Ratings: The Blacklist and Castle Return Steady, The Tomorrow People Slips Back to Series Low

Ratings The BlacklistNBC’s The Blacklist on Monday night returned from a three-week break to 11.2 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating (per finals), ticking up in audience versus its last fresh outing while steady in the demo.

Opening the Peacock’s night, The Voice’s live rounds kicked off with 11.2 mil and a 3.0, down 7 and 12 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of The Tomorrow People, Beauty and the Beast, Star-Crossed, and 25 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

ABC’s Castle similarly came back from a four-week hiatus to score 9.8 mil and a 1.8, matching its most recent outing. DWTS started the night with 14.1 mil/2.2, dipping a tenth.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Castle and Dancing With the Stars

Elsewhere….

CBS | 2 Broke Girls (7 mil/2.1) and Mike & Molly (7.3 mil/1.9) both slipped two tenths, with the former hitting a series low; Friends With Better Lives (5.4 mil/1.7) inched down a tenth; and a Big Bang rerun (6.9 mil/1.9) matched Mom‘s most recent performance in the time slot.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

FOX | Bones (6.0 mil/1.5) ticked up a tenth, while The Following (4.4 mil/1.4) was flat in the demo.

THE CW | With preemptions now factored in, Star-Crossed (810 mil/0.3) added a few eyeballs/stayed steady in the demo, while The Tomorrow People (760K mil/0.3) fell 28 percent in audience and dipped a tenth in the demo, tying its series low.

1. With audiences falling thus TTP serious danger of cancellation? Star Crossed for a new series, the low numbers also puts on cancellation?

2. Leigh says:

Castle was funny last night. I would think the ratings would tick up closer to the season finale and the wedding.

3. Spinster says:

LoL at SC being more watched than TTP even when it’s just by 0,07 mil. Interesting!

• luvmypup says:

Star Crossed does deserve a pat on the back because when all of the shows on the CW have been falling in the ratings (for whatever reasons), it has kept its audience from the first show and the demo has remained .3-.4. Although that’s low, it shows it has a committed audience. It’s a great show and has just gotten better and better. I still hold out hope for a 2nd season.

• ... says:

Plus, CW hasn’t aired Star-Crossed with any of their heavy hitters like they did with the other four freshmen, so it’s not getting anything in the way of help. Its self-starting 0.3 is arguably better than Reign’s 0.4 behind The Vampire Diaries and it’s not received anything near the marketing push or plum time slot that The 100 got. I mean, The CW debuted Star-Crossed against the Olympics, paired it with the lowest-rated drama on the network, gave it two repeat lead-outs in its first handful of episodes, and then wonders why it’s not being sampled? Ludicrous.

4. Anon says:

I think it’s time that ABC moved Castle out of that sweet DWTS lead in spot….it should be used to launch a new show that could actually benefit from DWTS lead in… That Castle 1.8 demo is not cutting the mustard. It should be retaining a higher demo from DWTS. jmho

• Rich Abey says:

but given that recent Castle re-runs have been scoring as high as a 1.5 demo..how come the past few live episodes (including yesterday’s) are scoring only 1.7’s & 1.8’s?

• Rich Abey says:

not to forget the fact that just earlier this year Castle was on course for it’s most watched season ever.

• Anon says:

It’s repeats were airing basically against repeats on other networks. No new Blacklist. Or maybe the older Castle eps in repeats are more appealing than the new ones?

• Grey says:

Audiences hat hiatus. Sometimes they come back from them sometimes they don’t. Another thing that’s hurting “Castle” is ABC lack of promotion at key times. Usually they run at least one promo for it during “Scandal” but during “Scandal’s” big season finality not even a mention. What’s up with that? They promoted everything else, “Grey’s,” “OUAT,” “AOS” but nothing for “Castle” as it enters it’s last four episodes of the season???

• Patty says:

Yes. i agree. ABC-TV seems to be taking ‘Castle’ for granted. Let’s see more promos for it, not just a mere mention at the DWTS sign-off.

• Ana says:

I sincerely doubt DWTS would help a new show that much. It skews quite old so while Castle may not be benefitting anymore from that lead in, a new show might not do better.

• Anon says:

If it’s not a sweet spot why has Castle clung on to dear life to that DWST lead in? … Acutally Castle should be a lead in show and be on at 8pm or 9pm… Well perhaps not now as its well past its prime salad days ratings.

• Katherine215 says:

Castle is actually rated higher than the average ABC show is (TV by the Numbers explains this better than I can). And given it’s longevity, that’s pretty impressive. IMO, ABC would kill for one of its new shows to produce numbers like that, and I just don’t see DWTS being the impetus behind its success, at least nowadays.

• Ana says:

Because they just haven’t moved it? I don’t know why don’t you ask the network heads? DWTS was getting a 1.9-2.0 last season at the end. What exactly is so “sweet” about that spot?

• S. says:

Exactly, it’s actually a rough spot to be in (no matter the lead-in show or network) and Castle’s anchoring it like a champ. Studio 60 debuted there on NBC to fanfare and snuffed it pretty hard. Mondays at 10pm is a difficult place to be. They’d never move it if the consequences were to make Castle’s ratings unsteady while put a show soon to flop. Being behind aging franchises like DWTS and The Bachelor can’t help anybody. Castle’s been off for weeks so returning steady is actually good.

• Rich Abey says:

- Like the others have mentioned DWTS has an average demo of 2.1 this season against Castle’s 1.9. That is a 90% retention from a show in it’s 6th season. Also DWTS’s 2.1 demo rating is not a “sweet” rating (it’s a sweet rating only on the CW network). Considering the fact that DWTS’s competition from NBC’s The Voice averages over 3.0 this season and has done so for the past few years versus DWTS’s average demo over the past 3 yrs hovering between 2.1-2.4 (while Castle has been averaging between 2.0-2.1 for the past 4 seasons) , it is not exactly a git-wrapped-horse for Castle. The only thing it brings to the equation is an average viewership of over 12 million.
          – Also consider that fact that Castle has received very little publicity from ABC from the start compared to the likes of Scandal, OUAT, Revenge & Resurrection which were introduced in recent times to cheers galore from ABC (and despite that so-called mega-deal Scandal is still averaging just below 10 million viewers in it’s 3rd season, OUAT is averaging 7 million viewers in it’s 3rd season & Revenge is closer to Cancellation that being valuable), showing how valuable Castle is to ABC.

• Ana says:

I was going to agree with your entire comment until you mentioned how 2.1 is a sweet demo rating only on the CW since that’s a blatant lie. No show on the CW comes even close to that rating and NBC would be very happy with a show that averages that. Also, Castle was always publicized. It’s just not getting as much publicity anymore because it’s in its 6th season and it’s not fresh and young anymore. it’s total viewers might be great but since that contributes absolutely nothing to whether its renewed or not, mentioning it is pointless.

Castle is doing fine but let’s not exaggerate how valuable it is to ABC.

• Patty says:

‘Castle’ has been holding its own for 6 seasons; averaging 10 million viewers – even with the aging ‘DWTS’ as a lead-in. It’s surprising that ABC brass sees fit to tout other shows on its line-up – but not ‘Castle.’

• Rich Abey says:

- Well a sweet demo rating would be the type of demo achieved by the likes of juggernauts Big Bang Theory or Walking Dead. How many networks have that type of show anymore? Only CBS & AMC. Even NCIS (the most watched drama on network TV) averages a demo in the 2.5-3.5 range.
            – I was talking about the publicity Castle received from ABC right from the start & not in it’s 6th season. It was certainly much less that what Scandal, OUAT or Revenge received (they were hailed as ground-breaking, marvelous, etc) but really none of such heavily publicized shows in the recent past have had the legs to maintain steady demo’s & actually increase viewership year after year (except for Grey’s Anatomy, Lost & perhaps Scandal given time). I mean just point out how many shows have managed to increase viewership after their 4th season? BBT, Breaking Bad & NCIS the only choices.
            I cannot really quantify how much less publicity Castle received compared to the others but pretty much everybody knows that if not for Nathan Fillion’s cult status, the show would have been caput in it’s very first season (even the ABC executives sometimes admit that Castle is undervalued). It only goes to show how tough the Network TV business is.

• Mike says:

Dancing with the Stars Sweet Spot? It is not a Sweet Spot!! Dancing screws very old and pulls a 2.1, those older viewers are not going to tune into a 10pm show with creative young feel. Castle is historically stayed the same even when the Bachelor airs, it shows the staying power of the show and fan base. Dancing with the Stars and the Bachelor are dipping every year. Castle stays the same. Along with Grey’s and Scandal it is a anchor for ABC’s scripted shows. The post dancing spot is not a Sweet Spot.

• David4 says:

DWTS is not a powerhouse show anymore, and using the spot to lunch a new show is risky at best. Castle does hold it’s own.

• Meg says:

DWTS had a 2.1 demo, and Castle had a 1.8. That’s roughly 85%. How much do you think Castle should retain?

5. Gerald says:

I enjoy both Star Crossed and The Tomorrow People. But if I had to keep one it would be the Tomorrow People for sure. These shows should tick up in the ratings with DVR numbers.

• wrstlgirl says:

Same here, definitely would pic TTP over SC. I find myself easily distracted by SC every week. It’s just not very compelling story telling and I’m not invested in these characters at all and at this point I really should be :-)

• luvmypup says:

Completely disagree. I hope they both are renewed, but my first choice is Star Crossed. It just continues to get better and has a number of interesting storylines and many that could be expanded. And I love the characters as well.

• wrstlgirl says:

My biggest issue with SC is Aimee Teegarden. I’m just buying her as a teenager at all. And I think the writing so far as been very repetitious. We’re together, no we’re not, yes we are, ugh. I hate this kind of crappy storytelling. But that’s just me and everyone has different tastes.

• Elyse says:

She is pretty awful. SC is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. TTP got dropped from my DVR long ago. I think both shows will end up canceled in May though.

• wrstlgirl says:

Sadly Elyse I think you’re probably right. We should know soon. Either way I won’t shed a tear. Neither one are high on my viewing list.

• Elyse says:

I just hate the waiting game! I would rather know now. I’m sure they don’t want people to quit watching just because the shows ending though. I remember a few years ago I was in the middle of watching the Secret Circle finale when I got the email notification that TSC had been canceled. I was so mad!!

6. Sarah says:

Bones may be flat, but it’ll probably still be the highest non-animated scripted show on Fox this week. And hopefully it’ll adjust up.

7. wrstlgirl says:

Blacklist ~ I’m beginning to think Red is more likely related to Tom and not Lizzie at this point. There’s definitely something more between those two than they are letting on. I’m very intrigued.

• Lucinda says:

After last night’s “Blacklist”, I think you may be right! Especially since he KNEW so much about Tom from the beginning of this show. Next week’s previews with Liz looking at the photos and then telling Red, “You are a monster!” make me wonder if he was responsible for her house fire as a child OR did Tom have him video tapes as he smoothered his “friend” and Liz’ ‘father’???? Can’t wait!

• Elyse says:

Ohhh interesting theory!

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m still not convinced that Tom is a “bad” guy. Not that I agree with what he did…..lying/marrying and pretending to be someone he’s surely not but IDK, I can’t help but think there’s an interesting twist coming up in the finale’. I hope Tom’s not gone for long.

• Katherine215 says:

That’s a really interesting theory. If you’re right, I still kind of hope he’s a “bad” guy. I just enjoy hating him, is pretty much my only reason for wanting that, haha.

• Sheila says:

Did you guys notice that he was still wearing his wedding ring throughout the chase, etc.? He even said a throw away “love you” when he “left to walk the dog.” Both not necessary unless there are some feelings. Although, I wanted him to get his butt kicked when he said he felt sorry for her. I loved the fight scene. I can’t wait to see what happens.

8. Yasmine says:

I don’t know what happened to Castle…That show did even manage to reach 10 mil viewers with The bachelor as a lead-in, and now it barely breaths? I just don’t understand.

9. Kel507 says:

So frustrated that these shows were preempted for baseball! Thank goodness for On Demand, but does that count toward the ratings? Ugh!

10. Ari says:

TTP was so good. The past few episodes have been great. Too bad they didn’t start out this strong.

11. James D says:

crapzilla i wish TTP would get better numbers it’s very enteraining and i would love for it to be renewed. Castle numbers were to be expected.

12. pep says:

THE TOMORROW PEOPLE should be noted they were preempt by baseball. Was such a great episode shnit since mid season this show has gotten better with each episode. I mean ive gotten my dad hooked on it and he’s in his 60s! It’s a shame they put this show on at 9pm on freaking Monday, that’s like a CW murder slot. Hopefully the DVR watches will bump this up. They should do a marathon on a popular day like they did for arrow.

13. MaryAnn says:

The Tomorrow People has gotten so much better this spring than it was in the fall. It’s really really good now. It’s too bad that so many people bailed and now won’t check to see how much it has improved.

14. tv2day says:

TTP was not shown in the NY/NJ/CT tri state area. Boring baseball game was on instead. Sat is when it will be shown.

15. Phyllis C. Stover says:

I only “found” Castle 3 years ago and thought “thank goodness”. I watched all the episodes from the beginning and told everyone that if they wanted a fun, entertaining show with a terrific cast to tune in. I love it the same way I love “Monk”.

16. Jean Alica says:

Tom is bad trust me. Even if he undercover CIA he still has to try and kill Liz to maintain his cover. If he tries that he will not live long because Red will get him. I think Red may know Toms family in the past.