Ratings: The Office Surges With Swan Song, Idol Down Sharply Vs. 2012 Finale, Scandal Hits High

Ratings Office Series Finale American Idol DownFox’s crowning of a new American Idol on Thursday drew 14.3 million total viewers while scoring a 3.6 demo rating. While that of course marks week-to-week gains, it represents sharp declines of 33 and 44 percent from Season 11’s coronation night and the first time an Idol finale failed to deliver 20 million viewers.

RELATED | American Idol Season 12 Finale Recap: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Finalists

In fact, The Big Bang Theory‘s season finale (14.8 mil/4.4) scored Thursday’s biggest audience and demo number, while dipping 10 percent week-to-week. (The hitcom’s previous finale did 13.7 mil/4.4.)

Leading out of that, Elementary‘s two-hour freshman finale (9 mil/2.0) ticked up a tenth.

RELATED | Elementary Finale Recap: Moriarty Revealed!

The Office‘s series finale found 5.4 million people RSVPing, while netting a 2.9 rating — up 19 and 26 percent and hitting its best demo number since Jan. 19, 2012. (Due to Office overrun, Hannibal‘s unclear numbers are not yet worth reporting.)

RELATED | The Office Series Finale Recap: Best. Prank. Ever.

Over on ABC, Grey’s Anatomy drew 8.6 mil/3.0, down a tenth week-to-week and off 25 percent from its previous finale, and Scandal (9.1 mil/3.2) delivered its most-watched episode ever while matching last week’s all-time demo high. Versus its freshman finale, Scandal surged 25 and 39 percent.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Finale Recap: I’ll Be C-ing You

RELATED | Scandal Finale Recap: The Truths Are Out There

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.2 mil/1.0) was flat week-to-week and down from last year’s finale (2.5 mil/1.2). Beauty and the Beast‘s finale (1.34 mil/0.5) added a handful of eyeballs.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Finale Recap: A Stefan Twist, a Cure for One Vamp and [Spoiler]‘s End

RELATED | Beauty and the Beast Finale Recap — Plus Jay Ryan Talks Season 2

1. Pati D says:

Yay Scandal!! I am going to miss you all summer.

2. Esaul says:

Awesome job The Office and Scandal. :D

3. Alice says:

So what. The Neilsons are a scam and a joke. When all shows get cancelled to “low ratings” and people start finding other venues, the neilsons will be out of business. Programs went from radio to television. Soon we may not even watch tv, but shows online. Lets get an accurate representation of tv viewers.

4. Dryden says:

Hey, let’s fudge the numbers and say The Office’s overrun is really a 2.9 for Hannibal. We all want it to get renewed, right? Right!

5. Nicole says:

Loved the Big Bang and Grey’s Finales and for what its worth Hannibal was awesome last night!!!

6. Anoninga says:

Im getting frustrated with all of the scandal love. It’s a good show, but the premise is so specific that it won’t be able to last nearly as long as greys. And thanks tvline for listing the competition greys had, it did amazing considering what it was up against. Of course scandal would do better.

• Christian says:

Wah wah go cry to your mommy. The fact of the matter is that no one wants Scandal to go on as long as Grey’s has and become a turgid, insipid mess like that show has become. That show has been running on fumes for years and I would hate to see that happen to my precious Scandal!

• Mary says:

8M+ is hardly fumes, especially given 9 years. Most shows dream of those numbers.

• Twilight123 says:

Absolutely! Go Grey’s! It’s pretty much unheard of to still pull numbers that strong as a serial drama in its 9th season!

7. Leigh says:

TBBT wasn’t that good last night. As a stand alone episode it was okay, but as a season finale it was kind of a let down. I was very surprised but will still watch next season.

• Pat D. says:

Other than a couple of specific episodes (“the parking space fight” and the one with Regina King from Southland, when Sheldon told his assistant she was an egg sandwich) this season was pretty weak compared to earlier seasons IMHO.

One thing was good about last night’s finale was the writers FINALLY ending that tired comedic arc at the end. (being as vague as possible for those who havent seen it yet).

8. Benajmin says:

Headline is kind of misleading. Scandal had practically NO competition, so of course it would have done well. Grey’s Anatomy deserves praise for holding its own, even when up against numerous other shows.
    Rant over.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

SCANDAL had the exact same competition it ever had this spring — ELEMENTARY (aka TV’s No. 1 new drama) and HANNIBAL. In fact, the 15-minute OFFICE overrun slightly increased the competition as 10 o’clock came around. So yes, drawing its largest audience ever is still noteworthy.

9. shuayb says:

Scandal was superb! ABC must promote the heck out of it to retain those numbers come September…

10. Paul8148 says:

TBBT final was decent, but not as good as the last two episodes. Atleast they finally did with Raj what should of been done a few seasons ago. Also I figure they was going to be some hook with the job like Sheldon secertary end up with the job on a boat somehow (to explain they keep having her pop up thoughout the season).

11. HeatherC says:

Grey’s had some of their toughest competition of the season last night (AI season finale and Office series finale) and they still did pretty good overall. That’s a nice 1-2 punch ABC has on Thursday nights and I’m glad they’ll both be in those same spots next season! Both finales were pretty darn great last night. =)

12. mike says:

does anyone know how Nashville and arrow supernatural CSI Chicago fire did on Wednesday

13. c0rinne says:

Never seen office before but I did catch the last 15 minutes because I was waiting for Hannibal. Those 15 minutes weren’t very funny, but it was interesting so I’ve decided to watch the show on Netflix.

14. Midori says:

Scandal is awesome!

15. A says:

Beauty and the Beast had a 1.34/0.5!? The CW should have put it on Friday at 8/7c next fall instead of Monday at 9/8c. If it can’t gain numbers with The Vampire Diaries, it won’t gain numbers with Hart of Dixie.

16. John says:

Was hoping TVD would match the last season finale even though I haven’t seen the last few episodes yet.
    Grey’s will hopefully get adjusted up. It was great.

17. cjeffery7 says:

i don’t watch Scandal, but good for it!

18. Tania says:

Talk about a crowded Thursday. There was something for everyone.

Elementary’s season finale was excellent. Loved the twists (one of which was very refreshing to see). Wonderful performances. I’d like to single out Jonny Lee Miller. He knocked it out of the park last night. I’m looking forward to Season 2.

As for the ratings, I believe those numbers will change (On Demand, DVR). Elementary gets far better numbers than what’s listed on here.

19. Tania says:

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t find Scandal good. It is very cartoonish. I saw the midseason episodes and found the lead characters interesting, but that interest quickly waned. It’s a mess of a series and I guess that people just like it that way. More power to them.

20. Vicki says:

I have been a dyehard Idol fan for years and I watch the Voice too. This time I didn’t. Why? I watched their talented group and no one compared to the girls on Idol. I want a true talented singer..not a flash pan talky singer who has neat rhythms. I want a SANGER! So to fine that, you HAVE to come to Idol. But was it the judges that lowered the ratings? No, I loved Keith and Nicki (Mariah can go and Thanks for the memories NOT Randy). I think it’s the song choices. BORING. Candice won for she had great choices in songs. But even the finale. Is that all the boys can sing is 50’s music? BORING. The person fired should be the person who decides the music.

21. jake says:

I love the voice and dateline.

22. jake says:

I think American idol needs to get new judges.Reba would be fun.Next, have the contestants sing songs they know.Re-think the song lay outs.Jlo was fun.