Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Castle, NCIS, Criminal Minds, POI, TVD, S.H.I.E.L.D., Supernatural and More

Arrow Season 3 LaurelIs Arrow‘s Laurel about to hit the storyline bull’s-eye? Will Ward still vex the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? What’s the skinny on NCIS‘ DiNozzo? Is a Criminal mind having trouble coping? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

RELATED Save the Dates! 50+ July Premieres and Finales

Can we have any scoop on Laurel Lance’s storyline for Arrow Season 3? –Anita
Oh yes, you can. We spoke with exec producer Marc Guggenheim at a Thursday night CW soiree, where he professed, “One of the things we’re most excited about is Laurel’s story. Everything that we’ve been gearing up for, for the last 46 episodes, will come to fruition” — possibly including that passing of a baton/leather jacket in the season finale. As the season opens, “She’s still in the DA’s office,” Guggenheim added, “and there will be some interactions with a new character that we haven’t announced yet…. Her fans will be really, really happy.”

Are we going to learn anything about Felicity’s past on this season of Arrow? Like possibly who her father is? –Becca
As Felicity/EBR’s fans very well know, “We have had a backstory for her for over a year now that we keep saying, ‘This is the episode where we’re going to do it,’ and we don’t,” Guggenheim shared. “But this is the year we’re going to do it. That script is getting worked on as we speak.”

RELATED Arrow EP Teases Season 3’s Big Bad, a Big ‘Date,’ Non-Oliver Flashbacks

Can you give us a hint on how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Ward will find himself working alongside the people he betrayed? –Rachel
“Alongside” is perhaps an optimistic way of viewing things! As exec producer Maurissa Tancharoen reminds, “He did very bad things” toward the close of Season 1. That said, “He’s in our custody now, and he’s a great villain to have around.” And he WILL be around. “Ward is definitely in the mix” as Season 2 opens, says EP Jed Whedon. “Brett [Dalton] has done a great job, and we love who Ward has become.”

With Michael Weatherly having gotten in such good shape this summer for his triathlon, will this be addressed for NCIS‘ DiNozzo? –Joni
The actor’s lean, mean physique apparently will help Tony’s game. Show boss Gary Glasberg tells us he’s in the “formative stages” of crafting a new love interest for Tony, someone that NCIS’ most eligible agent (G Callen excepted) will meet through a case. “It’s time for Tony to continue to grow a little bit,” says Glasberg. “He went through a lot last year emotionally and tried to deal with Ziva’s departure as he could. And it’s time” for someone new. “We’ll be mature about it and handle it properly, and Michael’s excited about it.”

Any scoop about Supernatural, please? –6Spike
Fresh from TCA, show boss Jeremy Carver tells us that Episode 5, the series’ 200th, will be titled “Fan Fiction,” a meta bit of fun written by Robbie Thompson.

RELATED Supernatural Stars, Boss Drop Season 10 Spoilers, Talk Series’ Endless Future

Got anything on Criminal Minds’ Garcia? –Kay
Early this season, we will find out that Garcia has been struggling with shooting the nurse that tried to kill Dr. Reid in the season finale. Her solution: a trip to Texas to try to make things right. Bonus scoop: In addition to the pair of episodes Matthew Gray Gubler is helming this coming season, Joe Mantegna and Thomas Gibson also are returning to the director’s chair.

Got any Castle scoop? Like, guest cast or who’s writing 7×02? –Sandra
On the casting front, you probably have seen this fresh bit of scoop. As for the writer of Episode 2, which involves the murder of a toy mogul, that’d be a gentleman named Andrew W. Marlowe. (IOW, the premiere isn’t a two-parter per se.)

Greetings from Germany! You talked to Castle‘s Andrew Marlowe and David Amann. Soooo, is there anything else they shared about the new season in their interview? –Mandy
Greetings from America! Your new showrunner Amann teased “a really fun episode,” somewhere in the first four of the season, “that deals with what seems to be an invisible killer — and the characters take a lot of pleasure in that.”

RELATED Castle EPs Talk Finale Twist: ‘Fans Are Going to Be Happy It Wasn’t a Dream’

I need something on Person of Interest — this hiatus is killing me! –Bradley
The season premiere – which airs Sept. 23 and picks up about six weeks after the finale – is titled “Panopticon.” (I’ll sit here while you Google that….) OK, are you back? Exec producer Greg Plageman also told us that viewers will be “pleasantly surprised” by who Mad Men’s Cara Buono is playing, only adding that her character does not work for Decima.

What coping mechanisms will Elena from The Vampire Diaries be using to deal with the fact she lost Damon (seemingly) forever? –Ana
It sounds like she’ll be burying her nose in the books, of the medical stripe. As indicated by a flurry of recent castings – and likely a pure coincidence now that TVD has Grey’s Anatomy as a time slot rival — “When we come back, we’ll see that Elena is actively pursuing a degree in pre-med,” show boss Julie Plec told us. “She’s a smart girl, and Elena’s father was a doctor, so she’s trying to figure out how to help people and save people, just as her family did.” And merely as an added bonus, “We’ll meet some hot young pre-med guys and sexy doctors” as she does so.

I know it’s midseason and all, but is there any casting news for The Following yet? – Jill
As a matter of fact, casting calls have just gone out for the series regular role of Gwen, an ER doctor and single mom who’s sophisticated and calm on the outside, but can “cut loose” as needed. (Perhaps a new honey for Ryan?) The killer drama is also filling the recurring role of a charming husband and dad who’s got — wait for it – a dark side, one he’s been hiding his whole life.

RELATED TNT Renews Major Crimes and Last Ship; Falling Skies Gets Final Season

In honor of The Last Ship’s renewal, how about some scoop for us? –Teena
After chatting with Titus Welliver about his Amazon series Bosch, I sought the 411 on his role in The Last Ship’s final two episodes. “He’s a former military/law enforcement guy who’s trying to secure areas on land from the pandemic, and things are not what they seem with this character,” he shared. “What appears to be obvious is not so.” Fun fact: The TNT drama drop-by reunited the erstwhile Man in Black with Lost director Jack Bender, “which was a great treat,” he said.

Can you confirm/deny rumours that Rookie Blue Season 5 is only 11 episodes? –Etain

You never share scoops on Unforgettable. How about any little something for this loyal fan? –Debbie
You will never guess who shows up in the season finale.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite summer or fall show, email InsideLine@tvline.com! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman and Andy Swift)

1. MaggieH says:

Sorry, but I am not interested in a new love interest for Tony. I struggled through watching last season. Between this, and the awful new girl, I’m done. It was a nice run.

• April says:

I’m interested. At least no one is interested with pairing him with the “awful new girl” as they have been with Kate (I LOVED them together) and Ziva (meh). I want to see someone fun for him because he always seems to fall for these sad, serious people.

• VeeGee says:

The new girl has no connection with any of the characters, least of all Tony.

• Agreed! The new girl has no connections to anyone, really. Not sure why she is still there.

• RB says:

No idea why CBS has not yanked the plug on her contract.

• suzyku says:

the new girl isn’t awful however they do need to give us more background on her and I’m sorry they made her “married” which leaves no room for romance with some character on the show.

• VeeGee says:

I don’t care how much background they give her, she is will still be dull as a wet dishrag. Spare us the background, I already get enough sleep at night.

• Cheryl Gress says:

Agree 100% Marla.

• Gabi says:

I think there has to be some credence to the theory of some that she is related to someone because I find no other possible explanation for why a flop character played by such a bad actress is coming back for a second season.

• Angela says:

I still find it amusing that people, be they pro-shipping or anti-shipping, honestly believe that a character being married on a show automatically indicates that there’s no chance whatsoever for them to get into a romantic relationship with another character. ‘Cause it’s not like people can’t/don’t/won’t have affairs or anything, or fans won’t ship people regardless of whether or not they’re already in relationships, right?
            Mind, I too doubt this show would go that route, and I’m all for marriage being treated like the respectable lifetime commitment it should be. But still…when it comes to TV in general, the fact remains that being married doesn’t mean squat a lot of the time when it comes to relationship storylines.

• TullaT says:

Bishop will never be romantically involved with any other characters, and it has nothing to do with being married. She has zero connection with anyone. If she was single, nothing would change. She is a cold, dead fish.

• Angela says:

I was mainly speaking in a general sense overall with that-the discussion about her just sparked that comment.
            Though, that said, we get it, you don’t like her.

• Well, the question is, will this ‘new love interest’ have any connections with Tony?

• Vic says:

I hope they don’t go looking too far for Tony’s new love interest. I’ve been secretly rooting for Tony and Leila since “Newborn King.” It would nicely complete Gibbs’ family, and if anything could bring Mike Franks back from the dead, that would do it.

• VeeGee says:

Tony is already so goofy, I think he actually is best paired with someone serious.

• Q says:

Agree, make him gay, and problem is solved.
          Pair him with Dorneget, or Adam (Ziva’s coworker), and all Tiva fans will be quit forever.
          And don’t forget kill Ziva, that is important for future.
          No, I am not kidding!
          S12E02 have name “KIll the Messenger” that is best chance for kill Ziva.
          Then kill Bishop, and give her place to agent Borin.

• John NYC says:

Outside of the team is always better (as shown by both McGee and Gibbs with his happy exotic car ride closing scenes) and I welcomed Bishop being married. She’s a great addition to the team in that role TPTB appear to prefer of having someone new to show being educated in all things NCIS and Gibbs.

I could have gone with a Salli Elise Richardson-Whitfield more experienced “newbie” but Emily is doing a fine job and I expect we’ll get better glimpses of her husband as time goes by: they’ve always been sparse on the private lives of the team, Ducky’s mother etc. unless very involved in an arc such as Tony’s Jeanne Benoit (Scottie Thompson)

• Larc says:

Emily might do a good job with Bishop if she could act, but she can’t. The writers are evidently aware of that since they seem to minimize her involvement in strategic scenes as much as possible.

• TullaT says:

She can’t act and can’t do stunts. Her “fight” scenes are pure comedy. The bad guys have to slam themselves into walls for her to take them down.

• leia says:

gee can you act? I’ve got you babe was a hoot

• TullaT says:

I can’t act worth a damn. I don’t try. I’m paid good money to do the job I”m good at. If I was no good at it, I’d get fired pronto.

• Agree John, outside the team and mostly offscreen works so much better as far as pairing up characters.
          I’m looking forward to seeing Ellie next season
          and learning a little more about her.

• StevenR says:

I agree with both you and John. I do get so tired of the same select few who pop up with their “we hate Bishop” chant, over and over, ad nauseam. We get it kids, you don’t like her. However, others do, so get a grip, get a life and get over it.

• I’ve never wanted to see inter-teammate romance onscreen. It’s not realistic for members of the same field team to be allowed to date, Plus, it makes the show about the relationships. I want the show to be about the entire team and about NCIS. I’m OK with characters having relationships outside of the team, ,yet still don’t want the whole show about them. I do like occasional mentions or glimpses of the outside relationships (like with Jeanne, and with McGee & Delilah and with Marty and Abby back in S3-4). I like some reminder that the team has outside lives.

• kath says:

I think it’s exactly because none of the main characters are allowed to have personal lives that makes fans obsess about them. If Ziva or Tony had been in a good relationship, there wouldn’t have been as much fuss about Tiva.

• Gabi says:

Marriage does not mean they will never try to set her up romantically with anyone. This is TV and anything could happen. The only reason that she will never have a romantic relationship with anyone is that the actress is a dead fish and has no chemistry with anyone there but it is certainly not because the character is married.

• Zavit says:

I hope there is an acccident a terrorist attack and send Bishop to heaven then I will be back to watch NCIS again.

• I agree. I like when they leave us little breadcrumbs about the team members’ personal lives.

• RB says:

The chemistry with Ziva is not replaceable. Definitely would watch if cote was back as Ziva otherwise it is just blah blah blah.

• RB says:

Same here…Season 11 was bad.

• JimC says:

Move along then. There are millions still watching….you won’t be missed.

• ZB says:

I agree 100% JimC!! Anyone who says the new girl isn’t interesting is obviously a bit on the shallow side, unable to let a character develop naturally, instead of slam-bam-thank you, ma’am! I’ve watched it from the beginning, and I’ve seen characters come and go. I really loved Ziva, and I thought Kate was alright.It’s the way of the world and life, that not everyone is going to like everything. Just roll with it, ok? Accept what happens, and try to enjoy it.*S*

• Joni says:

ZB,
          Funny you mention “slam-bam-thank you, ma’am” since Michael’s pet name for Emily is “Wam-Bam Wickersham”. Source: Michael’s Twitter timeline.

• I like Bishop. I immediately felt as though she fits right in. She’s different from any other team member they’re had and I like that. It’s nice to see the guys getting to mentor a probationary agent, especially one who is respectful of her teammates and of chain-of-command and who is very smart yet also willing and eager to continue to learn. I’m loving the team dynamic this past season and am eagerly anticipating S12.

• TullaT says:

An extremely rude and demeaning nickname. I wonder if she gets it.

• Cheryl Gress says:

Same here. The only love interest I would see fjor Tony is Ziva.

• John NYC says:

Except TONY and ZIVA didn’t see it that way. Paris? One and they didn’t ever go there again…

Apparently neither was impressed; so they moved on.

• If Tony and Ziva weren’t so impressed…..why share that kiss on the tarmac then???? And don’t start on Tony leaving Ziva in Israeli, that’s a subject for another time.

• TullaT says:

John NYC is so fond of this phrase that he repeats it hundreds of times. spoiler: it’s not that clever.

• kath says:

I hope Michael Weatherly enjoys the storyline but I’m not interested either.

They sold me on Tony/Ziva in their first episodes, and then they limped along for the next eight years, and then nothing. I don’t trust the show to ever put it’s characters into a long-term viable relationship, unless they’re peripheral like Jimmy or Vance, so mostly I feel sorry for the actress playing Tony’s new love interest.

• John NYC says:

And they closed Tony/Ziva in Paris. That was quite a long time ago…

• leia says:

then you are an easy sell because their intent in the Bellisario years was to never sell TIVA as a love interest. IN fact it wasn’t tiva it was just an intro to a new character who was complicated. And wow was and is she.

• VeeGee says:

She was specifically hired by Bellisario because he liked her chemistry with DiNozzo. If you didn’t get that from her first season, I can’t help you.

• I don’t understand at all how she was cast. She is boring, boring, boring! Her idiosyncrasies aren’t cute or funny or endearing. I don’t have any interest in learning more about her husband or her back story, etc…She just needs to go but I don’t see that happening, unfortunately!

• Erin says:

Yeah I’m less than impressed with that scoop. I was hoping for more action, more under cover but seems whilst diluting the ncis pool they’ve handed that over to la where we just get stuck with romance, becoming more and more like greys anatomy. Paint by numbers cases where we can guess the criminal in the first quarter and romantic entanglements. Where are the awesome emotionally and actioned charged episodes. Most recent have fallen flat minus the goodbye to the wonderful Ralph Waite. Did anyone enjoy that Parsa storyline? I’ll still watch due to my past adoration of the show and characters that I love, but it is definitely no longer must see.

• BTM says:

I enjoy the awful new girl, and I’m glad they have her married from the start.

• Kendall says:

I remember thinking Tony had an interesting vibe with that chaplain from a few seasons back who began to help him get over his fear of children. I was surprised she never appeared again.

• J.L. Hudson says:

Why must there be a new romance for Tony? What about McGee? Surely there’s a lass somewhere who could turn both their heads and stir a little rivalry between them. That would surely be better than “the awful new girl.”

• Jerri says:

You poor thing. Bless you for struggling through the last season of a tv show you no longer enjoy or like because one actress left the show on her own accord.

• I don’t get why people who claim they never watch the show anymore bother spending so much time on article comments complaining about a show they swear they don’t even watch. When I get tired of a show, I stop watching and move on. I hated what they did with L&O: Criminal Intent when they “rebooted” it, so I just stopped watching. I didn’t send hate mail to the cast and crew, insult other fans, and threaten and bash the cast online. If it’s stressing people out so badly, why continue to participate?

2. “some new interactions with a new character” ? New love interest for Laurel ?

• Mehvash says:

There was an interview with Berlanti or kreisberg where they revealed that Laurel would be getting a new love interest this year. the interview was not on this site.

• ZmaX says:

well they mentioned that “Her fans will be really, really happy” so im guessing it has to do with her really stepping up and becoming black canary.

The best idea I have is that they’ll be introducing Wildcat aka Ted Grant, a world class boxer who trained Black Canary. Fans have been questioning how good of a fighter Laurel could be compared to Sarah who had actually been a part of the league of assassins for years. So really starting her crime fighting journey now and developing laurels skills is important

• John NYC says:

From comments Katie Cassidy Tweeted she’s been training pretty hard since last summer so that could easily be connected to a long game the writers have laid out. Or her deciding simply to buff up, who knows?

• dude says:

They’ve shown several times throughout the past two seasons that she’s a skilled fighter. Not superhero good but she can hold her own against men so I’d love it if she got someone like that to train her and make her transition feel earned. That’s a good idea.

• Mel says:

I don’t want to see Laurel doing anything.

• im not thinking a new love interest, im thinking a new trainer

• suzyku says:

frankly I wish they would get rid of Laurel, she’s the weakest link, most uninteresting, blah character on the show!

• CC says:

The most blah character on the show is felicity

• Cyn Cromarty says:

Ha haha ha hahaha that is just so funny…

• Delena forever says:

I could not agree more felicity has no point being on this show maybe they should move her to the flash or another show bcuz lately she is seriously bumming me out!( I swear to god I do not mean to be offensive (if you do find it offensive))

• Ella says:

Felicity was a great character…until they turned her into a lovesick, whiny romantic interest.

• Sarah says:

She is the weakest link on the show but the writers need to take steps to fix that. She needs a purpose beyond the woman that Oliver screwed around on. If they finally stopped with the Oliver/Laurel stuff and made Laurel into her own fierce character, she wouldn’t be wasted. It’s all the Oliver stuff that drags her down. They’ve outgrown each other and both characters need to move on.

• I sure as hell hope that she’s not the new Canary. They have something fantastic going on with Caity Lotz, I seriously doubt anyone could beat that. Laurel’s trajectory in S1 >>>>>> whatever she did in S2 minus the finale (which had a hint of improvement).

• Lizzie says:

Yup! The whole Oliver thing just doesn’t seem to happen. Katie Cassidy I’ll be it an ok actress just got dealt a sucky deal of Emily Beck-Richards & Katie Lotz just having better chemistry with Amell. Even though I dislike when she enters the Arrow cave I think she would be much more accepted if she wasn’t all bossy and slowly comes in. OR we can keep Katie Lotz the whole series and in the finally she dies and bam Laurel becomes the Canary without us actually having to experience it lol.

3. ScrubsGuy says:

Hurray for PoI scoop!

Panopticon (from Wikipedia): The Panopticon is a type of institutional building designed by the English philosopher and social theorist Jeremy Bentham in the late 18th century. The concept of the design is to allow a single watchman to observe (-opticon) all (pan-) inmates of an institution without the inmates being able to tell whether or not they are being watched. Although it is physically impossible for the single watchman to observe all cells at once, the fact that the inmates cannot know when they are being watched means that all inmates must act as though they are watched at all times, effectively controlling their own behaviour constantly. The name is also a reference to Panoptes from Greek mythology; he was a giant with a hundred eyes and thus was known to be a very effective watchman.

PoI really nails those episode titles.

• D says:

PERSON OF INTEREST is an excellent television show. Very strong writing, and top-notch casting (particularly Jim Caviezel as Mr. Reese; coincidentally, his new film When The Game Stands Tall hits cinemas 22 August). Can anyone fill me on how he was cast for the role on the show?

• lll says:

As far as I know, the producers wrote John Reese with him in mind. Caviezel just happened to be available at the time to say “yes” to the producers. A stroke of luck that worked out well for them.

• enuff said says:

Didn’t Finch use the name Jeremy Bentham in an episode?

• me2 says:

POI is the best written show on network tv (I think it’s up there with the cable dramas and deserved an Emmy nod for at least writing) and has the best cast of just about any show out there. I would like see old friends Elias and Scarface return (although Enrico Colantonio has a show airing on CTV in Canada, so I don’t know if that would work) at some point…their last scene together taking care of Simmons was unforgettable and one of the best endings to any episode of any show, ever.

4. VeeGee says:

When I heard Tony was going to “mature”, I thought that meant he would act less stupid, and maybe do something a little different in his job. Not yet another woman. The only woman I ever want to see him with is Ziva.

5. Well, I hope this ‘new love interest’ connects with the audience…cause Tony’s past love interests most certainly didn’t, except for Ziva and that came too late for the fans.

• VeeGee says:

Does Glasberg really expect to find someone with the same chemistry he had with Cote de Pablo? good luck.

• Gabi says:

No way will anyone ever have the same chemistry with Michael Weatherly as Cote de Pablo. Knowing Glasberg pervhant for casting she will probably have the same chemistry with Tony as Bishop has with everyone on the team. Meaning none at all.

• kath says:

He shouldn’t want the same chemistry because shippers would only be disappointed yet again.

I wonder if they had actually done a Tony/Ziva relationship if Cote de Pablo would have left. The constant treading water in terms of both professional and personal relationships wore me down. How much worse did it have to be for the actors?

6. Nate says:

Laurel bashing starts. …… NOW

• wonderwall says:

whooops, sorry to disappoint, Nate. I see minimal to no laurel bashing here :p

• Thomas says:

Honestly, people would have to care about her for that to happen and I think there has been far too much good news about other characters that take priority. I hope with all the Felicity news coming out, that this is an indicator as to where the weight of the show will be.

I am here for Team Arrow, Oliver, Felicity, Diggle and now Roy. Give us more of these guys and the action and they can’t go wrong.

Very happy to hear that Felicity is finally getting some major backstory, and I’m hoping for some excellent flashbacks for all of them.

• Ella says:

Think you just stepped on your own point there, dear.

• Mikael says:

I think Laurel is far better than Roy, who only has one expression. Thea got far more interesting the moment she left him- I can’t wait to see her transformation. Laurel was only ok, but she needed better writing. Katie is not good at playing the damsel-type. Hopefully she begins training. Obviously she can’t become BC overnight and I don’t want her too; Caity Lotz was just too good to replace her so quickly. But for me, Roy is the weak link. They should have picked an actor based on his ability to act instead of going by how hot he is.

• Linda P says:

Interesting how Laurel fans complain about “Laurel bashing” but they don’t see how much they bash Felicity. I’m fine with a Laurel character, but not the lousy acting. Hopefully there really is some training going on this summer.

• Cee says:

Yeah, they started doing some interesting things with Laurel, but I hate to agree here. Katie Cassidy has this kind of… nighttime soap style of acting that I feel works against Laurel. I also feel the character was miscast, but there’s no turning back now.

7. Nate says:

That unforgettable scoop!!!! No hints -___-

8. Claire says:

A big ol’ THANK YOU to Matt for the Felicity news! That is WONDERFUL. Season 3 is definitely looking up. Can’t wait for the show to begin.

With the developments of Oliver and Felicity, Diggle and his growing family, Thea returning with Malcolm, and now FELICITY’s BACKSTORY … heaven’s bliss.

9. Dmac says:

Oh hell, here comes the Ziva backlash brigade…

• Angela says:

I was just going to say…*Breaks out the popcorn and settles in, shakes her head*.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, in regards to topics NOT related to that show…happy to see some “Criminal Minds” news. No surprise that Garcia might be struggling a little with having to go through what she did in last season’s finale, so I look forward to seeing how her trip helps her deal with that. It’d be kinda fun if she brought Reid along, actually, and the two of them became closer friends over it as well, and were able to both get away from all the recent stress for a while. Whether they go that route or have her travel solo, either way, I think that’ll be a very interesting storyline. And I’m excited for the cast-directed episodes, too!

• StevenR says:

Oh, it never takes more than a few seconds, before the regulars file in, frothing at the mouth. Actually, you can set your watch by them. It’s been a year–same material through, obviously just re-posting the same comments, saves them time. How sad is that?

• Lizzie says:

I know they never rest, I just wish they would all get over it. Côte left the show ….. But they don’t seem to be able to see that

10. m. says:

If there’ll be a fun episode coming up in the first 4 episodes of Castle I guess the drama of the horrendous last finale won’t last very long. I don’t know what to make of that, but I guess if they don’t rush anything I’ll be totally on board for fun Castle – especially because that’s the show I fell in love with.

• suzyku says:

hopefully Castle will be more about “Castle” and less the “beckett” show! I watch for Nathan Fillion and it’s as if he has taken a backseat to the beckett character lately, ugh! I find her character to be cold, obnoxious, self centered and arrogant! They need to focus more on the Castle character and less on her IMO!

• Yawn says:

Hopefully Castle will be more about Castle and Beckett. I watch the show for Stana Katic but Castle and Beckett together are the bread and butter of the show and neither character is better or worse than the other. Be classy.

• Angela says:

Be classy.
          Seems like such a simple suggestion, doesn’t it? I understand some characters won’t be to some people’s liking, but looking at the different shows being discussed here and some of the comments about how much they hate this character or that one…I don’t get that level of hatred and ranting about fictional characters. Chill, people. Wouldn’t it be better and less stressful to talk about the characters you actually LIKE instead?

• Moshai says:

When you see responses like this you can see how much being a fanboy/girl of a certain actor can render someone completely incapable of reasonable discussion; so much bias. You’re are pretty much making up those attributes because none of them apply to the character of Kate Beckett.

• A says:

I like Beckett but couldn’t agree more with wanting more focus on Castle’s character. That was one of the things I was disappointed with last season. Castle rarely got storylines for himself. Hope that changes next season.

• Ditto. I’m very confused by that.

11. Mel says:

Thanks for the NCIS, Agent of Shield and Castle scoops. Looking forward to Tony hopefully finding someone with whom he can have a mature, equally caring relationship. Unfair to not let his character move forward and find the happiness no one else was willing to offer. Hopefully his character will also get some exciting storylines this season. And I’m glad that Ward is remaining on Shield. His character became infinitely more interesting after he went to the dark side.

• Erin says:

I’m excited to think that NCIS might finally let Tony move on and have a story that actually focuses on him instead of always relegating him to supporting role in everyone else’s big dramas. He hasn’t had any serious focus in years unless he was being used to accessorize a Ziva story. He looks fabulous and it would be nice if they could take the hero spotlight off of Gibbs for a second or two and let Tony shine as an agent.

• Erin says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that (as we all know), no matter who they cast as Tony’s love interest or how good the story is, Ziva/tiva fans already hate her just like they hate Bishop. There is zero percent chance that they will objectively look at or be mature about Tony moving on even though Ziva certainly did. He’s supposed to further stagnate and pine away in the off chance that CdP decides to grace NCIS with one final performance.

• John NYC says:

Yes, he had a lot of good screen time with the Jeanne Benoit arc, but that was a long time ago.

12. Harvey says:

Castle’s premiere is not a 2-parter?

13. Joni says:

Thank you for answer my question, Matt (liking the answer is simply a bonus). It’s great they’re not going to let Michael’s physical change to go unaddressed for Tony.

• Joni says:

“answering” not “answer” – would really love to have 5 minute “edit” feature (or I could just proof read before hitting Post Comment).

• I like the answer too Joni. We finally get to see some forward movement with Tony. Thanks for asking a great question.

• VeeGee says:

Until Tony gets a promotion, he’s not moving forward. He needs to do something different. I realize this will upset all the disciples of Saint Gibbs.

14. DarkDefender says:

Hey Matt, so no 2 episode arc for the season opener… Please tell me they are not abandoning “Castle got kidnapped..” I jokingly jested he was sitting in an ambulance on the scene of the fiery crash (as Beckett looked on at the flaming car in horror).. But I really don’t want that to be so..
    Also.. Does this mean they are going back to the 2-EP arc formula during sweeps ala’ Pandora/Linchpin & Target/Hunt?

15. Disappointed says:

So disappointed with the NCIS spoiler. I will not be watching Tony with anyone new. Ziva’s departure was not handled well. Of course I was a Tiva fan so the only way I would have liked it is if she had chosen to come back home with him & them have an off-screen relationship. After years of teasing the fans & end up with nothing & not even an ending story line that made sense is really disappointing. Seasons 4 and 11 were both horrible & it sounds like 12 will be a mix of the 2.

• An off-screen relationship would have been a great decision. It would have appeased fans who didn’t want the show to become all about their relationship, and fans who wanted them to be together. My ideal would have been an off-screen relationship and Cote back for the series finale, where we got to see them together a little. As it is, I gave up the show when Ziva left. :(

• Gabi says:

We invested eight years hoping for some payback on Tiva and we got stabbed in the back and given nothing. No way will I ever invest in a show with such horrible disdain for their fans who supported them for years.

• John NYC says:

How after Paris was there any hope of a relationship?

They slept together, lied about to everyone and then NEVER revisited it. The characters quite clearly were “been there, done that, nope, never again”.

Teammates who back each other, sure. But romantic? No, they’d always have Paris (to warn them off that). She was also written as very seriously involved with a umber of men after that: the character had clearly moved on from what paris had shown her was a bad idea.

• Erin says:

Good grief people! Are you seriously suggesting that Michael Weatherly’s Tony is supposed to have a love affair with a character whose portrayer decided to leave the show and has made absolutely no indication that she’s coming back? CdP has moved on – please do the same. Some of us love Tony and not tiva. To make him spend NCIS’s remaining seasons pining away for an absent character is ludicrous. He deserves better and hopefully tptb will have the courage to let him move on instead of catering to a crowd obsessed with a romance that wasn’t even really a romance. “Tiva” was all innuendo that was written that way so it could be open to interpretation.

• StevenR says:

What’s really sad is, these so called fans do not have enough respect for Cote de Pablo to honor HER decision to leave the show. She wasn’t run off NCIS, she quit. As far as the negative and demeaning comments about Emily–shame on these people–they aren’t fans of NCIS or CdP–just disrespectful children.

• BTM says:

They had a mature conversation at the end. They parted as friends, but she needed to do something w/ her life not related to law enforcement or politics.

It’s as though the Tiva fans would be happy w/ nothing less than hardcore porn.

16. Trish says:

I’m really looking forward to Arrow’s Felicity Smoak’s back-story and story-line. This is long overdue and it’s great to see that Arrow knows just how important this is to her fans. Finally!

17. Sarah says:

This may be a stupid question, but does that mean ABC has renewed Rookie Blue for season 6-the 2nd half of season 5-like GlobalTV?

18. I’m excited about both the Laurel and the Felicity news! I can’t wait to see KC/Laurel begin the journey towards becoming Black Canary, and Felicity’s backstory is long overdue. Also great to hear the AOS team talk about Ward as a villain. I have no interest in the show woobifying him and having the rest of the team forgive and forget. He did beyond terrible things, and I don’t see him back on the Bus with the other characters ever, really.

19. Patty says:

Matt – Thank you for the ‘Castle’ scoops. Looking forward to Season 7.

20. Cheryl Gress says:

I cannot believe CBS and NCIS are wasting the Tony and Ziva storyline. I am so fed up with GG it is enough jto send me jto another show. Bones gets it! oh that’s right GG is no longer on that show that’s why they can have a happy couples.

• John NYC says:

There was no Tony-Ziva storyline past Paris beyond platonic teammates who backed each other (somewhat, when she wasn’t betraying everyone).

• ArcticT says:

Whether romantic or not, bottom line there is no Tiva without a Ziva. Cote left. Unless they recast the role its done. I don’t know what you expect GG to do. How boring would it be to have Tony talking on the phone or texting to an imaginary person. Michael Weatherly still wants to be on the show so reward him by allowing his character to move on.

• kath says:

I have no faith that they will ever let Gibbs, Tony, Ducky or McGee have a real longterm relationship. If they didn’t do it with Tony/Ziva in 8 seasons, and McGee’s best shot at a relationship just left to go overseas longterm, why should I get excited about Tony having a new love interest when I know it’s only going to last a short time and then it’s back to the same old thing again.

• VeeGee says:

Every character on the show is doomed to eternal singleness, except Palmer. That should be obvious by now.

• kath says:

That’s a big problem for me, the fact that all the characters just tread water both romantically and professionally. You can do a procedural and still have the characters grow and develop — Castle proved that.

Right now, I don’t care about the love life on anyone on NCIS because it’s all going to be temporary and they’ll be right back to where they were in s2.

21. Lora says:

What about whether Fitz on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is part of the next season? We’ve heard about Ward and Triplett, but nothing about Fitz…you can’t have Fitz Simmons w/o the Fitz!

• John NYC says:

I don’t know, they wrote him down some pathetic pathways there in the closing eps. Simmons grew and got to be too good for him, IMHO.

• Christina says:

FitzSimmons needs do happen! Don’t care how long it takes, they just need to indicate that they’re going that way… I loved the Fitz storyline towards the end of the season that they gave him too, for what it’s worth.

• Ella says:

I much prefer Simmons with Triplett.

22. Olivia says:

[Laurel] fans will be really, really happy.

What about, you know, everyone else who watches the show? Do they only write Laurel story arcs with her fans in mind?

23. kath says:

Thanks for asking about Felicity on Arrow, Matt. I do appreciate it.

Sadly, it’s always the same old thing for her. ‘Yes, we’ll give you a back story some day but meanwhile, here is this great stuff about the latest guy we’re giving her as a love interest so her popularity will rub off on him.’

They’re really excited about Laurel’s story, she’s putting bad guys away as a lawyer, there’s great stuff coming for her and it’s going to be the culmination of the last two years of what they’ve been planning for her. There are storylines for Thea, Roy, Diggle and Sara is coming back.

While I’d like a back story for Felicity, all I really want is a story arc that’s finally about her and not about using her to prop someone else’s story. Of all the characters on Arrow, past and present, she is the only one who never has a story line of her own.

• John NYC says:

I think they were caught off guard by how well Emily Bett Rickards comes across in her scenes and have struggled to get beyond their initial vision of “somewhat cute I.T. girl with glasses”.

Just IMHO.

• Sarah says:

I agree. Felicity is probably the best thing about the show and she DESERVES her own storyline and a backstory. Hopefully this will flesh her out a bit more. I’ve no doubt she’ll be wonderful at whatever they give her. EBR is magical.

• Claire says:

İ think we’ll finally get it — I just hope they do it justice and even better, more than one episode. We’ve gotten a lot of info on characters I could care less about, it’s time to give us some good stuff!

24. Robbee67 says:

I just love Major Crimes and Rizolli and Iles. What I really like is that they split up the season so you don’t have to wait a whole year for 10 or 11 eps like Bates Motel. I wish more cable channels would follow suit.

• Joni says:

I’m thrilled that Major Crimes and The Last Ship got renewals – Seasons 4 and 2 respectively.
      Love Rizzoli and Isles and Suits and Covert Affairs too (all already renewed).
      Like you, I love the split seasons and the following season starting up just a few weeks after the previous season ended.

25. It’s hard to understand how they all think Castle is dead, he is later found, and they’re all joking about a so-called invisible killer within the first four episodes. But… OK…

• John NYC says:

Five seconds in to the first ep they can note the car is empty and simply was torched for a diversion.

• True, but if they have a two-parter-ish arc, then that doesn’t leave much time to explore Castle’s recovery.
        But perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself…

• S. says:

Well, part of the reason it’s 2 arc-covering eps is probably dealing with Castle’s recovery otherwise we’d get a really intense single ep. I bet they want to make it 2 episodes dealing with the arc is to extend the sense of the importance of it since it’s not just an episode but a mythology. We’ll have spent more time with it psychologically and gotten more invested. Can you imagine their stories to their ‘little Castle babies’ about how they met, all the stuff that happened, their wedding? Coolest parents ever.

26. Cyn Cromarty says:

OH MMY GOSH…stop with the Ziva talk already, she is gone gone gone, get over it!!! It’s getting down right pathetic!

27. dank says:

“Rookie Blue Season 5, as always reported, runs 22 episodes. Stateside, at least, the first 11 are airing now, and the rest will come around next summer.”

I’m sorry, but 22 episodes spread over 2 years isn’t a 22 episode “season” :(

28. Kat says:

The only thing I as a fan would be happy about when it come so Lauren it would be her being killed off. I can’t stand her character in the show but that may be die to the fact that I can’t really stand Kate Cassidy.
    On the other note putting TVD against Grey’s is not a competition for me. Have been watching both since the beginning but at this point TVD got so annoying and I am ready to let it go. The change in schedule will just help my decision.

29. Sarah says:

Finally Felicity gets a backstory. About damn time.

30. John Mosby says:

Gotta love a season description (Rookie Blue) that denies a shortened run, confirms a twenty-two ep length …but then adds the caveat that there’s only eleven going to be shown in a year. How long does one have to go between runs before ‘season’ becomes a bit redundant?

31. A love interest for Tony? LOL, I can imagine how horrible that “romance” will turn out :D

32. Kay says:

Thank you Matt for the CM’s, Arrow and Agents of Shield!

33. daveedtjr says:

Will Carrie Preston and Michael Jackson Fox be regulars this season, on The Good Wife?

34. Meg says:

I thoroughly dislike Robbie Thompson’s scripts (HATED Meta Fiction last season) and I hate the meta episodes so I am not looking forward to the 200th ep of Supernatural at all. I was hoping for an intense, serious, emotional episode like the 100th ep and I was hoping that it would be written by Jeremy Carver, the only writer who knows how to write Sam and the brotherly relationship. Instead we seem to be getting some silly piece of nonsense.

35. Kate says:

Loving all the Castle scoop this week! Everything has just made me even more excited for the new season. Thanks and I hope the info keeps coming! :-)

36. Callie says:

NO. NO NO NO NO. NO.

37. Rich Abey says:

The Castle & PoI scoops are much appreciated. Practically salivating for the return of Team PoI and their new cover jobs & hopefully we get than much anticipated Caskett wedding soon (seriously unless it’s the series finale Rick or Kate are highly unlikely to die for realsies).

38. Meg says:

I am hoping Laurel’s love interest will be Ted Grant aka Wildcat. That would also help her train up. The only thing is…I really like Caity Lotz as Black Canary…Hoping the writers can pull off writing Laurel’s possible canary story in such a way that is likable, and without killing off Lotz.

Always excited to hear we get more back story on Felicity. I think it would be super fun for another road trip story like Russia, but maybe this time to Vegas? I wouldn’t hate a flash back to MIT either.

• Briggs says:

Ted Grant would be great. :) You know how physical fighting can be. Though I admit, it’s a bit strange, knowing that the guy was like and uncle to Dinah in the comics. But hey, it’s time Laurel got back on that horse. Nothing against Tommy, but it’s been a while. I wouldn’t complain if he was recurring, either…

39. Cherrie says:

Seriously, Gary Glasberg, seriously? What a bunch of crap. A love interest for Tony? He already has one with Ziva, but they keep acting as if Ziva never existed. “Very organic”…smh yeah, keep ruining NCIS with your bad SL

40. Gabi says:

I do not want another romance for Tony. I want a romance between Tony and Ziva. I will not watch this fiasco called Season 12. Season 11 was horrible enough.

• Erin says:

Hello, Anybody in there? Maybe you didn’t get the memo. Cote de Pablo quit NCIS so it would be pretty hard for Tony to be in a romance with her character. Do you really think it would be exciting to see Tony texting her each episode? Crying about how much he (and everyone else) misses her? Asking WWZD? Geeze. We know you didn’t get your soapish romance spelled out complete with declarations of undying love, bedroom scenes, a wedding, and babies, but please, PLEASE, move on. Ziva is no longer part of the show! Tony is – his character should get to grow and perhaps in a real romantic relationship with a woman who is actually able to be with him.

• Annette says:

As opposed to McGee and Delilah texting, skyping, talking while Delilah is in Dubai? If they can show a long distance relationship with McGee & Delilah, they can do that with Tony & Ziva!

41. Kar says:

oh gawd no more Laurel!

42. Nat R says:

POI’s ‘Panopticon': All my years of studying Foucault have led up to this moment. :)

43. cindy says:

My husband reminded me who Roma Downey is and the series (something about angels) she produced it was well done and with good actors, so a show co-produced by her and Mark Burnett should be good; casting Cote de Pablo is a good sign :-)

44. Lucy says:

Love all the Arrow scoop & can’t wait to learn more about my favorite IT professional! Here’s to lots of Felicity Smoak in season 3.

45. sonrisa says:

felicity’s backstory. finally.! :D
    can’t wait x3

46. dude says:

LOVE Laurel and I’m so excited for her story. Katie Cassidy is awesome!

47. Grace says:

Matt, thanks for the scoop about Tony from NCIS. But I have to say, I love the line “NCIS’ most eligible agent (G Callen excepted)”. I love G. Callen (aka Chris O’Donnell)! Thanks for including him as an eligible agent.

48. sarah j says:

I know a lot of people to not like Laurel, but I do! I am glad she will get more screen time. I also am excited to see Felicity’s back story! Arrow season 3 is going to be so good!

I am excited about Elena’s storyline on TVD.

I live in Canada and I think we are getting all 22 episodes of Rookie Blue here in Canada. If ABC is waiting until next summer to air the rest for you all in the USA I wonder how that will work if and I HOPE when they get renewed for another season.

49. Graham Forbes says:

Note: Have only just received this TV guide [21.07.14] in the UK and as a Castle fan I read most of the comments (must get a life) which I found really spread. But, the difference of option is still so vast and in some instances quite vindictive…

1] I agree that these should have been forgotten sometime in the past.
    2] Every option voiced by others should be read and hopefully be understood.
    3] All agree that this is the most useless episode in 6 series. It upset so many fans causing a huge outpouring of anger and frustration.
    4] The loss off Castle as a main title/character holding this original characterisation only in the first four series.
    5] We all love Beckett’s, but it’s all Beckett’s? ABC will not wish to loose such a high profile and series.
    6] Consider the pain fans have experienced by such a poorly written script. I and many others have been badly “Kicked” as per last series and episode and it hurts badly.
    7] ABC should remember that fans have feet – you produce a lot and lose a lot of money, perhaps it’s about time you listen to the fans i.e. the people who watch the TV, Buy the dvd’s and Books. “You Have Gold In Your Hands”

50. Pat Smith says:

I am a big fan of Arrow, but I am quite leary about Arrow’s assumed passing of the Canary baton (leather jacket) to Laurel. Nothing suggests that Laurel has any fighting skills at all. Her sister spent years in extreme conditions developing her Canary fighting skills, while Laurel lived a somewhat sheltered existence. If producer’s think giving Laurel the jacket and a couple of kick boxing lessons will make her the Canary, I will feel cheatedto say the least. I’m just not buying Laurel as the new Canary and hope the show does not go down that road.