Ratings: How I Met Your Mother Finale Meets All- Time Highs, Bones and Intelligence Finale Tick Up

Ratings How I Met Your Mother FinaleThough it stirred juuuust a smidgen of conversation, How I Met Your Mother‘s series finale on Monday night drew 13.1 million total viewers while scoring a 5.4 demo rating (per finals), surging 44 and 54 percent week-to-week to end its run on all-time high notes.

PHOTOS | HIMYM Series Finale: The Big Mother Reveal and 15 More Memorable Moments in Photos

Leading out of that, CBS’ sneak peek at the new sitcom Friends With Better Lives — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B-“ — retained 8 mil and a 2.6. Mom (7.2 mil/2.2) actually shed some eyeballs but rose 16 percent in the demo, while the Intelligence finale (5.6 mil/1.2) was up 12 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Intelligence, Almost Human and 26 Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

Facing off against the mighty Mother, Fox’s Bones (5.6 mil/1.5) ticked up a tenth. The Following was flat with 4.2 mil/1.4.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Signed, Sealed and Stolen

Over on NBC, The Voice (12.1 mil/3.4) dipped 6 and 9 percent, but The Blacklist (11.4 mil/2.8) added some eyeballs while steady in the demo.

ABC’s Dancing With the Stars (13.7 mil/2.3) was flat.

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did This Week’s Outcome Surprise You?

The CW’s Star-Crossed (1.1 mil/0.4) rose 25 percent and a tenth, while The Tomorrow People (1.11 mil/0.5) gained 42 percent and two tenths — together, they gave the network its most-watched Monday since Feb. 4, 2013.

The Big Mother Reveal and 15 More Memorable HIMYM Finale Moments

1. Adam says:

HIMYM writers need to take a lesson in “How to write a series finale” by Greg Daniels (The Office)

• Brian says:

I thoroughly agree “The Office” finale was superior (and a PERFECT ending to a sitcom). However, I enjoyed the “HIMY”M finale… just not nearly as much ha.

• jess says:

or scrubs (season 8) finale

• J Ramos says:

I loved the show the first eight seasons being the eighth the best but nine really sucked. Only one good episode every month and a great disappointment on the finale. The whole season was based on a single weekend and the finale was based in so many years. The whole point of season nine was not to leave anything out. Total waste of time and the the writers should be ashamed.

2. Dani says:

I hope HOW I MET YOUR DAD gets buried after last night’s sorry excuse for a series finale. Who would invest in a new show after that outcome!?

• spindae2 says:

I need to agree with you. With the Mom having an ex she will probably go bac to him after 15 seasons. ;-) I love HIMYM but Ted was so neglected in season 7 and 8 that this outcome shouldn’t be such a surprise. :-(

• Brian says:

I’ll check out HIMYD because I enjoyed HIMYM. Depending on the quality of the pilot, I may or may not stick around. This was just an ending to a sitcom… People should chill.

• dude says:

Spoiler alert: In the end, the dad is dead and she reunites with her first husband.

3. nina says:

The only ones who vote FAIL to the finale are the swarkles shippers. Seriously even if your ship is not endgame (I see that from the beginning, ti many issues) the finale wasn’t a fail, stop! many great moment, my otp marshall & lily, ted & the mother and even ted & robin because it makes sense frm the beginning, it’s full circle and barney always loved robin more than she does while with ted of course he loved more too but she said some nice things to him she never said to barney.

But one my fave scene ever it’s barney and hos daughter, his TRUE love, the one changed him reallu

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I voted the finale a fail and the only thing I’ve ever shipped is mail. I don’t care so much about the divorce or even that the mother was dead. It was that they reverted all the characters back to their season 1 selves and ignored all the development they made over 9 seasons.

• EX-HIMYM-FAN says:

this

• ZisforZombie says:

YES!!! THIS!!! As much as the whole Ted/Robin thing annoyed me (like, um, she floated away like a BALLOON!), they made Barney go back to his old ways as well. I can’t believe that after all he went through with Robin, they still made him a playboy. C’mon! What was the point of the series if they were going to make everything revert back to the pilot! Gah. I shouldn’t be this frustrated – after all, it’s just a TV show – but I was really hoping for something else. Bummer.

• Aly says:

I’m sorry but I think you’re wrong. I have never shipped any couple on HIMYM and I still found the finale insanely disappointing.

• Cheeky says:

Agreed! Not everyone watches a show for ships. The fact of the matter is this was poor writing, rushed and contrived

4. GildedRose says:

Glad to hear Intelligence went up in ratings. The first few episodes of this series were rather bad but after that this show really, really improved. I loved the finale and I really hope CBS doesn’t end this series. It deserves a second season to show what it can do.

5. Eric7740 says:

Way to go Tomorrow People!!!

6. Bri says:

Awww ted looks adorable in this picture some of radnors best work those last 5 minutes
    even neil was amazing in that scene with the baby in gonna miss this show

7. luvmypup says:

Although it may not help, I do think that Star Crossed has something to be proud of in that it has lost very few viewers since it premiered. Most new shows lose a good number of viewers. With such incredible competition, it began with HOD recent numbers and has maintained HOD numbers. The show has gotten better and better. I love the show and have to show it some support.

• Melissa says:

I completely agree. It has had better numbers than the previous Monday shows, and it came in as a mid-season show. I really love the pairing of Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People. They are the two shows I am hoping garner a miracle second season pick-up.

8. Sam says:

12 million for a finale? That’s not especially great right?

9. LuLu says:

Glad to see Bones ticked up last night against HIMYM series finally. Loved Bones last night, especially the end, Booth should have run with the cup. Next week all about Highs and Lows as well as Wendell Bray is back

• catherine says:

Have to agree, the other big story of the night, Bones ticking up against MONSTER competition. Very proud of our little show.

• Sarah says:

To say I’m surprised that Bones went up, especially going against the HIMYM finale; not to mention everything else, is an understatement. But I’m so happy and proud of it, too. :)

10. Roger Canada says:

So we got 8 seasons of How I Met Your new Mom.
    1 season of How Everebody Met your real Mom.
    and 20 minutes of How I Met Your Mother

11. Tenney says:

I wanted to give the HIMYM finale an “F”, but the Barney and his daughter scene was fantastic, so I had to move it up a letter grade for that; so it got a “D” from me.

12. SK says:

I really, really hope Intelligence gets renewed. It’s doing better in the ratings and it’s a really good show.

13. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

“It’s all about hope.” That was the intention (and quote from Craig Thomas in this week’s TV Guide) of the ending of HIMYM, and I believe CT/CB accomplished that goal. The story is about trying to find love, happiness, and that comes in many different flavors, no one flavor better or worse than another.

Ted found his happiness – he found a wife just like Lily – he went a different direction than finding another Robin when he courted and (eventually) married Tracy. That’s to his credit – it worked – he & Tracy built a marriage just like he said he would in season 1 – just like Marshall and Lily’s. And Robin and Barney did their best – they tried, they love[d] each other. But to stay together and make each other unhappy wasn’t good for either. And through no fault of anyone, Ted lost Tracy. That is the tragic component of this story. But life can be cruel, unfair. And CT/CB are trying to hit that point with this finale. Life can be cruel.

But there’s always hope. Barney wanted to be a father, and has a family now, a daughter he loves, and has his life back within his own control – that’s a happy ending for Barney. He needed to be in *control* of his life. Lily and Marshall found their happiness, and it keeps working. That’s a life anyone, all of us, can strive for, can envy. So all is well, with the exception of Ted and Robin, who have experienced love, loss and regret. Who can deny them of trying to find some happiness in life? So, the story ends with them trying to find some lost happiness in each other. That’s a nice story – there are no losers here amongst the gang (with the exception of the passing of Tracy) …. there is hope, however, for a better future up ahead for the five of HIMYM.

Regarding the ratings – legendary. I believe HIMYM’s prior all-time ratings high was way back in Season 1 – Pineapple Incident [12.27m]. Last night’s numbers will also go up after DVR+x numbers are added, so we may well see north of 13m viewers and a demo of around 5.7 — believe me, that’s very, very good (TBBT territory). CBS and 20th Century Fox must be very happy this morning.

Congratulation HIMYM – see you in rerun heaven [and DVD sets!]

• John NYC says:

“And CT/CB are trying to hit that point with this finale. Life can be cruel.”

Spolier Alert!

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

“But there’s always hope.”

That’s the final message I think HIMYM is leaving us – that may not meet some viewers expectations, and that’s okay, but I think that will be the final message. From the past two episodes –

“Love doesn’t have to make sense, to make sense”.
        “When you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it.”

Those are the three basic ‘take-aways’ that I’ll remember from this final set of episodes – I think those three ideas were what CT/CB wanted us to try to remember about HIMYM, and maybe, about life in general.

14. Boiler says:

I didn’t like the way HIMYM last season was all in one weekend. Perhaps if the wedding was the first 2 episodes and then they went thru the future with them throughout the season the finale wouldn’t have felt rushed or as much of a shock.