Ratings: Criminal Minds Bests Idol for First Time, NBC Dramas Rise, Arrow and The 100 Dip

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Season 15A typically extra-twisted Matthew Gray Gubler-helmed episode of Criminal Minds this week drew 10.4 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, rising three tenths from its last fresh outing to — if the numbers hold — best American Idol for the first time ever in head-to-head competition. Alas, I have no picture for that episode, because, well, there simply aren’t any.

Opening the Eye’s night, Survivor (9.6 mil/2.2) dipped a tenth to a season low, while at 10 pm CSI (9.7 mil/1.9) also was down a tenth.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Revolution, Suburgatory and 26 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

The aforementioned Idol did 8.8 mil and a 2.1, down a tenth week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Top 8 Performance Recap: We Can Learn to Love (This Show) Again

Elsewhere….

ABC | The Middle (7.1 mil/1.9) and Mixology (4.4 mil/1.6) were flat, Suburgatory (5.2 mil/1.6) ticked up a tenth, Modern Family (8.8 mil/3.2) fell four tenths and Nashville (5.2 mil/1.5) was up two tenths.

RELATED | Kim Roots’ Nashville Recap: One Mother of a Problem

NBC | Revolution (4.4 mil/1.3) ticked up a tenth to its best rating since Jan 22, while SVU (5.8 mil/1.7) and Chicago P.D. (5.7 mil/1.6) each rose two tenths.

RELATED | Revolution Star Talks ‘Intense,’ Deadly Fight and Fearing [Spoiler]‘s Wrath

THE CW | Arrow (2.34 mil/0.8) and The 100 (1.9 mil/0.6) each shed some eyeballs and dipped a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Arrow Recap: Oliver Meets His ‘Worst Enemy’ (and No, It’s Not Slade), Plus Three Big Reveals

1. Stacie says:

Yay for Revolution!!!

2. nate says:

yay suburg

3. A says:

That was the best episode of Arrow in months, so that sucks…

4. wrstlgirl says:

Come on Revolution, that was a great episode last night. This show really deserves a third season in a better time slot :-) I’m surprised at the continuing dips for Arrow. I think the current story line with Manu Bennett is superb.

5. Aimee says:

Go Criminal Minds! Woo Hoo!

6. Name This Tune says:

The choice last night was Arrow or Idol. Arrow won in my house. Watched the performances on Idol in about 15 minutes online after Idol was over.
    Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s numbers.

7. sarah says:

Arrow was so good! Can not believe it slipped.
    Same with Modern Family!
    I am glad that Chicago PD gained viewers, I think this is the first time that Nashville almost caught up. For me Chicago PD is my first choice and I record Nasvhille.

8. Name This Tune says:

Matt, did Idol do 9.7 million or 8.77? I’m reading elsewhere that it was 8.77.

9. Allen says:

I think Arrow is either one of those shows you love or hate…it’s kind of fallen off the radar for me…Oliver has always been unlikable, they continually flaunt the damsel In distress trope (Laurel/Thea), and it’s just feels predictable… I didn’t watch last night cause I figured it would be the same old same old, but that’s just me

• A says:

Last night’s episode was soooooo much better than the last few episodes, you should totally watch it!

• dude says:

I get why you didn’t watch cause the last few episodes have been flops but this was was actually great. Stuff happened. I totally agree though that the damsel in distress trope is employed far too often (practically weekly) and Oliver has never been the strongest lead. This Sara storyline has done a lot of damage to his character for me and all the characters are sorely underdeveloped (save for maybe Moira Queen).

• kath says:

Last night, Arrow got it’s groove back. The best episode since the Christmas break. The show used everyone, Willa Holland and Susanna Thompson were great, and finally there was a purpose to Oliver being such a douche.

It’s too bad so many people gave up on it in the interim.

• Elyse says:

I’ve been having trouble getting into Arrow lately. I’m gonna stick with it and hopefully it gets better. It’s one of the last shows I clear off my DVR each week.

• Katherine215 says:

Same here. Oliver has been rather unlikeable and honestly kind of dumb lately (the second he made Isabel acting CEO, I threw my remote in disgust at his stupidity). I’m not a huge fan of Sara either. I’m in the minority, but I found last night’s episode predictable and kind of boring, unfortunately. And I really loved the first season, too.

• Ben says:

In the first season I agreed with you somewhat. It certainly wasn’t the first show I watched. This season, though – it is pretty much the show I can’t wait to watch every week.

• Claire says:

After several ‘could do without’ episodes, Deathstroke may be evidence that the show is on it’s way to finding it’s footing once again. For the first time in the back half of the season the show was balanced, featuring a return of some much missed regulars — Thea (who was fantastic), Roy and Moira. But most importantly it got back to the original Team Arrow. Felicity and Diggle, they are what made this show work.

I think we’ll start to see an uptick in ratings soon enough. :)

10. Jackson says:

I’m kind of surprised to see both CM and SVU rise since they compete for the same audience. I guess this really speaks more to how many people are abandoning Idol. It’s about time!

11. Titoveli says:

Tobin “Jigsaw” Bell was on Criminal Minds last night and it was awesome great to see him love him on the Saw movies

• Angela says:

It was fun, yeah-he worked well within the storyline.
      Yay, “Criminal Minds”! I wasn’t the only one who did switch over to watch this show and DVR the rest of “Idol”, it seems :p. It was a very creepy, weird episode-but with Matthew directing, indeed, that was to be expected. I liked the way it ended, too-a little different from the way the show usually wraps things up. Like a mini-horror movie.

• MC says:

I always take it season by season with idol. I’m not devoted to their brand and there are plenty of very good young artists who don’t sing on these tv shows. I wasn’t enthralled by anyone who made the top 13 on AI this season, although Jessica was the only one who intrigued me. The Voice has much better talent this season and that is the one worth watching on a weekly basis. Criminal Minds and CSI were both excellent last night and that is where the real entertainment value is for me on Wednesday nights.

• Angela says:

I’ve never seen “The Voice”, so I can’t comment on that show. But yeah, agreed on “Idol”-there have been years I’ve been more invested in the show than others, and this is a season where I’m not all that invested. It’s a shame, because I do like the judges a lot, but there really hasn’t been any contestant that’s truly “wowed” me yet. That could very well change, and I hope it does, but…so far I’m just not as into it.
          I only started regularly watching “Criminal Minds” last year, so I’m way late to the game on that show. But I like the characters, the stories are interesting (albeit disturbing!), and so my focus will remain on that show.

12. shar says:

Revolution and Nashville a must. They have to be renewed, along with Parenthood.

• Ally Oop says:

I feel exactly the same as you. All 3 are my favourite shows on tv right now, along with Orphan Black and Vikings.

13. Kar says:

Go revolution!!

14. Boiler says:

Hopefully this continues to be good news for Nashville. The way ABC has bombed with new dramas at least you know what you are getting. Know its a different network but not too much different from Chicago PD and its renewed.

15. Forwardad says:

Nashville has been ticking up….so take three weeks off have a concert and your next new ep is in 4 weeks. Yeah that will help the ratings -eye roll-

16. Thilia says:

So this would be the penultimate season of Idol? It is falling hard each season.

17. Doug H says:

The best show on TV last night was The Americans.

18. Coal says:

Take the plunge FOX cut Idols loose. You did it with X Factor. There is so much great literature out there to convert to the small. There are also young writers, directors, producers out there give them a chance. Learn from cable and even Sleepy Hollow, 13 is the new 22.

• Ben says:

X Factor was getting down to about 4-5 million/1.0. Idol is still a long way from there. Plus its still making a lto of money and this season has been very well produced, has a good panel of judges etc – peopel can have different opinions about the talent but the show is nowhere near past its use by date. It’s not as through Fox has a huge amount of reality TV hours – they make plenty of great scripted fare.

19. Beth says:

Chicago PD was great last night. I feel like shows that film elsewhere besides Hollywood (like Chicago fire and PD) have much better cast chemistry for some reason. The cast of those shows seem to be like a family.

20. Allison says:

First Arrow episode in about 8 I enjoyed the majority of it. So many have sucked recently I debate if I’m going to watch. I don’t watch live because the FF button is my best friend.

The original trio together untainted by tagalongs was the best moment!

21. Tobi says:

Ugh I wish more people would start watching mixology!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’ll say this, I thought this week’s was the best of the first six I watched in advance. Show’s smartest when really looking at bar/pick-up culture/methodologies.