Ratings: Community Returns Up, Scandal Ties Series High, Do No Harm Drops Even Lower

Ratings Community Season 4 PremiereCool, cool, cool.

The long-awaited, oft-delayed Season 4 premiere of NBC’s Community on Thursday night drew 4 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating, up a tenth in the demo from its Season 3 opener — which did not air opposite American Idol — and rising 38 percent from its last finale. All told, it was the cult fave’s best rating (and the Peacock’s best performance in the Thursday lead-off time slot) since March 15, 2012. UPDATE: Community was adjusted up to a 1.9 in the finals.

RELATED | Does Community Still Make the Grade? Vote!

That teed up Parks and Recreation (3.8 mil/2.0) for a season high rating and its best delivery since November of 2011. The Office (4.3 mil/2.1) was flat, while 1600 Penn (2.8 mil/1.1) dropped two tenths.

Capping NBC’s night, Do No Harm fell 30 and 22 percent from its lackluster launch to 2.2 mil/0.7.

Over on CBS, which swept the night: The Big Bang Theory (18.9 mil/6.1) rose 8 and 13 percent, Two and a Half Men (14.2 mil/4.1) was up 4 percent and two tenths, Person of Interest (15.2 mil/3.2) added a few eyeballs but was flat in the demo and Elementary (11 mil/2.3) ticked up just a tenth in its first outing since the Super Bowl showcase.

RELATED | Scandal Post Mortem: Shonda Rhimes Defends Killer Twist, Weighs In on Fitz’s Shocking Decision — Plus: The Show’s 18 Juiciest Jaw-Droppers!

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Desperate Measures

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy (8.8 mil/3.1) saw an 11 percent demo gain, while Scandal (8 mil/2.8) ticked up a tenth to match its all-time high.

RELATED | Glee Recap: Diva-ine Intervention

American Idol (13.2 mil/4.1) lost just a few eyeballs and dipped 9 percent in the demo. Glee (6.1 mil/2.2) rose 11 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: ‘There Is No Peace’

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.5 mil/1.1) was steady in audience but slipped two tenths in the demo, Beauty and the Beast (1.52 mil/0.6) was down 12 percent and a tenth. (Beasties, what do you make of that ending? Cop-out, or an understandable reaction?)

1. Susie says:

How did Beauty and the beast do in the ratings?

2. Bath ratings dropped. There was a game on where i lived so not sure what was up

3. Yoki says:

Put Do No Harm out of its misery already. Scandal was amazingly awesome lady night.

4. taliesin says:

I thought Elementary was good last night. We learn Holmes really does have a father and I was all-but certain he was going to fall back into the drugs – and he might have. Watson should do a urine test on him asap. I also think Holmes might have learned from his father that Watson isn’t on the payroll any more – which is why he was so eager to go with her to the group session – he understands what she’s doing to help him.

5. Jared says:

So happy BATB wasn’t preempted in Philly. I would have been so mad!

6. Joe says:

Well I will delete Do no harm off the Dvr without watching it Since it will be gone REAL SOON, Scandal & Elmertary are kicking butt

7. Amanda says:

Yay! Community!

8. Jacqueline says:

So happy for Shonda and her shows, especially Scandal, love it!!!

9. Ari says:

Huzzah!!! Welcome back Community! Huzzah!!! Congrats on your best ratings since 2011 Parks & Rec!

10. wrstlgirl says:

Admittedly Do No Harm is horribly written but I have to say that the cat and mouse game between between the two personalities is kind of amusing.

11. Terry says:

Really good episode of Grey’s last night, glad to see it was up a bit.

12. Tran says:

Good news: Community is here to stay. Bad news and REALLY bad news: Do No Harm is on the verge of cancellation.

• Bob says:

The premise is just terrible for Do No Harm. In real life, the guy would already be locked up and picked apart by government scientists.

13. South says:

It makes me happy that Grey’s still can come out on top of Scandal with the promotion and buzz Scandal is getting. Go Grey’s!

14. Jess says:

So happy for Shonda and her shows, especially GREY’S, love it!!!

15. Mike says:

It stinks that Communitues return was up, but it was not its strongest episodes.

• Mike says:

It means its great!

• Josh says:

haha you Britta’d that one :p…but I agree it’s great…Though it wasn’t the best episode, I think it was funny enough that people will stink around. Not episode is a Halloween episode by Megan Ganz…Now that’s going to be AMAZING.

16. FF says:

M&M. Great news for Shondaland!! But I just love Idol this year. Nicki minaj is better than Simon.

17. lll says:

Person of Interest was great last night–as usual.

• mtnlady says:

I completely agree with you! I just wonder when the show AND it’s cast are ever going to get the recognition they deserve. Next week’s promo looks great as well. WAKE UP magazine editors, critics, and media magazines…there are millions, like me, out here that would love to see POI on the front of your magazines and some double-page articles on this great group of people!

18. Short-Lived Excitement says:

Community will fall next week. It was weak last night.

• Bob says:

So was Big Bang Theory. Switched over during Community commercial and it looked like most of them (not Raj) were phoning it in (literally for Howard).

19. Jay says:

Wasn’t last week’s series finale of 30 Rock the highest rating in the Thursday lead-off period since March 2012? It earned a 1.9 and got 4.88 million, whereas Community earned 3.98 million and a 1.8.

20. yvette says:

Do no harm seems interesting Give it a shot, And also I think NBC needs to put into consideration that one there was storms in some areas last night so we couldnt watch and two it wasnt on the lineup at least not on my end.

21. Sarabi says:

I still can’t believe that so few people watch Community and Parks & Rec. These are the best comedies on TV right now!

22. Alienate says:

Hey NBC Execs! How about this idea? “1600 Do No Penn”. President’s son turns into an actor that harm’s everything he touches.

23. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I DVR’ed Do No Harm and watched it this morning at breakfast before going to work. I will say this – it is really nice to see Alana de la Garza back on series TV, and although I know DNH is not long for this world, while it is on, I will enjoy every minute of Alana.

Greys and Scandal both look good last night – ratings holding up well for both. I’m still going to maintain my prediction that something big is coming next fall into that 9pm slot – and perhaps on all four networks! I just have a feeling – NBC is certainly going to need to do something new at 9pm [and 1600 is not the answer], ABC has options, but I think they will make a [smart] change either at 9pm, 10pm, or both; and Fox w/Glee – a change may be necessary to bolster the show and ratings, even moving Glee to 8pm slot until Jan’14 when/if Idol returns to Thursdays.

CBS is an interesting case for Thursday at 9pm. PoI is doing great there, but I recently read an short article in TV Guide quoting [I think it was Nina] regarding the negotiations for bringing 2.5 Men back for one final season next fall. She said with HIMYM ending its run in spring 2014, CBS needs to find some new comedies and needs to create as many opportunities as possible for those new series introductions, including using 2.5 Men as a lead-in for a new comedy. Hmmm. Moving 2.5 Men back to Mondays for one final season doesn’t make sense at this point, and Big Bang is not going to be moved. Hence, where else to place 2.5 Men on the schedule so that it can be used as a lead-in for a new comedy next fall? 9pm Thursday?

• ajintexas says:

Watching a show because some actor you like is on it and not based on the content or writing quality of the show is a pure waste of time. Unless it is John Noble. John Noble is never a waste of time.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I know, you’re right. That’s my one weakness in watching TV. The only excuse I have for myself is that in most cases, given enough time, I’m be able to pry myself away from the TV, but in this case, it is Alana de la Garza. I have no defense mechanism when she’s on the screen. ;)

• wrstlgirl says:

Oh Brother!

24. mia says:

re: beauty and the beast I really liked the ending. I would have preferred Vincent realizing Cat was the one a *little* earlier but I absolutely LOVED how Cat was all ‘no, I won’t be a second choice’. She’s so badass and such a remarkable woman. I’m glad that there’s a romance narrative on tv where the female lead won’t take crap just to be with her man. Cat has self worth and I loved her so completely when she stood up for herself at the end. LOVED IT.
    Though I’m looking forward to watching Vincent win her back.
    This show needs to get renewed so bad.

25. Cool ... Cool Cool Cool says:

I’m so happy Community had decent ratings (decent for NBC at least). It wasn’t it’s strongest episode (which is unfortunate for the season premier), but it was still a really good episode. I hope new viewers stick around. Aside from The Office (which is on it’s way out, so it doesn’t really matter), it seems as if Community performed the best for NBC. Hopefully, that means they’ll keep it around. Sure, I’d love to have Dan Harmon back, but if that relationship isn’t going to be renewed, I’m willing to get over it because I love Community too much to not go to the finish line (whenever that may be) with the show.

26. G says:

Have to admit I am guilty of not watchign Do No Harm yet. I have them sitting on my PVR. I will watch them, but already bracing for the cancellation. It is too bad because Steven is a great actor.

27. bobbie says:

Some people are just now discovering Community! It’s a fine time for that, eh?
    Most of the people I know don’t even watch tv as such, but shows online only. Really.

• Amiee says:

I don’t think its new people discovering Community so much as existing fans chosing to watch the premier live instead of recording it. I’m happy it is up but I suspect it will fall back to its usual numbers next week.

28. Jackie says:

If BatB was exempted in some markets for sports there is a good chance that the preliminary rating will go down.

29. B says:

Can someone tell me HOW ON EARTH The Big Bang Theory gets NINETEEN million viewers while Parks get FOUR? I’ve convinced myself that CBS cheats or SOMETHING because it just doesn’t make since. I mean, personally, I only watch one show on CBS now and it’s HIMYM. I don’t get CBS. Someone please explain.

30. Very good post. I am experiencing a few of these issues as well..|