Ratings Update: Zero Hour Clocks In at Record Low for ABC, Community Drops Hard

ADDISON TIMLIN, SCOTT MICHAEL FOSTER, CARMEN EJOGO, ANTHONY EDWARDSZero Hour on Thursday night premiered to 6.3 million total viewers and a 1.4 rating (per Nielsen finals), making it ABC’s lowest-rated in-season scripted premiere ever.

The byzantine conspiracy drama was down 41 percent in the demo from Last Resort‘s launch and down 38 percent from Missing‘s spring 2012 opener.

POLL | Zero Hour: Will You Be Continuing With Ze Search for Ze Clockkkks?

Leading out of that, Grey’s Anatomy drew 8.4 million viewers and a 2.8 rating (adjusted up in the finals), while Scandal (8.04 mil/2.7, per finals) ticked down a tenth week-to-week.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Scandal and Grey’s Anatomy

Of note: For Valentine’s night, TV usage across primetime was down 6 percent, people being in love (or out looking for love, sometimes in electrical closets) and all.

Fox’s American Idol (13.2 mil/3.6) dropped a handful of eyeballs week-to-week while slipping 12 percent in the demo. Glee (5.2 mil/1.7) fell 13 and 23 percent.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for American Idol and Glee

Over on CBS, The Big Bang Theory (17.6 mil/5.4) drew the night’s best demo while sliding 7 and 13 percent. Two and a Half Men led out of that with 13.7 mil/3.8, dipping 3 and 7 percent. Person of Interest dominated its hour with 14.8 mil/3.0, ticking down just a tenth, while Elementary was steady at 10.9 mil/2.2.

RELATED | Big Bang Theory Valentine’s Episode Recap: Two Cute

Community‘s honeymoon period didn’t last long, as Week 2 of Season 4 (2.75 mil/1.1) plunged 29 and 42 percent to an all-time low. Parks and Recreation led out of that with 3.2 mil/1.5, down 16 and 25 percent. The Office‘s hour-long episode (4.1 mil/2.0) ticked down just a tenth. An SVU repeat (3.6 mil/1.0) improved on Do No Harm‘s second/final episode demo by 43 percent while more-or-less matching its audience.

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.3 mil/1.0) dipped 8 percent and a tenth, while Beauty and the Beast (1.41 mil/0.5) ticked down 5 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Is [Spoiler] a Goner?

What were you tuned into this Thursday? Or did you and your honey score a dinner reservation at that quiet French place?

1. Tina says:

You should have asterisk next to Greys/Scandal. Unlike last week, scandal started at 10:02. It’s possible in finals for Greys to rise and/or Scandal drop to a tenth.

2. Drew Herring says:

Lol! Did NBC really think “Do No Harm” was going to be a success?… NBC has only one good show: Parks & Rec.

Scandal was great last night! I’m so proud of this show’s rising popularity. Definitely the best sophomore drama ABC has on their network at the moment.

Thanks for the update, Matt!

3. Tran says:

Hope Zero Hour gets canceled soon but Community better get back on track if it means getting renewed for a Season Five. :-(

• Jerri says:

I hope Zero Hour doesn’t get cancelled, Community on the other hand, has overstayed its welcome a few years ago.

• Dennis says:

i just started watching Community, i’m caught up now thanks to hulu love that show and Zero Hour was on hulu a couple of weeks ago so i already saw it

• Randall says:

Just curious, why do you hope that it gets cancelled? If you didn’t like it then don’t watch it again.

• Sg. Grant says:

That is kevin for you. He always comes here and posts terribly written comments on the ratings posts that always start with something like, “Hope [insert any show name here] is cancelled” and then he adds some other gibberish to the post. He is almost as bad as Jules.

• Tarc says:

Zero Hour had a very interesting, but slightly unbelievable premise. It was a hundred times better than Community, though. It’s not funny, and never has been.

4. Jackie says:

Way to go POI!! It just keeps getting better.

5. Amiee says:

I knew Community was going to fall but…OUCH!

6. Joe says:

Well I won’t bother with zero hour now that I know the ratings tanked

7. Kotobka says:

How come we no longer get Elementary topics each week?

8. liam says:

It’s a shame about Community but I’ve really not enjoyed the last two episodes. Hopefully the rest of the season will be an improvement but if this is the final season I won’t be too cut up, especially if the Donald Glover sitcom is picked up.

9. Dave Stone says:

lol at Community drop, all week their fans have been telling anyone that would listen the show was going to be renewed all because of one decent weeks ratings, can’t wait to hear the excuses for last nights rating.

• ec says:

lol at Community fans who really wanted the show that they love to do well and stay on the air? A show that happens to be smart and a refreshing departure from the standard-issue CBS laugh track multi-camera shows. You can’t just let them like something without rejoicing in the ratings misfortune of their show? Hope life gets better for you, man.

10. TV Gord says:

That’s too bad for Community, but I’m not terribly surprised. Last week’s episode was not very good, in my opinion, and I imagine a number of people who believed the hype and tuned in to check it out last week would not come back for a second helping.

The sad thing is…this week’s episode was MUCH better.

• Patrick says:

I know. Last week was decent, but sub par for Community. This week was a great episode. had it aired on Halloween week as intended, it would have been much more popular.

• Angela says:

Unfortunately, I think this is pretty well spot on. And I agree, I too liked this week’s episode.
      Still, though…*Sighs sadly*.

11. Willo says:

Do you have anything besides the Demo numbers for NBC?

12. Madeline says:

Ouch @ The Vampire Diaries. If it’s 2.3 mil / 1.0 rating holds, both Arrow and SPN will have beaten it for the week.

• Ariadne says:

Actually SPN is on par AND TVD had to deall with TBBT,Americal Idol and Valentine’s Day!Plus,expect a CW dominance next week because last night’s episode was terrific!

• Sg. Grant says:

I’m assuming by CW dominance you mean that the TVD will dominate the CW, and not that the CW will dominate any other network.

13. Dav says:

Valentines Day showed no love to Broadcast TV!

14. Spike says:

TVD 1.0 BATB 0.5

15. JJ says:

Considering how bad NBC is doing right now, 1.3 isn’t that terrible (relatively speaking).

16. Rrrrrr says:

SO happy for Scandal. I freaking love it when an audience embraces a show that actually deserves it.

17. Tom says:

Did anyone else think Anthony Edwards died of a brain tumor 10 years ago?

18. Jade says:

I guess ill just enjoy BATB while it lasts cause those ratings are rough.

19. Elizabeth says:

Save Parks and Rec! Watch Parks and Rec! I will never understand why people do not watch this show…

20. Joe says:

Didn’t help community’s episode was supose to air in October

21. wrstlgirl says:

That time slot for Zero Hour is a killer on ABC. When was the last time anything was successful there? Anyone know?

22. leigh says:

I hope community gets better so it can be renewed for season 5

23. Why the tectonic shift for Community? The Big Bang Theory fell the same amount, too. It’s as if that 0.8 is represented not by people who watch one or the other, but both somehow. Doesn’t make any damn sense. Curse you, fickle Nielsen viewers.

24. Para says:

I am so sad for glee… That was such a great episode last night

25. Yesterday's Child says:

Just surprised that POI here has not caused a little more buzz. An amazing show, with a great cast, and right now is totally in control of that time slot. Oh yea right, it’s on CBS and on this site, that is liking having the swine flu for fans. That is sad, sorry.

• Janice says:

Actually it’s pretty much the same on any site. Mostly old people watch CBS therefore their shows don’t create any buzz on the internet. That is why ratings are a poor way to measure the popularity of a show… CW shows which are very poorly rated create a hudge hype on the internet and internationally
      On a side note, POI is NOT in control of its time slot. It only managed to beat Grey’s in the demos twice this season and we’re talking about a 1st year show with the BEST lead-in on network tv against a 9 year old show with no lead-in at all. WELL DONE, CBS, congrats!

26. Todd says:

RE: Community

Last night’s episode was terrible and worse than the season premiere.

Dan Harmon’s absence is really noticeable. The writing has lost the subtlety and intelligence of previous seasons.

I never thought I’d say this but I wish NBC had cancelled “Community” and let it end on a high note.

• Mike says:

No!, this episode was without a doubt better than the premiere.

• kavyn says:

“This episode sucked” and “I own an I<3DanHarmon shirt" seems to always be mentioned together when someone bashes the show. Dan Harmon's gone and if that suddenly means you hate the cast and writing crew then I suggest you keep yourself occupied with Dan Harmon's upcoming projects and leave Community alone.

NBC firing him doesn't mean the rest of the crew deserves your insults.

• TV Gord says:

Right on, kavyn! I’m still furious that Dan is gone, but I’m still rooting for the show, and I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he was, too. I would think he’d still have an affection for what he created and wouldn’t want to see it destroyed in his absence. I wish more of his fans (of which I am definitely one) could “get” that.

• Angela says:

Thank you. Plus, it’s going to take a while for the new people working on the show to gel with the cast and crew and all that sort of thing. Obviously it won’t be perfect right out of the gate. It’d be nice if people were willing to give the new setup some time to find its legs.

27. Boiler says:

Didn’t watch Zero Hour nor did I watch Last Resort but its another example of networks not learning to stick with shows. I don’t think Big bang was a huge hit initially but now look at it

28. Krys says:

I actually zero hour. They crammed a little bit to much in a hour but it was actually good. I really hope abc gives it a chance or put it on a less competive night might actually help the show

29. Mike says:

It’s Valentines Day if Community isn’t up even a bit next week, then we can sing its doom.

30. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Scandal may pass Greys faster than I realized – I thought by April, it may happen by March. That’s not a bad thing – that’s not saying Greys is not doing well – it is. But Scandal is the younger show on the rise. This 9pm fall’13 change for ABC is coming, and that’s not a bad thing. I’m hoping fans can get behind the move of Greys to Wednesdays at 10pm – that’s a good spot on a night that also has Modern Family at 9pm. All ABC needs to do is find a solid 9:30 comedy to place between ModFamily and Greys. Keep your eye out for ‘How to Live w/Parents’ – the Sarah Chalke series debuting in April.

And ABC won’t be alone in making changes on Thursdays at 9pm. CBS, NBC and FOX will be making changes in that time slot as well for Fall’13. Changes can be good – Thursday nights are the most important night of the week in Primetime, and 9pm is the hour to place your best, hottest, new-great potential shows.

• Jessica says:

I’d watch Grey’s on Wednesday nights. I have made the move with GA before and plan to ride it out until the end (as long as most of its original season one actors stay on it). As far as Scandal, it would lose me as a viewer on Thursday’s if Grey’s left, which I hardly think would matter. It’s doing fine for a show in its 2nd season. It’s simply that GA is what I tune in for and stick around to watch Scandal afterwards and though I do like Sandal, it’s an over the top, guilty pleasureful, fun show which is alright if I catch it later on in the week, so my viewing Thursday would most likely lean to CBS and Elementary. Personally, I’d hate to see Grey’s move from Thursdays, but it won’t change my tuning in to see it wherever it lands.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good feedback, and hopefully more fans would be willing to follow Greys to Wednesday. Interesting to consider, I remember when Greys first started out – it was a bit over-the-top, a guilty-pleasure as well, and that’s what made it so cool to watch. I think over the years as the actors, writers, etc. have gotten a bit older on Greys, they (and the characters) have settled down a bit, as we all do as we get older and hit our 30s/40s. But I think that ‘over-the-top’ factor is a key component as to why these shows become ‘hot’ and need to be on Thursdays. Those are the types of good, guilty-pleasure shows that the networks want/need on Thursday nights.

Potential side note – don’t bet against Elementary also being moved out of Thursday nights. If (a big IF) CBS needs the 9pm hour for a new comedy block in the fall, PoI or Elementary would need to move to another night. Both are outstanding shows, but PoI’s ratings are quite strong, where I’ve noticed Elementary’s ratings (considering the lead-in) are good, but not on par w/PoI’s numbers. That may be nit-picking on my part, but if CBS needs to move one or the other, I think Elementary may be the one to move (Wed 9pm?).

31. Shaun says:

Greys and American Idol were great last night(Loved the singing ladies more than the guys episodes).Vampire Diaries had a great twist at the end.

32. ollie says:

I ended up missing the last 20 mins of poi. can anybody tell me what happened since there are no recaps for it and its not online on cbs bc studio doesnt want it to which sucks.

33. tina says:

BATB has the ablity to be great but it is up against some tough competion on other channels. I think if they give it a second season!!! (which they really should, please please please) if they move it to another night like tuesday it could do a lot better.

34. Kira says:

For me Beauty and the Beast replaced TVD for must see TV on Thursday nights. I absolutely LOVE it!!!! The writing is excellent as are the actors. Really hoping it doesn’t get canceled!!!!

35. Jon says:

The network oversold Zero Hour, yes there’s a conspiracy and looks like it could be a rollicking good fun, but they made the lead a know-it-all jerk. The series would’ve been better served if Anthony Edwards had played it like an everyman Tom Hanks.

36. shuayb says:

ABC is doing a lot more promotion of Scandal which is a testament to the increase in ratings. Also it could have been that a lot of people decided to go out and come back by the time Scandal starts. It was Valentines day after all. What I don’t get is why ABC thought premiering Zero Hour at that time on Valentines Day was such a great move. ABC needs to really look at their scheduling for the rest of the season and the fall.

37. Luke says:

The final ratings are in. Greys went up to 2.8 and Scandal dropped to 2.7. Scandal did not beat Greys.in the demo.

38. Elyse says:

woo!!!!!! go Greys!

39. Sarabi says:

I liked this week’s Community better than last week’s, but I found Britta to be a little unnerving. Usually I really appreciate her character.

40. Britta Unfiltered says:

Ouch, Community. I kind of saw that coming though. I knew there were a lot of lookey-loos just there for the premiere to see what it was like post-Dan Harmon. Plus they may have lost a few die-hard fans. I’m still trying to decide what I think about the show this season. I’m willing to give them a couple more episodes before I form an opinion. Right now it seems like they have good concepts that aren’t quite following through and being pushed to be as funny and clever as they can be. Last night’s Scooby Doo episode could have been great but didn’t really reach its full potential. I did laugh hard at Pierce’s sex dungeon. Though that was another area where I think they could have pushed it a little harder and made it so horrifying it would have been hysterical. Why wasn’t the Gimp costume from the Pulp Fiction/My Dinner with Andre episode in there? Better yet, why wasn’t the actual Pulp Fiction Gimp down there?
    Also, Britta’s ham costume? She’s supposed to always be in animal costumes for Halloween. Because Daddy never took her to the zoo. I also can’t see Britta dressing as a piece of meat for Halloween without having some line about how society was trying to turn women into meat through sexist advertising or something like that to go along with it.

41. Robin says:

I actually plan to watch Zero Hour…its on the DVR and all….

42. Len says:

Looks like community didn’t just sink itself, but it trashed it’s lead out (parks) ratings as well. Two birds (cancelled) with one stone?

43. Madmac says:

I liked Zero Hour better when it was called Missing

44. Alicia Lucas says:

sorry enjoyed zero hour…not surprised it didnt do well in the ratings…people are fickle and NONE of the networks give shows a chance to breathe before cancelling….GIVE THE SHOW SOME TIME TO BREATHE!!!! it makes me soo mad….

45. i was surprised by how much i enjoyed Zero Hour. I’d at least like to see a few more episodes before making up my mind for good. Also, I didn’t watch it until Friday night, due to being busy, so why are these ratings the most used excuse for tv? it’s a SAMPLE, not a true polling. idiots.

46. cummunisist says:

i’m a fan of community, but these 2 episodes have been just really, really bad. no wonder it was delayed. and no wonder the ratings are so low. it’s just not the same show anymore. the writing if not the same, and i mean it’s bad. all i see is the same faces but totally different, bad, show. sad really. i love previous seasons.

47. AndieL says:

I actually liked Zero hour, but OF COURSE it had low viewership on premiere night…they posted it on Hulu ahead of its broadcast airing so a huge chunk of its likely viewers had already seen it. They really won’t have valid numbers until ratings for episode 2 are in.

48. Ljpk says:

Zero hour has an interesting theme but he acting is horrible. The lead character, the husband, is not even convincable that he has any emotion at all. It is terrible. Sad the idea was great.