Farewell, HIMYM: Director Pamela Fryman Relives Robin Sparkles, Stinging Slaps and More

Ask the cast and crew of How I Met Your Mother who is the show’s real mom, and they’ll tell you that it’s director extraordinaire Pamela Fryman, who has helmed a staggering 196 episodes of the hit CBS comedy.

To get the scoop on what it takes to make HIMYM magic, TVLine invited Fryman to reminiscence about the biggest scenes and most visually memorable moments over the past nine seasons.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Series Finale Spoilers on Endgames

Which episode was the most difficult to shoot? What melted treat was the director’s go-to for long days? Who traveled through the night to film their guest spot? And what put a smile on star Alyson Hannigan’s face?

Flip through the gallery as Fryman reveals the answers to those questions and shares more behind-the-scenes stories, like what it was like to shoot her last HIMYM scene ever!

PHOTOS | How I Met Your Mother Series Finale First Look: What the Heck Is Ted Doing With [Spoiler]?!

And as the show prepares to say goodbye on Monday night, we invite you take a look at our other Farewell, HIMYM features:

The Sitcom’s Top 10 Most Memorable Song Moments
Farewell, How I Met Your Mother — But Answer These 15 Burning Questions First, Please!
Ted’s ‘Daughter’ and ‘Son’ Spill 7 Behind-the-Scenes Secrets
13 Clue-Filled Episodes To Watch Before the Final Season

1. Brooke says:

Oh my goodness, this made me verklempt. For all the issues I’ve had with this show in its last couple of seasons, it really has brought so much joy and humor in the time it’s been on. It’s time for it to end, but I’m also going to miss it very, very much. And yes, yes, yes to hitting the jackpot with the Mother. She’s been perfect.

• Stacie says:

U said it perfectly. I was one that believed it was time for the show to end, even wanting it to end last season. But I am still sad it is ending. It was on for nearly 1/3 of my life. That’s crazy. It’s just a go to show. I know exactly what I will be watching Monday nights. I remember a few years back it was a tough decision, I was still into Dancing With The Stars, Chuck was also on at 8 and I believe Gossip Girl. I watched all of them, and that was before a DVR, but I would always watch HIMYM even if I had to tape the others. Now they are all gone and DWTS should be winding up soon. It’s sad, there aren’t that many comedies out there like this. Sure you have Big Bang Theory but even that show isn’t what it used to be. It’s sad, but I am glad HIMYM is going out stron.

• N tTVf says:

I stand corrected – thank you. I agree 100% – the fan base of this show is remarkable. I just loaded a couple of mini-clips of the HIMYM CBS promo/preview for this coming Monday onto YouTube. A labor of love for me… a small way for me to provide some sort of small tribute to a really wonderful show.

I noticed that the HIMYM gang has a ‘channel’ on YouTube, and they have loaded quite a few clips, including (what appears to be) some clips from the finale ‘Last Forever’, as well as some ‘Thank You to fans’ clips from cast and crew. Very nice stuff. I just viewed a few of them – wow – I must warn you, you may tear up a bit.

Enjoy the finale this Monday, and I’m sure we’ll all be back here one final time on Monday night/Tuesday morning to give our final thoughts on the show. It has been a great ride. :)

• Babybop says:

Everything you just said.

2. Pinky says:

Can’t wait for Monday!!! :D

3. DL says:

Oh my God, came on here and read this right after watching the cast on Inside the Actor’s Studio. So much love to this show, and beautiful words by Ms. Fryman regarding the last shot. Can’t wait for Monday.

• N tTVf says:

Glad you mentioned that Bravo program last night – ‘Inside the Actor’s Studio’… I really enjoyed it and seeing the cast together for what may be the final time for a good while. I liked the way the moderator asked each actor for their favorite moments, etc., and saved Josh ‘Ted’ for last; and then the last question for ‘Ted’ was how he felt about each of the ‘characters’ on the show, going around from Marshall, Lily and Barney, and naturally, saving Ted’s views on Robin for the very end. Nice touch.

Interesting to note (not to start a big long discussion here), but ‘Ted’/Josh characterized ‘Robin’ as the ‘love of his life’. Hmmm.

• Jackie says:

Actually I just finished watching The Inside the Actors Studio with the How I Met Your Mother cast and Josh as Ted actually called Robin “a great love of his life”, not “the great love of his life”. It’s a small distinction but I think it makes a huge difference.

That being said after reading this and watching The Inside the Actors Studio, I teared up a couple times because it’s so obvious how much these people all really care about each other and how much they enjoy working together. Thanks to that coming across the screen They gave us a wonderful show, that yes had its ups and downs, but that I’m going to miss greatly.

• N tTVf says:

[I just replied to the wrong post - Stacie up-thread must think I'm crazy. Anyway, here's my post to your (Jackie) comment]…

4. Alan says:

i dont think pamela fryman gets the credit she deserves for her contribution to the show, having directed so many of the episodes its really her mark that is left on the show most because its her work as director that creates the style and look of the show. for one person to direct that many episodes from one show is incredible and everyone is so lucky they landed her.

5. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

Thank you Pamela Fryman! :)

Every article I read, every interview I see, from the cast to the producers/creators of the show, they all say the same thing time and time again – the MVP of HIMYM, the Most Valuable Person on the HIMYM team was/is Pamela Fryman.

There is a line in ‘The Last Page/Pt 2′ (which is one of my favorites in the entire series) – it comes at that party atop the opening of the new GNB tower, and the owner of the building says –

“Here’s to Ted Mosley, without whom, none of this would have been possible.” A great moment in the episode and series as Ted walks over to the window to look across town at the WWN building rooftop.

Well, now it is our turn, the fans of HIMYM, to give our thinks to Pamela F –

“Here’s to Pamela Fryman, without her, none of this would have been possible.”

Thank you PF/HIMYM cast, producers/writers and crew for nine amazing years.

6. Taken says:

I don’t really care about the mother, or Ted’s relationship with her (which to me seems too forced and I’ve seen him doing better. Instead, all I care about is Lily, Marshall, Barney and Robin’s outcome. Ted is one of my favorites too so I won’t let my dislike for the mother to ignore him.

7. Joey Padron says:

Pamela has done a great j

8. Joey Padron says:

Pamela has done a great job directing show over years. Hope she’ll get emmy nominations for directing last season of show.

9. Carl says:

Can never read about Pamela Fryman without remembering her stellar work on the late, great Santa Barbara!