Ratings: Mysteries of Laura Cops Big Numbers Leading Out of Talent Finale, Red Band Society Opens Low

Mysteries of Laura Ratings

Wednesday’s premiere of NBC’s poorly reviewed The Mysteries of Laura drew 10.2 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating (per finals), in a special time slot leading out of the America’s Got Talent finale.

That’s up sharply from Ironside‘s year-ago debut (6.8 mil/1.3) and marks TV’s most watched series launch since Believe (which in March led out of The Voice with 10.6 mil).

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

Worth noting: In fast nationals, Laura — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “C+” —  opened with 11.3 mil and a 2.3, then slipped to 9.6 mil/1.9 in its second half hour.

The Debra Messing starrer moves to its regular, Wednesdays-at-8 time slot next week, where it will face off against Hell’s Kitchen, Survivor, The Middle/The Goldbergs and, eventually, Arrow.

The aforementioned AGT (12.2 mil/2.4) was up 10 percent in viewers but down a tenth in the demo from its previous finale.

The night’s other big bow, Fox’s Red Band Society, presented with a slow pulse, sadly, drawing 4.1 million viewers and a 1.3 rating — down significantly from The X Factor‘s year-ago numbers (7.3 mil/2.2) in the time slot. That said, the heartwarmer’s numbers held steady throughout the hour. TVLine readers gave the premiere a “B+.”

Over on CBS, Big Brother (6.7 mil/2.2) dipped 4 percent and two tenths, while the Extant finale (5.4 mil/1.0) popped 20 and 25 percent. Versus its June launch, the summer series — which TVLine readers gave an overall grade of “C+” — wound up down 43 and 37 percent.

Elsewhere: Hell’s Kitchen opened Fox’s night with 4 mil/1.4, dipping 9 percent and a tenth…. The CW’s Penn & Teller: Fool Us (1.6 mil/0.5) was flat.

1. Eric says:

Really disappointed that The Mysteries of Laura did so well while Red Band Society had very few viewers at all. I really hope it has to do with RBS’s pilot having leaked like a month ago, and that viewership goes up a bit next week.

• Julio says:

I agree. Red Band Society was wayyyyy better than Mysteries of Laura. The acting, writing, and story on RBS is superb.

• Moment says:

When The Mysteries of Laura is moved to the 8pm Wednesday slot the numbers should plummet sharply. The same happened with Believe which had a Voice inflated premiere before being moved to Sunday last season.

2. Sarah T. says:

I know that Red Band Society has been well reviewed but to me, the previews looked awful. As in, saccharine sweet (not in a good way) type of show. That’s part of the reason I passed on it.

• Julio says:

I strongly recommend you give it a chance!!!

• Sara says:

I thought the same thing, and planned on not watching it. However, I did end up watching it and it was so good!!! I am so happy that I didn’t end up missing it. You should at least watch the first episode to get a better feel for the show.

3. Adam says:

I’m wondering if the pilot being on Hulu diluted it…I watched it there and loved it. Completely forgot it was on last night.

4. Moment says:

Fox is really having a hard time and the new season has barely just begun. Such a shame about Red Band Society but perhaps word of mouth may encourage more Nielsens to tune in next week. It would need to climb to at least a 1.5/1.6 to be considered renewable.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I of course relish smart ratings ruminations, but it’s a weeeeeee early to be discussing in any capacity the “renew” word, no?

• Walter Freeman says:

If I were overlord of the television universe, then I’d decree that no new show could be canceled in the first 13 episodes, if only to force networks to better invest themselves in terms of development, production, and promotion, and prevent viewers from refusing to give their time until they knew for certain that a show would survive. I think networks have created a self-reinforcing negative feedback loop by pulling the cancelation trigger so quickly on so many shows in the last few years.

Having said that, I’d like to predict that Mysteries of Laura will be treading water around 1.2 by Thanksgiving.

• johnhelvete says:

I would agree with that except if I was the overlord of TV, shows like Crisis,Hostages, Extant (so called limited series) would do 10 episodes for season 1 and than get 13 episodes in season 2 if the shows are successful.

• Moment says:

Absolutely, It’s just difficult to put a positive spin on these numbers.

• Steve Ungrey says:

I think the fact RBS held its viewership through the hour is a good sign. If viewers dropped to 3-3.5 million at 8:30 then I’d be like “oh, crap”…

• Moment says:

Believe held its viewers too during a The Voice inflated episode, it went from 10.56 million to 6.57 million after being moved timeslots, and then downhill from there. I find it amazing how many people don’t understand the effect of a good lead in and certain timeslots.

• Right!? Especially if it at all performs like The Mindy Project where its able to retain the numbers.

5. Cathy says:

I haven’t watch The Mysteries of Laura yet, but did watch Red Band Society on Hulu. I liked it enough that I think I will watch it again later today. I’ve got the flu, and it definitely made me feel better.

6. Kevin McDermott says:

Red Band Society is a new version of Glee, but without any glee.

7. Rachel says:

Mysteries of Laura is actually surprisingly really good. I think the numbers will continue to surprise.

8. Boiler says:

Unfortunately for Red Band I would think it will go down when other shows premiere next week. Looks like people don’t like FOX

9. hana says:

Much like sci-fi, dying teens only seem to be popular on the big screen and not the small screen…

10. The reason why Red Band did so low was because the Pilot has been out on HULU for the past month. I didn’t need to see yesterday’s episode because I’ve already seen it several times. Now I would be surprised to see next week’s numbers because that should do better

11. Karina says:

I’m really disappointed in the Red Band numbers, I’m really rooting for this show. Loved it when I watched it on Hulu, but perhaps that lead to its slow premier, as so many people had already watched it. Hopefully its next episode is stronger then…

12. wrstlgirl says:

I won’t give up my Survivor or Arrow so Mysteries of Laura doesn’t stand a chance in my house, LOL. I loved Red Band Society, hope the ratings improve.

13. Steven says:

Love Debra Messing, but this show just wan’t good. I watched Red Band Society last month and it was ok, but a bit too sappy for my taste. And the purgatory scenes were just over the top.

14. connerc says:

I was one of the people who stopped watching Mysteries of Laura halfway through. Pretty standard. I watched all of Red Band Society. It was good. I’ll give it another look.

• lkh says:

Agree. Can’t tell you how many texts I got with comments like ‘I’m done’, ‘How much more of this do I have to watch’, etc. The acting wasn’t great, the story a mishmatch of so many other stories. Would be very surprised if it survives. Too bad, some of the actors have really been good otherwise. It’s definitely the writing and direction that went astray. I think it got some viewers because it was one of the few ‘new shows’ last night. Agree–getting rid of Veronica Mars’ dad was the final nail.

15. Theo says:

Red band was good i think the problem is in an hour its going to take a goo month to get the characters developed— or engratiate them with the viewers since we kinda came into the middle of their relationship- I think astros roll and character needs to be more defined as well – cuz hes kinda just there but could be a dynamic piece –

16. ChicagoDan says:

TMoL faced a Nashville (R), dead Extant and really nothing on cable. Next week, no AGT lead-in and full slate of originals on the other four. If it gets over a 1.2 or 1.3, I’ll be surprised. It really can’t be compared to Ironside because that debuted in season after SVU and opposite AHS, CSI and Nashville originals. Will end up crashing like Believe.

17. Alex says:

I didn’t care for RBS. The kids were annoying stereotypes, and the manipulative tone was too much. Mysteries of Laura was much worse, though. Boring, stupid, outdated.

18. KC says:

I’m shocked that Red Band Society even got a 1.3
    Next week it will sink like a rock!

19. Pati says:

from the promos red band society just looks depressing.

• Bartleby says:

There was actually much more humor than I expected and it wasn’t depressing at all. It was more about the kids enjoying their lives than being depressed about being sick or dying. Much better than I expected.

20. Stacey Gallegos says:

Yes, I did watch it last night but I won’t be watching again

21. Delante says:

I honestly forgot Red Band Society was premiering last night and didn’t even remember to record it. Won’t make that mistake again though!

22. jm says:

It is funny that two new shows were from spanish tv-series.
    RBD will do much better when people start to care about the characters. Olivia was great. I liked better than the original.

Laura… well, the spanish pilot was much better, one reason was that it was longer… another the story was more carefully develope. Here it was too much on silly things like Laura wearing a swimming dress… They copied some scenes like the one in the pre-school… and add some silly like Laura and the gym teacher… in the spanish version, the character were the same, but they were more details… and the crime was in a locked room, that made it special… the way the present it, anyone could have done it with none could have done it in the other way. And well, i am quite surprised how good spanish were spoken there… the character from RDB is mexican and his spanish was completely awful… i could not understand a word, an spanish is my mother language… i tough he was speaking portuguese… it was funny that Astro spoke better spanish than the “mexican” guy. :S
    But this time, this show was quite worse than the original… I like Debra and she was quite good, but Laura Lebrel is much better than Laura Diamond… the only character who was better was her chef…and Veronica´s dad is VERONICAs DAD. Always great

Murder, she wrote was 12 seasons… so it should be people who watch. Harry´s Law had a great number of old people who watched it… so there is a group of people who can watch Laura…

I wish luck to both shows.

• Ray says:

“RBD will do much better when people start to care about the characters.”

In today’s day an age, shows don’t have the luxury of waiting for people to develop attachments to the characters. If the pilot is so flawed from the get go that you don’t care about a single character or for the premise, people simply won’t return for a second helping.

23. Damn. I thought (and hoped) Red Band Society would do well. I guess I’ll enjoy it while I can. Weird that tfios’ success didn’t translate.

24. Shelley says:

I give it a D. It didn’t hold my attention. Not very funny either. I won’t watch again

25. I wish Red Band Society had opened higher because I quite enjoyed watching it last night.

26. bj says:

I won’t be watching this one again. I thought maybe at least the police side of it would be less comedic but I found it very melodramatic and over acted. And the “comedy” bordered on slapstick. I’m sure some people will like it but it’s definitely not my cup of tea.

27. susan says:

I really liked the show and for that I will give it a try until they cancel it…

28. paula says:

At the beginning of the show, I thought it was going to be a funny female cop show (which I would love), but then it got too much into her personal life (boring). Some people may enjoy the No.1 & No. 2 jokes with her kids, but it’s not my thing. Too bad the writers couldn’t have written a female Columbo show, as I know Debra Messing could have pulled it off.

29. greysfan says:

Red Band was so good. Such a quality tv show. Why am i not surprised at the ratings? Because as usual Americans have no idea about a great show when they see it. I really hope it does better next week. I do know the pilot was leaked a month ago so that could have something to do with it but then again FOX has been rating poorly with shows of late.

30. jj says:

The first episode of The Mysteries of Laura was quite entertaining so will watch the next few episodes to see how it develops. Didn’t watch Red Band Society since the trailer was uninteresting.

31. LR says:

I enjoyed The Red Band Society enough to watch it again. I turned The Mysteries of Laura off after about 10 minutes did not like it at all.

32. Sam Cro says:

I began to think about this and wonder why it seems all cop shows have young, attractive woman detectives? Enough… Girl power It is becoming such a cliché.

Longmire, Glades, Psych get canceled for this? Last I looked Liam Neeson was in a successful action movie and he is in his sixties.

33. I was excited for Red Band Society, but it reminded me too much of Glee.

34. and that is why you can’t trust, reviews for any show without seeing the show for yourself! I glad that the show did good and that the reviews were not so right! Good luck to all the new shows and the ole but goodies too…..

35. as for RBS I think putting it out earlier was the reason that it didn’t do so good. Now I forgot it was on. So we might have to see what the next weeks numbers (or when in airs again) say. Just because ratings go one way or another just cause one esp doesn’t tell you how a show will go. I have seen shows with low numbers go high and shows with high numbers go low…….only time will tell……my suggestion is if you like one of them support them!

36. bc323 says:

I really like Debra Messing, so I was hoping that her show would be better than the critics were saying it was. Unfortunately, I stopped watching shortly after her sons urinated on each other (it looked like they were doing something worse!), because nothing had captured my attention by that point and I was sick of the little hellions. I don’t like them in person, so I sure don’t want to watch them on TV.

37. The CW should just go away and the decent show “Arrow” can be bidded on by the other successful networks

38. KAY MCGUIRE says:

The Mysteries of Laura had parts that were ok, but the parts about her husband and kids were ridiculous. We don’t need to know she is a slob or kids pee on each other, how does that help the story line your writer need to understand what people want. The Red Band Society was also a big miss for me, it looks like it will be a tear jerker and that is not my preference.