Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Castle, Once, Arrow, Liars, The Last Ship, Sleepy Hollow, Teen Wolf and More

Castle Spoilers Rick DeadIs Castle‘s biggest bad down for the count? Will Once Upon a Time‘s Elsa be chillin’ like a villain? What’s the classical twist to Arrow‘s next adversary? Who’s jumped off The Last Ship? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Will the shift in showrunners on Castle have an effect on current storyline set up in the Season 6 finale? –Rachael
In a word, nope. Everything I am hearing from well-placed sources indicates that while David Amann will be taking over the day-to-day running of the show, the vision very much remains that of series creator Andrew W. Marlowe — so much so that I have no qualms answering the next question with a quote from AWM….

The Castle finale was en fuego! Any news on what’s coming up for Season 7? –DarkDefender
I can tell you what’s not coming up – any new regurgitation of the Bracken storyline. Which, to me, rules out the squirrelly senator as the igniter of Castle’s fiery finale fate. “The Bracken arc is pretty much over,” Marlowe told me after the finale. “We know who [killed Johanna], Beckett has gotten juctice…. If there is any future storytelling with Senator Brecken, it would be breaking new ground and not going back to revisit the old ghosts.” That said, “Bracken isn’t dead, he’s a formidable person and he may someday entertain notions for revenge,” Marlowe allowed, “but it would be [in the context of] storytelling that moves us forward.”

RELATED Castle Season 7 Scoop: Will There Be a Time Jump?

I’ve read two different Once Upon a Time articles (both quoting TVLine, by the way), one stating that Elsa will be in nine episodes and the other stating that Anna will be in nine episodes. I thought I read on your site that it would be Elsa. Could you please clarify? –MGM
Oh, the Internet. Just one big game of “Telephone,” isn’t it? Elsa will appear in about nine episodes, Anna is slated for six to eight, and Kristoff is in as many as six.

Is Once Upon a Time‘s Elsa going to be evil? Or can we assume she will follow the movie character? –Margie
See, that’s the question I had the second it was confirmed who exactly we saw there in the barn. So I asked the series creators if we’ll perhaps be seeing Elsa beforeFrozen movie spoiler alert! — she and Anna happily reunited, back when she was in that epic snit. “Maybe yes, maybe no. It could be after,” Adam Horowitz hedged. “One can be in a snit for many reasons.”

RELATED Once Upon a Time Season 4 Scoop on Emma/Hook’s Detoured Romance

It was said at the beginning of Season 5 that NCIS: LA would be losing a team member. Is that still going to happen? –Meghan
Oh, the Internet. Just one big game of “Telephone,” isn’t it? The team member that was “lost” was Kensi, when she got pulled from the L.A. team and sent to Afghanistan. Mystery solved!

Any new news on Arrow Season 3? The wait is killing us! –Jeff
‘Member the “Seth” guy I told you about a couple of weeks ago? Well, the casting for that role has since been tweaked, and he is now described as a “shade of a man” with a quiet intensity, a “criminal mastermind who whistles classical music” as he goes about his devious business. There’s also talk of him having “reptilian eyes.” Whomever he is, he will be the Big Bad for the season opener.

What can you tell us about the Sleepy Hollow premiere? –Deyna
I’ve got nothing new on the premiere. But if you want to look a-head to Episode 6, I can tell you that there’s a new hunk in town – the late Sheriff Corbin’s son Joe, a well-built, all-American Marine carrying a big chip on his shoulder.

RELATED Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Casting Scoop — Who’s the Strange Woman?

Got anything about Major Crimes? –Ilona
Sharon’s son Ricky, who pops up in Episode 9, is a real piece of work, throwing shade left and right at his new “brother” Rusty. But when Ricky goes too far and psychoanalyzes his mom’s reasons for taking in the street rat, just you watch as Mama Bear’s claws come out!

It’s going to be a long, dry summer without Reign. I’ll take anything you can give me to hold me over. –Christina
All told, series star Adelaide Kane foresees an “intense second season,” based on how the freshman run ended. “I’d say we have a lot of stuff – and a darker direction — to look forward to,” she told me, adding that she hopes to share more scenes in the future with Caitlin Stasey (who plays Kenna). P.S. “Dry.” Reign. Excellent wordplay.

Can you tell us anything about Season 2 of Masters of Sex? I’m eagerly awaiting the premiere! –Jacquelyn
According to Teddy Sears, “We are going to see Dr. Langham be even more ruthless and untethered” when the Showtime hit returns July 13. “He’s looking to re-anchor, to reorganize, his life, and he does so quite unsuccessfully and I think quite hilariously. We’re having a lot of fun shooting it!”

Michaela McManus (Law & Order: SVU) was supposed to be on The Last Ship on TNT — she’s even in one of the early promos, but when I got to the same scene in that episode it was another actress who wasn’t her. What gives? –Colleen
What gives is that McManus’ character, Lt. Jackie Makena, was excised from the pilot. Onetime Leverage guest star Marissa Neitling was subsequently cast in a similar role, as the Combat Information Center’s Lt. Kara Foster.

Who played the president in the first episode of The Last Ship? Could that have been Angie Dickinson? –Loretta
Angie Dickinson, no. Deborah May, yes.

Anything about Teen Wolf‘s Sheriff Stilinski and Mama McCall? –Wahiba
If you’re asking about their romantic relationship — it’s no secret that many ‘ship those two — you shouldn’t expect any new developments on that front. But Stiles’ dad and Scott’s mom do have some pretty big interactions coming up, and we’re still not used to hearing them talk about werewolves together. (Seriously, this is a teen drama. What ever happened to parents being left in the dark?)

Do you have any scoop on the big revelation in the 100th episode of Pretty Little Liars? –Jon
Which “big revelation” would that be? Because last we checked there will be several, including which guy Hanna will be sticking with for the foreseeable future. Episode 100 marks Caleb’s return to Rosewood, and while we’re all excited for the former Ravenswoodsman’s homecoming, Hanna still has that little matter of Travis to sort out. Something tells me her new man won’t appreciate being dropped like a bad habit. Bonus scoop: Episode 12 will introduce us to Mona’s momma, Leona.

Any Rookie Blue scoop? Preferably McSwarek-flavoured? –Sara
We have not seen the last of Sam’s ex Marlo! “She’s an excellent police officer,” says EP Tassie Cameron. “We spent a lot of time trying to establish that in Season 4, trying to show how good she is at her job. So there’s a big case that brings her back, in a different capacity.”

Got anything on Orphan Black? –Leia
It would seem that those who sp-egg-ulated about that nitrogen tank Helena left behind in Felix’s loft before getting grabbed are right, that her babies are now in the hands of her sestra. “They could be [her eggs],” co-creator Graeme Manson allowed, confirming this much: “She’s taken something from the Prolethean farm and left them for her sisters.”

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

I watched the official trailer for ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder a bunch of times but there is no sign of Katie Findlay. Is she still part of the show? –Marko
Oh, yes. The Carrie Diaries/The Killing alumna is very much a part of the show.

I would really like to know exactly what pilots you think are watchable, in a big list! Consider it! –Rebooted
I’ll of course be posting my annual First Impressions series later this summer, but for now I’m keeping a running “rankings” over on my Facebook page. Thus far, the Top 3 dramas I have watched are How to Get Away With Murder, Gotham and Madam Secretary, while Selfie and Marry Me are leading the sitcom pack – with a huuuuge, sad gap separating No. 3 and below.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite summer or fall show, email InsideLine@tvline.com! (With additional reporting by Vlada Gelman, Andy Swift)

1. Jenni says:

So Amann does all the work and Marlowe gets all the credit. Wish that surprised me.

• Audrey says:

More like if anything goes awry, Amann to take the heat.

• Both statements are true.

• Disappointed says:

Well any optimism I had for S7 has now totally dissipated, really hoped we’d finished with Marlowe’s “vision” and the show had a chance of recapturing it’s former glory. The man can’t write a couple in a relationship to save his life. Guess we can expect Beckett to be taken down a few more pegs, Castle’s still ahead 2 divorces to 1. Still, you have to “respect the process”

2. A to Z it’s that bad to not mention it on the final answer?? I was hoping to meet “the mother” on another show.

3. Ana says:

Thanks for your article, Matt! And for the much appreciated Once scoop. Considering that the first script of season 4 has been written already, I’m sure Adam and Eddy have a very clear vision on the whole Elsa and Anna storyline. Very excited to see it.
    I was wondering if you can give us any scoop on Killian’s backstory. I remember a while back you mentioned something about his first stay in Neverland and him and Tink.
    I’m hoping season 4 will also bring some insight into his parents – I’d love to meet at least one if them and to find out what happened to them and how he ended up abandoned by his father, like so many other once characters.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, I saw your email. I’ve covered Hook plenty in recent months. Need to spread the wealth.

• Len84 says:

You spread it Matt. And i will wait for the dashing pirate scoop in the future :D
        Also i kinda am hoping Hook, or should i be calling him Killian now ;) – is that Killian and Kristoff might parallel, only coz i read here in one of the scoops that Kristoff will be adjusting to life in the castle, which kinda Hook could be doing in present in SB and his new romance with Emma. And didnt both men give up their vessel’s ship and slegh/sled? ;) :)

• Emma says:

At least some entertainment reporters realize this. Thanks Matt!

• Ana says:

You have :) Definitely not complaining! I just remember you saying that you kept that Hook/Tink/Neverland nugget for a rainy day. I’m okay waiting for that day :)
        Thanks again for all the insight you offer. It’s very appreciated!

4. M3rc Nate says:

Lol a excellent police officer? She is bi-polar and got so obsessed with a case it cause a hostage taking situation of a police officer and more! lol….she would be off the force in a new york second, and in a fair world charged for lying about being bipolar while a Cop…but the police department would probably just want to sweep that under the rug and force her to retire quietly. Excellent cop my butt. You wouldnt want her anywhere near a case you cared about.

• Sophonisbe says:

My thoughts exactly. She may have been an excellent cop – and actually, I have nothing against her but I don’t remember her being excellent at her job – but what happened at the end of last season should have been enough to push her out. I’m surprised they kept her.

5. Megan says:

I just want to hear something new about The Mindy Project…

6. uh huh says:

I wonder if Joe Corbin is going to want his father’s cabin back!

7. Christina says:

Can we get a link to your Facebook page to check out those “rankings?” Thanks for the scoop Matt!

8. abz says:

I kind of want a villain on OUAT that is just pure evil and unrelated to anyone from the Charming family. They did a great job with Rebecca Mader/Zelena and I think they should continue that path. I think it would fun if they make Elsa an evil Ice Queen. I hope they deviate from the movie character.

9. Matt, any thoughts on Fresh off the boat?

10. Koanda says:

Pff … are you kidding me? Leaving the parents in the dark is about the most boring, unrealistic, stupidest trope EVER. It’s overplayed and it is so much more fun when the parents actually know what’s going on.

• opus says:

I agree completely. It is refreshing to have a teen show where the parents aren’t idiots and actually have some knowledge of what is going on in their children’s lives.

11. ryan says:

Tired of hearding about crappy once upon a time. Sick of their ratings stunts where they try and work in the hot new disney project. If frozen had bomed, they wouldn’t have a story! And the showrunners sound like idiots when they try to act coy and clever with their answers.

12. Randall says:

Arrow=Kobra

13. CK says:

So is that a hint that Findlay is going to be the character whose murder the first season revolves around.

14. Ian says:

Suppose they have to leave stuff for the 5th season, like Stydia, but boy, do they make us wait for eveything on Teen Wolf. I see no real reason why there couldn’t be any development in the romance department between Papa Stiles and Mama McCall. Priorities, Jeff. They’re just going to waste plenty of screentime on all these new characters half of whom no one will end up invested in, when it could have gone to other things.

15. anna says:

selfie is number one? I’m surprised! I thought the trailer looked awful. I didn’t like the marry me trailer either… I’ll have to take a look at both pilots based on your rankings.

• Babybop says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Selfie looked terrible, but I’ll have to check it out if it’s supposed to be good!

16. Alex says:

Great spoilers! Matt, any news on casting for ONCE ? When should we know ?

17. A says:

So is the Flash unwatchable? That would be dissapointing

18. Alex says:

Any news on casting for ONCE ? When

19. GildedRose says:

Well I’m totally curious about Arrow’s new bad guy. Sounds intriguing. I’m really looking forward to info on Felicity’s dad, her story for S3, and that back story the writers keep promising (plus that alluded to addressing of the S2 finale for Oliver/Felicity when Arrow returns).

• aunni says:

i openly admits i hsve zero knowledge on comics. but he seems like pure evil for now… i hope they cast a smart actor unlike counts actor who was overacting

20. Smigglesby says:

I watched the How To Get Away With Murder pilot and Katie Findlay was unrecognizable. She was the ‘goth’ neighbour right?

21. Tammy says:

I’m so not looking for OUAT’s return if Elsa is around for that many episodes. I have no desire to see the movie and no desire to see it on tv either. So someone needs to send up a white flag to let me know when OUAT is Frozen free!

22. Jared says:

Has Orphan Black been renewed for a third season?

23. kath says:

Arrow’s villain sounds like good. Cultured villains are always more fun than thug ones. (Still hoping it’s Sara who is the BC next season and they find something else for Laurel.)

• The description of the villain sounds awfully familiar, but I can’t for the life of me put a name to him. Although there was an old comic villain called The Shade…

• aunni says:

plz try a little harder. im intrigued

• Delirious says:

google/wikipedia is your friend…

Also: opinionwise, I’m on the fence about the important part being “a SHADE of a man”, and the “reptilian eyes” are just a superficial trait, or viceversa.

• aunni says:

Wikipedia is not answer for everything. there is a huge amount of arrow fans like me know very less about comics. some tvline readers has vast knowledge. i dont want to gather wrong info from Internet bcz i lack knowledge. im a formula 1 fan, if u want i can give u a full day class on f1. every1 has their expertise. tc

• Ian Barber says:

The Shade is a DC Comics villain – he appeared in the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoon series. In the ‘toon he was portrayed as a skinny man with a black outfit and top hat, who carried a cane that could create darkness. I assume Arrow will take away the more mystical parts of him unless he ends up being one of the metahumans created by the Star Labs explosion from The Flash.

24. Miriam Maurer says:

On Castle…no crap like the clone crap on Lois and Clark…or a lot of people will go bye bye.

25. DarkDefender says:

Nice to see the Castle scoop.. I hope we never hear from a Bracken again (although Jack Coleman was stellar).. I like how they’ve ended it.
    I never thought the car crash was him (or 3XK – because he would want Beckett to KNOW Castle was dead, not just think it). I also don’t think it is Rick’s dad (he would have protected Martha and Alexis too)..
    I am not even sure Rick isn’t sitting in an ambulance and Kate’s reaction wasn’t just seeing the car in flames.. Seems he would be ok, if she didn’t take Martha & Alexis with her.. Unless they pull up behind in a second car we have yet to see.
    Either way.. Keep the scoopage coming.. Mucho appreciated!

26. Brian says:

Hey Matt, What is your Facebook page name? I found you under your name, but that looks like a personal one and I don’t want to be a online TV reporter stalker person. Thanks in advance!

27. dee123 says:

So Sharon sides against her own son? Interesting. He must be a piece of work.

28. Crissy T. says:

So if Castle’s vision is still Marlowe’s, then what does that make David Amann? I looked up the definition of showrunner per the June 16 announcement. Sounds like to me Amann is nothing more than AWM’s punching puppet. Someone to take the blame when the “you know what” hits the fan. I hate being lied too. I feel like TV Line deceived readers when they said Marlowe stepped down.

• Huskygrl says:

Seriously? TV Line lied?? Did you read the article? I believe the just of the article was that AM was stepping down as show runner BUT would maintain a day to day presence. Just because Wikipedia or some other online source gives a certain definition DOES NOT mean that is the conclusive or only definition possible. I get so tired of people getting on the comments without even reading the article the comments are linked to! I.E. “Oh no! What happened to the Mentalist??”

• Just one thing says:

A showrunner generally does have ultimate creative control, so it sounds like David Amann is an executive producer with, as they’ve all said, more responsibility. He just defers to the creator.
      The show seems to be run on a far tighter budget than other series of its kind, in terms of time on air and network standing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the restructuring is a cost-saving measure. Just like a lot of the other things that seem to go on with Castle.

29. Celso Távora says:

Hey, Matt! Any news/scoop on Strike Back? Is Sullivan Stapleton already OK?

30. Jane says:

Matt, Stelena spoilers pleeeaase? I miss them and the good old TVD days, any news?

31. sarah says:

PLL: I am team Haleb but I have a feeling Hannah will choose Travis. Caleb left and she was crushed but when she went to see Caleb in Ravenswood one would have thought they were getting back together, but I just have a feeling she will turn down Caleb.

Rookie Blue: Sam and Andy are meant to be and Marlo coming back will not interfere with their relationship.

32. Rich Abey says:

Alright now..has nobody seen the Frozen movie proper? Was Elsa truly “Evil” at any point in the movie, even when she froze her kingdom & ran away to the mountains…nope! She just wanted to be left alone. So with regards to her situation on OUAT, where she was locked up by Rumple in a bottle, she is gonna be mighty pissed off and wanting revenge from Rumple (or if she doesn’t know who locked her up find that ‘somebody’). That doesn’t make her evil. That makes her as normal as anybody else. Snow & Charming wanted revenge from Regina for all of her wrongdoing (remember she killed & tortured countless people) & almost executed her…well Charming was all for it and Snow had a change of heart at the last second. Did that mean Charming was evil? No. So people please stop using the term evil or villian cause that doesn’t apply to Elsa. She is not Peter Pan or the Wicked Witch or Cora for crying out loud.

• Lily says:

It is because some fans would rather OUaT adapt Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen”, instead of Disney’s “Frozen”. Why would anyone want to watch, a rehash of a film, that is less than a year old…. especially, if said film, is incredibly overrated?

33. Geovanna says:

Selfie?! Seriously?!

34. MKS says:

A showrunner is an executive producer who manages every aspect of a show according what Shane Brennan of NCIS LA says. That 8 includes the creative direction of a show. If AWM did step down, then his creative authority went with it. There is no in between. So, if DA is the De facto showrunner then he has creative control which means he can take the show in a different direction if he feels it will make it last longer.

The tweets from Marlowe’s wife Terri, their subsequent comments to a fan site and this recent news that Castle’s vision remains very much AWM’s this means that DA is nothing more than a fall guy.

He will still have to defer to AWM even though he essentially demoted himself.

That does not make DA a showrunner. So in a way, Crissy was right. We we’re lied to in that AWM maintains creative authority—which is perhaps the biggest part of a show runner’s responsibility.

What is more interesting, in light of Katic’s recent comments, DA booked a trip to Italy to meet with his co lead. In my experience, you don’t do that in the middle of writing your season unless it’s to meet up to discuss what is going on with the show.

And to perhaps smooth ruffled feathers.

35. Artist says:

The Last Ship has so many technical and story flaws it is almost un-watchable. Too bad I was so hoping it might be a good summer filler.

36. usman isa says:

Please i need any information on Rectify season 2

37. Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I
    came to take a look. I’m definitely loving
    the information. I’m book-marking and will be
    tweeting this to my followers! Superb blog and great design and style.

38. Dan Rouse says:

my daughter is seriously concerned about the frozen reference in once upon a time. Can you give us anymore on the subject?

39. wendy says:

who is leaving ncis la

40. Bubba says:

Castle’s season finale was predictable and trite and after watching the show since it began I am no longer a fan. Whoever wrote that episode and whoever approved it should be fired for lack of insight and imagination.

41. Bona says:

I have so much to watch now so I don’t plan on trying much new this season. Probably “Gotham,” FOB and “Madame Secretary” looks good. I value your opinion though, Matt, so seeing what you thought about the pilots you’ve seen makes a difference. Thanks for sharing. Also, thanks for the “Castle” scoop. I am one of the ones who enjoyed the finale and I actually like and respect Marlowe and hope Amann does a good job filling his shoes. Stay awesome, Matt. :)

42. Patricia says:

I miss Kono on Hawaii 5o will she be back

43. Candace Kowal says:

“Surviving Jack” starring Christopher Meloni was a really funny family show. Every character in that show was perfect. What happened? Why did they cancel it? And how can those stupid reality shows stay on the air when cute family shows like “Surviving Jack” are cancelled? (Not to mention “The Glades”) !

44. Dr. Enie says:

Why would you post the Castle info of June 26 one month later? This is not current!!!

45. is there more to expect on revenge after ssn 3.,? ~taiyaa