Ratings: Glee Soars With Tribute, Wonderland Opens Low, NBC's New Sitcoms Struggle

Ratings Glee Finn DeadGlees tribute to Finn/the late Cory Monteith was watched by 7.4 million total viewers and netted a 2.8 rating on Thursday.

That marks week-to-week gains of 68 and 75 percent, tying Grey’s Anatomy during the 9 pm hour and marking the Fox series’ best demo number since Sept. 2012.

RELATED | Read Our Glee Recap and Grade the Finn/Cory Tribute

Opening Fox’s night, The X Factor (6.3 mil/1.9) dipped one tenth week-to-week.

ABC’s Once Upon a Time in Wonderland — which TVLine readers graded a solid “B” — could use some “Eat Me” cake, and fast. Debuting to 5.7 million viewers and a 1.7, it fell shy of Last Resort‘s year-ago launch (8 mil/1.9). ABC’s other recent-ish Thursday lead-off premiere numbers, for comparison:
* Zero Hour: 6.3 mil, 1.4
* Missing: 10.6 mil, 2.1
* Charlie’s Angels: 8.8 mil, 2.1

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Will You Travel Back to ABC’s Wonderland?

Speaking of new Thursday fare, NBC’s got problems. Although plucky Parks and Rec (3.3 mil/1.2) added some eyeballs and held steady in the demo, Welcome to the Family (2.5 mil/0.8), Sean Saves the World (3.3 mil/1.0) and The Michael J. Fox Show (3.9 mil/1.2) all plunged more than 25 percent in the demo. Parenthood (3.7 mil/1.2) in turn closed the night with a demo drop 20 percent, to a new series low.

RELATED | Parenthood Recap: A Picture-Perfect Spark, Marital Missteps and Brotherly Love

Elsewhere….

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries (2.5 mil/1.1) ticked down just a tenth, while an (oxymoron alert!) Originals repeat did 1.9 mil/0.8 — pending any adjustments due to football preemptions.

CBS | The Big Bang Theory (17.2 mil/4.9) dipped 6 percent in the demo, The Millers (11.9 mil/3.1) ticked down two tenths, The Crazy Ones (10 mil/2.4) fell 16 percent and Two and a Half Men (9 mil/2.3) slipped one tenth to a series low. Elementary slipped to 9 mil/1.9 (tying its low). CBS notes that The Millers enjoyed the best retention of its premiere numbers (94 percent) of any of this fall’s launches.

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy‘s 200th episode drew 8.7 mil and a 2.8, down 10 percent opposite Glee‘s special episode. Scandal built on that to 9 mil/3.1, falling 14 percent from its premiere.

RELATED | Read TVLIne’s Recaps for Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal

Comments (114)

• Wasn’t the potion (“drink me” that made her small and the cake (“eat me” that made her larger?

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 11, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmm. But on the show last night, she ate before shrinking. I shall defer to longtime canon and edit.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 11, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • On the show, she ate the mushroom to shrink (also how the Knave defeated the Chesire Cat) and then threatened to take the “Drink Me” draught in the genie bottle to grow large.

Comment by magreeda – October 11, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, in all the versions I’ve seen it was a cake that made her large and a potion that made her small. From what Magreeda says, in this show it’s a mushroom that makes her small, so maybe they not so much changed the canon but added something new? Maybe the drink me potion was made out of mushroom? lol

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 11, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • On OUAT when Regina and Jefferson went to Wonderland, she broke off a piece of mushroom and gave it to her miniaturized father and he grew to normal size and they escaped through the looking glass.

Comment by Templar – October 11, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • well, it could be that the mushroom is the source of the potion.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 11, 2013 10:41 AM PDT
  • Yikes. I really want to love Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, but it just didn’t have the magic that Once Upon a Time has; I don’t know if it’s the story or a lack of chemistry in the cast.. I really loved Michael Socha and would love to see it stick around just for his character. (and if not, can he please join Once Upon a Time?) I hope ABC gives it at least a couple more chances to improve.

Comment by Charissa – October 11, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEATH SELLS! uggh.

Comment by GuessWhat – October 11, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if only someone would die every week.

Comment by Eurisko – October 11, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Wonderland was pretty good. I’m bored with the other OUAT.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 11, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Wonderland! I’m bummed about the ratings :(

Comment by Elyse – October 11, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m even more glad to hear that this first season of OUATIW is self-contained and won’t end on a cliffhanger. Hopefully ABC will at least burn off the rest of the eps if the ratings don’t improve. I, for one, enjoyed it,

Comment by magreeda – October 11, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely enjoyed it and I’m hoping to see the whole thing too, no matter what happens with the ratings.

Comment by the girl – October 11, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderland is dead, NBC’s lineup is dead too.
    Scandal did well, but Grey’s is under a 3.0 already and it was the 200th episode.
    Glee will fall back to earth next week.

Comment by Choco – October 11, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wonderland is a one-off extended miniseries. They’ll show the whole enchilada.

Comment by WayneInNYC – October 11, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, it was only planned as one. Then they changed it. It’s a really, full-fledged series now, same as anything else.

Comment by B – October 11, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The reality is in the middle; the show is a self-contained narrative with a beginning, a middle, and an end, but was given an order of ‘more than 13 but less than 22′ episodes.

Comment by Davey Elmer – October 11, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure it would be renewed if it did better, like Under The Dome. Just like Hostages, they might air the whole season but it’ll depend on how awful the ratings get.

Comment by Choco – October 11, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think ABC should air the whole series. They have nothing else that will do well in that time slot. At least they use the show to advertise the mothership. I shocked that Once Upon a Time so far is one of the bright spots for the network.

Comment by vcoolwater – October 11, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope it isn’t renewed, Wonderland was suppose to be the first of several anthology series to fill in while Once mothership was in hiatus, they ruined a perfectly good plan by airing it at the same time. Next year they should follow the original plan and be like American Horror Story and expand on the magical realms one at the time.

Comment by Cesar88 – October 12, 2013 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will servive at least 3 more weeks. With all the build up with the Glee tribute, it was always going to open low. For an example look at SHEILD vs. NCIS. During week two SHEILD got creamed by NCIS, but that was because Ziva was leaving. The next week, they beat NCIS and was renewed.

Comment by Me – October 11, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought Glee was against Grey’s Anatomy. Wonderland was the hour before.

Comment by Emily – October 11, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • SHIELD wasn’t renewed; it was granted a full-season pick-up. Renewed would mean renewed for a second season.

Comment by Andy – October 11, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Glee won’t even be on next week… or the week after that. Not sure when it comes back, but it probably won’t be till at least November.

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 11, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s Nov 7th.

Comment by Lois – October 11, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • and I wonder how much the raitings will drop. Personally I’m not even sure if I’m gonna be turning into to Glee “Post-Hiatus”

Comment by Jake – October 11, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s what ABC get for not making Wonderland a “winter hiatus” series.

Comment by Dan – October 11, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I think ABC made a mistake. I think it would have been great to have Wonderland come on during the break that Once Upon a Time has between December and March. That would have been perfect. I think the problem is that ABC just didn’t have enough shows for the FALL. If they had a better crop of new shows to roll out they would have stayed with the idea for Wonderland to be a 8-12 episode winter series.

Comment by Stacie – October 11, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree also but didn’t the ABC genius Paul Lee say they had a great development year?? Not sure of the affects but 2 of the 3 biggest TV markets had NFL teams playing last night

Comment by Boiler – October 11, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Vampire Diaries was preempted by football in the Greater NY/NJ area. That probably explains the down-tick.

Comment by WayneInNYC – October 11, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s still a solid audience. The episode was pure gold. So much happened in that hour really great work. I’m surprised The Originals held this steady matching their viewership from Tuesday. It’s the mighty VD entrance. what will CW do when it ends?

Comment by Maki – October 11, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thats not how preliminary ratings works. Everything airing on cw at 8 PM is being counted to the rating of TVD. Only in the finals you get the actual numbers of people who watched Vampire Diaries. And in most cases the adjustment go down from 0,1 – 0,3 demo point. Preemptions actually make the numbers higher then they really are in the preliminary ratings.

Comment by Ranna – October 11, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not at all surprised by Wonderland’s ratings (go up against TBBT and you’re going to get creamed) but I hope ABC gives the show a chance. I think the show could be really fun and even though some of the effects made my poor heart cringe, I do like the cast and would really like to see how the story unfolds in future episodes. Not surprised by the huge Glee turnout either (though I didn’t watch myself after giving up on Glee two seasons ago…I never got that attached to it) but that audience will be gone again when the show comes back from it’s baseball induced break. Hopefully Grey’s and Scandal both did all right with their ratings last night. =)

Comment by HeatherC – October 11, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read that Grey’s did a 2.8 demo, down from a 3.0 last week, and Scandal did a 3.1, down from 3.6.

Comment by Choco – October 11, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I really like the Michael J. Fox but those numbers are really bad…

Comment by Mike B – October 11, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because this g——- Nielsen Ratings system doesnt factor in the family viewership but instead goes after that loser demo. If it was done right, shows like Modern Family would be a Top 10 staple.

Family shows will never be TOP 10 hits again like they were back then because Nielsen can’t get their head out of their a$$.

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are incorrect. Nielsen counts ALL viewers – so, yes, families counts. As far as the demo, blame ADVERTISERS, that’s the number they want. Has nothing to do with Nielsen. And, frankly, Modern Family is hardly a family show.

Comment by ChicagoDan – October 11, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • BS!

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, it’s true. The remote has buttons for each viewer in the house so when a 10 year old watches a show as opposed to a 35 year old, they click their assigned button and the box takes that information down. If all family members are watching a show, they all click their respective buttons. That’s how they keep track of each demographic. But the only one they care about right now is the 18-49 Which is dumb. The baby-boomers will have all aged out of the demo by Dec 31st of this year. People are living and working longer. Unlike 20-30 years ago, people in the 50+ category are tech savvy, have disposable income and make up a fair amount of the Alpha viewers. Nielson needs to take a more 21st century view of the landscape.

Comment by Rowan77 – October 11, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
  • Oh dear God, NBC, move Parenthood now!!! What were you thinking putting it up against the most buzzed about show on the planet!!! My dog could make better scheduling decisions!!

Comment by John – October 11, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. It plays on Fridays here in Canada – and its a pretty bare night otherwise. Seems like a smarter move for NBC.

Comment by liz – October 11, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks matches the best for NBC last night while being up against The Big Bang Theory…

Comment by Elizabeth – October 11, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the original plan was to air OUAPIW during the OUAT hiatus, then they gave it a series order. I think they should stick with their original plan.
    Glee handled the episode very well. Glad I watched it, even though I was never the biggest fan.

Comment by Gerald – October 11, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! Even though we would have had to wait longer for Wonderland, it would have been better to fit into the hiatus. And then putting anything up against Big Bang right now is pretty much suicide. Bad decision making on ABCs part there.

Comment by English – October 11, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This week the ratings soared for Glee, because the 2-3 million people that have checked out of the show since Season 3/4 returned to watch the tribute to Cory, those people will be gone next time GLEE is new again. So the numbers aren’t real, in my opinion. The show just isn’t great anymore, last night really proved that. I mean hearing Amber Reilly sing like that, and seeing people like Puck, and even Mike Chang, and the returnees to McKinley of Santana and Rachel and Kurt really showed how much they are missed there. The show is something different, it’s never gonna be the same, and the ratings are and have been proving that for a couple years now.

Comment by Stacie – October 11, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100%. Last night’s show was a showcase of what Glee used to be. The focus was on the best actors and characters the show has and it hit home how bad the new cast is and much Blee/Blaine has done to drag the show down. People tuned in because they love Cory/Finn/Finchel, that 70% increase are people that left from S4 through episode 2 of S5. If anything Glee will probably be back to or lower then the 1.6 they did for ep 2 because after last night the remaining Finn and Finchel fans will leave.

Comment by Tess – October 11, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I left the show last season. But, last night was a show that was a necessity. I had to say goodbye to Finn. I’m glad that Finn brought in 7.4million viewers. Glee can’t can’t muster 2 plus million now. I hope this makes the Fox execs and RM realize that what they’ve got is not working. They lost me episode 3 season 4.

Comment by Sela – October 11, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s me. And I loved the episode. Even through the tears I managed a hearty laugh with “post op Michael Chiklis” still funny now 😆

Comment by Sara – October 11, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree and I am one of those people who broke up with Glee middle of the season last year. I watched last night because I wanted to see how they were going to say goodbye to Finn/Corey. I thought the show did a pretty good job.The song Seasons of Love just proved to me how much I missed Puck & Mike and especially hearing Mercedes sing. And when they were all in room in Glee Club, it just did not seem right. The new kids are a poor imitation of the original cast members. The character Unique is no Mercedes!

Comment by BlueBelle – October 11, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad you are the spokesperson for those 2-3 million people

Comment by KC – October 12, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS has the must see Thursday comedies for me now ,I stop watching Glee in the middle of season. 3 but DVRd the episode

Comment by Joe – October 11, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooo. I want Wonderland to succeed! I’m already so invested! Alice has always been my soul animal and I love any and everything Alice in Wonderland. But besides that, I want the show to succeed because I thought it was interesting, fun, creative and just plain good.

Comment by rachelle – October 11, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last nights Glee was amazing. Heartbreaking but so beautiful! It’s amazing how good that show can be when they focus on the real talent the show has instead of gimmicky songs done by actors that can’t hold a candle to the Original Cast. Matt Morrison was fantastic, the best he has been since S1. Chris Colfer showed how much Kurt has matured and how much better Kurt is without Blaine. Naya Rivera also showed how Santana has grown. And Lea Michele is on a whole other level of everything. I felt like I was intruding on her personal grief, yet was so captivated by every note she sang and everything she did. This was the perfect way to say goodbye not just to Cory/Finn, but to Glee. I remembered watching last night why I loved Glee so much and at the same time realized the show I loved is gone, it ended in S3. So thank you Ryan Murphy for 3 amazing seasons of Glee and thank you for finally providing some closure to the entire series.

Comment by Farewell Glee... – October 11, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The “newbies” from Season 4 have been mostly back-row dwellers during the first three episodes of this season, making the show much better. This tribute episode proved that the original cast had “it” while the “newbies” just pale in comparision. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the show returns in November, but now that Puck is leaving for the Air Force and the other originals (Mercedes, Mike, Brittany) have been taken off contract it is clear that the “newbies” will be front and center again at McKinley while sharing time with the NYC storyline.

Comment by dan – October 11, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From the spoilers I have seen the next episode (504) has some good NY stuff but after that it’s back to Blee/Newbies/Blam in 505 and 506. The NY crew hasn’t filmed much at all the last two weeks, it’s been all Newbies, Blaine and Sam. So no thanks, last night was it for me.

Comment by Deb – October 11, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprise that Glee did better last night as tribute episodes to any late castmember always improve the ratings as people want to see how that performer is honored. And they did an amazing job. The ratings will go back to where they were unless the presence and promotion of Adam Lambert brings in a little more. Here’s hoping the quality of last night’s show sustains throughout most of the season.

Comment by ronnie – October 11, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given the new spoilers for eps 504. 505 and 506 they are back to the crappy stuff that defined S4. Lots of Newbies/Blaine/Blam with a little bit of NY thrown into the mix. I love Lea, Chris and Naya but they are giving such little screen time it’s not worth my time anymore.

Comment by Glee – October 11, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not true. Not sure what you are reading, but NY will be the focus for the remainder of S5 and all of S6

Comment by KC – October 12, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should have left Wonderland as a hiatus event as intended. Another horrible, suicidal, move from ABC scheduling.

Comment by Jo – October 11, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the ratings on other networks were probably affected by the Glee tribute episode. Things will probably look much different next week.

Comment by Alex – October 11, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee’s taking a 3-week break because of baseball, it will return November 7

Comment by Stephanie – October 11, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really think ABC was silly for putting Wonderland on Thursday night [I had to PVR it and watch at 9 cause of BBT which I still watch, hoping they'll give Raj a decent story]. I’m sure ABC has other commitments, but it would’ve worked better by airing after OUAT on Sundays. I enjoyed the episode – it had some slow bits, weird CGI, and the flashbacks are too scattered/close together so far to work as well as the original. The Red Queen’s duck face was also distracting. That said I actually like Wonderland better than OUAT season 3 so far [1 ep vs 2 eps] which has lost the magic it had in season 1. Airing against the Glee farewell probably hurt some #s too. I’ll keep watching with my fingers crossed that they don’t cancel it too soon and actually give it a chance to breathe and grow,

Comment by Nicki Dreyer – October 11, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone remember how in the 90′s tv shows garnered millions of viewers. Not just 5-10 million but Seinfeld used to get 20-30 million viewers weekly. As did friends, frasier, cheers, Cosby show, golden girls etc how pathetic that people would rather watch stupid “reality” television like the kardashians instead of a well scripted, well acted television show! This and the the fact that television shows are mostly remakes of what did not work in the 70′s and 80′s is the reason ratings have gotten so low!

Comment by Jackie – October 11, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Nielsen prefers the loser 18-34 demo, not total viewers or the disposable income earners or the elderly or even families.

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How, even theoretically, would Nielsen’s alleged preference have any impact since they don’t buy advertising air time on shows but simply count a sample of viewers, give some demographic breakdown data to their paying customers and keep struggling to adapt to the new tech delivery options.

The total viewers numbers are their total count, then things like “the demo ratings” effect their customers desire for a breakdown of what type of viewers are watching to aid in deciding who to pay money to air their advertising. Nielsen is rather transparent to the process (not that their methodology doesn’t somewhat bias against younger viewers that often are using alternate media channels to view shows).

Advertiser buyers pay for shows and so pick “winners” and “losers” financially, not Nielsen. Or?

Comment by John 1138 – October 11, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And viewers decide if they want to fast forward the ads, therefore viewers win.

LOL at the Nielsen and loser demo defenders.

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “Demo defenders”, wtf? Stating facts is not “defending”. Advertisers care about the demo, they will pay more if a show is watched by a lot of people aged 18-49. That is a *fact*. As is a fact that Nielsen doesn’t care one iota about the demo. Their job is delivering the numbers, and that’s it.

If you have a problem with the demo, your beef is with the advertisers, not with Nielsen.

But all this has actually nothing to do with why ratings are so low nowadays. The reason for that is extremely simple – cable channels are producing more and more original content. Scripted original content, not just reality shlock. The number of TV viewers as a whole hasn’t changed, how these viewers are distributed between broadcast and cable has.

Comment by Gusar – October 11, 2013 01:19 PM PDT
          • You know what defining the difference is?

K.I.S.S is what Nielsen needs to do like it did back then.

Number of viewers= the program’s rating.

So if 20.3 million viewers watched a certain show, then it is a 20.3.

Nielsen is what people in America has long suspected: the country is run by corporations so technically they don’t care about the people!

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 01:40 PM PDT
      • It’s obvious you know nothing about Nielsen ratings. Are the Nielsen ratings flawed?! Of course they are. Compared to how many people actually watch TV and how many are actually Nielsen families there is a huge discrepancy and anyone who does research knows that the sample size is too small to make any conclusive findings. But what you are saying is just ridiculous and completely bias. There are TWO ratings numbers for a reason. One is total viewers and the other is the 18-49 demo. The 18-49 is always SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the total number. All you have to do is quickly glance at the numbers to notice that. Also, stop being disgruntled and calling the 18-49 demo losers. It’s rather elementary and not necessary to post on multiple comments.

Comment by Jillian – October 11, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anything, it’s proven that original casts that brought the viewers back to watch glee. Last night episode deserved the high ratings because they focus on the original casts who brought glee to success in the first place. RIB can deny this fact all they want and focus on Blaine Sam and newbies again after the hiatus and no doubt in my mind that the ratings will go back to 1.6. They need to realize what’s people interested in and what’s not in glee

Comment by Ringgo – October 11, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually the ratings were up because of the amazing person that Cory Monteith was, so everyone went to watch to celebrate his life. The show low ratings it’s because writers can’t write good stories anymore, don’t come with this shenaningans of “the new cast is better” and such, as much as you think it is… that wasn’t the reason why it scored good ratings.

Comment by Laura – October 11, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t speak for everyone else but I quit watching because I hate the new characters, and a LOT of comments and posts seem to support this reason for the declining ratings. I haven’t watched last night’s episode yet but I will, though only because it’s primarily about the old characters. In my opinion (at least before I quit watching sometime last season, I couldn’t speak for more recent episodes) the writing doesn’t seem better or worse than it was before; storytelling on Glee has always been more than a little ridiculous.

Comment by Kristina – October 11, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man that’s what ABC gets, they don’t know how to schedule shows. Sundays should be both once and wonderland and either move revenge to 10/9pm or move it to Thursday with scandal and Greys. Then Nashville also have a terrible time slot which needs to be moved to Sundays at 10/9 or Tuesday at 10/9. Trophy wife and Goldberg are better then SFN n back in the game and should have place them on wed. Instead. Because honestly SFN and Back in the game are shows that won’t last for a while.

Comment by Fernando – October 11, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Something like that would seem logical, get “theme” blocks to attract people of various viewing preferences.

Comment by John 1138 – October 11, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m always amazed at how different my viewing is compared to what I see here. CBS has so many viewers with their comedies and I find them all to be terribly unfunny. Oh well, I’ve come to realize I will never be in that target demographic. I agree with those saying Wonderland should have been kept as a hiatus for OUAT.

Comment by Francine – October 11, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please…. If there is TBBT going on, who will watch anything else?

Comment by Para – October 11, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderland up against The Big Bang Theory, was a mistake for ABC. After I watched TBBT, I switched over to catch some of the Wonderland. I am a OUAT fan, so watching OUAW, not sure if I will continue. Some of the visual effects seemed cheesy to me and when I have watched OUAT, I never had that feeling.

Comment by Pat – October 11, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I plan on watching the episode later, but the ratings don’t surprise me one bit. I think ABC made a huge mistake putting OUAT in Wonderland on Thursdays. It’s the busiest night in television and it never really stood a chance. I wish they had stuck to their original plan of having the show bridge the gap between the two halves of OUAT’s third season. It’d be better, I think because it would be in a timeslot that OUAT people are used to and since it’s a spinoff of the original, it will still have that OUAT feel and tide fans over till the season resumes.

Comment by abz – October 11, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD is fantastic this season! Paul Wesley having the dual roles has brought a fresh take to the show.

I think OUAT Wonderland’s biggest problem is that OUAT isn’t strong right now.Last season lost some of its magic (pardon the pun). Backward momentum isn’t the moat ideal way to launch a new spinoff IMHO.

Comment by Ava – October 11, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, it is starting off way better than anything that happened in season 4. Speaking of that- why no recap of TVD this time?

Comment by Francine – October 11, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All you Glee haters..do you think they hired Demi Lovato and Adam Lambert so they could phase out NY. Come on. Open your minds to new stuff. The old characters have other things going on now. Gee I can’t believe how many people still want Britany. Don’t they know she just had a baby??

Comment by Boiler – October 11, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Name another show in history that has replaced 75% of its cast and succeeded. Never happened, never will. Goodbye, Glee. You were great–for that first season and a half.

Comment by meem – October 11, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Like your math skills.

Comment by Boiler – October 11, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Phase out NY? Ryan said they would cancel Glee if Lea had decided to leave. He said Lea/Rachel is the show. And most recently said Rachel will have big focus in S5 to make no doubt about it that Lea is the Star and lead of the show. If anything they might be phasing out Lima once the seniors graduate. I agree, new is good, new as in more NY with fresh SL’s instead of Newbies redoing the same old SL’s the originals cast did in S1-3.

Comment by NyGlee – October 11, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy welcome to the family, so I hope they go up in the ratings.

Comment by emily – October 11, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everything ABC has ever put on Thursdays at 8 is DOA. Wonderland was more fun than the mothership has been in over a year. The Red Queen actress is horrible! Everyone else was a ton of fun.

Comment by David4 – October 11, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m worried for Greys. This season and season 9 has been so good. People should watch it.
    The michael j fox show is at the wrong time. It would do better on another night. It so so so good and funny.
    Betsy Brandt and MJF are amazing. The kids are funny and the aunt too. Anne Heche was also funny tonight.

Comment by shuayb – October 11, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD is likely to have one more season to wrap things up…. The ratings are sliding and its getting dumb.

Comment by shuayb – October 11, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because of too much focus on that loser demo.

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh my god dude can you please take your vendetta somewhere else. all you do is parrot the same butthurt complaints in thread after thread. you are the worst.

Comment by Betsy – October 11, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have about 10 minutes left in Wonderland, but I really like it. I hope it can stick around.

I LOVE Parenthood, but do not really care for Christina running for mayor. Boring. Plus, I’m really sick of real politics, so I’m not really interested in seeing a fake story. Especially seeing the scenes for next week where she’s going to have to decide if she wants to take a donation from a sleezy guy she doesn’t agree with. I can’t help but wonder if that is affecting the ratings, as well as the stupid time slot. This is a nice show, it belongs at 8pm (Central time – where I am), and a show like SVU belongs at 9pm. I just don’t get TV execs – but that’s because I have a brain.

We are watching the AMC Breaking Bad marathon yet, so a lot of our shows are stacking up – but we try to watch as much as we can. We will have a hard time going back to The Crazy Ones, we hated the pilot. Haven’t really watched the other new NBC ones yet – and maybe we won’t have to.

Comment by CountryQueen – October 11, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I didn’t expect the low ratings for Wonderland. I wonder if ABC will move it to try to save it, or just let it die off there. I think they need to move it behind the original if it’s going to have a prayer of surviving. Cancel Betrayal (it’s dead anyway), move Revenge back to 10pm, and put Wonderland at 9. That might save it. Or not, I don’t know. Maybe people just weren’t as interested in Wonderland as everyone seemed to think.

Comment by JC – October 11, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can people stop with the ratings went up last night for Glee because they were focusing on the originals? Newsflash: the people that were featured this week (besides Mark) have been regularly recurring on the show. Doing The Beatles didn’t increase the ratings, bringing in Demi did nothing. The only reason people tuned it was for the Cory tribute. I watched last night for the first time since the season three finale. To say goodbye.

Comment by Dee – October 11, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think if they would drop the Newbies and Lima and focus on NY with Rachel, Santana and Kurt, kind of a real Glee reboot, more people might watch. Lots of people now wait until tumblr posts the NY stuff or DVR and FF past all the Lima BS because they hate the Newbies and Blee and refuse to watch live.

Comment by Alli – October 11, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Glee hasn’t just died off, much like the actor.
    What, too soon? Glee’s already on life support.

Comment by P H (@projecthalo) – October 11, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are really a jerk!! If you don’t watch Glee don’t comment

Comment by Boiler – October 11, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Last Resort. That show was awesome.

Comment by liz – October 11, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No worried about TVD, as in some places it was preempted.
    Greys was only down as people who do not watch Glee most likely tuned in to see the tribute.
    I am worried about Parenthood, sadly I see this as the final season, hope I am wrong as I love this show!

Comment by sarah – October 11, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s what NBC gets for cancelling Go On and then putting the Michael J. Fox show at the weird time of 9:30. Clearly rabid squirrels have taken over Thursday nights.

Comment by Daisy – October 11, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COME ON PARENTHOOD….*#*#**#*#*#*#*#* SCANDAL -______-

Comment by nateddog – October 11, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad about Wonderland’s soft opening. I find it considerably more fun than the original series.

Comment by Sheldon W. – October 11, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is sad about the “OUAT in Wonderland” ratings. I totally loved it and all of my “OUAT” friends who watched loved it as well. I know a lot did DVR it as it was up against the comedies. I too agree ABC should have kept this to air during “OUAT”s winter hiatus. From what I’ve read this season is a complete story and if was going to be renewed next year would have a whole new story. Based on the ratings my guess is we’ll get the 13 ep order they got as a complete miniseries now with the possibilty to keep some of the characters like Michael Socha’s Will on “OUAT” for next year.

Comment by Amanda – October 11, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Some Thoughts on TV.

Comment by tvfreakum – October 11, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After the BS of the Emmys and other award shows pumping up the death of Corey Monteith in lieu of other stars(yes, it’s horribly sad, & he was a talent, but to ignore other far longer living stars was wrong), I am not surprised that Glee took the night. It wouldn’t have mattered if the bloody Rapture happened, Glee was going to take the night. Hopefully now we let Corey rest in peace, quit milking the tragedy, and get a balanced view of where shows will come in, starting next week.

Comment by Scotty – October 11, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure its not perfect but I just love the newbie show ‘The Crazy Ones’. I think it has a lot to do with the different comedy styles of Sarah & Robin Williams: their apparent incompatibility makes it even compatible. Plus I loved the father-daughter angle in 1×03!

Comment by Rich Abey – October 11, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its time for NBC to give up comedies on Thursday. Cancel everything except Parks & Rec and move it and Community to Wed nights.
    The Middle is no Juggernaught and I think NBC’s could compete there.
    Find whatever show they have that has the least common audience with TBBT and put that on Thursday.

Comment by Justin – October 11, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is a show that would have not survived back when the ratings were actually tallied properly; it would have been gone after one season.

Comment by THE TV CRITIC – October 11, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Move Parenthood to Wedensday at 8.
    New Thursday: