I agree. It wasn’t that funny last night. Plus, The Middle is everywhere. It’s on at least 3 channels every day and not for an hour like Modern Family. I mean it’s on for like 5 or 6 hours a day. I’m a little Middle-ed out.

13. JG says:

The Goldberg’s seems like it will be a steady player in its new Tuesday timeslot. Loved last nights episode!

14. sarah j says:

Well my first choice is Chicago PD! I hope the numbers do not continue to drop, I hope it is just because people watched Stalker to see what it was all about and I hope the numbers are better for Chicago PD next week.
    I recorded Nashville and Stalker.

15. Kat says:

I think networks do themselves a disservice by not making the previous seasons of their shows available on Netflix during the summer months (particularly given that their goal is to attract younger viewers). I got into Criminal Minds over the summer via a spontaneous Netflix binge and last night’s episode was the first I watched live. Sure, I only watched it live because I’m visiting my parents and next week I’ll return to my life as an poor 20-something without cable, but still…

16. Guest says:

Matt, does Red Band Society stabilizing mean that it’s safe for now? I sure hope so!

17. TVFan says:

I wish Red Band was on another next work. Then it would have a more likely chance to survive. I am obsessed with Chicago PD. I hope their numbers go up next week and hold steady.

18. Bwhit says:

Chicago PD hit its stride last night. That was the best episode I have seen from it. I am excited for next week.

19. The First 2 Law & Order: SVU episodes were really good. I suggested moving it away from Criminal Minds, but NBC didn’t think it was needed. I will be reminding everyone of that incessantly when it comes time to renew SVU for Season 17. Criminal Minds is one of the top 5 shows on network TV, and they went out and spent big money to bring in Jennifer Love Hewitt to make it even stronger. NBC didn’t do that for SVU.

20. Moment says:

Some nice adjustments in the finals, and apologies Matt, I didn’t mean to cause a huge debate on syndication, it was more just a harmless reassurance to a concerned fan, I’ll refrain from using the word for a while lol

21. androme3 says:

Even though it was expected to drop, I’m really glad the Black-is didn’t drop hard.
    Although strangely, that was expected too. Good for Black-ish.

22. The Mysteries of Laura has already been scratched from my PVR after just one and a half episodes. Madame Secretary and Forever look good though. The last two shows have goo chemistry among it’s characters while Mysteries just disappointed me.

23. Lindsey says:

I had two fears about Red Band Society: 1) That it would start off being a good show and then turn into crap, like Glee, and 2) That it would get cancelled. From the looks of things, the latter is most likely to happen. I just hope it at least gets a full season because I’m really enjoying it so far.

24. mayah says:

I like the show. or maybe in just liking it because nikita is in it…..LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!