Ratings: black-ish Opens Big, Goldbergs Returns Strong, Red Band Society and Mysteries of Laura Expectedly Dip

Black-ish Premiere Ratings

ABC just may have finally solved its years-long Modern Family lead-out problem.

The new comedy black-ish premiered on Wednesday night to 11 million total viewers and a 3.3 rating (per finals), demonstrating 96 and 85 percent retention out of Modern Family (11.4 mil/3.9, down 3 and 7 percent from a year ago). For comparison’s sake, Super Fun Night a year ago only managed 75 percent retention.

Earning an average grade of “B-“ from TVLine readers, black-ish was up from both Super Fun Night‘s bow (8.2 mil/3.2) and what Mixology last did in the time slot (4 mil/1.3).

RELATED black-ish Premiere: Did You Fall for ABC’s Newest Modern Family?

Opening ABC’s night, The Middle (7.6 mil/2.2) ticked up from its May finale but was down 16 and 12 percent from its previous premiere. With its second-best tallies ever, The Goldbergs (7.3 mil/2.4) built on The Middle‘s demo number, was up two tenths from Back in the Game‘s year-ago rating and greatly improved on Suburgatory‘s most recent delivery (5.2 mil/1.6).

At 10 pm, Nashville (average grade: “B”) did 5.8 mil/1.5, up versus its finale but off 14 and 25 percent from its Season 2 opener.

RELATED Nashville Premiere Recap: Three Chords and the (Hard) Truth

Elsewhere….

CBS | Survivor returned to 9.8 mil and a 2.7, up a tenth from its year-ago premiere and marking its best fall opener since 2012. Big Brother (6.9 mil/2.6) was up 5 percent and a tenth from its previous finale.

NBC | Now leading off the night, The Mysteries of Laura did 10 mil/1.5, slipping 25 percent in the demo and off three tenths from Revolution‘s year-ago opener; the Debra Messing drama however was up sharply from Revo‘s finale (4.1 mil/1.1). SVU returned to 10.1 mil/2.2 (down 19 percent in the demo from its 2013 premiere), while Chicago P.D. (8.5 mil/1.9, average grade “A-“) dipped just a tenth from its January launch.

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (3.7 mil/1.3) dipped 9 percent and a tenth, while Red Band Society (3.4 mil/1.1) — now facing stiffer competition — was down 17 and 15 percent from its premiere.

THE CW | Penn & Teller: Fool Us (1.5 mil/0.5) held steady in its finale.

NEXT WEDNESDAY: CBS’ Criminal Minds and Stalker premiere

1. Moment says:

The Mysteries of Laura had an expected drop but at 9.90 million viewers its pretty safe still. And it appears to have given a nice boost to Law and Order SVU. Shame about Red Band Society, I guess the recovery was not going to happen there. Black-ish did pretty awesome. All in all NBC, ABC and CBS had a great night. Wednesdays appear to be a failure for Fox though.

2. Whatevah says:

Modern Family was so funny last night.

• Ron says:

Wholeheartedly agree! I think it’s starting to become the popular thing to say the show isn’t funny anymore, and admittedly seasons 4 & 5, though not bad, weren’t the show’s strongest. But the season 6 opener had me laughing hysterically throughout the entire episode. I loved it!

• Justin says:

Yes it was absolutely hilarious!!

3. Eric7740 says:

Yay Survivor and Mysteries of Laura!!!
    I just love Debra Messing!!!

4. BrittBrat says:

Fox is having a rough Fall season! Hopefully people are watching on DVR because they might be in trouble.

5. Patrick says:

Red Band is probably gone. Sorry for everyone involved, and its fans.

6. kd83954 says:

Fox needs to put Red Band Society on Tuesdays ASAP.

7. androme3 says:

All the shows I watched on ABC (Middle, Goldbergs & black-ish) were amazing.
    And the ratings built on that greatness.
    Congrats to the Alphabet on a fantastic night last night.
    This is gonna be a cool season on this night.

8. Coal says:

Doesn’t look good for Red band society

9. Mika02 says:

Please move Red Band Society to 8pm; My 12 year old Daughter, all her friends and I love it but Wednesday at 9pm just doesnt work very well. We Dvr it and watch it the next day because it past her bed time. It’s a really great show!

I loved Black_ish I hope it continues to do well in the ratings. I think this ABC line up has the been the best comedy block in a long while and I don’t even really like the Middle or Modern Family. But I love the Goldbergs and Black_ish so I will stay for the whole night.

Nashville I love you but we need a strong couple on the show stat for us to hold on to, come back week after week to watch their relationship and those around them. This situation is not working and even I am thinking of tapping out for the season if this continues.

10. cdhaskell says:

I was surprised how good Blackish was. When I read how good the series is I thought the series wouldn’t live up to the press. I can’t wait to see the second episode. I hope that Cosby cast will appear in future episode.

11. steveo says:

How did RED BAND do in the Live+3 and Live+7 last week?

12. Christina says:

“ABC just may have finally solved its years-long Modern Family lead-out problem.”

RIP Trophy Wife.

13. wrstlgirl says:

Such a shame about Red Band. I wish people hadn’t dismissed it without giving it a chance. It’s not what they think.

14. CJ says:

So bummed that no one is watching Red Band Society. It is such a sweet little show with a great cast, and it’s touching without being too sappy. I’ll watch it while I can, but I expect that won’t be much longer :-/

15. Leo says:

Now when the ratings drop for blackish next week just like all ratings do after pilots people will be saying it’s going to fail.

16. Diane says:

Happy to see The Goldbergs’ numbers. I think it is the funniest and sweetest sitcoms out of the four.

17. mollytanner says:

ABC, NBC, and CBS have found some success so far this season. Just not a great year for Fox.

18. Eric says:

Red Band Society is the only show that I bother to watch live, but it appears that it’s on life support this shortly after the premiere. Very upsetting. On the bright side, super happy about ABC’s numbers, especially Modern Family and The Goldbergs.

19. Pat says:

The Mysteries of Laura was pretty good last night. I think a little better then last weeks debut. The only thing that drives me crazy are the two kids who play her sons. They are really out of control at times and that can be a distraction. Fortunately, last night we did not see as much of them as last week.

20. Canadian says:

And ABC’s fortunes are going to be even better tonight with Shondaland returning en masse.

21. Stan Gary says:

Am I the only person who did not like “Black-ish”????

22. John NYC says:

Mysteries of Laura was an improvement (IMHO) over the pilot with the one sort of hilarious but odd exception of them showing an overheard panning shot of the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges as Laura drove to see a victim’s husband in “Staten Island”…

23. Mary Ann says:

I like The Mysteries of Laura. It’s a nice, light entertaining show. I like the dark crimes shows too, such as The Black List, but sometimes it’s good to have something that makes you smile along with the drama.

24. herman1959 says:

Sorry, but I think the reason for Red Bank Society’s drop is obvious: a lot of people just don’t want to see a show about kids dying every week(I know I don’t).

25. Amber says:

I loved Black ish. I plan to DVR Mysteries of Laura when it repeats Friday night. Black ish takes priority of Debra Messing. : ) Last night I DRVd something else during Mysteries.

26. black-ish surprised me. maybe i will check it soon

27. I liked The mysteries of Laura and loved SVU of course I can’t wait 4 criminal Minds and I’m gonna start watching Blackis!!!

28. herman1959 says:

Ok, I have to admit I liked Blackish. Let’s see about next week.

29. WenRaz says:

The Goldbergs and Black-ish FTW! Loved Goldbergs last year and thrilled it garnered a 2nd season. Black-ish sounded kind of corny, but it was enjoyable. Anthony Anderson is a very likable actor and his chemistry with Tracee Ross is fantastic. Morpheus as Pops is the icing on the cake!

30. David says:

Not form the US, and struggle to understand your demo ratings. I get that the demo figure relates to the target demographic for advertisers etc, but why does that class the popularity of a programme, surely if a show gets 18 million viewers and another show gets 10 million , the 18 million is the more popular show. Sure the 10 million may have the higher demo rating which advertisers want, but it doesnt make the show a more popular show than the 18 million one surely

31. Laura says:

Let’s see how long SVU keeps these numbers. Oh that’s right, they won’t. And they were down in the demo so they can stop with the bragging like they owned the night. It’ll never happen again.

32. Moment says:

When NBC gives The Mysteries of Laura a back 9 order. I wonder how many doubters will proclaim to be surprised?

33. The Mysteries of Laura would be alot better without those bratty kids, they just throw off the whole thing.

34. Sharon says:

Those of you sounding the death knoll for MoL don’t seem to have taken into consideration that although its 18-49 has fallen, it is still a notably high demo for the 8pm timeslot.

• Moment says:

That and the show has given Law and Order SVU its highest rated premiere in terms of viewership in 7 years. Those older viewers stuck around for other NBC programming that night.

35. Terry says:

I watched the premiere of Black-ish and wanted to like it, because I like the lead actors. I did not find a single laugh in the whole show. Very disappointed. I may try later in the t.season when they get a few under their belt.

36. weight down says:

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am in fact happy to read all at alone place.

37. James says:

Nashville is good and Chicago PD is good the rest of the shows mentioned are not anything I will watch again.

• cdhaskell says:

I lost count on how many show that ABC debut at 9:30 pm which fail. I thought here we go again another show that will fail. I was surprised that I love Blackish. Anthony Anderson and the cast make the show come alive. I hope that ABC will renewal the show for the second season.

38. Jackie L says:

Nashville ratings are low because the storyline has gone down the last two seasons..now most of the time you know where it’s headed. Rayna was a strong women with a good head on her shoulder now she acts like a teenager or 20 something when it comes to men…people do move on..why can’t she…& get her business stable..basically you expect everything that is happening in the show to happen. Writers are not writing like they did in the beginning..they are on the wrong track.