Ratings: Elementary Rises, Scandal Dips, Grey's Ticks Up, Voice Rerun Helps Sean and Michael

Ancient HistoryDespite going to bat against Game 2 of the World Series, CBS’ Elementary saw some week-to-week gains this Thursday.

With 8.7 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating (per finals), the sophomore drama was up in audience and rose 20 percent in the demo.

Opening CBS’ night, Big Bang (16.5 mil/5.2) was flat, The Millers (10.9 mil/2.7) fell 16 percent and The Crazy Ones (8.8 mil/2.3) ticked down a tenth. Two and a Half Men (8.4 mil/2.3), though, rose two tenths.

Fox’s World Series coverage averaged 13.4 mil and a 3.6.

NBC’s scheduling of a Voice rerun largely paid off, averaging 5.2 mil and a 1.3 versus the Parks and Rec/Welcome to the Family combo’s 3.8 mi/1.1. Most notably, the second half hour of The Voice did a 1.5 compared to WTTF’s 0.9.

As such, Sean Saves the World (4 mil/1.1) rose 20 percent in viewers and finally stabilized in the demo, while Michael J Fox Show held steady at 3.7 mil/1.2. Parenthood was flat with 4 mil/1.3.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Papa Was a Rolling Stone

Over on ABC, Wonderland (4.3 mil/1.1) lost a handful of eyeballs and a tenth in the demo, Grey’s Anatomy (8.5 mil/2.8) ticked up a tenth and Scandal (8.6 mil/2.9) dipped 12 percent to a season low.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: The One Where Olivia and Jake Kiss Again

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.5 mil/1.3) was flat while Reign (1.84 mil/0.6) dropped two tenths.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recaplet: Hungry, Hungry Stefan

1. Noggster says:

I don’t get why the cutoff for the demos is 49 yrs. I mean you don’t stop buying products once you reach 50…

• Apples says:

They are the segment of the audience least likely to watch TV and hence the hardest and most valuable to reach for advertisers.
      In comparison people 50+ are relatively easy to reach and hence worth less in terms of determining which programs are worth the most to advertise on.

• Adam says:

If I recall correctly, part of it is the idea that consumers 50+ have stronger brand loyalty and more set in their ways, so less likely to try something “new” that may be advertised. Also, targeting a younger demographic builds a younger generation of consumers to keep the brand alive.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correct; older people have greater established brand loyalty and thus are less likely to be swayed by a commercial.

• MP says:

Let my post-demo mother loose in the detergent/dish wash aisle at Target and she will buy anything that’s marked as “new.” It will be interesting to see how advertisers deal with target demos as younger people age. It’s not our grandparents’ world anymore where they used one brand of toothpaste forever. I think many people are not as set in their ways as advertisers think. Just my opinion. On the flip side, I’m young(ish) and am not swayed by commercials at all.

• Nick says:

Good grief are we *STILL* going on about this? We all know how the ratings system works and we all know that nobody likes it. Guess what? Whining about it incessantly on this site isn’t going to change anything. Can we please stop talking about it already!

2. Eric7740 says:

Last night’s Crazy Ones was the best yet, the show gets better and funnier each week. If you’re not watching, you’re missing some great laughs!!!

3. Mika says:

Here are some crazy facts.

Family Ties finished 5th in the ratings for the 1984-1985 season with a 22.1 rating.

Family Ties finished 2nd (behind only The Cosby Show) in the ratings for the 1985-1986 season with a 30.0 rating. They finished 2nd again (behind The Cosby Show again) during the 1986-1987 season with a 32.7 rating. In 1987-1988, Family Ties ranked 17th with a 17.3 rating.

Audience size have fallen mightily.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hmm. I wonder if the 700 additional channels has anything to do with it?

• Dav says:

Don’t forget Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, etc…

• Mika says:

Yes absolutely. I was just thinking about the old days and how now when a show attracts 8M it seems to be a huge hit. It makes me wonder if the numbers of yesteryear are even possible anymore. I suppose NFL gets close.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Don’t forget DVR and delayed viewing. ;) Plus sitting on a series for a really long time because you know you can catch it online, demanding total strangers on the internet not give you spoilers for a show that ended several years ago, then binge watching over the course of a few days.

• ChicagoDan says:

Those aren’t accurate comparisons. HH ratings are one thing, but the audience numbers are another. In 1984, US population was 236M in 2012 it was 315M. That’s almost 80MM more people. Plus as correctly noted there were FAR fewer choices for no only channels, but original programming.

• THE TRUTH says:

Ratings were measured in TOTAL VIEWERS back in the day. Now ratings are measured via a demo.

The guy reporting the ratings don’t truly realize that and claim its the hundreds of cable channels. I guess that’s what’s happens when you are twenty-something and know absolutely nothing about what tv used to be back in the day.

4. ChicagoDan says:

C’mon SSTW a 1.1 demo- from TV 1.5 at 8:30 v. Family’s 0.9 and it didn’t even gain. Yes, it gained some viewers, but it is a disaster. On top of it, SH’s ridiculous whining that the problem was the NBC can’t draw viewers. Yes, it is now the lowest demo on NBC’s regular slate now that Ironside and Family are gone.

5. Shari says:

Scandal dropped nearly 1 million viewers from last week alone. And almost 2 million in 4 episodes. Not surprising at all. The obsession with dumbing down Olivia and forcing Scott Foley and his 3 facial expressions on the masses is not going so well so far.

• Benedict says:

I agree. The episodes are so disjointed this season.

• Eric says:

Except that is fairly normal. Most seasons start out very strong with high numbers, but then they fall and eventually stabilize after a few episodes. Regardless of whether the numbers have dropped, it is doing better than Grey’s Anatomy in the demo (and even viewers), which says a lot because isn’t Grey’s ABC’s #1 drama? As for dumbing down Olivia, I agree that they are doing that. However, I don’t think that is the reason for the numbers falling nor is Jake. Because again, that is extremely normal. The numbers are high in the beginning, but after a few episodes the numbers fall and eventually stabilize. I don’t see Scandal hitting a 3.0 or higher every single episode, but I think it will stabilize with a 2.7 – 2.9. With the occasional episode hitting a 3.0 and the “big” episodes hitting higher than a 3.0. If we are lucky, then the show will stabilize in the 3.0’s, but I don’t know. Regardless, the series is still a huge hit.

• Apples says:

Grey’s is a 10 year old show. Comparison is not really valid.

• Eric says:

That is very true. Regardless though, Scandal is beating every drama on Thursday nights. Aside from Grey’s and Scandal, every drama was in the 1.0’s for the demos. Hell, Scandal is doing better than most dramas on TV right now. This past week, NCIS and The Blacklist were the only dramas to even hit a 3.0 in the demo. Most of the the dramas are in the 1.0’s and some in the 2.0’s. So regardless, Scandal is doing really good. Not sure why some are putting down its ratings. Makes no sense to me.

6. Shaun says:

Huh,nice that Grey’s went up,even during baseball.ABC has a nice Thursday lineup.

7. vcoolwater says:

Looks like CW ratings were artifically high last week. Things are back to normal. Ugh poor CW, only two shows over 1.0 – the two longest running shows. Even Arrow has lost some of its luster with 0.9. Reign and Tomorrow People look dead – 0.6 and 0.7 are horrible. The Orginials is doing decently but below expectations.

I am happy Elementary rose. Last night episode was fun and entertaining.

• MP says:

I wish more people watched some of the CW shows. Some of them are very well done; Arrow, for instance. My friend and I were chatting a few weeks ago about how far this network has come regarding programming. I think I watch something on the CW almost every night. Years ago, I watched nothing on that network. Hart of Dixie is my favorite show. It’s my version of escapist television.

I haven’t liked The Originals so far, which is strange because I liked the characters when they were on The Vampire Diaries. A lot of other people seem to really like The Originals.

• shandelle says:

So what is considered “good” for the CW? I’ve never really watched anything on that channel until giving Reign a shot and finding it totally ridiculous. I remember when it was the WB? and had some of my favorite shows when I was in high school well over a decade ago (Roswell, Felicity, Dawson’s, etc). Knowing little about the CW, is their main demographic young adults still?

8. Aimee says:

Happy to see Elementary tic up!

• tvdiva says:

I agree. I loved this week’s episode and Sherlock’s confession about Joan’s friend. That was a great twist to the story.

• prish says:

The husband had nothing to watch and gave Elementary another try. This episode had such heart it won him over, and now he is looking forward to all the reruns, too. He just accepts he misses some words in the fast dialog. It was a very good show, last night, wasn’t it?

• shandelle says:

Yes! I love Elementary and have been a fan since the pilot. I’ve recently gotten several friends into it, as well. Last night’s ep was great. I’m so glad it’s doing well. It’s the only show I watch on CBS. Well, I’ve been keeping up on Hostages via Hulu (as it conflicts with the not to be BLACKLIST) but I may give up on that one, since it’s very likely to be cancelled soon.

9. steven says:

NBC really isn’t trying to have hit comedies anymore. In the past, they had potential hit comedies, but they screwed them up. Community would have been a good hit had it stayed at 9:30 and didn’t have to face The Big Bang Theory. Outsourced would probably still be around if NBC hadn’t tried to put half-hour comedies at 10 and 10:30. Go On would still be around if they put it on hiatus until The Voice came back on.

• Jax says:

Revisionist history. Community didn’t die because they moved it to 8:00. It was already slowly dying. That’s why it was moved against TBBT. They knew it wasn’t going to grow any more so they might as well put it in the dead zone.

10. Josh says:

Those ratings still suck…Is it really worth it to bench a critical acclaimed/cult comedy comedy like Parks and Rec for Sean Saves The World’s anemic 4 million?

• Dav says:

Is it worth it to bench a show that will probably end this year or next to TRY and grow a new show? Yes, yes it is.

• shandelle says:

Sadly, agreed, and was recently arguing about this with a friend. We’re both huge Parks & Rec fans (and Community fans). But neither show is growing its audience so NBC has basically given up. The internet has popularized Ron Swanson beyond belief but the networks and advertisers only care about the ratings and ad sales. NBC loves to hate both shows and sadly P&R very well may be cancelled after this season.

11. Boiler says:

Just love the ratings system. Scandal and Elementary have basically the same number of viewers but Scandal considered a hit and Elementary OK. I guess my being over 50 and love Elementary not credible. Maybe people have to think to much for Elementary

• Elyse says:

that’s not the problem. I’m 24 and know plenty of people my age or near it who love elementary. none of us have a Nielson ratings box though so our viewing doesn’t really count.

• Boiler says:

Thanks for watching. Can we get you a box??

• Elyse says:

Nielson sent me a survey in the mail weeks ago and i sent it back but didn’t hear another word from them! trust me if i could have a box i would!! i love my Elementary :)

• Christina says:

Yea, as 22 year old it bothers me that some of my favorite shows skew older too. I’d love to have a box and represent.

• Elyse says:

glad i’m not the only person in my 20’s who watches shows that are generally for “older” audiences! my boyfriend and i absolutely LOVED last seasons Vegas but it couldn’t attract enough younger viewers with boxes :( :(

• Mary says:

I love Elementary too, would pick it over Scandal any day! I suppose that´s because I like shows that make me think:)

12. April says:

LOL! I love that pic. JLM is saying “look, we went up!”

13. sarah says:

As always, Vampire Diaries and Greys are doing well.
    I am happy that I decided at the last minute to add Crazy Ones to my fall shows, I love it.
    I love Parenthood and it is one of the best shows on tv, however it just does not have the viewers other shows at that time have, however it is an NBC show and preforming well for that network.

14. James says:

Wonderland should get better numbers… They’re awful!

15. Evyn says:

So let me get this straight, when Shield lost a tenth of it´s demo this week you made a big deal out of it, and it was in the title, now OUAT in Wonderland losses a tenth and you don´t even mention it… what am I missing here?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because SHIELD was down for a fourth straight week. And it had much more buzz coming into the fall than WONDERLAND.

16. Karen says:

I am loving Reign and really hoping it doesn’t get cancelled. I’m 40 years old and still love all the cw shows. Guess I’m still just a big kid at heart. Yes, I do still watch shows like NCis and Greys too.

• Brandy says:

Me too about Reign.Ive also watched most of CWs shows(Privliged,Beautiful Life,Life Is Wild,Life Unexpected,Melrose Lace 2009,Hellcats,Secret Circle,Vampire Diaries,Reign,Beauty & the Beast,Hart of Dixie,Plain Jane,90210,Gossi Girl, Carrie Diaries,Americas Next To Model,BreakingPointe,EmilyOwens MD) & I’m 32.

17. Elizabeth says:

TVLine, you are making me very mad lately. Instead of saying that Parks is being moved to later in November to air double episodes, you make it sound like they are being burned off to be cancelled. Now you say that The Voice preformed so much better compared to Parks with Welcome to the Family’s .8 mixed with their 1.3… in the words of Amy Poehler: REALLY?

The Voice held in the demo LOWER than Parks held up. If you want to split it by the half hour then do that but do not combine them for reaction! Show that The Voice got a 1.2 compared to Parks at a 1.3 at 8pm.

I expect more from you.

18. asd123 says:

Scandal’s success is very dependent on the serialized aspect of the show. This week’s promo showed a the normal case-of-the-week situation instead of one of the serialized stories (that people don’t want spoiled on Twitter or Facebook) and boom it dipped.

19. LovemesomeWabbit says:

Matt, how far can Wonderland go with demo like this? An article perhaps to shed some light on it, would be great! It’s quite fresh compared to the mothership. Please share some info :)

• shandelle says:

While I’ve struggled to get as into Wonderland as I am with OUAT, I’m holding out that ABC will just not renew it and it’ll fade away after the intended number of episodes airs. I’ve heard a lot of people say it was only really considered to be a 1 season spinoff and the ratings have been awful.. but I hate it when shows I’m moderately invested in get yanked and you have to wait for possible dvd release to see the unaired episodes.

20. Paul8148 says:

I predict that Big Bang will have huge DVR numbers this week given that it was one of the best episodes of the who history.

21. liz says:

Thats good for Elementary. It was a fantastic episode.

22. ChicagoDan says:

Finals are out and TBBT went up by its usual .3 demo, TVD went up .2, Scandal down 2.9.

23. Nancy says:

You go, Sean!! I love you and your new show!! Also love CHICAGO FIRE!!

24. abz says:

Is The Crazy Ones worth checking out? I read mixed reviews, but has it been good so far?