Grey's Anatomy Scoop: Alex and Jo's Latest Threat — Meredith?!

Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers

File this one under “Grey’s Anatomy‘s Triangles We Never Thought We’d See.”

Series creator Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine that, in Season 11, Meredith, of all people — yes, Meredith, that Meredith — is going to throw a monkey wrench into Alex and Jo’s still-nascent romance.

“Jo is going to be horrified to discover how much time Alex is going to be spending with Meredith,” she previews, “and how much time Meredith is going to be spending [at their] house.”

RELATED Shonda Rhimes Teases Grey’s Anatomy Time Jump and a [Spoiler]-Centric Season

And, no doubt, Jo will ask the same question we have: Why is this happening? Why, when the drama returns on Sept. 25, will Alex and Mer be joined at the hip? The answer: Cristina.

“Alex feels responsible for her,” Rhimes explains. “He feels like Cristina didn’t just leave him a seat on the board and the shares, she left him Meredith as well.”

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy End Date Update: Will Season 11 Be the Show’s Last?

And, since Mer will not only be dealing with Cristina’s absence and trouble with Derek but also (eventually) the revelation that she has another half sister, she is going to need a (strictly platonic) shoulder to lean on and an ear to bend.

“The two people she talked to before — her husband and her best friend — are now not available to her,” notes Rhimes. “So she’s looking for someone to talk to. And Alex finds himself in the uncomfortable position of being the recipient of a lot of the stuff that Cristina would have been left listening to — sometimes in very funny ways.

“They’re the last men standing of those original interns,” Rhimes continues. “I wouldn’t say they’re becoming besties. [It’s more that] they’ve always had a very close relationship that didn’t ever need a lot of work because they always had a million other people there. Now, it’s sort of the two of them, and they do become closer.”

1. Sara says:

Yes!!! Bring on the Meredith and Alex friendship.

• bar says:

Right?! It’s one of those little things that is always nice to see, but we rarely get glimpses of their friendship. This will be nice.

2. Stacey says:

So I see Derek going to Washington, and a long distance marriage with Meredith and the kids back in Seattle, and she’s going to need a “new person”, and given she has a long history with Alex and they always have had a fun bond….I love this idea. Added the revelation that she has a new half sister due to her mother and Richard, she’s going to have a interesting season…. I don’t see how Jo could be seriously think she should be worried LOL.

3. Jane says:

Yes!! I’ve been wanting more Mer/Alex for ages! And in my opinion, she is already his best friend, so I don’t quite understand why Shonda says they aren’t gonna be besties..? Anyway, being a huge Jo/Alex fan who has wanted some drama for them since 10B, this is NOT what I wanted as drama. They will probably break up at some point for some time because all couples do, but omg if they make Jo bitch about Meredith and make Meredith responsible for a Jolex fight and break up, I will be so pissed! I wanted Jo and Mer to bond, both being very important to Alex, not the opposite.

• Laura says:

I love Mer and Alex. They’re like low maintenance friends but have a huge support of one another. It seems natural. I do however, like Alex with Jo. He’s grown up SO MUCH since the series started and he deserves someone grown up too. I was hoping it would be Jo, but we’ll see. He deserves someone good in his (love) life.

4. GL says:

I have always liked the Mer/Alex friendship more than the Mer/Cristina, so this is amazing! Can’t wait for all the Meredith and Alex.

5. Jenny says:

This is too cute! Can’t wait to see these Meredith Alex interactions!

6. Jessica says:

Yayyyyy!! I love Meredith and Alex’s friendship so much. Ellen and Justin have so much chemistry together and their scenes are always so good.

But this also breaks my heart cause it confirms that Derek will leave to DC.

7. Kat says:

If this relationship becomes more than platonic, I will be so done with the show. I feel like they’re running out of storylines and have jumped the shark way too many times, but if Shonda ever let Mer and Alex hook up, it’ll officially be endgame for Grey’s. They should’ve ended it five seasons ago anyway – when Mer and Der were the real focus of the show, not some annoying, puny new interns that people don’t even care about at all.

• the girl says:

I don’t believe for a second that this will go in any direction that is even remotely romantic. But like others I am excited to see their friendship deepen because it has always been there, and it has always been strong, even though it has constantly been placed on the back-burner. It is the natural thing, for Meredith to turn to the person who she’s known the longest, someone who lived in her house (and now owns the house), someone who started at the hospital same time as her, they share so much in the way of history and experiences. Plus, Alex is awesome.

• I think that the show has done a great job of NOT jumping the shark. Yes, the drama isn’t always compelling as it used to be and the chemistry between players has waxed and waned a bit, but they haven’t don’t anything so egregious that I’d say they jumped the shark. It’s still a pleasant drama.

• Kendall says:

Meredith and Alex would never go there. That makes about as much sense as George and Izz- wait a minute…

No, I’m sure they won’t. It would just be wrong.

8. Dominique says:

awesome, i can’t wait! i’ve always loved their friendship so mcuh, and quite frankly, we haven’t seen nearly enough of it the last two seasons. i’m gonna enjoy this so much.

9. abz says:

YES!! I love this. Meredith and Alex’s friendship is one I’ve always wanted to see more of on the show. Could care less about Jo. :)

10. Michael says:

I actually really like this idea. Kill off Jo. She’s such a bad Izzie 2.0

• Jess says:

Jo is not an Izzie 2.0, stop writing that kind of crap. Her character is very different from Izzie’s, she’s a lot darker even though you don’t see it all the time because she isn’t as grumpy as Alex. And as far as I recall she hasn’t stolen a heart for her patient fiance or masturbated to hallucinations of him. Hell, she also didn’t tell Alex what a crappy person he was and left him on a note, accusing him of getting her fired. And do you see her baking whenever she’s upset? Cos I don’t. Jo is also not as involved in her patients as Izzie was, she’s more like Meredith in that point. Only because she is dating Alex now doesn’t mean she is a bad Izzie replacement. Izzie left 5 seasons ago, Alex falling for Jo had nothing to do with Izzie. Watch the show carefully before you make comments like that.

• Matthew S. Plummer says:

PREACH! When you people stop comparing two characters that have nothing in common besides working on the same hospital and dating the same man? I, for once, I’m happy that they are very different, because I always hated Izzie.

• Lee says:

Ugh… Jo is not izzie 2.0!!! Do not insult izzie !!!

11. THANK YOU. I’ve been wanting more Meredith & Alex since like forever. I’ve always loved their friendship more than Meredith and Cristina’s. So, I’m glad that if Mer has to be “joint at the hip” to anyone other than her husband, it’s Alex. I seriously LOL that Jo would even consider being jealous. I mean, come on, Meredith is like his sister.

12. Holly says:

Even more opportunity for girly boy Alex to be written like a woman to satisfy another of Shonda’s silly world. All the more reason to record the show and FF through this nonsense.

13. JJM says:

I’ve always felt that Alex was Meredith’s best friend from at least season three more than she was with George or Izzie. I know Cristina is her person and she bonded with Callie a lot last season, but Alex is and has always been her brother in my eyes.

• Nene says:

So true…. However, I would say season 2… Maybe the episode when her mother comes into the hospital… I know the thanksgiving for sure… They could tell other things that they couldn’t tell the others…

14. Cíntia Mara says:

I’m always up for more Alex/Mer friendship. And I’m positive that this won’t cause any real troubles with Jo, they’ll just need a little time to adjust.

15. Jackie says:

Love them as best friends – Jo has nothing to worry about. Ever since they bonded over feeling too dark and twisty to attend Thanksgiving I have loved them together. They were both problem kids and kind of grew up together in the hospital – they are the last two left of the original core so it makes sense they’d work out things together.

16. delfiteblu says:

NO! Alex deserves to be happy now that he has finally found someone he REALLY loves. It sounds like Meredith is going to be the same old petulant, whiny person she used to be without Derek (which I couldn’t hate MORE) but Alex and Jo deserve to be happy together. How much of the season will it take for Meredity to realize that????

• Matthew S. Plummer says:

Are we watching the same show? The Meredith I know is the person who cared most about Alex since the beginning of the show – except for Jo now, of course, but she’s only around for two seasons. They may not have as many scenes together like Meredith and Cristina, but they have such a strong connection, I couldn’t ever imagine her doing anything to put his happiness in risk. Let’s not forget that she was the one who helped him realise that he had feelings for Jo, back in the middle of season 9. Also, she encouraged him to not give up on Jo on 9.23 and encouraged Jo to stick with him when he didn’t want to talk to her on 10.07. And she got that love contract on 10B, so they wouldn’t have to break the hospital rules to be together.

• delfiteblu says:

I love Meredith but she’s no angel. She slept with George, remember? And I’m not accusing her of breaking Alex and Jo UP – I just don’t want ANYthing to break them up. Meredith is 1100% Derek’s – I trust her. But she does get dark and twisty…….

• Sara says:

She slept with George like 9 seasons ago during her dark days.. and he took advantage of her. Many characters did much terrible things than her.

Plus the article said MerAlex FRIENDSHIP if Jo is jealous over it. That is only on her.

• tigermomma says:

Yes. Mer was the one who first stepped up, when Alex found out he had failed part of his boards, and she helped him study. Not only that, but she got all the other interns to help him study, even when Izzie was rightfully pissed at him for sleeping with SyphNurse Olivia and George was rightfully pissed at him for the same reason.

Alex & Mer have always had that sibling vibe for me, part caring and part competitive. Calling each other on their crap and having each others back. I see Alex feeling that Cristina has passed a very important torch to him, and that he will make sure that Mer is okay, while Der & Cristina aren’t around to bolster her…especially after she learns about her new 1/2 sister (that was a great plot twist, after all these years, kudos to Shonda!).

• Jessica says:

LMAO what a ridiculous comment, it’s not like Meredith will still Alex away, they are just friends, and with everything going on in her life of course she’s going to turn to Alex.. like he did turn to her when things were crappy for him. It’s life and it’s what friends do to each other.

How much of the season will it take for Meredity to realize that?? lol xD

17. Cindy says:

YES!! I’ve been missing the Alex/Meredith friendship. I’ve recently binge-watched the first six seasons and their dynamic was always good. Remember Mer’s What If? when she was engaged to Alex?

18. anthony says:

That makes sense.

19. Kendall says:

Let me guess, Meredith is going to jump into bed with them. I’ll laugh.

20. I’ve been shipping them since ages. and somehow I’m okay with them being friends but I’m 100% sure Mer and Alex will be the only ones who are going to stay until the very end of Grey’s

21. ggny says:

See this makes sense. I always like Alex’s and Meredith’s friendship more then any other on the show

22. Matthew S. Plummer says:

I think this is going to be interesting. Alex/Jo is my favorite relationship on the show and Alex/Mer is my favorite friendship, I can’t wait to see their dinamic now that Cristina isn’t around, and how this can affect his relationship with Jo. She may be upset at the beginning, but I don’t think it would be a big problem, because she knows that Meredith is a very important person on his life.

And I have to say that I’m happy that Meredith will cry on his shoulders. I saw people talking about the possibility of Callie or Amelia being her new best friend, but she already have a best friend besides Cristina. I’m happy that, unlike many of Grey’s fans, Shonda doesn’t ignore Alex and the strong bond they always had.

23. Ange says:

I think it is sort of cool especially since they are the only two original interns left.

24. cycworker says:

I love this idea. I’ve always liked the Alex/Meredith friendship and I didn’t like the relationships between those original characters becoming so backburnered in recent years. I think this move makes perfect sense.

I’ll admit I do not like the actress playing Jo in this role. I think she’s a decent actress who is hopelessly miscast. So if this twist leads to them breaking up permanently, I’m good with that. I certainly do NOT want anything romantic or sexual between Meredith & Alex. But I would LOVE it if they explored the potential chemistry between Caterina Scorsone and Justin Chambers, as opposed to just immediately throwing Amelia at Owen. Let’s see which of those two actors is truly the best match for her.

• megan shaw says:

I totally disagree with you. Camilla Luddington was not miscast! She is the perfect actress for the role. And Amelia and Alex WILL NEVER be together! ! Like I said, I am a hardcore Jolex shipper and I will gouge my eyeballs out and shove them in my ears if Alex and Amelia land up dating. Alex and Amelia-horrendous idea! And NEVER GONNA HAPPEN! !

25. Tracy says:

“and how much time Meredith is going to be spending [at their] house.” How much time could she really spend there since she has 2 young children? Wasn’t one of them being home with their children one of the major issues between she and Derek last season?

26. Pedro says:

I LOVE this development.

27. Mandy says:

Pumped for this. Cristina and Meredith have been looking after Alex for years. Now that they are the last two standing, this makes perfect sense.

28. Luli says:

I like the idea, but I just miss Cristina….

29. Fernanda says:

Without Cristina, Alex could be the new person for Meredith, but I don’t think the writers build an arc with them as a romantic couple as they did in the alternate reality that we saw a few seasons ago. The new dynamic will be with the new sister for Meredith

30. TinLV says:

I think her new person should be Jackson.. they have a lot in common because of his grandfather and her mother being famous doctors and the pressure that brings. They bonded when his overbearing grandfather, Harper Avery, came to Seattle Grace as a patient back in season 6 (or was it 5 ?) and I liked their interaction.. I do think Alex is kind of like the younger brother Meredith never had, though…

31. sarah j says:

I am all about the Meredith and Alex friendship!

32. Amanda guilbeau says:

I am so excited and can’t wait to see what will happen between Derrick and mer?!?! I also can’t wait to see how mer will deal with not having yang around?!? I’m excited and nervous all at the same time!!!

Does anyone know if they will be doing another spin off like they did with Allison with private practice with yang??? I hope so!!

33. Liesl says:

I just better not end up in a freaking affair, because THAT will be the last straw for me with this show!

34. J says:

Ok that is NOT a love triangle. Jeez, give me a freakin heart attack. Yes, Meredith+Alex brotp is good times.

35. Kasey says:

Yay! I love this! I think this will bring out Jo’s dark, violent side and we will find out what really happened to Chest Pecwell. I can’t wait to see how this plays out!

36. Nancy says:

Um what about her sister in law? They seem to like each other. Why can’t they confide in each other? I like Alex I do. But really? Like she is a threat to Jo? This is so pathetic it’s not funny.

37. Liz says:

Please bring back Izzie. Izzie and Alex are perfect for each other.

• Christine G. Gonzalez says:

So perfect that she never trusted him, she would choose a ghost over him and she left him because she misunderstood something and didn’t even talked to him first. Yes, what a great couple!

• megan shaw says:

Yes bring back Izzie so that everyone can watch her get hit by a bus! That would be awesome and tots hilarious!

38. I myself wish they would just brough back izzy and made he prego with Alex baby that would be more fun ! Mer would have had someone to have girl time with and still have the drama with Alex !!

• megan shaw says:

They’re never gonna bring izzie back. But if they do, and she doesnt get hit by a bus, which should have happened in the first place, then I will never ever watch the show again. Izzie totally clipped Alex’s wings and prevented him from flying. Alex has improved so much since she left and is a much better person when he’s with Jo.

39. Tony Richardson says:

O.m.l I can not wait for season 11 to come so very exciting.

40. Makailey Cookis says:

All sounds amazing!! Can September come sooner please??!

41. khadi says:

I think that it was quite obvious that something like this would happen ! Since her Person is gone and her marriage is not going well. She needs a shoulder to cry on so Alex is the only one capable of uderstanding and helping here. However I hope it doesn’t lead them on cheating on the people they love. It should juste be about friendship.

42. Louie says:

Yes. I love this! They’ve always had a great (not in your face) relationship. Excited to see this happen. =D

43. delfiteblu says:

It’s fascinating to me how many people are jumping on this alex/mer bff bandwagon when two months ago we were in tears over Christina leaving. I have NEVER seen Alex as Meredith’s “best” friend – I’ve never seen him as more than the ‘good” friends she is with the others, other than Christina. I do NOT see them becoming each other’s PERSON – Alex isn’t wired that way. He’s a good man, but he’s going to be torn now about his seat on the board and his shares v. Jo. Snuggling up to Mer isn’t going to help that situation.

• Louie says:

I politely disagree. Mer has always been pretty protective of her people. Obviously Yang was her person which is a big difference than her peeps and her husband, but still. Her Peeps were like a 2 (Karev, Stevens, O’Malley, Callie (although that one took a while), Bailey and the Chief), where Yang and Shepherd were a collective 1. If you remember however, she always had a closer relationship with Karev than she did with Izzie and George. Those two always had each other, but Mer was always kind of protective of Alex and watched out for him and called him out on his crap. Alex always had a little brother type bond with Mer too. I think the article points out that although Alex and Jo are a thing, Mer will start to become more prominent in his life, which may shake things up depending. It would be the jealous girlfriend of the girl friend. lol. I’m curious to see how it plays out, but excited to see the dynamic change. =D

• tigermomma says:

Yup. Alex and Mer share that inside dark & twisty ‘thing’. Even when life is great, ‘dark & twisty’ is always just around the corner.

44. cherie says:

aussie viewer here can’t wait for the new season sounds interesting :) great show by the way one of my favourites.is there anyway i can get autographs please ty

45. Keila says:

I love greys anatomy but it’s never going to be the same without Christiana. But I’m looking foreword to this new season coming up to see how Meredith is going to feel. I love Alex and I feel like this is going to a great season for the both

46. alex says:

MEREDITH/ALEX FRIENDSHIP YESYESYESYES

47. Luanne McCard Wheless says:

I must have missed something about Meredith having another half sibling. Was that on end of last season? I was just focused on Cristina leaving. I’ve missed something. Who is the half sibling? And please do not let this year be the last….I have too many sentimental memories watching this show with “my person” ~ who is no longer with me!!!

48. Poppy says:

Predictable move. Duh hullooooo . .
    I wanna see skype or facetime Cristina at some point this season though. Makes sense in this modern world, right?